k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

It amazes me how Michael Del Mundo (and colorist Marco D'Alfonso) continue to outdo the brilliant work they've already produced in previous chapters. Issue after issue, ELEKTRA leaves me beyond impressed. The creative layouts and wonderfully presented panels find a way to please your eyes on each and every page. There's a jaw-dropping amount of work put into each and every page and steps are taken to make sure each is inventive and impactful in different ways. Something as simple and as brutal as Elektra stabbing a ninja in the face is still effective (and not to mention amazingly harsh) after seeing something a little more lighthearted, like her kicking someone in the head and stars are used to symbolize how the attack fazed them. And it's not just the characters that look good, either. The way these panels are set up and the angles that are used create some really spectacular sequences. Elektra standing in front of the dragon was staggering and her trip into the past was praiseworthy. No matter what the scene's tone may be, this art team finds a way to adapt and provides absolutely spectacular pages.

Equally impressive and creative is W. Haden Blackman's script. In just one issue, Blackman incorporates a thrilling fight scene, gives a terrific insight into Elektra, and the plot takes a big step forward. Oh, and did I mention there's a dragon eating Hand ninjas? Because there's that as well. Seriously, this chapter feels like it's just one memorable or epic moment after another and it never slows down. Something as simple as Elektra finding out where the Hand took Bullseye could have been executed in such a bland and straightforward manner, but instead of having her just gain information from sources in the traditional way (e.g. harsh interrogation), she needs to eat the heart of a dragon and relive a heartbreaking (pun totally not intended) moment. There's so much imagination in this script and it always manages to enthrall with fantastical elements. This story offers so much more than just Elektra fighting villains. As if that wasn't enough, there's even a very promising cliffhanger. You have moments of character, surreal and fascinating story elements and amazing action. It never hits a low point as it keeps moving forward and manages to impress in completely different ways.

The Bad

I've read the issue twice and no major criticisms come to mind. Well, unless you can count "how is this ending with issue #11?" as a bad thing. No scene failed to capture my interest and nothing had me questioning the logic behind a character's decision or a development in the story.

The Verdict

There are so many things I can say about why I love this issue and this creative team. I could go on and on about how the script is always exciting, even when characters are just offering exposition, or I could talk for hours about the phenomenal artwork. The thing is, no amount of praise will live up to just how much I really loved this issue. This team raised the bar incredibly high when they began the series and they continue to surpass my expectations. Just when I think things can't get any more out-there or exciting, they have Elektra's unforgettable team-up with a dragon and she needs to experience a painful moment all over again before she can move forward. Everything about this series continues to go above and beyond what I could hope for and, no matter how much I praise it, those words just won't live up to how good this comic actually is. It's a book that'll completely absorb your mind and your eyes. Please, do yourself a favor and bring ELEKTRA into your life. It'll give you a stunning escape from reality.

NimaMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By NimaMindTricks

Best Marvel title of 2014 imo

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loving this series right now! Godhead and Spider-verse comics are on my pull-list but I love this Elektra series better than both.

powerplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it weird that I am rooting against Electra? Bullseye is one of my all time favorite villains and I really want to see him go toe to toe with Daredevil again.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Del Mundo has some of the most unique art in today's comics.

WhineHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couldn't agree more. I am continually blown away with this series, and I'll surely miss it when it's gone. There's an operatic feel to the whole thing when you put the art and writing together. Now that's what makes a good comic.

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Going to miss this series. I hope it gets a deluxe edition trade I would love one

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@bigl said:

Going to miss this series. I hope it gets a deluxe edition trade I would love one

Yeah, really hoping Marvel does that. It's only 11 issues!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't been following this series, but "dragon vs ninjas" alone makes me want to pick this issue up.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It is.

Is it weird that I am rooting against Electra? Bullseye is one of my all time favorite villains and I really want to see him go toe to toe with Daredevil again.

As long as you're not going against Elektra, you're okay.

Bukomaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, pretty much enjoyed this series.

NimaMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola said:

@nimamindtricks said:

It is.

@powerplay said:

Anyone curious if Kingpin is making an appearance soon? I am pretty sure he still runs part of the Hand. I know during the Scarlet Spider series earlier this year, it was revealed that he took over leadership of the Assassin's Guild too. I don't think Elektra knows the latter, so it would be nice thing to surprise her with. @k4tzm4n

NimaMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woah didn't read the part that this is ending at #11. Damn it :(

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@nimamindtricks: Bringing Kingpin into this would have been great but considering how we only have two more issues to enjoy, I'd be surprised.

NimaMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola: I know. I missed that part. Marvel just lost a reader since it was the only title of theirs on my pull list :/

jdp180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jdp180

Could they have given this book an even number of issues to end with like 12 or 14?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ms-lola said:

@nimamindtricks said:

It is.

@powerplay said:

Anyone curious if Kingpin is making an appearance soon? I am pretty sure he still runs part of the Hand. I know during the Scarlet Spider series earlier this year, it was revealed that he took over leadership of the Assassin's Guild too. I don't think Elektra knows the latter, so it would be nice thing to surprise her with. @k4tzm4n

At this point, I'd much rather see the conflict with Bullseye earn the focus of the last 2 issues. Bringing in Kingpin may feel a bit rushed or sudden, but considering what they've accomplished with this series, I'd say it would be an interesting way to wrap things up.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, this series is ending?

*darth vader voice* NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.