Set Chronology

#1 Posted by Killemall (18639 posts) - - Show Bio

Elder Gods of marvel are very lesser known by most people in comicvine from my limited experience here,specially in battle thread. Therefore i am attempting to put in a thread that talks about various elder gods, and since i have read virtually all official publication on Set (I however have NOT read all appearances of Serpent Crown, just issue where Set himself has appeared) i am trying to draw out the thread.

Lets start, a publication history of the badass Serpent God

Marvel Handbook 1986: Just a generic origin of Elder Gods

Marvel Team Up, Volume 1, Issue 05: Dr. Strange does some research and explains the origin of Set to Spiderman

Thor Annual 10: We actually see the origin of Demiurge, then elder gods, then Gaea calling Demiurge on earth, mating with him and birth of Atum, the biggest and baddest of the elder gods, and how he drove away the elder gods from Earth

Iron Man Annual 10: So once Set has been driven away from Earth by Atum, Set at this time still has ability to manifest on Earth as he wishes. He takes a good interest on Dinosaurs, feeding upon their energy. Gaea dislikes this, and knowing how Dinosaurs were violent by nature Gaea decide to pay more attention towards mammals thereby letting Dinosaurs slowly die out. Set disliked this so he affected Dinosaurs into haunting and killing the mammals. Gaea angered by this called Set on earth, Set however for millions of years have been absorbing energies from the Dinosaurs, making him massively powerful. Not knowing what to do once Set showed up on Earth, Gaea decide to call her kick ass son, Atum the badass on earth. Atum came to earth fought Set, the fight lasted for a very long time, although how long it lasted is unknown, and finally defeated Set. Set had to use so much of energy and was so weakened after the fight with Atum that from this point onward he could no longer come to earth on his own accord, and needed help. Also bonus apparently Dinosaurs were wiped out of the energy because of the fight between Set and Atum.

Marvel Handbook 1989 attests the fact that their fight indeed lasted very long, it also attests that Set after this fight was so weakened he could no longer come to earth

Marvel Handbook 1989 also attests that Set was indeed amped from the dinosaurs for millions of years

Marvel Zombie handbook 2007, further attests to the fact that Set was amped

The first story arc, according to chronology of Serpent facing Heroes is Serpent Rising, 1982. Here is the details of what happened during the story.

Marvel Team Up , Volume 1, Issue 05: Serpent Crown possesses Quasar

Agatha Harkness shows Wanda an image of Set in all his astral glory, and you can see him circling multiple planets, he is indeed big.

Scarlet Witch fight Serpent enhanced Quasar and gets stomped

777 Serpent crown is brought together, and those serpent is then used to bring together <possibly> all other serpent crown from the multiverse. These crown are merged together forming a kick ass huge crown as a vessel for Set to physically manifest on earth

While heroes (Stingray, Dr. Strange, The Thing , Quasar and Wanda) are helpless against the giant crown, Spiderman managed to find a CCU, uses that with help of Dr. Strange, Thing and Wanda to destroy the crown first, then banish Set

Marvel Handbook 1989 confirms that Set was vastly more powerful than Scarlet Witch, but hey i guess we already knew that

Marvel Handbook 1989 confirms that cosmic cube did in fact, reduce the giant crown into metallic dust

Marvel Zombie Handbook 2007 states that it is still unclear whether Serpent can actually be killed, sort of explains why Dr. Strange with a cosmic cube didnt outright kill Set but used it to banish Set.

However thing to note is that there is a big possibility Set was amped in this encounter.

Firstly, we know 777 crown + other crown called from the multiverse were used to fused together and wake up Set

All these crowns might not be Set own power but powers of various Set across the multiverse.

Marvel has intentionally let it vague let try to document what Marvel has established so far:

Marvel Handbook 1989 states that its unclear whether each of the realities has its own Set, or whether there is only one Set in the multiverse

We know one of the crown was from Earth 712, Marvel Zombie handbook leaves it unclear whether this is a power of a seperate Set from Earth 712, as it reads "Directed by Set (or perhaps his Earth 712 counterpart)

Furthermore Marvel Zombie Handbook 2007 also goes on to say "Some sources describe Set as being unique to the multiverse, but other sources show an individual Set in various alternate realities".

With a closer inspection it looks odd. Either this is a PIS or Set was amped, because look at it this way, one encounter potray him being more powerful than a cosmic cube, yet we have Atum, whose powers were that of a sun, beats him just fine despite being amped , and later he beats him rather handily even in his own dimension.

So its whatever one wants to believe.

Next we hear of Set during Atlantis Rising story arc, where Gaur taps in the power of celestial, this power is then tapped by Set to break himself free from the prision Dr. Strange with cosmic cube sealed him to. By manipulating Atalantian he is trying to manifest on Earth.

Thor Annual 14: Upon hearing that Atlantians are trying to Set Serpent free, with the help of Gaur, Thor, Thing, Quasar and Dr. Strange decide to confront Set in his own dimension before Set can reach ours, in order to prevent destruction on Earth, frankly a dumb technique to go fight an elder god in his own dimension.

As expected, all heroes are completely, utterly helpless do anything against Set, they cant even hurt him.

Thor decides to leave the fight, and teleport away to ask Gaea for help, however Gaea says she cant help him

Since Gaea said she cant help, Thor teleports to Atum's realm realm, asks him for help. Atum refuses because he doesnt want to turn into his god eater form because that begets hunger and turn him into a killer which he doesnt want. Thor attack Atum, making him mad, Atum angered turns God Eater and consumed Thor's soul. Thor however is able to take control of Atum's body for a short time, he teleports to Set dimension, fight and rips Set 7 heads out and sent its to 7 alternate realities across the multiverse.

