Follow

Emma Frost

Character » Emma Frost appears in 6153 issues.

Emma Frost is a fictional character originating from Marvel Comics. Originally starting off as a super villain and enemy of the X-Men, during which she was the White Queen of the Hellfire Club, Emma Frost is a powerful mutant telepath who can transform herself into organic diamond. She has become a prominent member of the X-Men. A gifted teacher, Emma is renowned for her beauty, wit, and sense of fashion.

Emma post utopia (possible spoilers)

uncanny89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By uncanny89

now that emma has got a sliver of the void in her from releasing it in the final chapter of utopia, does that mean she can only use her diamond form??
    nikbackm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By nikbackm

Yes.

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22907

uncanny89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By uncanny89

well isnt that just crap lol.  

but in previews for astonishing x-men 31 emma is seen to be using telepathy and wouldnt this new arc take place after utopia?
    nikbackm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By nikbackm

Impossible to say at this point. Astonishing 31 does start up in SF (at the wharf) which could mean it's set before Utopia. Or not. 

There is to be one Uncanny yet before AXM 31 so Emma's condition could possibly be (partly) resolved there but I doubt it, she'll probably be affected until her next showdown with Sentry/Void.

uncanny89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By uncanny89

maybe but nation x isnt starting till 516 so there is 515 to resolve it i dont think they should wipe one of her powers out completly. weve still got: 

the confession 
    The list uncanny x-men 
    Uncanny 515  

so who knows they can do a lot in 3 issues and thats just this month 

i hope she doesnt lose her telepathy, the team needs a strong telepath and to be honest i dont want an ultiamte x-men emma frost
    nikbackm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nikbackm

I meant Uncanny 515 since 516 comes out after ASM 31. Of the others Confession is set before Utopia and the List will be mainly a Namor/Norman story, so nothing will likely happen in those regarding Emma's new problem. 

This is of course not a permanent condition, just a way to take her in another direction for a while. 

I'm thinking it will also serve to familiarize her (perhaps with help of the science team) with the real nature of the Void which would allow her to have better success the next time they meet. Fraction did promise some big things for Emma the coming year after all, and he does seem to be co-plotting Emma's part in Dark Reign with Bendis.

uncanny89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By uncanny89

i think confession well end preobably a day or so after the finale of utopia 
    i didnt realise the list was about namor (not pleased about this lol) 
    i just dont think that emma should be with out her telepathy its a crucial part of her character i think, but saying that i guess matt fraction has been preparing us for this because she has been depending on her diamond form more (well since issue 500). i trust matt fraction and what he has in store for the x-men i jusat want her telepathy to return soon . 

i liked your idea about emma understanding the void for their next encounter maybe that will be the next stop gap between arcs, who knows lol
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#8  Edited By xerox_kitty

The last solicitation for Uncanny... It's only the cover, but she's back to fleshy pink.

Uncanny X-Men #517
    Uncanny X-Men #517
    Lifeguard85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Lifeguard85

As long as Fraction is writing she will get over it relatively quickly...I think he just likes talking about her so that he can say she is an Omega level mutant, which he did again in an interview recently lol.

All the rest of his stories that were supposed to have big effects have been relatively minor and short lived....

uncanny89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By uncanny89

ive got used to it i think lol after reading the finale a few times, the only thing they need to do with uncanny imo now is to have the dodsons as there art team instead of greg land, id of thought they would have replaced him after all the bad reviews of his art for like the past year
    mattastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mattastic

I am pretty sure her telepathy will return (relatively) soon.   Not saying its going to happen now, next issue or next arc, but I would think within the next year they will resolve this situation.   Maybe they will do it when they bring Jean back?  Like who else could really take out the void, while Emma stays in her diamond form? 

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xerox_kitty

She was able to receive telepathic communication with Xavier just a few issues ago.  Whether she can broadcast telepathically while in diamond form is another matter. 

