Is Emma Frost a Genius?

• 85 results
#1 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

I understand she's extremely intelligent. But is she a genius? I say no.

#2 Posted by Precise (22886 posts) - - Show Bio

In certain areas i can see why she's considered a genius, like psychology. But in the traditional sense of the word and affecting all areas.. then i would have to say no.

#3 Posted by Gloom (3653 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't she able to build, like, super-complex machinery that can have numerous functions (including mind control)? I'd say she is.

#4 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
Gloom said:
"Isn't she able to build, like, super-complex machinery that can have numerous functions (including mind control)? I'd say she is."
What did she build?
#5 Edited by TheDrifter (26557 posts) - - Show Bio

Her bio in the Marvel Handbooks list her as a 3 in Intelligence
#6 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
TheDrifter said:
"

Her bio in the Marvel Handbooks list her as a 4 in Intelligence

"
That's centuries old.

Gambler said:
"Gloom said:
"Isn't she able to build, like, super-complex machinery that can have numerous functions (including mind control)? I'd say she is."
What did she build?"

Mutant locating devices.
#7 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
TheDrifter said:
"

Her bio in the Marvel Handbooks list her as a 3 in Intelligence"
Now post Reed's or even Xavier's and see how she compares.
#8 Posted by Gloom (3653 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I'm no Emma expert and too lazy to look everything up, but here's the wiki version:

"She is an electronics expert and is highly skilled at inventing devices that amplify, block, or engage psionic energy, as well as exploiting flaws in most electronic equipment. Emma has designed an array of devices some of which are the Mutivac; a mutant locater capable of monitoring the psionic levels of mutants, the Hallucinator used to induce hypnotic hallucinations to brain wash others, a gun-like device that enabled her to exchange minds with another individual and the mechanism which enhanced and enabled her Hellfire Cohort Mastermind to project his illusions directly into the mind of the Phoenix."

Now, I know wiki can hardly be used in any debate, but I'm sure this information could be looked up or something.

#9 Posted by TheDrifter (26557 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"TheDrifter said:
"

Now post Reed's or even Xavier's and see how she compares."
On it
#10 Edited by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
Gloom said:
"Well I'm no Emma expert and too lazy to look everything up, but here's the wiki version:

"She is an electronics expert and is highly skilled at inventing devices that amplify, block, or engage psionic energy, as well as exploiting flaws in most electronic equipment. Emma has designed an array of devices some of which are the Mutivac; a mutant locater capable of monitoring the psionic levels of mutants, the Hallucinator used to induce hypnotic hallucinations to brain wash others, a gun-like device that enabled her to exchange minds with another individual and the mechanism which enhanced and enabled her Hellfire Cohort Mastermind to project his illusions directly into the mind of the Phoenix."

Now, I know wiki can hardly be used in any debate, but I'm sure this information could be looked up or something.
"
Nice. But doesn't Forge create devices on a regular basis? Doesn't make him a genius. It even states, "Electronic expert" and is "Highly Skilled at inventing" makes no mention about her being a genius of any kind.
#11 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"TheDrifter said:
"

Lol, that same thing was posted in one of Beast's forums and Fesak dismissed it because it wasn't up to date.
#12 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"Lol, that same thing was posted in one of Beast's forums and Fesak dismissed it because it wasn't up to date."
So she wasn't a genius before, but through time became one?
#13 Posted by Precise (22886 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"Gloom said:
"Well I'm no Emma expert and too lazy to look everything up, but here's the wiki version:

"
Nice. But doesn't Forge create devices on a regular basis? Doesn't make him a genius. It even states, "Electronic expert" and is "Highly Skilled at inventing" makes no mention about her being a genius of any kind."
I don't believe it's the same. Granted, i'm no expert on Forge, far from it even. But i believe that's part of his powers while Emma Frost does that with her own smarts.
#14 Posted by Gloom (3653 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"Nice. But doesn't Forge create devices on a regular basis? Doesn't make him a genius. It even states, "Electronic expert" and is "Highly Skilled at inventing" makes no mention about her being a genius of any kind."
That's actually 'cause I didn't quote the whole paragraph:

"Frost has a genius intellect and is a superb businesswoman with a college degree in business administration, and is a highly capable planner. She is an electronics expert and is highly skilled at inventing devices that amplify, block, or engage psionic energy, as well as exploiting flaws in most electronic equipment. Emma has designed an array of devices some of which are the Mutivac; a mutant locater capable of monitoring the psionic levels of mutants, the Hallucinator used to induce hypnotic hallucinations to brain wash others, a gun-like device that enabled her to exchange minds with another individual and the mechanism which enhanced and enabled her Hellfire Cohort Mastermind to project his illusions directly into the mind of the Phoenix."

