Interview with January Jones on playing Emma Frost

#1 Posted by Jake Fury (18414 posts) - - Show Bio

- January Jones recently spoke about playing Emma Frost in X-Men: First Class, here are the highlights…

On The Film Being Set In The 1960s: "When I heard that this installment of ‘X-Men' was gonna take place in the '60s I was like, ‘Oh my God, you must be kidding me!" Jones
said. "But I read the script and familiarized myself with the character of Emma Frost. She's so, so far from Betty and from ‘Mad Men,' and it takes place in that time but it doesn't feel like a period movie. The costumes are insane. It's a lot of very body-conscious stuff. If you look at the comic book , she's barely dressed. She's got quite the bod, which is very intimidating."

On Not Losing Her Curves For The Role: "I'm thinking, ‘I'm supposed to be doing crunches on the plan. How am I gonna get buff in one day? I'm a petite person, so I didn't want to go into a strict workout and eating regime. I would have disappeared entirely, and she's very busty, very voluptuous, so I didn't want to get rid of any of my curves."

On Understanding Emma Frost's Anger: "Emma was a bespectacled, mousy child who had this power when she was young that she couldn't quite harness, the telepathy, the mind-twisting stuff. She had a falling out with her father and went her own direction."

#2 Posted by Wishful_Thinker (77 posts) - - Show Bio

ugh I am still not pleased at all with this casting but then again just the very concept and plotline of the movie annoys me. 

#3 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand how she's an adult in this movie which takes place in the 60's...but was a kid in Wolverine's movie.

#4 Edited by SC (12983 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you Jake Fury.  

I don't watch the show January Jones's stars in, but have heard it is good, I liked her line about wishing to hope fans of Emma in particular like her performance, i mean, it can be a bit of a standard line when it comes to actors and roles, but she appears to have done her research on the character, plus the angle they seem to be taking with her character (getting the attitude part down, mainly) is comforting.  

Would still probably prefer Diane Kruger (or Charlize Theron) but hey.

#5 Posted by uncanny89 (821 posts) - - Show Bio

Im really looking forward to seeing January Jones play Emma, I have watched and am currently watching Mad Men which she stars in and she is a good actress.  IMO she will do well as the White Queen

#6 Posted by doddy (251 posts) - - Show Bio

considering the character of First Class has banshee, I really looking forward to watching this scene in the movie.  

#7 Posted by Mercy_ (92686 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still very very iffy about this. She seems to understand the character and that gives me a little bit of hope.

#8 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy said:
" I don't understand how she's an adult in this movie which takes place in the 60's...but was a kid in Wolverine's movie. "
Maybe Wolverine took place in the... 40's?
#9 Posted by Mercy_ (92686 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think that this and Wolvie take place in the same universe. Do they?

#10 Posted by Mr. Mercury (19385 posts) - - Show Bio

I keep thinking she's the playgirl for January 

#11 Posted by SC (12983 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham said:
" @iLLituracy said:
" I don't understand how she's an adult in this movie which takes place in the 60's...but was a kid in Wolverine's movie. "
Maybe Wolverine took place in the... 40's? "

Its probably more likely and realistic to consider that Wolverine was drunk and playing dress up with mannequins made to look like other characters in his first movie, and if this X-Men movie is good, its what actually happened. 
#12 Posted by SC (12983 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr. Mercury said:
" I keep thinking she's the playgirl for January  "
LOL
#13 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham said:
" @iLLituracy said:
Maybe Wolverine took place in the... 40's? "
Wolverine was in Vietnam, if memory serves. It's where he and Creed get captured and put to "death."  

@The Dark Huntress said:
" I don't think that this and Wolvie take place in the same universe. Do they? "
I never heard anything contrary.
#14 Posted by HexThis (898 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm more scared for the rest of this movie than I am of January's performance. It's coming out sooner than Captain America and it's hardly gotten any publicity and I wish Marvel would finally effing realize messing up continuity doesn't ever seem to produce good films for them. Why not capitalize on the product you've been banking on in comics since day one? 

I do, however, love January Jones and if you watch Mad Men it's pretty clear she's quite capable of playing the cold, angry, glamorous type. People whine about her every now and then on show but usually it's just petty complaints about her character, overall, I think she'll be able to pull it off. Mad Men, Betty, and January are all AWESOME and I love them.  I'm glad Rose Byrne is in the movie too- she's incredible. 

I have seen people whine about how the model from Wolverine Origins should be in it but I can't fathom why. She wasn't hired to act at all, whatsoever.

#15 Posted by andrea_mendoza1997 (342 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm not sure about this 

#16 Posted by X-MEN55 (16 posts) - - Show Bio

I think she is gonna pull it off really badly, just like the movie.

#17 Posted by Inverno (13197 posts) - - Show Bio

She was really, really bad as Emma Frost. The movie was bad to begin with and she didn't help at all.

#18 Posted by X_men_the_best (2 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they cast January Jones really good. she's hot!

#19 Edited by kiss_lamia (1247 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah she really researched the character! i mean she was so convincing on screen NOT! she looked bored as hell thoughout the entire movie she had no personality whatsoever.

#20 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad that they're reducing her role for Days of the Future Past. I cannot stand her acting and pretending to have sass and wit.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.