Is Jamie Foxx a good choice for Electro in TASM 2?

Posted by matanui123 (366 posts) - - Show Bio

#1 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, he's a solid actor. I have no problem with it.

Just tell Andrew Garfield to keep that mask on during the action and stop showing off his pretty-boy face! You're Spider-Man damn it! Be proud!

#2 Posted by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree im cool with it. He should give a little vibrato to Electro who is usually just kind of a thug.

#3 Posted by JonSmith (4007 posts) - - Show Bio

If nothing else, he'll get a jump on Marvel's Falcon for putting a black superpowered main character in their movie. Heimdall was cool, but he only had around five lines.

#4 Posted by Rumble Man (11118 posts) - - Show Bio

I want him to sing

#5 Posted by SUNMAN (7265 posts) - - Show Bio

As an actor Fox is more than capable. I have a problem with Electro being the villain though

#6 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20425 posts) - - Show Bio

I suppose it could work under the right circumstances.

#7 Posted by tg1982 (2717 posts) - - Show Bio

Jaime Foxx is a good actor so...nope, no problem at all.

#8 Posted by BlackWind (7033 posts) - - Show Bio

Foxx is a good actor. Never seen him do acrazy person like Electro.

#9 Edited by xybernauts (858 posts) - - Show Bio

So you mean no one has a problem with a black actor playing a typically white supervillain Wow. So then I guess it'd be OK if Mr. Fantastic is also cast as a black man as well in the Fantastic 4 movie? Don't get me wrong. I'm happy that people don't mind a little race swapping, but I can't determine if people are saying it's OK in general or is it just OK when the character is a villain.

#10 Posted by matanui123 (366 posts) - - Show Bio

@xybernauts said:

So you mean no one has a problem with a black actor playing a typically white supervillain Wow. So then I guess it'd be OK if Mr. Fantastic is also cast as a black man as well in the Fantastic 4 movie? Don't get me wrong. I'm happy that people don't mind a little race swapping, but I can't determine if people are saying it's OK in general or is it just OK when the character is a villain.

Thanks, I was waiting for that.

Personally when I first read the article and saw it was Electro I was revealed because do like Electro but when I saw it was probably going to be a black guy I was extremely butt mad. Simple because of what you said. After pondering it for a few minutes I calmed down because I remembered reading the Ultimate spider-man series and remember thinking that that Electro was the the blackest white man I have ever seen. If they can take the the character traits from that Electro and then apply the classic 1964 origin story I think it would turn out pretty cool story wise and effects/action wise.

#11 Posted by MrXakaRebel (12 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no problem with it, like pretty much everybody else said he's a good if not great actor. I just want to see how they write the character, I don't see him being the only villain in the movie either so I think what other villain they choose and the overall story will effect the performance as well.

#12 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1496 posts) - - Show Bio

Ehhh. I'm very iffy. But Foxx is a good actor so i'll give him a chance.

#13 Edited by xybernauts (858 posts) - - Show Bio

@matanui123 said:

@xybernauts said:

So you mean no one has a problem with a black actor playing a typically white supervillain Wow. So then I guess it'd be OK if Mr. Fantastic is also cast as a black man as well in the Fantastic 4 movie? Don't get me wrong. I'm happy that people don't mind a little race swapping, but I can't determine if people are saying it's OK in general or is it just OK when the character is a villain.

Thanks, I was waiting for that.

Personally when I first read the article and saw it was Electro I was revealed because do like Electro but when I saw it was probably going to be a black guy I was extremely butt mad. Simple because of what you said. After pondering it for a few minutes I calmed down because I remembered reading the Ultimate spider-man series and remember thinking that that Electro was the the blackest white man I have ever seen. If they can take the the character traits from that Electro and then apply the classic 1964 origin story I think it would turn out pretty cool story wise and effects/action wise.

Really? I didn't realize he was black in the Ultimate comics. I guess that's cool then. You can't really tell from the pic above.I think Jamie Foxx is a good actor so I think he'll be able to pull it off. I mean he did win an Oscar right.

#14 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8048 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Foxx isn't a good actor. So no, this is a horrible idea.

#15 Posted by xybernauts (858 posts) - - Show Bio

@BiteMe-Fanboy: Why would you say that?

#16 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8048 posts) - - Show Bio

@xybernauts said:

@BiteMe-Fanboy: Why would you say that?

Because in every movie I have seen him act in he has never impressed me. And seriously, look at every movie he has acted in and think "Could he pull off a Spider-man villain?"... No. I don't see that, at all.

#17 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't put my finger on exactly why, but he just doesn't seem like the type of actor I'd imagine portraying Electro's personality... Kinda feel the need to hope for better quality too, to make up for The Amazing Spider-man itself and Andrew Garfield's less than spectacular Spider-man.

