Bendis Mutates "Uncanny X-Men"

#1 Posted by doddy (248 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=42623

Emma Frost -- I think the character has evolved dramatically over the past 10 or 15 years. … There's so much going on with her thanks to Grant Morrison, Joss Whedon, Matt and Ed -- there's so much going on with her." Bendis stated Emma's will be the most controversial of all the costume designs. "It will still express who she is physically, because it's an important part of her, but it'll be who she sees herself as."

"Magneto is different in that he's made every mistake and wrapped himself around his villainous desires and been a selfish father and just done wrong. … They get to a certain age and realize, 'I'm the asshole.' … He didn't do right by his kids and he's trying to do his version of it with Scott and Emma and all them. It's more about that than Magneto giving Scott villain tips."

#2 Posted by doddy (248 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by Madame_Orchid (49 posts) - - Show Bio

She's the Black Queen now great.

#4 Edited by God_Spawn (37346 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate that cover. Bachalo gave her pecs. Even Colossus would be jealous of those.

#5 Posted by SoA (4695 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: lol!

#6 Posted by Mercy_ (92605 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanna see what it looks like without her in that position, but I really like it so far. And I love the way that Bachalo draws her so much.

#7 Posted by GonnaRain (752 posts) - - Show Bio

Black fits her. I just hope she gets her TP back in Uncanny. ):

#8 Posted by doddy (248 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm wondering who Emma sees herself as now...

#9 Posted by God_Spawn (37346 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if the mole will be her? But I feel like they are trying to make it too obvious if it is her.

#10 Posted by Veitha (2898 posts) - - Show Bio

Bachalo can't make a woman look sexy... He can't draw Emma

#11 Posted by doddy (248 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

I wonder if the mole will be her? But I feel like they are trying to make it too obvious if it is her.

I’m so tired of the Emma-"betrays"-the-team story. Except being controlled, she has always been intensely loyal to the X-Men and people she cares for and she has never really betrayed anyone. I just hate to see writers portraying her as a (fake) traitor.

#12 Posted by GonnaRain (752 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard/read somewhere that Emma's gonna be an important part in the outcoming Age of Ultron's arc. Is that why they're trying to make Emma switch sides?

@doddy said:

@god_spawn said:

I’m so tired of the Emma-"betrays"-the-team story. Except being controlled, she has always been intensely loyal to the X-Men and people she cares for and she has never really betrayed anyone. I just hate to see writers portraying her as a (fake) traitor.

Yup. I don't like the idea of her betraying the team, not even Mags, those two may not have the cleanest history, but for me, they care about their teams, they've come a long way, trying to redeem themselves. I would really hate to see Bendis portray one of them as a traitor.

#13 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2767 posts) - - Show Bio

@GonnaRain said:

I heard/read somewhere that Emma's gonna be an important part in the outcoming Age of Ultron's arc. Is that why they're trying to make Emma switch sides?

@doddy said:

@god_spawn said:

I’m so tired of the Emma-"betrays"-the-team story. Except being controlled, she
has always been intensely loyal to the X-Men and people she cares for and she has
never really betrayed anyone. I just hate to see writers portraying her as a
(fake) traitor.

Yup. I don't like the idea of her betraying the team, not even Mags, those two may not have the cleanest history, but for me, they care about their teams, they've come a long way, trying to redeem themselves. I would really hate to see Bendis portray one of them as a traitor.

this is bendis hes lame sometimes...i think emma will be the traitor, why would she want to be on scott team if shes mad at himand isnt she suppose to help the avengers in the age of ultron???

#14 Posted by PassionFlower (960 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't see her or Magneto being a true traitor,I could see her feeling she can't trust Scott.

#15 Posted by GonnaRain (752 posts) - - Show Bio

@HopesummersFORtheFUTURE said:

@GonnaRain said:

@doddy said:

@god_spawn said:

I’m so tired of the Emma-"betrays"-the-team story. Except being controlled, she
has always been intensely loyal to the X-Men and people she cares for and she has
never really betrayed anyone. I just hate to see writers portraying her as a
(fake) traitor.

this is bendis hes lame sometimes...i think emma will be the traitor, why would she want to be on scott team if shes mad at himand isnt she suppose to help the avengers in the age of ultron???

