Emma's Friends

Posted by StormyWeather (747 posts) - - Show Bio

Emma has a close relationship with Scott, obviously, that's her man...But she hasn't formed any bonds with any of the female characters.

We all know Emma is a bitch, but its just a fa cad, if she truly was a bad person she wouldn't be dating Scott Summers, because through and through he's a good person.

Kitty has expressed that she doesn't like Emma, we KNOW Storm does not like Emma because of their "history", and we know the Cuckoos don't really respect her, and Dazzler and Psylocke don't like her. hmmmm, i personally think it's kind of sad. In the end all the members of the X-Men DO respect her as their teammate and do have her back I'd say.

#1 Posted by Onihana (122 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure what you getting at here, unless your just making a statement, but in general i would agree.

#2 Posted by StormyWeather (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onihana: yes

#3 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

It's more to do with her, than anyone else? I mean, like you say - its more how she presents herself, and to be fair - people feel the way they do because of her previous life as a villain.

I think everyone knows who's side she is on, and do give her the respect earned in that sense, but on a personal level? Kind of hard to get past things she's done in the past, regardless of who she is partnered up with. Good people fall in love with bad people all the time - and I would hate if Emma was considered a good person based solely on Scott's moral character.

That would be like, thinking Magneto's a great guy based on his present relationship with Rogue.....

#4 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

Not being fair weather and perfectly agreeable doesn't actually determine whether one is a friend. Emma has many friends in the Marvel Universe despite not kissing everyone's ass and meeting their expectations of " good " all the time.

#5 Posted by StormyWeather (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@CATPANEXE: who r they? not that i don't believe u lol just from what i've read i don't see any bonds

#6 Posted by StormyWeather (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: true, good point, but aside from her being a former villain, from what i see she doesn't really give people a reason to "like" her lol

#7 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to think that Storm and Emma have come to some sort of mutal understanding in terms of friendship.

#8 Edited by Mutant God (3023 posts) - - Show Bio

well there was a series where a couple of femal heroes were celebrating emma's birthday   

Heralds #1 

Heralds #1
Heralds #3
#9 Posted by Onihana (122 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mutant God: Yeah but stated by them Scott was offering them something, Jennifer and Patty did it because they thought it would be fun.

#10 Posted by Skaddix (3114 posts) - - Show Bio

that proves she has no friends seriously Scott could not find or bribe one x-female enough to show up.

she has no females friends and the only guy friends she have besides beast i suppose are all guys who want to bang her or already have.

#11 Posted by SoA (4839 posts) - - Show Bio

BS, she is not 25 , maybe 35 but not 25

#12 Posted by Mercy_ (92708 posts) - - Show Bio

@SoA said:

BS, she is not 25 , maybe 35 but not 25

She's late twenties/early thirties.

Now how she said 25 again? Implying she's already had her 25th, which we know to be fact, since she stated on panel in Morrison's run that she was 28.

Moderator
#13 Posted by SC (13126 posts) - - Show Bio

I think its just a time thing. Rogue probably had it tougher even longer. From almost all the X-Men barring Xavier. A few X-Men still treat Gambit a bit rough, or when times are frayed a bit tense with each other. I think quite a few characters have this solitary streak. Cool thread. 

Moderator
#14 Posted by Mercy_ (92708 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC said:

I think its just a time thing. Rogue probably had it tougher even longer. From almost all the X-Men barring Xavier. A few X-Men still treat Gambit a bit rough, or when times are frayed a bit tense with each other. I think quite a few characters have this solitary streak. Cool thread.

Gambit's defected (seemingly) before, though. Without ANYBODY knowing his true intent (as opposed to Scott, who was fully aware of Emma's plan during Utopia). Gambit has that mercenary nature about himself, I don't think that he's ever going to be fully trusted amongst the X-Men, although I suppose the same could be said for Emma.

Moderator
#15 Posted by SC (13126 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:

@SC said:

I think its just a time thing. Rogue probably had it tougher even longer. From almost all the X-Men barring Xavier. A few X-Men still treat Gambit a bit rough, or when times are frayed a bit tense with each other. I think quite a few characters have this solitary streak. Cool thread.

