Off My Mind: Is Eddie Brock Better as a Hero or Villain?

• 84 results
#51 Posted by daikari (76 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that he is good as both. The best way that could happen would just for him to be an anti-hero

#52 Posted by Dedpool (369 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Anti-Venom. I do agree he gets wrtten as childish lately, but his earlier appearances were gold. I really think that with Flash being Venom, and a government agent, Brock being Anti-Venom is the right move, but they need to flesh out his motivations more. Really touch on the fact that the symbiote drove him insane with it's hatred for Spidey and that he really always wanted to eb the hero. He's now just to fargone to be the clean handed kind and has to be the dark Spiderman that is vengeful notFriendly Neighborhood.
#53 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

For me Eddie Brock will always be the best as his true Venom persona. Everything else is just silly in my opinion.

#54 Posted by Manchine (4185 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally Venom is always a villain.  Antivenom is just like Bizzaro Superman its nice for a short time but no way is it good for the long haul.
#55 Posted by nadral (20 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always thought Eddie as a hero/anti-hero made a lot of sense. His motivations as a villain were never quite that strong, and were mostly fueled by an insane alien parasite that made him constantly angry. Eddie Brock doesn't have an internal motivation to be evil anymore. As time passes, so do the wounds that led to his being evil as Venom. Also, the anti-venom shtick is excellent. Venom as an anti-hero was all about him not succumbing to killer impulses caused by Venom, and how he didn't want to be that guy anymore. Anti-Venom is just the next step in that arc, in my opinion.

#56 Posted by marvelunivers_deleteme (315 posts) - - Show Bio

Eddie will be venom again remember one day they are going to have a spiderman movie with venom agai one day and there is the opportunity of eddie bein venom again

#57 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is it always "Blah Blah Blah villains" on comicvine?

#58 Posted by lostlantern13 (860 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123: Great response.

My only issue with Anti-Venom is the name. Change the name and I'd be happy.
#59 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio
@lostlantern13 said:
@InnerVenom123: Great response.   My only issue with Anti-Venom is the name. Change the name and I'd be happy.
Thank you. 

That's the beauty of it though. He's Eddie Brock. This is the guy who had a mini-series about being in a skateboard competition. He thinks its the coolest name possible and he couldn't understand why anyone would ever question it. 
#60 Posted by Migz13 (170 posts) - - Show Bio

I never got to follow Eddie's escapades as Venom (or Anti-Venom for that matter) but I did have one issue of him battling the notorious "Sin-Eater", and through that single issue I get to see how much of a brutal badass Eddie can be without fully becoming a villain. I say Eddie is great at being a little bit of both. A vengeful creature with his heart still in the right place.

#61 Edited by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

By my own judgement, he is a good man who has had a troubled life. Definitely a hero deep down.

I would read an Anti-Venom ongoing by a good team.

#62 Posted by Erik (33329 posts) - - Show Bio
@kfhrfdu_89_76k said:
@erik:   I do. (Nyah nyah.)  I like him as both. But more as the darker version of Spidey. 
JOKE RUINER!!
#63 Posted by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a villain and a villain he should remain.

#64 Posted by Emperormeister734 (827 posts) - - Show Bio

I seem as hero but strays from the path to being a Anti-Hero, plus what would be the point of calling him Anti-Venom 

#65 Posted by The Stegman (25457 posts) - - Show Bio

the anti venom costume looks BADASS

#66 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Stegman said:
the anti venom costume looks BADASS
Disagree. It looks like Venom is trying to fight his hollow form for control of Zangetsu.
#67 Posted by The Stegman (25457 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg:  

Disagree. It looks like Venom is trying to fight his hollow form for control of Zangetsu.

...and what part of that is a bad thing??
#68 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Stegman said:
@fodigg:  

Disagree. It looks like Venom is trying to fight his hollow form for control of Zangetsu.

...and what part of that is a bad thing??
Well played. 

#69 Posted by Fenrir085 (22 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know about him being a hero, I'm used to him being a villain. Becoming a Hero from a villain is a big change for some, I'll just have to see how it plays out.

