Emma Frost, Like? or Dislike?

Posted by StormyWeather (747 posts) - - Show Bio

As I read the X-Men comics I've gotten to know the character Emma Frost a little bit. Now I've chosen my favorites for various reasons other than the fact that I think they have cool powers. As I read through each saga I grew to dislike Emma Frost. I felt as though she was very untrustworthy, and only working for her best interests at heart. In my opinion there is nothing more scary than an evil telepath, and by no means is Emma Frost an amateur telepath. It also irritated me that she just up and joined the X-Men and became co-leader when there were members who had proven their loyalty to the team and Charles Xavier. Not only that, she zones in on Scott Summers and completely disregards the fact that he is married to Jean Grey. Why she did that I do NOT know, what made her think Jean wouldn't find out anyway? But I guess in a lot of ways Emma isn't ALL bad, after all she herself was a teacher for mutants as Xavier was, so she did care about people. But being a member of the hellfire club in my opinion warrants some kind of "evil" reputation. Not to mention she kidnapped and caged the X-Men and switched bodies with Storm (my #1 favorite X-man/woman). But I think Kitty said it best in Astonishing X-Men:Gifted, basically she said that there was nothing she could do to prove that she was "good", in her eyes she's always going to be evil and will never trust her. I thought, now if I were a founding member of that team would I trust her? Probably not.
But I recently read Emma's back story, her X-Men origins. In all three stories it kind of gives you her background and shows you how she became the person she is today. Now aside from her evil doings that we all know about, you can't help but admire her in a sense, it takes a very smart and cunning person to do some of the things shes done. Especially in her history as a teenager and her powers were first starting to emerge. When you read that you see where Emma grew up and what she had to put up with, it explains so much. I guess you could say I misjudged Emma? LOL but after reading her history I have made her one of my favorite X-Men, i guess I kind of liked her all along but never allowed myself to admit it. 

I guess the lesson here is don't judge anybody, everyone has a story, this includes fictional characters LOL

#1 Posted by SC (12701 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats really nice, very cool in fact, thanks for sharing and also for being open minded. Its so easy to just stick to our favorite characters, but yea, the more the merrier I think makes the world a better place! ^_^

Moderator Online
#2 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10008 posts) - - Show Bio
@StormyWeather:
Very Cool. I also grew to like Emma because of her bitchiness (mader her fun to read lol), and I thought she made an excellent advesary for Storm in classic x-mem. I agree with you on the co-leader issue you mentioned. I respect Emma's abilities, and am OK with her being co-leader, but I don't think leadership, especially with her personality, is one of her outstanding attributes, and I think she should have done more to earn it.   
#3 Posted by mario_nblc (116 posts) - - Show Bio

She is mind controling all of you! Dont trust Emma! ... haha nah just kidding, well sort of ...  
As a Jean Grey "stalker" i hated when Emma showed up and just ruined everything for me. BUT she is an amusing character. I love anything she says.  
For me it will always be a love/hate relationship with her.
#4 Posted by StormyWeather (747 posts) - - Show Bio
@mario_nblc:  thas how was, a love/hate type of thing
#5 Posted by mario_nblc (116 posts) - - Show Bio

Does Storm like Emma? I dont think she does.  I remember Emma calling her Your Highness and all that ... which was pretty funny but still  lol
#6 Posted by PowerHerc (81637 posts) - - Show Bio

I like her.  She's one of my favorite female villains.
#7 Posted by Mercy_ (92558 posts) - - Show Bio

Love

#8 Posted by War Killer (19983 posts) - - Show Bio

She's one of my top 3 favorite X-Woman, Kitty Pryde and X-23 being the other two. Her character is great and her powers are awesome and she makes for a really interesting story when it involves her and she's just a heck of a great character to read in the comics.

#9 Posted by StormyWeather (747 posts) - - Show Bio
@mario_nblc:  no Emma and Storm will never like each other in my opinion, Emma kidnapped the XMen b4 she joined them & she switched bodies with Storm, shes played with Storm more than once, and they fought in the Xtreme XMen saga when there was the 3 separate teams
#10 Posted by SC (12701 posts) - - Show Bio
@mario_nblc: @StormyWeather:  My own personal take, is that Storm has a measurable amount of respect for Emma, and would consider her a worthy ally, Ororo isn't really a hold a grudge type character, and although Emma would never concede it readily, she would admit (to herself) that her old ways were flawed in achieving her goals. I think Storm realizes that as well. So I can't help but think that they would recognize each other as highly valuable, and competent members of the X-Men, and leaders/potential leaders as well, as well as just, viewing each other as very strong dependent and intelligent females, often considered outspoken or a bit high and mighty by their peers. So I think they would have a healthy appreciation for each other as well.  

That being said, they will never likely be friends the way Storm and Jean are, or Storm and Nightcrawler are etc
Moderator Online
#11 Posted by StormyWeather (747 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC:  ur right, that was well said by the way :-)
#12 Posted by SC (12701 posts) - - Show Bio
@StormyWeather:  Awh thanks StormyWeather ^_^ i appreciate it. 
Moderator Online
#13 Posted by Cats (666 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" Love "
This. 

