Follow

Eddie Brock

Character » Eddie Brock appears in 1060 issues.

Eddie Brock bonded with the dark alien symbiote after it was discarded by Spider-Man, becoming the first Venom. Later, Brock became Anti-Venom, but the symbiote was lost during the events of Spider-Island. Brock has also been forcibly bonded to the Toxin Symbiote by the Crime-Master, but has reluctantly given it up to stop Carnage. Recently he has re-bonded with Venom.

Off My Mind: Is Eddie Brock Better as a Hero or Villain?

• 83 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Spider-Man has always had a colorful gallery of villains. While formidable, none, save Norman Osborn, really proved to be deadly. Most had cool designs but they never really gave Spider-Man too much of a fight. But then came along Eddie Brock.

Eddie first appeared as a newspaper reporter. He might have been a bit of a jerk but that didn't make him a Spider-Man villain. Eddie Brock got a tip as to who the Sin Eater was. Running the story was big for his career. When Spider-Man captured the true Sin Eater and Eddie was fired for writing a false story, his hatred for Spider-Man began.

No Caption Provided

Contemplating ending it all, the alien symbiote suit found him, they joined and Venom was born. Armed with Spider-Man's powers and knowing his secret identity, Eddie became a deadly enemy. Constantly threatening to eat Spider-Man's brains, there was no limit to what Eddie would do as Venom. Up until he decided to become a lethal protector and moved away from being a pure villain. Now as Anti-Venom, Eddie is adamant that he wants to be a hero. Is this the best move for the character?

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

The reality is, when villains become overly popular, the common practice is to turn them into a hero or anti-hero. Whether it's the fans or the publishers, the idea of a deadly insane killer having their own comic or miniseries is something we don't usually see.

Sometimes villains can successfully be turned good without the character completely losing their identity like Magneto or Emma Frost. Other times they simply revert back to their dark ways like Sabretooth or Sandman. The premise of the Thunderbolts is villains become heroes. Eddie Brock/Venom as a hero just never felt right.

The name Anti-Venom may not be the best but Eddie's new look and powers have potential. Eddie just hasn't been cool since he turned into a hero. There are benefits such as more exposure. I mentioned villains not being able to or allowed to carry their own books. This means they're limited to their appearances as the villain fighting a hero in the hero's book.

We all know the hero always wins and so the villain ends up looking like a chump. If a villain continued to pop into different styles, they lose their charm. Being defeated in battle after battle makes them look bad.

Seeing Eddie talk about trying to be a hero, even though he's been claiming to want to be one for years, still doesn't sound right. He almost sounds silly and juvenile claiming to have the desire to fight the real bad guys. This isn't the Eddie Brock I knew and enjoyed. Eddie needs to regain that deadly edge he once had. I'm not saying he needs to start trying to eat people's brains again but what it comes down to is, Eddie seems like a wuss.

No Caption Provided

I know I can't be the only one that wants to see Eddie simply cut loose again. In Amazing Spider-Man #663, he's chasing a drug dealer trying to find Mr. Negative. After he can't get information out of him, he simply tosses him in the river. Ooooh, real scary Mr. Brock. I'm not saying he should rip off his head or anything but throwing someone into the water isn't that big of a deal, even if the guy didn't have a towel to dry off afterwards.

The solution Marvel will most likely stick to is continue to make him an anti-hero. He could be a cold vigilante like Punisher and unleash his violent ways on the scum of the Earth. The execution of this still needs work.

In his recent miniseries, Anti-Venom: New Ways to Live, Eddie trying to save a junkie felt absurd. It's important for a character to have a human side so we can relate to them easier, especially when they're tearing their enemies apart. Eddie needs to return to his darker roots. He doesn't have to be a pure villain since they often come across as one-dimensional. Let's see a less child-like Eddie use his new powers to tear apart his enemies. Harping on about wanting to be taken seriously and not have people think he's crazy makes him sound...crazy.

