Emma Frost in Second Coming

#1 Posted by uncanny89 (821 posts) - - Show Bio

Do any of the Emma Frost fans think that she is being put on the sidelines in this event?  Personally i think that she is, all she is doing at the moment is agreeing with cyclops in the meetings and thats about it.  I want her to be in the action, come on her diamond form could kick arse against the Nimrods couldn't it?

#2 Posted by Edamame (28002 posts) - - Show Bio
Pretty much. LOL. She is only being depicted as having small talk. 

I barely see her talk to others. LOL.  When things are serious, she appears to be aloof.
#3 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18683 posts) - - Show Bio

They should have given her a bigger role.

#4 Posted by uncanny89 (821 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx:   every issue im thinking why are you having psylocke do all the telepathic stuff etc just use Emma for god sake (i dont want to come off like a fan boy) but seriously Emma is the strongest Telepath they have why not use her?
#5 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18683 posts) - - Show Bio
@uncanny89: The only thing Emma did so far was confirm someone's death lol
#6 Posted by uncanny89 (821 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx:   i know lol its a bit annoying,  Hopefully she will become more involved towards the end 
#7 Posted by nickDMC (81 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that Emma was for back-up communication to the teams trying to save Hope in the beginning of Second Coming. She stayed by Scott's side and was able to speak to the team out in the field for Scott. I think that there are already enough characters in the battle, but they also need characters like Emma to stay back. However, I agree with all the posts above me; but it can be a good thing that she is helping Scott and talking to him through this whole situation.

#8 Posted by uncanny89 (821 posts) - - Show Bio
@nickDMC:   dont they have com devices though?  or are they just relying on telepaths now?  The fact that Emma is on utopia along side Scott is making me think that she will take on a more leader like role post second coming
#9 Posted by nickDMC (81 posts) - - Show Bio

I was speaking of the situation when the lost their communication device with the Alpha Team.
And agreed, I can definitely see her as more of a leader, because she is one.

#10 Posted by spiderguylll (620 posts) - - Show Bio

Her time is coming...it Always is
Cyclops 4 Life

#11 Posted by uncanny89 (821 posts) - - Show Bio
@nickDMC:   I guess i would just like to see her in a more active role.
#12 Edited by nickDMC (81 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really pay attention to Emma, but if she did have a more active role, maybe I would be able to focus on her. 
It's just that many people of the comic community just keeps telling me about her bad reputation.
If she shows more of her diamond mutation and appears in more action scenes, I would definitely start liking her more than right now.

#13 Posted by uncanny89 (821 posts) - - Show Bio
@nickDMC:   I think you should at least start to read some more stuff about her, she is an amazing character.  People need to accept that she is a heroine and not a villainess now.  Her time as a villain is now less than the time she has spent as a hero, people need to move one and accept her,  her character is 30 years old roughly, and roughly 20 of them she has been a hero  (im classing it as Uncanny 281 as he starting to become one.  Trust me start to notice the things emma says and does it can be interesting (unless its in fractions uncanny book) 
#14 Posted by Elixir95 (388 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree, her role in this series is very limited and has been for a while now.  Maybe that's because of her heavy inclusion in the Utopia arc...  Maybe?

#15 Posted by uncanny89 (821 posts) - - Show Bio
@Elixir95:   thats possible, maybe they are holding back with her now because of that
#16 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18683 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope she plays a bigger role in Curse of the Mutants..

#17 Posted by nikbackm (184 posts) - - Show Bio
@Elixir95 said:
" I agree, her role in this series is very limited and has been for a while now.  Maybe that's because of her heavy inclusion in the Utopia arc...  Maybe? "
Partly that, and this crossover is also about wrapping up the Cable and X-Force story arcs over the last few years, so it makes sense that Cable, Hope, X-Force and Cyclops (as overall commander) would have the largest roles. There's not really a "natural" role for Emma here, but even so she's had at least as much screen time as any other character not being integral to the story. 

Not exactly a lack of stories around focusing more on Emma either, there's the ongoing Heralds by Immonen (which is great!) and next arc in Uncanny looks to take up the Emma, Namor and Shaw plot thread again.

So no need to be greedy.
#18 Posted by eldestrisk (623 posts) - - Show Bio

This is actually one of my few complaints on second coming, I can't comprehend why they are putting Emma on the side line more and more with each week.