#18 Posted by LexLuthor (101 posts) - - Show Bio

Foxx is a capable enough actor, but I find his performances uneven at best. Sometimes he's good, sometimes he comes across as phoning it in. Hopefully with Electro, it's the former, and not the latter.

#19 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

Foxx is a great actor. However, I have no problem with the casting I just dislike Electro as a choice of villain. Personally, I was hoping for Kraven or Mysterio. Ah well! Maybe next time. I'm sure it'll work out, i'm extremely excited to see how the second film will be now they've gotten past the origin story. Hopefully it will be a stronger second film like Spider-Man 2 was.

#20 Posted by matanui123 (366 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray: I agree. Now that spider man is more skilled ( all the time to practice ) the fight scenes should be more spectacular. I also would have preferred Kraven but Electro is pretty cool too I suppose.

#21 Posted by mfundo (1623 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a good actor so why not? You go Jamie! I never knew Electro was black though.

#22 Posted by matanui123 (366 posts) - - Show Bio

He wasn't black. I said he was the blackest white man. In other words he is white but he acts black.@mfundo said:

He's a good actor so why not? You go Jamie! I never knew Electro was black though.

#23 Posted by mfundo (1623 posts) - - Show Bio

@matanui123: I wasn't arguing. So if you're flaring up then cool it :D LOL

#24 Posted by Onemoreposter (4088 posts) - - Show Bio

Foxx does have some talent. I though both the soloist was pretty good. This could go either way. For some reason I see him adding to much camp to the character, but I could be wrong.

@JonSmith said:

If nothing else, he'll get a jump on Marvel's Falcon for putting a black superpowered main character in their movie. Heimdall was cool, but he only had around five lines.

I stand by my opinion that making a Norse God black was a dumb move, blatantly done for the sole purpose of adding "diversity" to the film. Literally, changing the ethnicity of any of the supporting cast BESIDE the explicitly white gods would have been buyable.

#25 Posted by JonSmith (4007 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter said:

If nothing else, he'll get a jump on Marvel's Falcon for putting a black superpowered main character in their movie. Heimdall was cool, but he only had around five lines.

I stand by my opinion that making a Norse God black was a dumb move, blatantly done for the sole purpose of adding "diversity" to the film. Literally, changing the ethnicity of any of the supporting cast BESIDE the explicitly white gods would have been buyable.

To be fair, they're a race of super advanced magical aliens. I can stand a black dude playing one of them (even if I would have preferred him as T'Challa). He did a good job in the role, limited as it was. So I've got no problem with it.

#26 Posted by BlackReaper (595 posts) - - Show Bio

I still think it's going to be too cheesy.

#27 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish he had a better villian.

#28 Posted by Onemoreposter (4088 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

@Onemoreposter said:

I stand by my opinion that making a Norse God black was a dumb move, blatantly done for the sole purpose of adding "diversity" to the film. Literally, changing the ethnicity of any of the supporting cast BESIDE the explicitly white gods would have been buyable.

To be fair, they're a race of super advanced magical aliens. I can stand a black dude playing one of them (even if I would have preferred him as T'Challa). He did a good job in the role, limited as it was. So I've got no problem with it.

Right, but from what we saw/know of Asgard, to me it seems logical that the Asgardians would be a relatively homogeneous society. They have one language, one culture, and are all situated in one relatively small area as opposed to populating an entire planet (we know this is exactly how it works in the comics, and it appeared to be the same way in the film). Did it ruin the movie? Of course not. It was still a stupid change to make without providing for other, much more wide sweeping changes to the mythos, which we may perhaps get in the sequels. If you think, Idris got the part purely because of his acting chops and not for the sake of diversifying the cast, I think you're kidding yourself.

Elba was decent at best, but I've never been particularly impressed with the guy. Like you said though, the role was small so he couldn't really be horrible or fantastic.

Definitely would not want to see him as the Black Panther. I wish Djimon Hounsou was younger. He would have been perfect.

#29 Posted by matanui123 (366 posts) - - Show Bio

@mfundo said:

@matanui123: I wasn't arguing. So if you're flaring up then cool it :D LOL

?? Why? How? When? I'm sorry but... never mind...

#30 Posted by mfundo (1623 posts) - - Show Bio

@matanui123: I just had this feeling that you were feeling... I don't know. At least we know that I'm not empathic.

#31 Posted by Joygirl (20135 posts) - - Show Bio

Wondering why everyone is claiming that Foxx is so great... I've seen him a few times and he is alright, not great. He was good in Ray and the one movie where he was autistic, but I've seen him kinda suck as well. I don't really care one way or another, he is not a selling point for me. I'm sure he'll be fine.

#32 Posted by matanui123 (366 posts) - - Show Bio

@mfundo:

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.