No Caption Provided

I don't want Eddie necessarily to become a full-on villain again. That reduces him to villain-of-the-month appearances. It's great that he wants to do the right thing but the way he says it makes him sound too childish. Where is the harsh-talking Eddie Brock we used to have? He's been around for too long to be reduced to this need-for-redemption state. I want to see him get raw on his enemies. We don't need a touchy-feely Eddie Brock. We need something closer to what he once was.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NightFang3

I like him as a little of both.

Avatar image for thesilverbeatle
    thesilverbeatle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By thesilverbeatle

@NightFang said:

I definitely agree with that

Avatar image for dementedtheclown
    dementedtheclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dementedtheclown

I loved the team up in Spiderman Ultimate Carnage Game. He makes a great anti-hero while fighting off the deadly venom.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By InnerVenom123

" Eddie seems like a wuss." 

How? Because he threw someone in a river? He's trying not to be a serial killer lunatic anymore. That's the entire point. He wants to be a hero. 

It doesn't seem like the Eddie you read about? You kidding? He always said he was good guy. Even as Venom. The reason he was busting heads was because he had a homicidal alien messing around in his brain. And as Anti-Venom, he's still violent a lot of the time. Because he's Eddie Brock, and that's what he got used to doing. Not ripping guys in half all the time doesn't mean he's a wuss. 

The entire point of "saving a junkie" (who has a name, and a page on CV by the way, Jenna Cole) was to illustrate how Eddie has changed. As Venom, he could only see the bad qualities in good people (Spider-man). As Anti-Venom, he could only see the good qualities in bad (or shady) people, like Jenna.  

There's nothing wrong with Anti-Venom/Eddie Brock as of now.  

" Where is the harsh-talking Eddie Brock we used to have? He's been around for too long to be reduced to this need-for-redemption state. I want to see him get raw on his enemies. " 

And you just posted the picture of him shrugging off the option of TEARING OFF SOMEONE'S HEAD as "details" next to that statement. 

How? Tell me. Tell me HOW IS THIS NOT VICIOUS?!  
    You need to re-read Anti-Venom's appearances if you think he's soft. 

This is a panel STRAIGHT out of the 90s. 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Oh and by the way, these pics (minus the first big scan)? All found in Eddie's image gallery. I didn't have to quest for the holy grail to know that Eddie Brock's not a wuss as Anti-Venom. SMH.
    Oh and by the way, these pics (minus the first big scan)? All found in Eddie's image gallery. I didn't have to quest for the holy grail to know that Eddie Brock's not a wuss as Anti-Venom. SMH.
    UnosInfinitos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By UnosInfinitos

I think the problem with pure bred villain book is that people don't like seeing selfish people get their way, that's the whole point of giving villains redeeming qualities. Like Lex Luthor desire to be seen by the world in positive light, The Joker's humor and goofy/sexy sidekick Harley and evil Doctor Light's lameness.
    Because as we seen with anti-heroes like Punisher people don't care if their heroes are murdering psychopaths, ironic considering the saying "actions speak louder than words" . As long as the hero has a reason to his/her rhyme and that reason isn't selfish everything ready to set sail.

FNspiderdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FNspiderdan

@InnerVenom123 
     thank you for saving me time. i was going to say and do all of that hahaa

TheCerealKillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheCerealKillz

InnerVenom just slaughtered this article, lmao.

Man of Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Man of Lengend
    @TheCerealKillz said:
    indeed
    batmarcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By batmarcus

I don't think of him as a hero he's an anti-hero and personally I like him more as Anti-Venom then as Venom (sorry Eddie/Venom fans its an opinion.)

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Eyz

I'm sort of used to Eddie being an anti-hero. 
    As in, a hero most of the time,
    but still wanting to eat Pete's brains. :D

@InnerVenom123 said:

How? Because he threw someone in a river? He's trying not to be a serial killer lunatic anymore. That's the entire point. He wants to be a hero. 

It doesn't seem like the Eddie you read about? You kidding? He always said he was good guy. Even as Venom. The reason he was busting heads was because he had a homicidal alien messing around in his brain. And as Anti-Venom, he's still violent a lot of the time. Because he's Eddie Brock, and that's what he got used to doing. Not ripping guys in half all the time doesn't mean he's a wuss. 