I know it's somewhat arbitrary, but, IMO, if you're able to manipulate people's endocrine & nervous systems as skillfully as she does, you are a biological genius.
#15 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"pixelized said:
"Lol, that same thing was posted in one of Beast's forums and Fesak dismissed it because it wasn't up to date."
So she wasn't a genius before, but through time became one?"
years of picking brains apart would get you some added smarts
#16 Posted by The Scientist (630 posts) - - Show Bio

NNnnnnnno.

#17 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

....this is why i stay out of battle threads. lol

#18 Posted by Vance Astro (91356 posts) - - Show Bio

That handbook page above is from 2005.I doubt Emma went from 3 to 6 in 3 years.

#19 Posted by Darkchild (41303 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler this is pointless, you know Pix isnt going to agree to disagree or even admit he could be wrong.

#20 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"That handbook page above is from 2005.I doubt Emma went from 3 to 6 in 3 years."
she managed to shooot up to "most powerful telepath on earth" in that time.
#21 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
Darkchild said:
"Gambler this is pointless, you know Pix isnt going to agree to disagree or even admit he could be wrong."
Wow DC..ok.
#22 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
Gloom said:
"Gambler said:
"Nice. But doesn't Forge create devices on a regular basis? Doesn't make him a genius. It even states, "Electronic expert" and is "Highly Skilled at inventing" makes no mention about her being a genius of any kind."
That's actually 'cause I didn't quote the whole paragraph:

"Frost has a genius intellect and is a superb businesswoman with a college degree in business administration, and is a highly capable planner. She is an electronics expert and is highly skilled at inventing devices that amplify, block, or engage psionic energy, as well as exploiting flaws in most electronic equipment. Emma has designed an array of devices some of which are the Mutivac; a mutant locater capable of monitoring the psionic levels of mutants, the Hallucinator used to induce hypnotic hallucinations to brain wash others, a gun-like device that enabled her to exchange minds with another individual and the mechanism which enhanced and enabled her Hellfire Cohort Mastermind to project his illusions directly into the mind of the Phoenix."

I know it's somewhat arbitrary, but, IMO, if you're able to manipulate people's endocrine & nervous systems as skillfully as she does, you are a biological genius."
Hmm, nice Gloom. But it is Wiki :P I'm interested in seeing a scan where someone mentions genius and Emma Frost together. Or her page from an up to date Marvel Handbook. Something that actually depicts her as a genius.
#23 Posted by Vance Astro (91356 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"Vance Astro said:
"That handbook page above is from 2005.I doubt Emma went from 3 to 6 in 3 years."
she managed to shooot up to "most powerful telepath on earth" in that time."
Powers grow that fast..intellect doesn't.
#24 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"....this is why i stay out of battle threads. lol"
Nah its all good Pix. No one is getting heated or anything. I think your making a good case (for what its worth). i just don't think there's any evidence (aside from the wiki page) that supports Emma being a genius.
#25 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"pixelized said:
"Vance Astro said:
she managed to shooot up to "most powerful telepath on earth" in that time."
Powers grow that fast..intellect doesn't."
her power can influence her intellect. I'm a telepath, i read your mind, i know what you know.
#26 Posted by TheDrifter (26557 posts) - - Show Bio
Darkchild said:
"Gambler this is pointless, you know Pix isnt going to agree to disagree or even admit he could be wrong."
LMMFAO
#27 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"pixelized said:
Nah its all good Pix. No one is getting heated or anything. I think your making a good case (for what its worth). i just don't think there's any evidence (aside from the wiki page) that supports Emma being a genius."
no no, it's not about it getting heated, it's just the "find scans" that's such a turn off. It's like, "let's have sex...after i put on my wooden leg"
#28 Posted by Gloom (3653 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"Hmm, nice Gloom. But it is Wiki :P I'm interested in seeing a scan where someone mentions genius and Emma Frost together. Or her page from an up to date Marvel Handbook. Something that actually depicts her as a genius."
Haha, that's why I normally refrain from using wiki in debates: it's basically undermining oneself. :P