I'm just tired of Fraction's writing, and tired of this cross-over.  It's not even finished yet, with at least another 2 epilogue issues.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By John Valentine
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " She was able to receive telepathic communication with Xavier just a few issues ago.  Whether she can broadcast telepathically while in diamond form is another matter.
    I find that ridiculous . She's restricted to her diamond form so that she does not release the fragment of the Void that is trapped within her mind, yet, she can receive telepathic messages whilst in her diamond form from other telepaths.... I suppose it makes sense considering that she is now classed as an Omega level mutant.  

Fraction, you terrible, terrible writer. Oh, another thing; I hate Namor's involvement with the X-Men and with Emma!!!
    nikbackm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By nikbackm
    @mattastic said:

"  I am pretty sure her telepathy will return (relatively) soon.   Not saying its going to happen now, next issue or next arc, but I would think within the next year they will resolve this situation.   Maybe they will do it when they bring Jean back?  Like who else could really take out the void, while Emma stays in her diamond form?  "

Nah, they will not bring Jean back to take out the Void, if an X-Man gets to do it, it will be Emma as she's the one who has a (rather extensive) history with the Sentry/Void. And now she has a sliver of the Void inside her as well, hmm, seems rather familiar to Harry Potter and his snake scar that was caused by Voldemort doesn't it?

@John Valentine

said:

" @xerox-kitty said:

" She was able to receive telepathic communication with Xavier just a few issues ago.  Whether she can broadcast telepathically while in diamond form is another matter.
    I find that ridiculous . She's restricted to her diamond form so that she does not release the fragment of the Void that is trapped within her mind, yet, she can receive telepathic messages whilst in her diamond form from other telepaths.... I suppose it makes sense considering that she is now classed as an Omega level mutant.   Fraction, you terrible, terrible writer. Oh, another thing; I hate Namor's involvement with the X-Men and with Emma!!! "
    She could receive a telepathic message, but Xavier was not able to get any response (i.e read her thoughts) , due to the diamond form protection. I guess Fraction reasons the diamond form TP immunity functions similarly to e.g. Superman's general invulnerability, presumably he can still feel things like touch (his marriage would be rather boring for him otherwise), but he's not easily hurt.
    Fleonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Fleonix

Well in IMO i think that its kindah cool to look in to Emma's diamond form........but in the other hand I realy hope Matt doesn't end up making a crappy story on how Emma is going to get her telepathy back.....

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @John Valentine: I agree completely.  It's crap how he's just decided that after all these years that she's omega, so twists stories to his crappy logic :(
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i finally got around to Utopia, and im just glad they didnt kill her or something over the top.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By John Valentine
    @ Xerox-Kitty: :) 

@nikbackm 

They've met, what, once prior to Utopia? That can hardly be classified as an "extensive history".  

Emma's a powerful mutant/telepath, but she is no way near Omega level -BAD BAD MOVE.. in End Song her body was being burnt up by the Phoenix because she was not Omega level and only years ago Jean telepathically raped her.. (before the Phoenix has fully remerged in Jean)..... 
    If she is Omega level, surely she'd be able to destroy this corrupted fragment of the Void (no being able to do so is kind of a contradiction to her said power level) and not be compelled to trap it?  If the Void is powerful enough to compromise two powerful telepaths, how can a mere diamond vessel hold it down?

That reasoning is ridiculously irrelevant and non-sensical.... physical and mental powers do not work in the same way whatsoever. Another thing - how can Emma receive telepathic messages whilst she is in Diamond form but not reply? Surely the other telepath would have to enter her mind in order for her to receive them.... Was Fraction the first writer to show her receiving messages in her Diamond form? 

