Fighting Skill---WITHOUT diamond form?

#1 Posted by oraclefyre (936 posts) - - Show Bio

Emma's diamond form allows her to be physically threatening to her opponents and not just mentally thanks to her high telepathic skill.

But her reliance on her diamond form makes me wonder whether she could be imposing without it.

A few issues ago in Uncanny before they came into contact with Unit, I finally saw a display of her fighting skill without her diamond form, and she seemed to be able to handle herself very well. But that was just training, and I'm just wondering if she could handle herself in a good fight.

Generation X saw her greeting Banshee with a punch, but that was just an assault, not an actual feat of martial prowess.

I know she would not be anywhere on Betsy's or any of the other members of the X-Force's level, and perhaps not even of the likes of the other X-Men who had been doing Danger Room sessions since when they were teens, like Scott, Bobby or Jean etc. Hell, Kitty's got her ninja training and Hope was raised by Cable.

So, I'm just curious, what is her martial prowess like? I've never really seen her actually fight without her diamond form.

I'm not underestimating her fighting ability, I just want to know the degree of it.

#2 Posted by God_Spawn (37560 posts) - - Show Bio

She's had a bit of basic training as all X-Men have to where she doesn't necessarily need her powers to take on fodder opponents at best and puts her above just brawling cause she has some finesse to her fighting. Emma isn't really a hand to hand fighter but I like you pointed out she does have feats which some people tend to overlook and say she is completely useless without powers. She was also able to dispatch a lizard-turned human with a kick before and yes it was a fodder opponent, but most of those lizards should've had enhanced stats.

I know this is against the thread topic, but she has some decent feats in her diamond form too taking on Bishop and Sage and when she was able to fight against lizard versions of Wolverine, Storm and Gambit by displaying some agility on her part and a bit of skill..

#3 Posted by Saren (25555 posts) - - Show Bio

She learned fencing during her school years.

#4 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

She's got some training, but not actual feats to back her up against a legit Street-Level fighter.

#5 Posted by Mercy_ (92673 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to see them amp up her fighting skill while in diamond form. She could be a serious physical force to be reckoned with as well as a mental juggernaut,

#6 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio

She sucks in any form.

#7 Posted by Mercy_ (92673 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: We're gonna fight

#8 Posted by TDK_1997 (14642 posts) - - Show Bio

She has some training.

#9 Posted by Illuminatus (9503 posts) - - Show Bio

Emma is a lover, not a fighter.

#10 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus said:

Emma is a lover, not a fighter.

Yep, she shares dat love around with dem fishies.

@Mercy_ said:

I want to see them amp up her fighting skill while in diamond form. She could be a serious physical force to be reckoned with as well as a mental juggernaut,

I would abhor that.

#11 Edited by Illuminatus (9503 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp Fishcake lurvin'!

#12 Posted by Mercy_ (92673 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: Whaaaaaat? Why? I'm not talking about master martial artist, I just wanna see her develop some skill.

#13 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus said:

@ReVamp Fishcake lurvin'!

Not to mention the Drunkard, the Metrosexual and... Well. Hope kinda already went there.

@Mercy_ said:

@ReVamp: Whaaaaaat? Why? I'm not talking about master martial artist, I just wanna see her develop some skill.

What kinda skill we talking about? Spidey level skill? Huntress Level skill?

I like her being a telepath (obviously, just a lead-in), I enjoyed her having a diamond form, though it took some time to adjust to it. However having her more than just a tank in that form, is something I wouldn't enjoy.

#14 Posted by Mercy_ (92673 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: Huntress-ish level, perhaps a bit above. Nothing stunning, just adequate.

I don't want her to be on par with anybody notable or become another Psylocke, but it'd make sense that in her years of experience (especially being with Scott for so long) that she'd have received decent hand to hand training.

#15 Posted by God_Spawn (37560 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_: I actually think Emma is in a good spot as far as h2h goes for her level. As I said above she fended off a lizard human without powers and she has shown some finesse, whether dirty tactic or not, in her h2h fights. Her skill level should be enough to where she can take a couple of fodder opponents on her own and I'm grateful she isn't just brawling.

#16 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah. Forgot about this... But yeah. I don't agree Hunts, I agree more with Gos' take on it.

#17 Posted by TheThe (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

Her fighting skill is booty poppin, walking around and lookin georgeous.

#18 Posted by God_Spawn (37560 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

Yeah. Forgot about this... But yeah. I don't agree Hunts, I agree more with Gos' take on it.

@Mercy_:

#19 Posted by Mercy_ (92673 posts) - - Show Bio

You guys both suck -__-

#20 Posted by God_Spawn (37560 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_: Sore loser.

#21 Posted by Mercy_ (92673 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: Nah, if I was really a sore loser I'd edit your posts

#22 Edited by God_Spawn (37560 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_: You're amazing, DH. I bow before your power.

#23 Posted by Mercy_ (92673 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: ♥ you, too ^_^

#24 Posted by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

in generation X she did take down banshee, so she has some fighting experience under her belt but because she's a telepath and relies on it most of the time I doubt you'd see anything more of her physical fighting abilities. Hell now that she has the PF i'm sure the blasts she's giving off are now TK so when she loses it she'll now have a new ability in her arsenal. (though in theory i remember reading that Xavier stated that emma should be able to use TK down the road at some point)

#25 Posted by oraclefyre (936 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love for her to maybe lose her telepathy for a while and she could become more of a field-player than someone on the sidelines running the operation. I would love to see Em to have a scene reminiscent of Huntress from the JLU animated series, in the episode Girl Fight, when she enters a elevator full of thugs, the door closes, and when she reaches the next floor all the guys are knocked out.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.