#19 Posted by Edamame (28002 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean, they already have the Stepford Cuckoos working with Cerebro.  I think that she just wants to stay near Scott.

Also, Emma fighting the Nimrods? In 616, how can her diamond form be destroyed again?

#20 Posted by uncanny89 (821 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame:   diamond bullet i believe and it looked like banshee came close in necrosha
#21 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18683 posts) - - Show Bio

I just want to see Emma beat the hell out of one nimrod in her diamond form during this event, and i'll be happy. lol

#22 Edited by Darksteelwing (78 posts) - - Show Bio

I do think she is being put to the sidelines now in second coming, but really, the only characters that are not in the same situation are X-Force members, Cyclops, Rogue, Hope and Cable. Considering Emma's importance to the "foundation" of Utopia, I'd expect more, though, at least having more of a second-in-command position or something like that. 

With that said, I'm with xxCellPhoneGirlxx, just pit her against one of those nimrod and I'm happy. 

#23 Edited by Edamame (28002 posts) - - Show Bio
I forgot about the Banshee thing in Necrosha. So I have no idea what you are talking about.

Diamond bullet? Shot anywhere on her body?
#24 Posted by uncanny89 (821 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame:   when banshee came into necrosha and did his scream the artist drew cracks on her 
#25 Posted by Edamame (28002 posts) - - Show Bio
@uncanny89: Oh. I wish I saw that here.
#26 Posted by uncanny89 (821 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame:   you need to read necrosha its pretty good
#27 Posted by Edamame (28002 posts) - - Show Bio
@uncanny89: I read it all, but I guess I missed that small fact.  I wasn´t looking that keenly at Emma´s diamond form. LOL
#28 Posted by uncanny89 (821 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame:   the only reason i noticed was because it was a full page of banshee in the centre and emma, cyclops and someone else, it was a really good panel.
#29 Posted by Edamame (28002 posts) - - Show Bio
@uncanny89: The art is really getting good these days. Did Blink get cut by Archangel? Near the end?
#30 Posted by uncanny89 (821 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame:   i cant remember,  but with angels mentality at the end of necrosha it is possible.   
#31 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah, I have to agree that Emma hasn't done all that much in SC 
but it's not over yet 
and it's not like she's going anywhere 
I'm sure she'll step up soon and do something amazing 
she always does  ;)
#32 Posted by Darksteelwing (78 posts) - - Show Bio

She did appear fighting a nimrod. Just one panel though...
I admit I expected more.

#33 Posted by lorex (928 posts) - - Show Bio

Emma has not been involved much not because Cyclops has been protecting her but telepathic communication is valuable in a crisis and she already has his full trust and knows some(all) of his plans. Who better to disseminate information to the troops.

#34 Posted by uncanny89 (821 posts) - - Show Bio
@lorex: @Darksteelwing:   I just think its a bit crap how they are basically using emma and a communication device lol
#35 Posted by golvellius (207 posts) - - Show Bio

It was awful. Her role was meaningless and her character has been off character for several storylines.  Emma is a strong, manipulating, and fearless.  Even before having her diamond mutation she could kick ass fighting against trained x-men like banshee.  There is even a part in chapter 13 where Cyclops and Logan run to aid hope and wolverin tells emma to stay that there is nothing she can do and she just looks down and says I know.  That's so out of character.   The logical thing was to diamond up and run after them.  Second Coming was a big disappointment, When is the Phoenix going to stop being the center of every major crossover?? I hope Grand Morrison was back he knows how to write Emma, mean, cold and bitchy.
#36 Posted by Mercy_ (92083 posts) - - Show Bio
@golvellius said:
" It was awful. Her role was meaningless and her character has been off character for several storylines.  Emma is a strong, manipulating, and fearless.  Even before having her diamond mutation she could kick ass fighting against trained x-men like banshee.  There is even a part in chapter 13 where Cyclops and Logan run to aid hope and wolverin tells emma to stay that there is nothing she can do and she just looks down and says I know.  That's so out of character.   The logical thing was to diamond up and run after them.  Second Coming was a big disappointment, When is the Phoenix going to stop being the center of every major crossover?? I hope Grand Morrison was back he knows how to write Emma, mean, cold and bitchy. "
Fraction made her a domesticated housewife. 
#37 Posted by uncanny89 (821 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress:   I know what you mean, Emma has been my favourite character since i've been reading comics and i, if i'm honest, liked the way fraction wrote Emma and Scotts relationship but now we are 31 issues into his run and i'm getting annoyed now with how he is writing Emma, She needs to go back to how she was during Grant Morrison's run and to some extent Joss Wheadon's run on astonishing.  I think its about time we got a new creative team on Uncanny, my personal preference would be Kyle and Yost with Harvey Tolibao doing the art.
#38 Edited by Mercy_ (92083 posts) - - Show Bio
@uncanny89 said:

