undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

The wonderful thing about these Edge of Spider-Verse one-shots is that, since they established that not all of them end with recruitment by SpOck: they are free to introduce characters who are bizarre, completely different takes on the Spidey archetype (or totem, if you prefer) and they aren’t required to do any follow-up or plan a “larger” story. That’s definitely been the case here, where we’re introduced to Patton Parnel, whose alliteration may be familiar but little else is. He’s a detached, likely sociopathic loner with an abusive uncle who gets bitten by a radioactive spider. But the transformation he undergoes is far, far more twisted and horrifying than the ones that made Puny Parker into a hero. Clay McLeod Chapman seems to be channeling the old EC publisher, known for its darker more depraved subject matters (also the main target, unfairly, of the Comics Code) and this very well reads like the most messy TWILIGHT ZONE (or somewhat standard TALES FROM THE CRYPT story) ever written, complete with narration that could almost be Rod Serling in places. In this case it’s a good thing that we’re spending so little time with this character as you wind up just hating him and just about everyone around him (with the exception of Sara Jane) out of the gate, and I’m not sure how much of them I could take. The appearance of the, let’s say, catalyst for the ending actually comes as a strange relief AND he fits the tone of the comic, even if he is a little dapper for it. We’re then...let’s say “treated” to one of the most bizarre, terrifying endings I’ve read in a very, very long time.

Elia Bonetti does a great job of evoking the style of those old-timey horror comics while still bringing a very modern sensibility to the surroundings. This a very realistically drawn comic, which amplifies both the characters’ drama and their inner-turmoil as well as their grim darkness. Veronica Gandini is a big part of evoking this tone with a color palette that’s plain, but not boring and that’s an important distinction. This is clearly a comic trying to “occur” in a semi-real world, so the proportions, action, and colors aren’t over-the-top nor fantastical, but that helps to ground it and make the events even more impactful.

The Bad

The frustrating thing about these Edge of Spider-Verse one-shots is that, since they established...wait, I feel like we’ve been here before, have we been here before? That’s right: the nature of these issue is both great and...less-than-great, let’s say. While these characters are lost causes, it feels like this issue ends just as it was getting started. And while there’s a cliffhanger (and I really can’t emphasize how gut-churning it is) at the end, it’s not one that they’re likely to actually continue.

The art generally works and looks great, but there are a few panels where the characters, and especially their facial expressions, look flat in terms of both dimensions and expressions. It’s rare, but happens enough to point out.

The Verdict

This doesn’t add much to the “mythos” nor build of SPIDER-VERSE, but that’s not really what it’s here for. It’s here to be a single serving of another take on the Spidey we all know and love (and in this case: are glad we don’t know and probably kinda hate). I especially got a little fanboy glee when the climax of the issue was revealed and just flat-out loved the horror comic aesthetic of the rest of the issue. Whether or not you’re interested in the overall event, this is worth checking out if you want a solid one-shot horror comic.

Avatar image for Oreoassassin421
    OreoAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome review!

Can someone tell me this "gut-churning" ending ive been hearing about? Thanks!

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
    SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I really hope they pick up this story from where it left off(mini series or something) I really really enjoyed this issue!!!

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SmashBrawler

I'm pretty surprised how far this issue went with the graphic imagery. Granted, it wasn't that bad but still pretty disturbing for a Spider-Man comic book.

Anyway, overall this was pretty good (and creepy) issue and definitely much, much better than last month's story.

Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Awesome review!

Can someone tell me this "gut-churning" ending ive been hearing about? Thanks!

It's something that has to be seen and read rather than spoiled. It makes it that much stronger, especially since a person telling it may not have the same gut-churning effect. But, it's in the spoiler block below if you want to see.

That universe's Mary Jane, Sara Jane, had a spider egg planted into her neck when Patton, that universe's Peter, bit her neck, and at the end it hatched and she had hundred of tiny spiders coming out and crawling over her face. This happened shortly after the final confrontation in Patton's room, where he had all his victims in web cocoons and in bad shape - if not dead. Then Morlun killed him.

Avatar image for Oreoassassin421
    OreoAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OreoAssassin

@rixec: :O Im deffff getting it now! thanks!

Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

@rixec: :O Im deffff getting it now! thanks!

Glad I could be of help. It really is a fantastic issue.

Blackice709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yoooo this was crazy!

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Wow...this was on disturbing SpiderMan. Still a okay issue.

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
    medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was actually interesting. Can't wait to see the next issue.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
    TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey
    PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
    TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BHouwens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Intense issue. Loved the idea of an evil, serial killer-ey Spider-Man and how his appearance kind of reflects his personality, as does his need to feed.

Would've actually been really keen to see how he'd be integrated with the rest of the Spider-Men and their relatively normal personalities later on, assuming he survived.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
    SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@punyparker: Get it? H esaid Puny Parker, so i mentioned you.......i`m hilarious.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My brother's reactiopn "Burn it, send it to hell!"

OH MY GOSH this was a creepy story and there should be a warning on it so little kids don't buy it and get nightmares.

Dragonbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mind you, even ASM got occasionally creepy. Anyone remember this cover?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

This issue was f**kin crazy.

eliabonetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks! Great review,very accurate.

Armaghetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was soooo awesome! Reminded me of the old 70s horror comics and that ain't not bad.

Kanen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved how dark and gory this issue was and great review and although I didn't necessarily agree with every point you made I understood where you were coming from

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just praying to god he doesn't turn into a giant spider when I get this issue.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UGH! I want this to be a mini-series so bad!!! Like archie after life

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

This issue was soooo awesome! Reminded me of the old 70s horror comics and that ain't not bad.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.