Of course, she's mad at him, but I don't believe it will last forever. After all, they love, or at least loved each other, so much happened between them, and I really can't see Emma hating Scott forever, or worst, betraying him. And also, this goes beyond Emma and Scott's relationship, it's a mutant cause we're talking about, and I don't believe Emma will turn her back on them like that. Same with Mags.

#16 Posted by CerealKiller (161 posts) - - Show Bio

part of me thinks he took away her telepathy so the traitor would manage to hide among them. because if emma did have her telepathy she would be able to hear any traitorous thoughts straight away and that plot point couldn't stick. I'll think she'll get it back eventually after this arc is over.

#17 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

Bendis MUTILATES Uncanny X-Men

#18 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2767 posts) - - Show Bio

@Madame_Orchid: @PassionFlower: @CerealKiller: @Brazen_Intellect: @doddy:

Emma frost will be the traitor in exchange for her freedom but gets caught and scott makes her leave the team....also making her a back-stabbing witch

#19 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

@Madame_Orchid: @PassionFlower: @CerealKiller: @Brazen_Intellect: @doddy:

Emma frost will be the traitor in exchange for her freedom but gets caught and scott makes her leave the team....also making her a back-stabbing witch

It's possible, but Emma looks too obvious as the potential traitor, if it turns out to be so I would be very displeased with such a predictable candidate. I also do not see how Cyclops would not see this coming a mile away, unless she is mentally manipulating him.

Writers cannot seem to make up their mind if she is supposed to be portrayed as a completely shallow b!tch, a complicated and haunted woman, or somewhere in between. Her characterization is so all across the board I would not even try to guess what they will do with her.

#20 Posted by CerealKiller (161 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah i think it would be way too predictable, doesn't mean im not worried they might do it though. I can imagine that cyclops might suspect shes a traitor, but then it turns out she isnt and thats one of the causes of them splitting up because she's so hurt that he really wouldnt trust her after all this time. Now thats a legitimate reason for a breakup

#21 Posted by Kerrigan (213 posts) - - Show Bio

What is this weird inability Bendis has to write Emma Frost's dialogue? "Wow, Eric, the old you could have balled these puppies into a pinball--" He always gets her wrong. He got her wrong when she showed up in the Avengers, he got her wrong in All New X-Men.

She's smart, cold, high-class, and bitchy. It's not hard. "Wow you could have balled those puppies" is not it.

#22 Posted by Veitha (2898 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kerrigan said:

What is this weird inability Bendis has to write Emma Frost's dialogue? "Wow, Eric, the old you could have balled these puppies into a pinball--" He always gets her wrong. He got her wrong when she showed up in the Avengers, he got her wrong in All New X-Men.

She's smart, cold, high-class, and bitchy. It's not hard. "Wow you could have balled those puppies" is not it.

Exactly! Well, at least she's not the mole

#23 Posted by IllyanaRasputin (1088 posts) - - Show Bio

@Veitha said:

@Kerrigan said:

Or is she?!

#24 Posted by Veitha (2898 posts) - - Show Bio

@IllyanaRasputin said:

@Veitha said:

@Kerrigan said:

Or is she?!

I don't think that Bendis will put two moles in the team hahaha

#25 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Veitha said:

@IllyanaRasputin said:

@Veitha said:

@Kerrigan said:

Or is she?!

If it gets her away from him then please let her be the mole.

#26 Posted by queenfrost_ (2499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kerrigan said:

Yes! I cringe so badly at this crappy dialogue he's giving her. "fella" was bad enough.

@Blood1991 said:

@Veitha said:

@IllyanaRasputin said:

@Veitha said:

@Kerrigan said:

Or is she?!

If it gets her away from him then please let her be the mole.