#70 Posted by The Hobgoblin (414 posts) - - Show Bio

I definitely miss Eddie as ol' Venom. Gargan never took for me and Flash has taken the Venom concept in a whole new direction; one I am not all that crazy about. I find it odd how those two have taken the Venom concept and made it into a more heroic thing of sorts. Good villains are hard to come by these days, and in order to get two new, less than stellar heroes, we had to lose one of the most significant villains in the past 20-25 years in the Spidey books.

#71 Posted by info nation (868 posts) - - Show Bio
@thesilverbeatle: So do I.
#72 Edited by The_Peter_Cosmic (401 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Eddie in his new role. Marvel had tried to make him cool again since I was a little kid and this is really the first great development in the character since the 90's. He is a brutal character, too. In New Ways to Live he ended up slaughtering that drug cartel and talking about how he was going to try to do better (as in not murdering criminals) from then on. I think that's a great way to handle him. He wants to be a hero so he isn't going to be constantly brutal, but sometimes his rage gets the best of him and he ends up turning the scene into a blood bath.

#73 Edited by SpidermanWins (3982 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always wanted him to be a hero. I love what they are doing with him personally. He is still violent and a little viscous but that's why we, as fans, love him right? He is a hero, just a violent one with a dark past (kinda like Wolverine they need a team up series ASAP!). He's a great story of redemption and winning a war with your own inner demons. 

#74 Posted by labarith (670 posts) - - Show Bio

Anti-Venom is, more or less, Spiderman's Punisher (which is odd, since Punisher is also Spiderman's Punisher)... that is to say he's trying to do right, but he's "doing bad" (is the Punisher doing bad?  Eh... another day). 

Long story short - Anti-Venom/Brock is just as crazy as ever and when he's fighting bad guys... cool.  Too bad it is equivalent of giving a kid a gun and leaving him in Mexico.  Even if the kid shoots some of the right guys, it's gonna hurt and he'll probably kill some of the wrong ones too. 

#75 Posted by Cervantes (634 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone remember the "Spider-Man vs. Venom" trade? Way back when that was my first exposure to Venom, and it was AWE-SOME! 

Usually, heroes fight villains that are even matches in a boxing duel, but always slightly less powerful. But VENOM was truly frightening! Since we were so deep in fandom with Peter Parker, it created visceral fear whenever Venom showed up, knowing that VENOM was: 

Eddie Brock, a big, buff dude (NOT a "That '70's Show: castmember) who could probably whup Flash Thompson, let alone Puny Parker...  

The Symbiote, embodying all Spider-Man's powers - except the webs were practically perpetual... 

A VILLAIN SPIDER SENSE COULD NOT DETECT, since he was once a  "part of him..." 

Even his motive was creepy, twisted neo-romance that made your skin crawl - the Symbiote hated Peter for "rejecting it" eeegg... 

But then they destroyed the McFarlane design in favor of the ginormous tongued fatsuit mockery! 

In short, Venom is destroyed, so we might as well keep him Anti-Venom, but what a loss!
#76 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12334 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCerealKillz said:
InnerVenom just slaughtered this article, lmao.

Dam straight.
#77 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12334 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
" Eddie seems like a wuss." 

How? Because he threw someone in a river? He's trying not to be a serial killer lunatic anymore. That's the entire point. He wants to be a hero. 

It doesn't seem like the Eddie you read about? You kidding? He always said he was good guy. Even as Venom. The reason he was busting heads was because he had a homicidal alien messing around in his brain. And as Anti-Venom, he's still violent a lot of the time. Because he's Eddie Brock, and that's what he got used to doing. Not ripping guys in half all the time doesn't mean he's a wuss. 

The entire point of "saving a junkie" (who has a name, and a page on CV by the way, Jenna Cole) was to illustrate how Eddie has changed. As Venom, he could only see the bad qualities in good people (Spider-man). As Anti-Venom, he could only see the good qualities in bad (or shady) people, like Jenna.  

There's nothing wrong with Anti-Venom/Eddie Brock as of now.  

" Where is the harsh-talking Eddie Brock we used to have? He's been around for too long to be reduced to this need-for-redemption state. I want to see him get raw on his enemies. " 

And you just posted the picture of him shrugging off the option of TEARING OFF SOMEONE'S HEAD as "details" next to that statement. 

How? Tell me. Tell me HOW IS THIS NOT VICIOUS?!
You need to re-read Anti-Venom's appearances if you think he's soft. 