Still, she knows exactly how the endocrine system (hormone-secretion) functions and what modifying it will cause in a victim, fully understands the human nervous system, masters speech functions and their complex way or working as well as thought patterns and psychology. She's like a psychology genius with a minor in biology and electronics. ^^
#29 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"her power can influence her intellect. I'm a telepath, i read your mind, i know what you know."
hmmmm
#30 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"Gambler said:
"pixelized said:
Nah its all good Pix. No one is getting heated or anything. I think your making a good case (for what its worth). i just don't think there's any evidence (aside from the wiki page) that supports Emma being a genius."
no no, it's not about it getting heated, it's just the "find scans" that's such a turn off. It's like, "let's have sex...after i put on my wooden leg""
LMMFAO. I dont need scans. But if u could recall an instance or issue or something. It would really help. (I'll look for scans)

Gloom said:
"Gambler said:
"Hmm, nice Gloom. But it is Wiki :P I'm interested in seeing a scan where someone mentions genius and Emma Frost together. Or her page from an up to date Marvel Handbook. Something that actually depicts her as a genius."
Haha, that's why I normally refrain from using wiki in debates: it's basically undermining oneself. :P

Still, she knows exactly how the endocrine system (hormone-secretion) functions and what modifying it will cause in a victim, fully understands the human nervous system, masters speech functions and their complex way or working as well as thought patterns and psychology. She's like a psychology genius with a minor in biology and electronics. ^^"
Where did u get this from? Cause its impressive.
#31 Posted by Darkchild (41303 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok going on i know what you know

There are some things she would just not be able to understand with her given intelligence. I get what your saying she would know what to do with the persons information at that moment. Two days later no it would not make her a genius, the information would more less flow out of her mind because shes is not a 6 she is not a genius level person.

She is a 3 or a 4 she can work with in the information gather by having a direct link with the person or using thier knowledge then, but i do not believe she retains this knowledge on any high degree.

#32 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"pixelized said:
"her power can influence her intellect. I'm a telepath, i read your mind, i know what you know."
hmmmm"
and she's been doing it for yeaaaaaaaaaars

Gambler said:
"pixelized said:
"Gambler said:
"pixelized said:
no no, it's not about it getting heated, it's just the "find scans" that's such a turn off. It's like, "let's have sex...after i put on my wooden leg""
LMMFAO. I dont need scans. But if u could recall an instance or issue or something. It would really help. (I'll look for scans)
"
I'll see what i can find
#33 Posted by Gloom (3653 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I remember a respect thread of hers with lots of scans, but I don't remember the link. I'll look for it later (maybe), I gtg.

Bye people, argue nicely. ^^

#34 Posted by TheDrifter (26557 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm trying to find Xaviers Marvel Handbook bio on a respect thread but damnit, All I keep finding is a bunch trolls ranting about how Magneto is better.

Regardless, while Emma is a very intellectual woman, Can we honestly compare her to "The Geniuses of the Marvel Universe"?

Is Emma really on the same level as say, Professor X? Hank Pym? Doctor Strange? Reed Richards?

No.

Shes intelligent in her field but she is by no means a genius.

#35 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's another Emma bio from Marvel where she's labeled as a Three in terms of intelligence.

caption
Rankings Key
#36 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

is that from her New X-men volume 1 era?

#37 Edited by Lady Nightmare (9103 posts) - - Show Bio

isnt being a genius genetic
thus you have to be born one
idk
i think that's right
correct me if im wrong

#38 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"is that from her New X-men volume 1 era?"
Yeah, I believe so. But thats two bios, from two different eras. Until someone shows me otherwise, she's a 3.
#39 Edited by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"pixelized said:
"is that from her New X-men volume 1 era?"
Yeah, I believe so. But thats two bios, from two different eras. Until someone shows me otherwise, she's a 3."

