Follow

Elektra

Character » Elektra appears in 1191 issues.

The lethal scarlet assassin. Daredevil's most fearsome enemy as well as his former lover and most renowned as being the greatest assassin in the world.

Del Mundo On Elektra

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#1  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Newsarama: Let’s start out slow, Mike: what are you working on today? What’s on your drawing board?

Mike Del Mundo: Right now, in front of me I'm drawing a double page spread involving a giant koala/sloth/iguana hybrid and a so-called mercenary in a brawl set in a so-called island.

Nrama:Nice. We’re here today to talk about Elektra, which debuts in April. We spokewhen the book was announced, but since then there was an unfortunate circumstance that pulled Zeb Wells off the book, and Haden Blackman was brought in. What was it like for you on the inside as the artist?

Del Mundo: It was cool. You have to prepare for things like that. For me as an artist, I think I'm lucky enough to work with two amazing writers. For the short period of time I worked with Zeb, we were able to really get the initial feel of visuals and from there Haden made it a very smooth process as he was able to take a lot of my visual ideas and add that extra bit of awesome and transition it into his story. It was all gravy.

CREDIT: Marvel Comics

View full size image

Nrama: With those bumps on the road passed, how would you describe the vision you and Haden have together for the series that readers will begin to see come April?

Del Mundo: I think we want to tell a great story and at the same time, find new ways to tell that story. We're definitely on the same page in terms of figuring out cool ways to visualize the story. Like in Elektra #1 the intro scene, we have Elektra on a double page spread doing a ribbon dance which transitions into ribbons of blood. There's more happening in the scene but just an example of the angles we're going for.

Nrama: You’re best known for your cover work and doing storytelling with just one big image – what’s it like doing long-form sequential storytelling like this?

Del Mundo: It's challenging but hella fun. It's something new for me, so I'm excited to really start experimenting. Definitely a lot more work but it's a whole new way of telling a story. My main goal is to take my process with cover work and translate it into sequential form, meaning lots of cool double page spreads and stylish panel work. Haden's a huge fan of that especially with his past book runs (Batwoman) so it works so well. What's cool about sequentials too, is that you can fit different styles into the book based on the mood or the shift of the story (flashbacks, fights scenes etc) so you'll see some style shifts like cell shading to painterly etc. I'm going to attack it like a blank canvas with an artillery of various art supplies I neglected during college.

Nrama: Elektra is a very visual character, given Frank Miller’s designs and also how others have drawn her with the black and the red. What have you learned in drawing her, not just for covers, but on a repetitive basis in the panels and the pages so far?

Del Mundo: What I love about Elektra is all the different elements about her, from her red bandages to her various weaponry, to her long black hair. There’s so much room for artistic exploitation. You can breakdown panels with her ribbons or juxtapose her ribbons with blood etc. I've learned that all those elements makes for endless ideas on how tell the story creatively.

CREDIT: Marvel Comics

Nrama: What are your personal goals with Elektra, and specifically this first issue?

Del Mundo: To tell a great story visually and that gives justice to Haden's script. I want to push my myself as much as possible in figuring out ways to tell the story, whether it's how the panels are broken down or how to tell the story through colors and different drawing styles.

ELEKTRA: Martial Arts & Fine Arts with Mike Del Mundo | Newsarama.com

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#4  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

bump

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.