This is a panel STRAIGHT out of the 90s.

Oh and by the way, these pics (minus the first big scan)? All found in Eddie's image gallery. I didn't have to quest for the holy grail to know that Eddie Brock's not a wuss as Anti-Venom. SMH.

Now thats the InnerVenom we all know and love! Thanks dude :) I was gonna address that issue till I saw this.
#78 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@labarith said:
Anti-Venom is, more or less, Spiderman's Punisher (which is odd, since Punisher is also Spiderman's Punisher)... that is to say he's trying to do right, but he's "doing bad" (is the Punisher doing bad?  Eh... another day).  Long story short - Anti-Venom/Brock is just as crazy as ever and when he's fighting bad guys... cool.  Too bad it is equivalent of giving a kid a gun and leaving him in Mexico.  Even if the kid shoots some of the right guys, it's gonna hurt and he'll probably kill some of the wrong ones too. 
I can see the punisher comparison, but Eddie doesn't kill, does he?  I could be wrong about that, but I thought he doesn't...

Another difference, in my opinion, is that I think Eddie is actually a little insane.  I think the Punisher is completely aware of what he's doing, and has a strong grip on reality.  He just sees it as right.  Nonetheless, I think your comparison is a good one...
#79 Posted by GT-Man (4054 posts) - - Show Bio

To me Eddie Brock will always be the first Venom villian and a Badazz One at times with a good heart when need be
#80 Posted by GT-Man (4054 posts) - - Show Bio

Being tossed into a river would be scary as hell! :O
#81 Posted by Symbiocide (77 posts) - - Show Bio

Eddie should always be a guy with a permenant chip on his shoulder. He doesn't need to be a villain exactly; I mean really, obsessing over Spider-Man will get old if it hasn't yet. Eddie believes himself to be destined to do good things. Having him swing around the city gleefully trying to be a good hero is funny for some and very entertaining for others, but also comes off idiotic to others. I personally prefer an Anti-Venom or a Eddie as Venom character who isn't even trying to be a hero. He's just a pissed off guy looking for an excuse to rip someone. 

I remember in Venom: The Hunger how out of pure spite, not because he was trying to be a defender, just out of spite, Eddie wlaks into a biker bar and purposely starts a fight with a bike gang so he had an "excuse" to kill them all when they attacked him. This is how I would write Eddie Brock, Anti-Venom or Venom. He still regards innocents just enough to never target them, but he has no intention of going out on patrol just to save people. Instead, he'd go out to find "bad guys" just so he has a reason to spill some blood. In theory, this would be him keeping the streets "safe", but also this would keep him different from Punisher. Frank does it for a reason. He intentionally wants to save innocent lives by killing the criminals. Eddie just does it for sh?ts and giggles. Like Cody from Street Fighter/Final Fight. 

This will keep Eddie at odds with Spider-Man. While he may stop pursuing Spider-Man as a villain, Spidey would never let Eddie go on doing what he's been doing, so the two will have many chances to still cross paths and come to deadly blows. That way we keep the antagonistic relationship of the two with Eddie going back to just being the same old "We hate Spider-Man" crap. And when they do need to work together, they can since, while their styles and reasonings are polar opposites, they are still on the same side. 

The only thing I really wish of Anti-Venom, though, is that they go back to having Eddie communicate with his symbiote. He never refers to himself as we or us anymore. He never talks with his symbiote or argues with it. Its just so lifeless...All the other symbiotes still have this dynamic of a human host talking with their symbiotes., Toxin, Scorn, Gargan and Flash Venom, even Carnage now, and Carnage (except for maybe once) NEVER referred to themselves in the plural. I miss Eddie having a costume that was in a small part its own character. There's no dynamic of Anti-Venom being two characters co-existing as one. That was a huge appeal to me with Venom in the first place.
#82 Posted by HumanX (161 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123: I am in total agreement with you. The Anti Venom development is simply taking a beloved character whom I've liked since I was a child and moved him on to the next step of development. 
I completely agree that Eddie was always trying to be a hero and the alien was simply messing with his self destructive brain. 
Long live Anti Venom!
#83 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like him now as a anti-hero. 

#84 Posted by TheCannon (19201 posts) - - Show Bio

Villain by far.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.