Follow

Emma Frost

Character » Emma Frost appears in 6154 issues.

Emma Frost is a fictional character originating from Marvel Comics. Originally starting off as a super villain and enemy of the X-Men, during which she was the White Queen of the Hellfire Club, Emma Frost is a powerful mutant telepath who can transform herself into organic diamond. She has become a prominent member of the X-Men. A gifted teacher, Emma is renowned for her beauty, wit, and sense of fashion.

Emma Frost and the "Slut Walk Movement"

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By moywar700

While browsing online, I found this interesting article. These group of females want to be allowed to dress openly but cops belive that'll make woman more susceptible to rape.What I found unexpected is that these females read Emma Frost's Solo and were inspired by her. I thought this was intriguing to share; someone who is not a comic fan appreciates emma frost. what do you guys think about this situation?

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43186960/ns/today-today_health/t/brace-yourself-summer-sluts/#.Tw-euKWKd2B

trell_090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By trell_090

Interesting.

"A slut can be someone who is in control and unashamed of their sexuality…. A slut can be someone who is unafraid to enjoy consensual sex. A slut can be someone who refuses to believe…that enjoying sex or owning one’s sexuality is an invitation of violence.”

Epic win to that quote! everyone should have the right to dress like he/she wants and enjoy their sexuality without being judged.

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Darkmount1

@trell_090: And those who don't even think about that subject? (Not counting the ones who choose to do the opposite of what you just said, just those who consider the whole thing a non-issue.)

rpgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By rpgr

Big problem with that argument is that these women don't have Super powers. In psychiatric terms it's illusions of grandeur.

I'm all for women to be allowed to dress however they want, (they can go naked for all I care, nay, I prefer that) but likewise they need to be aware that there could be potential unforeseen consequences (if statistics backs this up, I don't know as most studies are skewed usually one way or the other and arguments against one or the other are fairly good). They shouldn't have to fear for their life or safety because of it but you can't control another person's choices, you can only control your own. Would I dress in a speedo (and only a speedo) all the time? I'd guess I'd be a target if I did (based on stories on gay beatings). I could do it on a well traveled Beach during the day but if it was at night in the city alone...

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I swear people will protest the dumbest things, the word "slut" like any other negative word only has as much power as you put into it.

Galathanos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Galathanos

Comics need to be in the public eye but not this way, this will only add fire to the whole "comics will corrupt your kids" thing

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7  Edited By SC  Moderator

Well it was just one cop (at least as far as words, who knows about attitudes), and he has been since been made to retract his statements on account of being ignorant, hopefully most other cops know better, and that dress is inconsequential when it comes to the horrible crime that is rape. Based on experience, statistics, studies, psychology, attacker recollection, and so on.  

Emma is a great modern day comics character. She exemplifies the judging a book by its cover attitude that prompts such flawed thinking as thinking that girls who were certain clothes are "asking for it" and just highlights blame the victim attitudes and lack of general empathy for others. Readers who are more thoughtful and considerate about Emma, find a smart, confident, brazen, and intelligent woman, with a fast wit, and faster mouth, and those who underestimate her in the comic world are usually cut down to size pretty fast.  

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Nerx

I guess Ariel Levy was right, they are reaffirming the stereotype by objectifying themselves with the notion of 'empowerment' good job sluts. Don't expect to go into a patriarchal country with a slingshot bikini.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @The Stegman said:
    I swear people will protest the dumbest things, the word "slut" like any other negative word only has as much power as you put into it.

I just wanted to clarify, your not talking about the march as being in protest right? Since it started when an uneducated police officer make a common sense argument which as he later found out, and what we all should know is absolutely incorrect (clothing has no bearing on rape) and that the walk is to highlight and bring awareness and encourage education on rape culture, blame the victim mentality. (the culture that blames rape victims for getting themselves raped when dress, attractiveness, promiscuity and so on actually have little to no bearing on who and who doesn't get raped) 
    Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nerx

@SC:

(the culture that blames rape victims for getting themselves raped when dress, attractiveness, promiscuity and so on actually have little to no bearing on who and who doesn't get raped)

Man that is stupid, rape is equal and everyone can be victimized as equally given that they have a wet hole.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @Nerx:  Well yes, most rapists know their victims and select them that way, many sexual assaults take place in places traditionally thought safe, such as the victims residence, instead of what's depicted in movies and TV, and most attackers don't even remember what their victim was wearing. Rape is about power, not so much sex. The best way to get rid of the problem is to know what the problem actually is, instead of assuming, and then address it.  
    Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nerx

@SC: True, it is used in wars as method of relief or recreation. Rape has come a long way since the history of this planet, heck even animals do it (ducks, bonobo monkeys, etc.). In prison it is done to establish power. But then again it is not easy to do, most relatives do it to each other because it is the most efficient method relative to doing that serial killer stalking and then penetration. Residences are not only 'safe' but perfect since nobody thought it can happen there, its not that they don't remember but they don't give a sh!t. But please use common sense when dressing, lik how a man wearing a g string thong in a prison would be well considered asking for it. Even properly dressed women with a rich background get raped (some rapists might even prefer that). Tell dudes to not rape and tell girls to be careful (raunch culture - ariel levy).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.