I like Emma but...

#1 Posted by meh_770 (60 posts) - - Show Bio

When she and Scott started a relationship I thought she could do better, I know he's a positive influence on her but there are way more positive influences out there. Why Scott?

#2 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott's one of the most admirable people in the MU. Before Emma met Scott, she couldn't have cared less about the Dream, without Scott, she'd have never bothered staying with the X-Men. 

"OH, he left his wife and kids!" 
WRONG. He left the house, and Maddie, during one of her trademark b****-outs, told him to never come back. 

Oh, and he cheated on Jean!

WRONG again, no he didn't, he was raped by his therapist (Emma).

#3 Posted by God_Spawn (37685 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL what? They are perfect for each other.   Emma has done more for Scott than Jean ever did, he grew and developed in the BA and strong leader he is along with Emma. And with Scott Emma has proven more than once she can actually care for her students and team members, lead teams and help develop characters and that she isn't a total cold heartless b**** even if she does have the attitude at times which is crucial to her character. They've both done more things for each other than Jean did of could have for Scott or that Shaw or the fishy man wh**e Namor could have done for Emma as far as character development. She has proven that along side Scott they are vital, a necessity to the X-men for years. I don't know what you mean by better, but if she went with Stark, Namor, or Shaw she would not have had the strong role she would have had that she does with Scott.

Moderator Online
#4 Posted by Wise Son (1772 posts) - - Show Bio
As much as I love-hate Scott I think he's a great leader. He's held the X-men (and the mutant community) together, more or less, by himself over the years. He's a man with a vision. I don't think she could have did much better. Who else was she going to run to? Shaw? Please.
#5 Posted by God_Spawn (37685 posts) - - Show Bio
@Wise Son: She could always run..er swim to Namor.
Moderator Online
#6 Posted by Wise Son (1772 posts) - - Show Bio
@god_spawn: True. They'd make quite the power couple.
#7 Posted by SC (12959 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah Emma's her own positive influence, she doesn't play good guy, bad guy, Emma doesn't draw lines like that, she does what she does. Now she does what she does with the X-Men, but she was already good, as shown in Gen X. Emma is with Scott specifically because a writer felt he lacked an edge and that having him be with Emma would help give him edge and make more find interest with the character who he felt was underutilized. Emma owes more to Colossus for being in the X-Men. Oh and then because the writer that put them together is so revered among most other writers and pretty popular with readers, naturally the characters will stay together in subsequent versions of team. 

Moderator Online
#8 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
Nah Emma's her own positive influence, she doesn't play good guy, bad guy, Emma doesn't draw lines like that, she does what she does. Now she does what she does with the X-Men, but she was already good, as shown in Gen X. Emma is with Scott specifically because a writer felt he lacked an edge and that having him be with Emma would help give him edge and make more find interest with the character who he felt was underutilized. Emma owes more to Colossus for being in the X-Men. Oh and then because the writer that put them together is so revered among most other writers and pretty popular with readers, naturally the characters will stay together in subsequent versions of team. 
That's one way to look at it.
#9 Posted by SC (12959 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
@SC said:

The best way to look at in my opinion. Doesn't ignore Emma's years in Generation X, Cyclops I have always liked, but Morrison had a point, Cyclops, given his historic importance to the X-Men was just treated as a supporting character a lot of the time. He needed a big shake up and making out with a bottle blonde girl with silicon breasts on Marvel's darhling's grave is a pretty big shake up. It brought a lot of hate and anger towards the character (and writer) but it also brought a lot of fists raised in the air and head nodding. Made the character polarizing and allowed more growth. Plus if Morrison literally was allowed Colossus, Emma would have never been prancing around. I dunno, Cyclops would have hooked up with Storm? Then I don't need to tell you want Morrison can do well, Whedon might follow reasonably well, but others like Fraction most obviously will just shove and stuff down his throat to regurgitate on to paper. 
Moderator Online
#10 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
@SC said:
 The best way to look at in my opinion. Doesn't ignore Emma's years in Generation X, Cyclops I have always liked, but Morrison had a point, Cyclops, given his historic importance to the X-Men was just treated as a supporting character a lot of the time. He needed a big shake up and making out with a bottle blonde girl with silicon breasts on Marvel's darhling's grave is a pretty big shake up. It brought a lot of hate and anger towards the character (and writer) but it also brought a lot of fists raised in the air and head nodding. Made the character polarizing and allowed more growth. Plus if Morrison literally was allowed Colossus, Emma would have never been prancing around. I dunno, Cyclops would have hooked up with Storm? Then I don't need to tell you want Morrison can do well, Whedon might follow reasonably well, but others like Fraction most obviously will just shove and stuff down his throat to regurgitate on to paper. 
Yes, but there was also much more to both Emma and Scott's development in that run then just an affair for the sake of shaking up the franchise.
#11 Posted by God_Spawn (37685 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC: I hated Fraction's take on the X-men -_-
Moderator Online
#12 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@god_spawn said:
Everyone does.
#13 Posted by SC (12959 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
Yes, but there was also much more to both Emma and Scott's development in that run then just an affair for the sake of shaking up the franchise.

