Cracked?

#1 Posted by Son Of Storm (11297 posts) - - Show Bio
Can someone please explain to me how a resurrected Banshee was able to crack Emma in diamond form with his scream? 

#2 Posted by The_MVPs (84696 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm guessing that part of his scream hit her shatter point and cracked her....havent read the issue so I'm only speculating.

#3 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sick of her and this diamond form.She's the only person who can transform her skin into a harder substance yet it constantly gets penetrated.Just take the power way already.

#4 Edited by nikbackm (184 posts) - - Show Bio

Who says he did?  Nothing of the like was mentioned in the issue.

First, the art is quite "busy", does not have to be cracks, just dirt or whatever.
Second, could have happened earlier when she was assaulted by the Hellions, and possibly other threats off-screen as well.  

Finally, if the scream was that powerful it should have caused some more damage to the others who only have normal human durability. But that's comics of course.

Now, if the diamond form actually was cracked, then it means it has to have some kind of self-repair mechanism as there were no cracks left whatsoever in Uncanny 518-519 when she got rid of the "stuck in diamond form" affliction.

#5 Posted by The_MVPs (84696 posts) - - Show Bio

I think its pretty clear that there are cracks running along her shoulder...

#6 Posted by nikbackm (184 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" I'm sick of her and this diamond form.She's the only person who can transform her skin into a harder substance yet it constantly gets penetrated.Just take the power way already. "

Eh, this happens to pretty much ALL super-durable characters; Colossus, Hulk, Skaar, Thanos etc. Even Superman, just see him get penetrated by a multitude of metal knifes in the "War of the Supermen" mini. These days there are almost no totally invulnerable characters as having them accrue some damage and later heal apparently looks better and adds more drama.  Might be the Wolverine-effect.

@Gambler said:
" I think its pretty clear that there are cracks running along her shoulder... "

Could be, but as nothing was made of it in this issue and it had disappeared later on it's hard to draw any real conclusion from it.
#7 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
"She's the only person who can transform her skin into a harder substance"
Colossus and Husk also do this. So does Iceman, actually.
#8 Posted by Edamame (28282 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it is just PIS, since bullets don´t do anything to her diamond form.

#9 Posted by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio

Diamonds are vulnerable to supersonics. I don't think it's a PIS.
#10 Posted by Edamame (28282 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24: Why are diamonds vulnerable to supersonics when they aren´t vulnerable to bullets?
#11 Posted by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame:
It has something to do with vibrations, I am not sure though.
#12 Edited by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not a plot point.  They don't talk about it, and nothing in the plot hinges on this.  This is not "Plot Induced Stupidity".  It is a classic case of "artistic license".  Nothing more, nothing less.   

This is a big fuss over one little panel.  A big fuss over nothing.

#13 Posted by Edamame (28282 posts) - - Show Bio
It would be classified as AL then. LOL. 
#14 Posted by Diamondache (5 posts) - - Show Bio

well diamond in Greek is " αδάμας – adámas" which means unbreakable but marvel metals have proven that wrong. even though diamond is invulnerable to almost everything. but there are different types of diamond: there are synthetic diamonds and regular diamonds and hyper-diamonds which exceed Mohs scale of mineral hardness. but you need to remember this is a comic book and not a geology class.

#15 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
"I'm sick of her and this diamond form.She's the only person who can transform her skin into a harder substance yet it constantly gets penetrated.Just take the power way already. "

lol hahahhahahaha im sorry. but the "constantly gets penetrated" part was just hilarious, since its emma.
#16 Posted by hdorman1 (4662 posts) - - Show Bio

diamonds are like glass 
really hard  (alot harder obviously)
but still quite brittle 
you could smash a diamond with a hammer 
and they are vulnerable to sound waves of that high intensity as the constant vibrations resonant throughout it and damage the fault(thats in every diamond) further

#17 Posted by Edamame (28282 posts) - - Show Bio

Then how did she heal?

@DH69 said:

" @Vance Astro said:
"I'm sick of her and this diamond form.She's the only person who can transform her skin into a harder substance yet it constantly gets penetrated.Just take the power way already. "
lol hahahhahahaha im sorry. but the "constantly gets penetrated" part was just hilarious, since its emma. "

LOL
#18 Posted by Hamz (342 posts) - - Show Bio

Diamond isn't indestructible. It's simply got a higher level of resistance to most other naturally produced substances. If my science knowledge and memory is correct....

In terms of toughness diamond is much harder to scratch which is why industrial drill heads are often diamond tipped because they can take much more punishment from the friction of drilling through hard rock than most other materials.

In terms of hardness diamond is stronger than most other gemstones but it's still relatively weak and can be cut to make pieces of jewellery and so forth. So in reality if you hit a diamond at the right angle on the right edge you could cause it to shatter completely or just crack ever so slightly. It depends on the quality of the diamond itself.

In Emma's case the impact of a bullet just hasn't got enough energy behind it to cause any real damage. But if sustained long enough then the vibrations of a sonic scream could, potentially, have enough energy behind it to cause the basic cracks and fractures to appear and grow wider.