Gambit's defected (seemingly) before, though. Without ANYBODY knowing his true intent (as opposed to Scott, who was fully aware of Emma's plan during Utopia). Gambit has that mercenary nature about himself, I don't think that he's ever going to be fully trusted amongst the X-Men, although I suppose the same could be said for Emma.

Oh well that's sort of my point. Gambits did a lot - his whole big reveal in regard to mutant massacre. Then again X-Men did leave him to die at Antarctica, but then him being a traitor has been a constant plot point - even all the times later he was only one to stand by Xavier when half the team walked out, but when they came back all apologetic Gambit was still the traitor - even like a decade later. Despite there being dozens of storylines where Beast, Nightcrawler, Xavier, Jean, all did something which seemed like betraying the team, only to have the purest and noble intentions. So to me, its not really about their actions at all. Its just that like really like, people/characters tend to naturally get on well with some, but rub others the wrong way. Usually its a empathy thing or just understanding other people. Gambits pretty hard to get. Like he'll probably always have Storm, Rogue and Xavier's trust. Emma has say Beast and Cyclops. Both are off and on with Wolverine.  
 
Then again even longstanding X-Men characters can be chilly with each other. Rogue Dazzler grudge is probably the longest cold X-Men relationship lol Storm and Rogue grudge lasted a few years as well before they turned friends, close friends. Gambit seems to have nice moments now and then with team mates, I think Emma will grow to have friends more and more - well hoping that writers know their X-History. Or at least nice moments with characters. She has had many with X-23, Pixie, etc (well you already know **smiles**) 
Moderator
#16 Posted by Skaddix (3114 posts) - - Show Bio

many with x-23? she had a few with surge and hellion but my impression is x-23 hates frost.

#17 Posted by Onihana (122 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skaddix: while not a X-23 expert, not sure I would say hate, dislike, sure. X understands, but doesn't agree, with what Emma did her. X is many ways is like Emma and she is just as calculating in many aspects(depending how she is written).

#18 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onihana said:

@Skaddix: while not a X-23 expert, not sure I would say hate, dislike, sure. X understands, but doesn't agree, with what Emma did her. X is many ways is like Emma and she is just as calculating in many aspects(depending how she is written).

Well - Emma did go after Kimura (X-23's handler from the Weapon X program) and took away her one good memory in retaliation for the hell Kimura put X-23 through. Their relationship (Emma's and Laura's) remained complicated but more better after that I think. And also, Emma released Hellion's power to his full potential to get Laura to the Institute (and Elixir) to save her life - so - if she really hated X-23, she had an easy out there if she really wanted to get rid of her.

Emma's a good person, but she ain't one for sentimentality, lol. That's just - too unnecessary in her mind. :)

#19 Posted by Onihana (122 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: semi lost there, but yes your right. Which speaks to Emma's character and how far she is willing to go for the students at which time she is still at odds with, because X, if I am correct was in Emma's mind a threat to the kids still.

#20 Posted by Mutant God (3023 posts) - - Show Bio
There was the issue of  Marvel Knights 4 #21 where Emma hang around Sue Storm and others I think
#21 Posted by Mercy_ (92708 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onihana said:

@Skaddix: while not a X-23 expert, not sure I would say hate, dislike, sure. X understands, but doesn't agree, with what Emma did her. X is many ways is like Emma and she is just as calculating in many aspects(depending how she is written).

X-23 is one of the most pragmatic characters in history. I do consider myself an X-23 expert. Laura may not have liked what Emma did to her, but she did (come to) understand it.

As Lykopis pointed out, Emma did make her reparations.

Moderator
#22 Posted by Skaddix (3114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onihana said:

@lykopis: semi lost there, but yes your right. Which speaks to Emma's character and how far she is willing to go for the students at which time she is still at odds with, because X, if I am correct was in Emma's mind a threat to the kids still.

Emma is the biggest threat to students. More students have died under her watch then any other head of a school made worse by the fact she is not even losing students on missions.

#23 Edited by God_Spawn (37908 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skaddix said:

@Onihana said:

@lykopis: semi lost there, but yes your right. Which speaks to Emma's character and how far she is willing to go for the students at which time she is still at odds with, because X, if I am correct was in Emma's mind a threat to the kids still.

Emma is the biggest threat to students. More students have died under her watch then any other head of a school made worse by the fact she is not even losing students on missions.