Does Fraction even know what an Omega Level Mutant is? Emma is not comparable to Jean, Rachel, or even Quentin Quire in terms of psychic ability. 
     In fairness, I like some of his ideas, but they are so poorly executed and so poorly-reckoned that they just fail. (His lack of X-History knowledge/ respect for X-History and his generally carelessness is what reallyyyy lets him down! ...and his inability to write established characters as themselves).
    bioghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By bioghost

i just finshed reading the recent legacy one shot and emma is still in her diamond but I found something intering in this. 

strange that he did not say emma.
    strange that he did not say emma.
    nikbackm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nikbackm
    @John Valentine said:

" @ Xerox-Kitty: :) 

@nikbackm 
     They've met, what, once prior to Utopia? That can hardly be classified as an "extensive history".   
     Emma's a powerful mutant/telepath, but she is no way near Omega level -BAD BAD MOVE.. in End Song her body was being burnt up by the Phoenix because she was not Omega level and only years ago Jean telepathically raped her.. (before the Phoenix has fully remerged in Jean)..... If she is Omega level, surely she'd be able to destroy this corrupted fragment of the Void (no being able to do so is kind of a contradiction to her said power level) and not be compelled to trap it?  If the Void is powerful enough to compromise two powerful telepaths, how can a mere diamond vessel hold it down? That reasoning is ridiculously irrelevant and non-sensical.... physical and mental powers do not work in the same way whatsoever. Another thing - how can Emma receive telepathic messages whilst she is in Diamond form but not reply? Surely the other telepath would have to enter her mind in order for her to receive them.... Was Fraction the first writer to show her receiving messages in her Diamond form? Does Fraction even know what an Omega Level Mutant is? Emma is not comparable to Jean, Rachel, or even Quentin Quire in terms of psychic ability.  In fairness, I like some of his ideas, but they are so poorly executed and so poorly-reckoned that they just fail. (His lack of X-History knowledge/ respect for X-History and his generally carelessness is what reallyyyy lets him down! ...and his inability to write established characters as themselves). "

She helped him get a hold of himself in New Avengers 7-10, and then she had a dream of him reaching out to her for help in the "Secret Invasion: Dark Reign" one-shot. And now they met again in Exodus. Not so extensive in an objective sense perhaps, but if you compare it to Jean (or any other X-man) then it is.

I don't think the Phoenix story can be used as proof either for or against her omeganess, as one of the Cuckoos did successfully wield the Phoenix in Warsong later (also by Pak).
    As Pak stated it later:

HM:  2.) Why was Celeste able to act as a host for the Phoenix Force in Phoenix Warsong and Emma unable to in Phoenix Endsong? From what I understood Emma insinuated that it had something to do with herself being cold emotionally. Does that mean the host of the Phoenix Force has to be full of passion and positive emotion?

GP:  In the last issue of “Warsong,” Emma tells Celeste, “I trained you so stupidly -- tried to make you cold and cynical.  Because that’s how I survived.  But you’re stronger than that.  Stronger than me.”  That might mean that Celeste’s psionic potential is actually stronger than Emma’s.  Or it might imply that to host the Phoenix requires a willingness to open oneself up or give oneself away in a way that Emma couldn’t.  I’ll leave it up for readers to draw their own conclusions.

Who can say how the Void works? Neither it nor Sentry's capabilities have really been nailed down yet. It's just a sliver, so it can be assumed to not have that much power, but if she went flesh it would perhaps be able to start spreading and corrupt her.

I don't think a telepath has to enter a mind to send thoughts to it. Compare with the telepathic broadcast Emma did in UXM 500, did she enter the minds of all the recipients?

I believe he was the first to show the diamond form receiving messages. But then again, hardly any writers have shown her interact with telepaths while in diamond form before. Fraction did have Xavier notice that her thoughts were "protected". So he seems to have her diamond form able to receive mental energy, but it will probably be filtered so it cannot cause any harm.  Likewise her mind cannot be entered which prevents other psis from reading her thoughts.

Fraction might (hopefully!) be using the term omega to mean a really high-level telepath and not a mutant of unlimited potential and power, but it is too soon to tell yet. She was unable to hold the Void back though except for a very short time and needed Xavier's help to get into Sentry's mind in the first place; that would seem her power is not really of the unlimited type.
    uncanny89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By uncanny89

nice argument there and i agree with your final comment about her not being able to access sentrys mind with out help (but she did it the first time around, strange) i dont think her character is an omega class mutant just a really powerfull one and i think this adds to her character makes her likeable, and not to over powered.  

i just hope that the diam,ond form predicament doesnt last for long

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.