Like someone said above though it's more artistic license than scientifically inspired, but still what I've mentioned above is a plausible explanation. I mean we have been able to cut diamonds for centuries to make jewellery so I'm sure a walking diamond form can suffer from a few cracks when surrounded in strong vibrations.

#19 Posted by Charmix (11958 posts) - - Show Bio

Because minerals and other substances related to it can deform due to the hypersonic pinch that Banshee is able to create causing their molecules to separate which prevents them from becoming rigid and back to a liquid state I'm guessing. Since Emma is diamond and diamond is a type of mineral it needs to form with each other making it more solid but Banshee's scream was able to prevent them from forming in a way that caused her diamond form to break, and if he continue sooner or later she would of been to pieces.

#20 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18857 posts) - - Show Bio
@Charmix said:
" Because minerals and other substances related to it can deform due to the hypersonic pinch that Banshee is able to create causing their molecules to separate which prevents them from becoming rigid and back to a liquid state I'm guessing. Since Emma is diamond and diamond is a type of mineral it needs to form with each other making it more solid but Banshee's scream was able to prevent them from forming in a way that caused her diamond form to break, and if he continue sooner or later she would of been to pieces. "
This makes sense.
#21 Posted by riri4life (7189 posts) - - Show Bio

Even if she did crack, Jean... I mean, Hope can just fuse her molecules back together with the Phoenix Force again. lol Although, Emma should die in Second Coming and enjoy hell for a while before she is magically resurected again! lol (jk...not really though)  

#22 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg said:
" @Vance Astro said:
"She's the only person who can transform her skin into a harder substance"
Colossus and Husk also do this. So does Iceman, actually. "
Well I can understand Iceman but very rarely do I see things like that happen to Colossus or Husk.I just saw Emma get shot with an arrow and it was actually stuck in her arm.
#23 Edited by nikbackm (184 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:

Well I can understand Iceman but very rarely do I see things like that happen to Colossus or Husk.I just saw Emma get shot with an arrow and it was actually stuck in her arm. "

When was Emma shot with an arrow? I can't remember anything like that. 

She was stabbed with a vibranium knife once though, but vibranium has an effect that negates the diamond form.  Omega Red has some similar power he used for good effect on Colossus in Uncanny 496-499 somewhere. Turned him back to flesh.

As for Colossus, he got ripped apart in last New Mutants as well, so saying nothing rarely happens to him is not quite true. Hopefully Magneto can fix him up again. 
And Husk as well come to think of it.
#24 Posted by uncanny89 (821 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro:   what issue was that in then?
#25 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio
@nikbackm said:
" @Vance Astro said:

Well I can understand Iceman but very rarely do I see things like that happen to Colossus or Husk.I just saw Emma get shot with an arrow and it was actually stuck in her arm. "

When was Emma shot with an arrow? I can't remember anything like that.   She was stabbed with a vibranium knife once though, but vibranium has an effect that negates the diamond form.  Omega Red has some similar power he used for good effect on Colossus in Uncanny 496-499 somewhere. Turned him back to flesh. As for Colossus, he got ripped apart in last New Mutants as well, so saying nothing rarely happens to him is not quite true. Hopefully Magneto can fix him up again.  And Husk as well come to think of it. "
It was in Dark Avengers\Uncanny X-men-Exodus.
#26 Posted by uncanny89 (821 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro:   I think that was husk
#27 Posted by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm surprised her diamond form doesn't get messed up more often.  Talk to anyone that makes jewelry and they can tell you, diamonds break all the time.  It's not really that hard to do.   This is what should happen to her diamond form in battle:

#28 Edited by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio
@uncanny89 said:

" @Vance Astro:   I think that was husk "

Now that I look at it.I think it was Husk as well because she doesn't have any clothes on.
#29 Posted by LP (675 posts) - - Show Bio
@Charmix: This is the best thing I've read on ComicVine.
#30 Posted by Charmix (11958 posts) - - Show Bio
@LP said:
" @Charmix: This is the best thing I've read on ComicVine. "
thank you(:<3
#31 Edited by nikbackm (184 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:

" @uncanny89 said:

" @Vance Astro:   I think that was husk "

Now that I look at it.I think it was Husk as well because she doesn't have any clothes on. "
Yes, there's no doubt it was Husk (or another similar D-lister), as Emma stayed behind at the base to deal with Sentry. She did not take part in the pitched battle against Bullseye/Hawkeye and the other Dark Avengers.

So you see, Emma's diamond form does not at all get damaged as often as some people seem to believe. But Colossus and Husk OTOH .... ;)

@Green Skin:

There MIGHT, just might, be a slight difference between real diamonds and Emma's *organic* diamond form. As far as I know, real diamonds are not flexible enough to walk around "in".

Same goes for Colossus' organic steel form, it seems to be a good bit more flexible (and durable) than real world steel alloys.
#32 Posted by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio
@nikbackm:   True enough.
#33 Posted by uncanny89 (821 posts) - - Show Bio
@nikbackm: @Green Skin:  Also unlike in the video Emma is a 5ft plus person who has a diamond like secondary mutation and like nickbackm said it may be different to normal diamond

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.