Fantastic Four Annual 22 confirms that Atum did rip Set heads out and send it to alternate dimensions

Marvel handbook 1989 helps us back up few stuffs and fill in few gaps.

It states that the reason Gaea could not help Thor was because Set had grown so powerful that he imprisioned Gaea with his magic.

It confirms that Set absorbed most of the Ghaur's remaining celestial power and expended it all in breaking Strange's spell that kept him in exile from Earth.

It provides further confirmation that Set body was indeed torn apart and thrown across various dimensions in the multiverse

It also states that once Set was defeated ,or should i say pwned :p , by Atum, Gaea was set free from her prision

The next we saw from Set was during Secret Histories story arc, which was a part of a bigger crossover called The Heroic Age.

Secret Avengers 03: Serpent Crown takes control of Nova Prime who stomps Valkarie, but i suppose its redudant, Nova already has more than enough power to stomp Valkarie

Nova then creates Oxygen on Mars, but turns out Mars a long time ago had oxygen and a whole civilization and Serpent power allows him to restore something to its formal state

Apparently has a nameless father, some wiki seem to call it Abyss, older than Galactus and Celestial, however apart from description never seen on panel, and doesnt this directly contradict the established history of his father being Demiurge

Nova stomps Archon

Secret Avengers 04: In order to free Nova from Set's control, world mind agrees to give Steve Rodgers (Captain America) full power of the Nova Corps. Steve then confronts Nova with Set's power. In the meanwhile, Ant Man goes to the vanishing point and destroys it, this destroys Set's link to the earth, weakening his control over Nova and allows Steve to rip the crown out of Nova's head.

Morals of the story, it matters little if you are a god, or an elder god, Steve Rogers gets super powers, things always fall into place and you get your ass kicked.

Other stuffs from Set, that might not directly be related to his chronology.

Uncanny X-men Avengers 13: Parts of Serpent Saga, we also see Celestials pwning Serpent people, yet Set himself doesnt even plan a retribution, perhaps Celestials are too powerful for him, perhaps he doesnt give a sh*t.

Spectacular Spiderman Annual 09: Neptun destroys his statue, harmed Set greatly, this angers Set , he plans a revenge, but never takes once. Poor Set.

Marvel Handbook 1989 confirms that Neptune greatly harmed Set and Set was angry

Fantastic Four Annual 22: Utau retails Serpent saga to Gaea.

Thor Annual Vol 1, 14:More retailing of Serpent Saga

Thats all i have got.

@CadenceV2: Set thread is up if you are interested.

#2 Posted by cosmic_reign (345 posts) - - Show Bio

Great summary of Set's history and power level. I myself always thought the Elder gods were overrated in these battle forums.

Although i find the history of these gods to be very interesting.

I thought for sure the Elder gods would be leagues above skyfathers...but Neptune, aka Poseidon, proved otherwise. And Poseidon is <or= to Zeus in power.

Further, seing how Set had to amp himself with a mere fraction of Celestial power was enough to break mystical spells that he could not break with his own power. (this is great info to use in battle threads vs cosmics).

IMO the Elder gods' influence is a lot more effective than their own physical power. I feel that influencing an already powerful mutant or mystical being may give better feats to that avatar (ie Wanda etc), thus making the Elder god seem more powerful than it may actually be.

GOOD STUFF!!!

#3 Posted by dondave (38632 posts) - - Show Bio

Great Thread

#4 Posted by Killemall (18639 posts) - - Show Bio

@cosmic_reign: Thanks, although Wanda feats before HOM , which was due to Chthon's power isnt anywhere close to the power level we have seen Chthon himself perform. Her feat that stands out is from HOM story arc, however it was revealed during Avengers: Childern Crusade, that during HOM Wanda was tapping into a source of limitless power called Life Entity and going by Doom's description it was more powerful than Pre Retcon Beyonder. This was later re-affired recently during Uncanny Avengers 03 (2013) where when asked by Red Skull, Wanda says she is still capable of pulling off a feat of magnitude similar to HOM provided she gets to tap into big enough power source as she was doing then.

@dondave: Thanks :) I am doing on a Chthon in a couple of days.

#5 Posted by cosmic_reign (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall said:

@cosmic_reign: Thanks, although Wanda feats before HOM , which was due to Chthon's power isnt anywhere close to the power level we have seen Chthon himself perform. Her feat that stands out is from HOM story arc, however it was revealed during Avengers: Childern Crusade, that during HOM Wanda was tapping into a source of limitless power called Life Entity and going by Doom's description it was more powerful than Pre Retcon Beyonder. This was later re-affired recently during Uncanny Avengers 03 (2013) where when asked by Red Skull, Wanda says she is still capable of pulling off a feat of magnitude similar to HOM provided she gets to tap into big enough power source as she was doing then.

Okay gotcha....I guess that would makes a lil more sense explaining Wandas freakish feats. Good $h*t either way.

#6 Posted by hyperbeing (382 posts) - - Show Bio

seriously more powerful then prerecton beyonder pretty interesting though i hate how marvel contantly have this character that is omnipotent and then have him or her weaker then the next guy . i mean they decribe the pre recton beyonder as the most powerful being in existant and now they bring in the life entity.

anyway cool thread

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.