I have a thing for bitchy, sexual characters. I like the fact that isn't a generic "good girl", and has bit of a dark side.  She's also a very strong character, and her relationship with her students is quite......"interesting". Overall Emma Frost is one of my favorite x-men, and she deserves better than Scott :p
#14 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Emma =)

#15 Posted by Donnieman v5.1 (44323 posts) - - Show Bio

She's more interesting than Jean >:D

#16 Posted by Mercy_ (92558 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aiden Cross said:
" I love Emma =) "
I like you more and more every day. :P
#17 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @Aiden Cross said:
" I love Emma =) "
I like you more and more every day. :P "
Flirt! :p
#18 Posted by Mercy_ (92558 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aiden Cross said:
" @The Dark Huntress said:
" @Aiden Cross said:
" I love Emma =) "
I like you more and more every day. :P "
Flirt! :p "
Just the truth. :P
#19 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" Just the truth. :P "
lol, anyway i read her mini and everything thanks to Pixelized. =)
#20 Posted by Mercy_ (92558 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aiden Cross said:
lol, anyway i read her mini and everything thanks to Pixelized. =) "
<_< I still haven't read it. 
#21 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @Aiden Cross said:
<_< I still haven't read it.  "
Aww, you should. It's fun, little high school mutant drama :p
#22 Posted by Mercy_ (92558 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aiden Cross said:
" @Aiden Cross said:
<_< I still haven't read it.  "
Aww, you should. It's fun, little high school mutant drama :p "
I've been meaning to. ^_^
#23 Posted by SC (12701 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress:  Yep yep, you definitely need to listen to Aiden here, and read her mini, its really great and really shows how she developed and picked up so many of her best traits. i think you'll really enjoy her relationship with her brother too!  

@Aiden Cross:
 Spies Aiden though two cut out holes in a newspaper.  

Both of you and any Emma fan, should get the Jubilee Wolverine issue too, Emma was great in that one, almost as much as she was in the Gambit Storm one shot. 
Moderator Online
#24 Posted by Mercy_ (92558 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC: What's the reading order? There's Bloom, Mind Games and Higher Learning. 
#25 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC:  i should've never followed you :P

Yeah but i'm not a Wolverine or Jubilee fan lol.
#26 Posted by SC (12701 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @SC: What's the reading order? There's Bloom, Mind Games and Higher Learning.  "

It goes, 'Higher Learning' first, 'Mind Games' second, and then 'Bloom' third. So the reverse order of what you listed lol
Moderator Online
#27 Posted by Mercy_ (92558 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
" @SC: What's the reading order? There's Bloom, Mind Games and Higher Learning.  "
 It goes, 'Higher Learning' first, 'Mind Games' second, and then 'Bloom' third. So the reverse order of what you listed lol "
Thank you. :D
#28 Posted by SC (12701 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aiden Cross said:
" @SC:  i should've never followed you :P  Yeah but i'm not a Wolverine or Jubilee fan lol. "

Seeing a moving bush walking around as if it had legs? lol 

Oh, thats cool, I am not a big Wolverine fan, but if your starved off decent Emma appearances, she is pretty well characterized in this book, for the 3 pages she appears in. 3 pages here >> 3 issues of Fraction's Emma, sad... because its true. lol
Moderator Online
#29 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC:  =O So that WAS you!!!

I actually dropped X-Men, the combination of Fraction and Land was too much for me, i'll wait for the new writer to see if things pick up. I'll just stick with X-Factor for now!
#30 Posted by SC (12701 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aiden Cross:   Only people that enjoy torturing themselves can handle that particular combination. Sticking with X-Factor shouldn't just be a theme here, it should be a life motto. lol

@The Dark Huntress:
  Right? Stick with X-Factor should be a constant life motto? lol Plus no probs. Start up a Emma thread/blog when you get around to reading them, Will be fun. ^_^
Moderator Online
#31 Posted by Mercy_ (92558 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC: Sticking with X-Factor should most definitely be a constant life motto and will do. :D
#32 Posted by andrea_mendoza1997 (342 posts) - - Show Bio

She is pretty cool at times but I feel like she is a real backstabber at times

#33 Posted by batmanary (798 posts) - - Show Bio

Emma makes Cyclops a more interesting character....cuz honestly without her he would have still been that mopey geek.

#34 Posted by God_Spawn (37319 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the character
#35 Posted by Manchine (3973 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I think Emma makes a great.....VILLAIN.
#36 Posted by Aqua11500 (2647 posts) - - Show Bio

Well for me it's  mutual with her 

but mostly dislike.though i'll admit she has her moments.

#37 Posted by MonsterObsessor (1174 posts) - - Show Bio
@StormyWeather: I really like Emma Frost. As for the enemies part with the likes of Jean Grey, Kitty Pryde, and other X-Women, I'm just gonna ignore that because I'm not interested, and that's final.
#38 Posted by MonsterObsessor (1174 posts) - - Show Bio
@StormyWeather: I really like her, but there are three things I dislike about her: 1.) villain, 2.) cold-heartedness, and 3.) enemies with Jean Grey, Kitty Pryde, or any with the other x-men women because I find this one-sided, and that's final!
#39 Posted by God_Spawn (37319 posts) - - Show Bio
@MonsterObsessor said:
" @StormyWeather: I really like Emma Frost. As for the enemies part with the likes of Jean Grey, Kitty Pryde, and other X-Women, I'm just gonna ignore that because I'm not interested, and that's final."

@MonsterObsessor said:
" @StormyWeather: I really like her, but there are three things I dislike about her: 1.) villain, 2.) cold-heartedness, and 3.) enemies with Jean Grey, Kitty Pryde, or any with the other x-men women because I find this one-sided, and that's final! "

?? 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.