"Emma also sees Beast as an equal to her great intelligence."

that's all i got.
LOl

IDK LN. she may not be one at all...proving it is making it seem that way
#40 Posted by TheDrifter (26557 posts) - - Show Bio

#41 Posted by Vance Astro (91356 posts) - - Show Bio
Lady Nightmare said:
"isnt being a genius genetic
thus you have to be born one
idk
i think that's right
correct me if im worng"
Yes..knowledge isn't genius.If it were Justice,Nova,Daredevil,Wolverine,and Captain America would be geniuses.Just knowing alot doesn't make you smart.
Genius is based on the ability to learn easily,calculation ability,creativity,and cumulative thinking.
#42 Posted by fesak (7073 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"Gambler said:
"TheDrifter said:
"

Lol, that same thing was posted in one of Beast's forums and Fesak dismissed it because it wasn't up to date."

Pretty sure i didn't.
You can never train your intellect from a 3 to a 6. The natural intellect is quite fixed, so i'm quite sure she'll remain at a 3 for the rest of her life.
#43 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
fesak said:
"pixelized said:
"Gambler said:
"TheDrifter said:
"

Lol, that same thing was posted in one of Beast's forums and Fesak dismissed it because it wasn't up to date."

Pretty sure i didn't.
You can never train your intellect from a 3 to a 6. The natural intellect is quite fixed, so i'm quite sure she'll remain at a 3 for the rest of her life."
it was regarding beast's power level, maybe it wasn't you.

How can she remain at 3 for forever if she can learn anything she wants with ease?
#44 Posted by Precise (22886 posts) - - Show Bio

Hm.. i got a scan here that atleast sais she's highly skilled in electronic theories and electronics, but i'll keep digging xP

caption
#45 Posted by warlock360 (28064 posts) - - Show Bio

Ohhh doomed

#46 Posted by fesak (7073 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:

How can she remain at 3 for forever if she can learn anything she wants with ease?"

Your intelligence isn't really related to your knowledge.
For example there are savants that can memorize lexicons and phone books, and recite them perfectly, but at the same time have an IQ of 40, and can't tie their shoelaces themselves.
#47 Posted by fesak (7073 posts) - - Show Bio

On the other hand that power scale is a bit off as a the term genius can also be applied when someone is extremely gifted artistically for example.
Basically a you can call someone a genius when they have an extreme talent in anything.

#48 Posted by Precise (22886 posts) - - Show Bio
fesak said:
"On the other hand that power scale is a bit off as a the term genius can also be applied when someone is extremely gifted artistically for example.
Basically a you can call someone a genius when they have an extreme talent in anything."
Then doesn't that mean she's a genius in certain areas, the scan i just provided show her she's highly skilled in creating devices etc which the psychic mind. She's extremely gifted when it comes to the physic mind. So for me, that makes her a genius in those areas..
#49 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
Precise said:
"fesak said:
"On the other hand that power scale is a bit off as a the term genius can also be applied when someone is extremely gifted artistically for example.
Basically a you can call someone a genius when they have an extreme talent in anything."
Then doesn't that mean she's a genius in certain areas, the scan i just provided show her she's highly skilled in creating devices etc which the psychic mind. She's extremely gifted when it comes to the physic mind. So for me, that makes her a genius in those areas.."
If that's really what you and Pix meant when you called her a genius, then thats cool. But I think we both know we weren't talking about one specific area.
#50 Posted by Gloom (3653 posts) - - Show Bio

Ooh, here's something interesting (albeit not mindblowing):

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/8446/firestarlimitedseries01ez0.jpg

The equivalent of Cerebro that Emma built can be operated by a non-psychic, and locates Firestar in the push of a button. Meanwhile, Xavier needs to use his own psychic powers to increase Cerebro's capacity to try and pinpoint a location. Plus, he needs to ask his X-Men to stop thinking (?) in order to cause no interference, whereas Emma's machine requires none of that. Emma's got intelligence when it comes to machines. =]

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.