Yeah she is just ..such...a huge threat to her students. Since you know she knows that what happened was her fault, has admitted to living with that pain and guilt for the rest of her life and considering her biggest love in life is to teach and that is to the point that she almost walked away from Cyclops whom she has given up so much for just to keep his dream alive. I mean it's not like thousands of innocent people have been killed at the mistakes of other heroes. God what a b*tch.

Moderator
#24 Posted by Skaddix (3114 posts) - - Show Bio

The best thing she can do as a teacher is stop teaching or at least stop trying to run schools. Actually she built a machine that helped cause Jean to go Dark Phoenix which caused billions to die.

#25 Posted by God_Spawn (37908 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skaddix said:

The best thing she can do as a teacher is stop teaching or at least stop trying to run schools. Actually she built a machine that helped cause Jean to go Dark Phoenix which caused billions to die.

Yeah when she was a villain with Shaw years ago. That's hardly a meaningful example.

Moderator
#26 Posted by Onihana (122 posts) - - Show Bio

Not the right posting for this but seeing as the whole dead kids thing was brought up (not her fault i know but got me thinking how messed up there relationship is and thought it was funny, so here it is). Mind you they are my favorite couple.

Scott can't marry Emma or she would die.

Can't have kids,as they tend to die when around her.

So are they stuck in dating limbo?

Back on subject.

@Skaddix: I wouldn't say she is the biggest threat to the students. I would argue she is/was one of the greatest assets to them. While not coming off at the most loving of teachers, she pushes them when they needed to be pushed. Took the time to make sure some of them were making the right choices IE Prodigy. No one is perfect, but she isn't a threat to them. Some of my best teachers where the ones I hated the most because, they never let me BS my way thorough school and that is how I see Emma.

#27 Posted by God_Spawn (37908 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onihana:

Scott can't marry Emma or she would die.

No

Can't have kids,as they tend to die when around her.

No

So are they stuck in dating limbo?

And no

A writer can do whatever they want with them -_-.

Moderator
#28 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

All I have to say about Emma being "dangerous" to students?

This woman lives to be a teacher. Their deaths will forever haunt her.

#29 Posted by 2000_years_anthem (26 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@Onihana:

Scott can't marry Emma or she would die.

No

Can't have kids,as they tend to die when around her.

No

So are they stuck in dating limbo?

And no

A writer can do whatever they want with them -_-.

No

There is a division called the editorial team and they're there for a reason you know...

#30 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

@StormyWeather said:

@CATPANEXE: who r they? not that i don't believe u lol just from what i've read i don't see any bonds

Yes you do. Like I said, her way of relating is just different. I have plenty of friends that act like Emma. They display themselves in their own manner, as does Emma. Ask yourself this, how much have you seen Emma as a lone wolf and not in a setting among others as well where she's social with everyone as opposed to locking herself away from them. Otherwise many have been listed. Just because a person doesn't run up to everyone smiling and toss them in the air giving them hugs, or not share their milkshake, does not mean that they do not have a kinship with others. It takes all kinds, and true friends deal with the worst in others and the things that cause them displeasure.

#31 Posted by SC (13126 posts) - - Show Bio
@lykopis said:

All I have to say about Emma being "dangerous" to students?

This woman lives to be a teacher. Their deaths will forever haunt her.

 
Perfect moment. Thank you, great selection. Its very easy to thoroughly crush any flawed thinking to suggest a teacher is dangerous to students though the actions of others. Just take any real life example of people killing students and try blaming it on their teachers. You don't play a numbers game there - not how it works. Most of Emma's defining traits makes her a perfect teacher. Its also one of the areas of her character that reveals her humanity but also one that shows us why she appears somewhat callous in other scenarios. 
Moderator
#32 Posted by WildValentine (289 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@Onihana said:

@Skaddix: while not a X-23 expert, not sure I would say hate, dislike, sure. X understands, but doesn't agree, with what Emma did her. X is many ways is like Emma and she is just as calculating in many aspects(depending how she is written).

Well - Emma did go after Kimura (X-23's handler from the Weapon X program) and took away her one good memory in retaliation for the hell Kimura put X-23 through. Their relationship (Emma's and Laura's) remained complicated but more better after that I think. And also, Emma released Hellion's power to his full potential to get Laura to the Institute (and Elixir) to save her life - so - if she really hated X-23, she had an easy out there if she really wanted to get rid of her.