The entire point of "saving a junkie" (who has a name, and a page on CV by the way, Jenna Cole) was to illustrate how Eddie has changed. As Venom, he could only see the bad qualities in good people (Spider-man). As Anti-Venom, he could only see the good qualities in bad (or shady) people, like Jenna.  

" Where is the harsh-talking Eddie Brock we used to have? He's been around for too long to be reduced to this need-for-redemption state. I want to see him get raw on his enemies. " 

And you just posted the picture of him shrugging off the option of TEARING OFF SOMEONE'S HEAD as "details" next to that statement. 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

He says/screams ENOUGH!!! a lot though, no? :P
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Eyz: He only said "ENOUGH" one time. How is that "a lot"??? 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d6179a9df861
    deactivated-5d6179a9df861

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I for one enjoy him being Anti-Venom and think he should stay that way now. Flash as Venom on the other hand, I'm not that sure yet.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @pulseangel666 said:
    I for one enjoy him being Anti-Venom and think he should stay that way now. Flash as Venom on the other hand, I'm not that sure yet.

How about now? 
     How about now? 
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By DH69

im likin eddie the way he is now the anti-venom look is great, but his personality is really getting annoying nowadays he's always goin"drugs are bad, im hear to heal people of their sickness'" and its gettin real old real fast. 

we get it you had an addiction, and got cancer, Shut up at fight crime, don't ***** about it.

jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jubilee042

what in the world is an anti venom

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6179a9df861
    deactivated-5d6179a9df861

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jubilee042 said:

what in the world is an anti venom

In the comics, Eddie Brocks new alias, as a hero, in real life, something you give to people that have been bitten by snakes, spiders and such..
    tbone1225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17  Edited By tbone1225

can't he be both?

Sideslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sideslash

I really dig Eddie's awesome new threads.

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By cyberninja

May be anti-venom should change his name to anti-hero.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

@NightFang said:
    Frobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Frobin

I've never really liked Eddie Brock as Venom, though I really love Venom as a villain. But he's a "vivtim character" in my opinion, a bit like Bruce Banner/ Hulk - just Venom being really bad. I also don't see anything interesting in a Hero or Anti-Hero-Venom ... it's just lame. 

Venom in my eyes is an alien monster in need for a human host. Togehter with the host it makes the characters and Venom at it's best means he has a host nearly as bad as himself - so Venom is a major threat.  

I really loved MacGargan as Venom ... totally maniac, totally wayward, untamable ... and I love Carnage. Really great! I see no sense in an Anti-Venom. Venom and all his offsprings has to be major threat beasts and monsters.

Avatar image for clawravenscroft
    ClawRavenscroft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By ClawRavenscroft

I don't like him no matter if evil, good or semi good. 
    He could just disapear and never show up again. :P
    TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    He would be best as an anti-hero.
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By fodigg
    @TheCerealKillz said:
    Yeup. 

I like Eddie fighting supervillains but as a Spider-Man villain. He should want to kill and eat Spider-Man, but only because he sees him as a supervillain.
    EnSabac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EnSabac

I'm liking this story path for Brock. I thought them writing that he was dying of cancer was pathetic. Eddie makes a great anti hero as the Anti-Venom but he needs to find a new name.

Avatar image for notthefaceplease
    NottheFacePlease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NottheFacePlease

Anti-hero.

Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sammo21

Both...Brock was always at odds with spider-man and the way he wanted to deal justice out...shouldn't be any different.

brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By brc2000

He's been pretty fun as Anti-Venom so far. With all the anti-heroes in Marvel it's nice to have one that has a slight goofy tinge but isn't over the top goofy like Deadpool, or completely heartless like Fantomex.

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool
    @InnerVenom123: You hit the nail on the head my friend! 
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30  Edited By Erik

I think the better question is: Who really cares?