This ^

PLEASE GIVE EMMA BACK A REASONABLE COSTUME! This is so cheap and 'assassin' looking, something Emma would never go for. She loved to look classy and unique when fighting. Not like some backstreet alley version of Lady Mastermind

#27 Edited by IllyanaRasputin (1088 posts) - - Show Bio

@Veitha said:

@IllyanaRasputin said:

@Veitha said:

@Kerrigan said:

Or is she?!

Well, actually I don't think Magneto is the mole. After Bendis's interview about Emma Frost not being able to control her powers. My theory is that she doesn't trust Magneto 00% or that she fears that someone on her team will betray them. That being said, I think Emma is projecting her thoughts unintentionally, like Bendis described in his interview. She also doesn't realize she's doing this, but I think she'll figure it out after a few issues into Uncanny X-Men. Because in all honesty I don't think that Magneto would betray Cyclops' trust, however I think since Emma doesn't have full control / any control of her telepathic abilities she's the one projecting an illusion of Magneto when he's talking to Hill.

It only makes sense to me because Magneto ppeared out of nowhere, and after being checked by the guard he "magically" or in this case, projected the illusion of a divice that broadcasted the growing mutant population.

#28 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2767 posts) - - Show Bio

@Veitha: @IllyanaRasputin: @Kerrigan said:

maybe shes in shock or something....like her tp powers are alittle crazy right now.....or maybe bendis doesnt know how to portray bitchy...lol

#29 Posted by Veitha (2898 posts) - - Show Bio

@Veitha: @IllyanaRasputin: @Kerrigan said:

maybe shes in shock or something....like her tp powers are alittle crazy right now.....or maybe bendis doesnt know how to portray bitchy...lol

Bendis can't write strong women, that's the problem. He can't write strong and independent women, and that's all Emma Frost was, is and will ever be.

#30 Posted by Mutant God (3020 posts) - - Show Bio

"Wow, Eric, the old you could have balled these puppies into a pinball"?

maybe he is writing her like shes a high class woman from the 1930s, thats the vibe Im getting

#31 Posted by doddy (248 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Posted by GonnaRain (752 posts) - - Show Bio

That looks niiiice. But who is the blonde in the back? A new recruit perhaps?

#33 Posted by doddy (248 posts) - - Show Bio

@GonnaRain said:

I guess so. but she seems old enough to be Eva's mother.

#34 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7264 posts) - - Show Bio

@doddy: Lol. Thought she was a tubby Dazzler.

#35 Edited by GonnaRain (752 posts) - - Show Bio

@doddy said:

@GonnaRain said:

I guess so. but she seems old enough to be Eva's mother.

I don't know. She doesn't look that old to me, I would say around her late twenties. I don't know, could be either way, I have to agree that sometimes Bachalo can't properly portrait a character's age. Even though I really like his artwork in UXM so far.

#36 Posted by doddy (248 posts) - - Show Bio

Why doesn't Emma Frost leave Cyclops and company, especially since all she wanted to do was to be a teacher to mutants again?

Brian Michael Bends: Very good question, and it is actually answered at length in issue #2 of "Uncanny X-Men" where Scott and Emma have a heart-to-heart and get a sense of where they're at. It's a great conversation between the two of them because it's their first conversation where she can't read his mind. So they actually have to talk, like people! Again, their relationship and her relationship to the world is an ongoing concern.

I adore her and I've given a lot of thought to this broken queen. She had it all and now she's rebuilt herself from scratch, which includes her new look and she really has to think about what it is that she wants and what she has to offer the world in the state she's in. Remember, they did some terrible stuff to each other during "Avengers Vs. X-Men" -- and in my opinion, they weren't the best couple in the world to start with. [Laughs] They said and did some terrible stuff, but there's a lot of affection and true respect they have for each other. We'll see where they stand and where they end up.

With the 50th anniversary of the X-Men coming up very shortly this September, there's going to be a lot of big moves, a lot of people not where they are right now.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.