Emma's a good person, but she ain't one for sentimentality, lol. That's just - too unnecessary in her mind. :)

Man, I was completely unaware of this. My respect for Emma just went way up.

#33 Posted by God_Spawn (37908 posts) - - Show Bio

@2000_years_anthem said:

@god_spawn said:

@Onihana:

Scott can't marry Emma or she would die.

No

Can't have kids,as they tend to die when around her.

No

So are they stuck in dating limbo?

And no

A writer can do whatever they want with them -_-.

No

There is a division called the editorial team and they're there for a reason you know...

Oh excuuuse me for thinking writers can do somethiiing and pitch ideas. Would it make you feel better if I changed my statement?

Moderator
#34 Posted by Mercy_ (92708 posts) - - Show Bio
@lykopis

All I have to say about Emma being "dangerous" to students?

This woman lives to be a teacher. Their deaths will forever haunt her.

I love you.
Moderator
#35 Posted by 2000_years_anthem (26 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@2000_years_anthem said:

@god_spawn said:

@Onihana:

Scott can't marry Emma or she would die.

No

Can't have kids,as they tend to die when around her.

No

So are they stuck in dating limbo?

And no

A writer can do whatever they want with them -_-.

No

There is a division called the editorial team and they're there for a reason you know...

Oh excuuuse me for thinking writers can do somethiiing and pitch ideas. Would it make you feel better if I changed my statement?

Oh hell no ,you said that a writer can do whatever they want,the answer to that is of course a no,sure the writer can do something and pitching some idea but if that doesn't get a pass from the editorial team then they have to come up with something else.

And no,not that i care if you change your statement or not,people have their own opinions,i'm just telling you that the writer hands are tied too,they have a freedom of writing stories but that freedom must not cross a line or else the editorial team wouldn't giving a pass to their ideas.

#36 Posted by God_Spawn (37908 posts) - - Show Bio

@2000_years_anthem: Fair enough unless it's Geoff Johns or Grant Morrison, trololo. But I get what you're saying, I know the writers can't do EXACTLY what they wanted but I'm saying a good part of what goes down is up to the writers. If the writers wanted Emma and Scott to get married, they can pitch idea and if it gets the green light, they will be married. If the writers wanted them to have kids that don't die, and the idea is green lighted, it's a go. The aren't stuck in dating limbo cause that can be changed.

Moderator
#37 Posted by 2000_years_anthem (26 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: Yeah i know,what i'm worried is that some writers have their own fave char. and that bias can make or break the stories but the writers marvel have right now are pretty good IMO. and emma and scott wouldn't get married anytime soon cause my friend once write to marvel and asked them if emma and scott gonna have a kid,they answer is no they gonna have some puppies and enjoying their lives first before that happened,LOL.

#38 Edited by God_Spawn (37908 posts) - - Show Bio

@2000_years_anthem: That reminds of Garth Ennis and his utter hate for Wolverine. The infamous ball shot and steamroll is burned into my mind. And yeah, I don't see them getting married any time soon either, but the the magic rule of comics, anything can happen.

Moderator
#39 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress:

RIght back atcha times two. ;)

#40 Posted by 2000_years_anthem (26 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah i agreed 101% with that,anything can happen in a comic books,just hoping that "anything" is something that's not to mind blowing,LOL.

#41 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Trevor Fitzroy was one evil b*stard.

#42 Posted by Rickbarry (1790 posts) - - Show Bio

I think a great many of the people on Utopia have a healthy respect for her. She has all the talent in the world and mutant ability to boot, but I don't know how many people would consider themselves her friend. Colossus? She helped him take a step toward healing after kitty 'died'. Kurt? Apparently she visited his church a time or two. Magneto seems to dig her.

Emma is just a different animal that a lot of people have trouble understanding.

#43 Posted by StormyWeather (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rickbarry: thats a good way to put it

#44 Posted by nyx (114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rickbarry: I'd say she and Beast had a good friendship, though that sort of wavered with Dark Reign. And Emma and Wolverine seem to agree on multiple fronts despite their very different backgrounds.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.