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31  Edited By zombietag

i think the best thing about eddie is that he isnt a hero or a villian, hes inbetween but hes not quite a typical anti-hero. 

hes someone who really wants to be good but is just a little sick. thats what makes him fun, he wants to do the right thing but sometimes it a twisted version of how others would do it. i love it.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By Superguy0009e

Eddie seems to be the guy that wants to do good, but had such a messed up life he cant do good things properly

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#33  Edited By pspin

I like him as both, more as Anti-Venom because we see him more instead of every once in a while. 

I see what G-Man is saying when it seems like some of these actions are out of character for Eddie/ Anti-Venom and he has a point. From what I have seen he has not been that violent until the last several encounters with Mr. Negative . 

When he sees Mr. Negative, he goes ballistic and startes trying to kill everyone in a Venom-like fashion. But when he is going up agsinst a street level thug he gets soft. 

I think the writers need to find balacne for him. Personally I would like to see him more violent because it reminds me of classic Venom, one of my favorite supervillains
    Avatar image for grandsymbiote94
    GrandSymbiote94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GrandSymbiote94
    @InnerVenom123 said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Thank you! I was bout to say something about then I see you. You made my day with this post. = )
    spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By spidey 15
    @InnerVenom123: Just EPIC. Very well written post man. 
    :)
    Band Lone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Band Lone

Hes better as a lethal protector

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @spidey 15 said:
    @InnerVenom123: Just EPIC. Very well written post man. :)
    Thanks! And while you're here, you can help me prove my point! 

I'd say beating the tar out of Spider-man for a simple misunderstanding is VERY MUCH SO like the Eddie of olden days. 
     I'd say beating the tar out of Spider-man for a simple misunderstanding is VERY MUCH SO like the Eddie of olden days. 
    Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By They Killed Cap!

I think he is a good villian and a decent anti hero...not really a good hero. In the most recent issue I thought painted him kinda as an idiot.
    spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By spidey 15
    @InnerVenom123: LOL, true. 
    :)
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#40  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

i like him as both. he seens to have overall the same personality just with some minor adjustment. 
    nice too see he still has his long monlolouges about so and so being scum. 
    HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HellionVulcan

Eddie brock is alot like the Juggernaut in how they're handled ,they're always sorta a villain then sorta a hero but anti-hero is where he should stay .

maxicere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By maxicere

I like Eddie Brock in Venom costume, like villain. I don't like de Anti Venom

VSG413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By VSG413

Lets keep Anti-Venom as an Anti-Hero and everything in the world would make a lot ore sense. :-)

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44  Edited By leokearon

Anti-Venom the Anit-Hero
    AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AlKusanagi

I always considered Venom (as in the symbiote itself) to be the villain, where Eddie was just it's pathetic pawn. The actual character of Eddie Brock was a broken man, with nothing left but hatred for a single individual, and the suit used it to its advantage. Once Eddie started to "find himself" and gain a measure of control over the suit, he probably started to become the man he was before his life was "destroyed" by Peter.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By JonesDeini

Villain, the big two's really de-fanged their best villains. 

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @They Killed Cap! said:
    I think he is a good villian and a decent anti hero...not really a good hero. In the most recent issue I thought painted him kinda as an idiot.
    How is he an idiot? He's overly optimistic and unstable. That's not idiocy. 
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#48  Edited By Kairan1979

Let's keep Anti-Venom as anti-hero. Eddie as a hero doesn't make sense.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#49  Edited By ImperiousRix
    @alkusanagi said:

I always considered Venom (as in the symbiote itself) to be the villain, where Eddie was just it's pathetic pawn. The actual character of Eddie Brock was a broken man, with nothing left but hatred for a single individual, and the suit used it to its advantage. Once Eddie started to "find himself" and gain a measure of control over the suit, he probably started to become the man he was before his life was "destroyed" by Peter.

I agree, and as such I think that people who like the character of Eddie Brock himself rather than the symbiote, Venom, like him regardless of his status as hero, anti-hero, or villain.  I think the problem right now is Eddie's getting too much "direction" from too many different writers, and nobody knows what exactly to do with him.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.