" @The Dark Huntress:   I know what you mean, Emma has been my favourite character since i've been reading comics and i, if i'm honest, liked the way fraction wrote Emma and Scotts relationship but now we are 31 issues into his run and i'm getting annoyed now with how he is writing Emma, She needs to go back to how she was during Grant Morrison's run and to some extent Joss Wheadon's run on astonishing.  I think its about time we got a new creative team on Uncanny, my personal preference would be Kyle and Yost with Harvey Tolibao doing the art. "

Emma in Wolverine and the X-Men is what gave me the push to actually start reading comics, so she's always been one of my favorite characters. He started out writing her true to character (going behind his back to join with Osborn, only to turn on him), but at this point she's Mrs. Cyclops and she cries. Since when does Emma cry? Ugh. YES! Morrison brought her back onto the map and he did it with style. I also loved her in Kyle and Yost's run of New X-Men. Emma is a teacher at heart and she will do whatever it takes to help/protect/teach her students. Whatever it takes. I would LOVE Kyle and Yost on Uncanny. And I love Tolibao, but I would prefer Choi/Oback. 
#39 Edited by nikbackm (184 posts) - - Show Bio
@golvellius:   Pretty sure the "I know" was meant to "subtly" hint that Hope = Jean and that Emma would know to step out of the way and let Logan and Scott settle it! :) 

@The Dark Huntress:

You don't like Emma crying? Well, it was Morrison who started that as I recall. But he did it well and more important, infrequently. Since then she's been a watering pot mainly in the works of Kyle&Yost (and Yost's solo writing). Can't actually recall that Fraction would have "sinned" here, not to say he get's off scot-free of course! 

Should perhaps be noted that the two most recent stories I've seen getting complaints about Emma doing nothing and/or being ineffective was Necrosha/Second Coming, both K&Y driven stories. Of course for good reason as she was only vaguely connected to the plot there and other characters had the main focus. But still Fraction often seems to get the blame for some reason.

Personally I look forward to seeing what the Gillen & Fraction combo will do.
#40 Posted by Mercy_ (92083 posts) - - Show Bio
@nikbackm: I have no issue with Emma crying. My previous statement was a bit inaccurate. I have problems with her crying over things that normally wouldn't phase her. I have problems with her being relegated to second fiddle to Cyke and not really that, just the way that she's being portrayed in general.  

She appears mainly in Uncanny. Doesn't matter who writes the brunt of the story, the majority of her appearances are written by Fraction, who's playing fanboy to Scott. Scott's badass. We get it. I like Scott as a badass, but I do not like him as a badass at the cost of making Emma look like an ineffectual wuss.  
#41 Posted by Mercy_ (92083 posts) - - Show Bio
@golvellius: Who are you disagreeing with? ....she doesn't have the same powers as Rogue, similar but not the same. ........she's not memorable? She's the first mutant to be born since M-Day, she's had a huge story arc devoted to her, is the newest host of the Phoenix and Nighcrawler gave his life to save her's...but she's not memorable? That's faulty logic. 
#42 Posted by golvellius (207 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickbackm: 

I differ...Endsong proved that Emma is not one to coward even when facing the dreadfull and all powerfull Phoenix.  I do believe that the writer wanted to focus on how powerful is Hope.  Wich is preatty pointless when you take into account that she has Rogue's power minus her absorbing handicap.  By the way the idea of a mutant possesing every mutans power was allready used in X-factor....it was a lame power for a new character; besides the Phoenix force Hope has nothing appealling and I guess she won't be that memorable as a character.  I do believe that if the writer was going to focus this story on just a few of the characters then it was pointless of having a huge crossover across every title with an X.  Really it could have fitted in five issues of X-Force.... 
#43 Posted by golvellius (207 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress:
One year from now...she will not be memorable.  I started reading Generation Hope and I can tell this is one character that won't be staying for long....She could have been great. Messiah was great; but Second Coming blew it.  She is redundant.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.