Sure, everything can be expanded upon, but at its core and most to the point it was to give Cyclops more edge, more conflict, more, improve the character and get people who ignored the character to sit up and reevaluate their view on the character, for better or worse. Its how Morrison justifies so many of his more questionable actions. A polarizing character is still better off than a character many consider boring. Now subsequently? So again, sure, a lot of things have been added on and delved into and expanded on, all pretty good.  

@god_spawn said:

I think even Fraction hates his take on the X-Men. His Casanova is good. I believe Fraction is a very tortured soul therefore. His good writing side trolling his bad writing side. He probably pays a lady to dress up as the Red Queen and call him worm. 
Moderator Online
#14 Posted by God_Spawn (37685 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt:  That and Daniel Way...I think it was Daniel Way, he wrote Wolverine Origins when he fought Nuke, Cap, Hellion and Emma and he totally wussified Cyclops when Wolverine got near him he screamed... plenty of bad writers, atleast I hope Bendis doesn't touch an X-men comic.
Moderator Online
#15 Posted by God_Spawn (37685 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC: I agree, he does have a good writing side, I liked Iron Man and The Mighty Thor which i thought i was gonna hate but so far is turning out better than i expected.
Moderator Online
#16 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@god_spawn said:
@FadeToBlackBolt:  That and Daniel Way...I think it was Daniel Way, he wrote Wolverine Origins when he fought Nuke, Cap, Hellion and Emma and he totally wussified Cyclops when Wolverine got near him he screamed... plenty of bad writers, atleast I hope Bendis doesn't touch an X-men comic.
It's a good thing that I haven't read that, I would probably have murdered the writer >_< 
#17 Posted by SC (12959 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh Way's writing... yeah that was horribly biased for Wolverine/Cyclops stuff... even Wolverine Emma stuff. She can get into Xavier's mind to snoop around but not Wolverines... right...  

Oh and Fractions Mighty Thor is turning out pretty good. Its crazy. I spend more time looking at Coipel's art though.. oh and space armor is probably Fractions idea... still. A lot better than Uncanny. 

Moderator Online
#18 Posted by God_Spawn (37685 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: It wasn't total bad writing atleast when Wolverine fought Cap, it was a good fight and Way didn't give Wolverine is god factor this time like he did during the Nitro incident, but the Cyclops part pissed me off. Anyways here is the scan.
Moderator Online
#19 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@god_spawn: Sigh, and one more writer who's dead to me.
#20 Posted by Charmix (11958 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's due to her being a telepath, Scott has a thing for telepaths i guess. I guess in a way Morrison planned her to be the next Jean, due her being a major dues ex machina, so her death was needed for Emma to move in and have a relationship with Scott.

#21 Posted by God_Spawn (37685 posts) - - Show Bio
@Charmix said:
I think it's due to her being a telepath, Scott has a thing for telepaths i guess. I guess in a way Morrison planned her to be the next Jean, due her being a major dues ex machina, so her death was needed for Emma to move in and have a relationship with Scott.
Good point actually .
Moderator Online
#22 Posted by Mercy_ (92684 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@god_spawn said:
Everyone does.

Everyone who's read something other than Fraction does.

#23 Posted by God_Spawn (37685 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: that is true.
Moderator Online

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.