Anti-Venom: New Ways To Live REVIEWED, Do You Like The New Look?

Posted by G-Man (34236 posts) - - Show Bio

During the Events of New Ways To Die, we saw Eddie Brock's character come back from the brink of death.  Now we have Eddie in the "Anti-Venom" guise.  Is he going to be a good guy now or will he revert to his murderous ways?

First of off, am I the only one that doesn't like the name "Anti-Venom"?  It just doesn't sound right.  "Hey Anti-Venom, wanna go out for a pizza tonight?"  I suppose, in my opinion, Eddie should still be Venom.  Although perhaps having a new identity is a way for Eddie to have his new start.  He tried doing the hero thing as Venom before and it just didn't really seem to work.  That makes me wonder if it's going to work this time.

After reading this first issue, I have to say that I am glad it's only a three issue mini series.  There just seems to be something missing.  Seeing Eddie struggle with his new duties just didn't really appeal to me.  I don't put the blame on writer Zeb Wells.  I put the blame on Eddie's character.  Hopefully we'll see Eddie really become something during this mini series.

We also see the return of Jenna Cole, a.k.a. Jenna the Junkie.  Eddie saved her from her addiction.  It remains to be seen if she can stay saved.  Also, can someone tell me why she wears her make up like that?

Paulo Siqueira's art is fitting.  He draws a nasty setting in the drug dealers' lair that makes you want to stay as far away as possible.

The question is, is this a good direction for Eddie?  Do you like the Anti-Venom persona and costume?  Do you think this mission Eddie's on will stick?  I was really looking forward to this issue.  I just feel like it all fell apart.  Despite the massive cliffhanger at the end, I'm simply not that excited for the next issue.  Sure, I'll pick it up to see what happens.  I just feel like something is missing.  What did you think?
Staff
#1 Posted by ryanwh (373 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to say one of the only longstanding appeals of venom was how he looked, and this corny new look takes that away. 
 "Purifying evil"? Really? 
Also I kinda thought you'd score it lower, just based on the tone of the review. "Derivative, hokey, played out" etc aren't stellar endorsements.

#2 Posted by Omega-Mekix (594 posts) - - Show Bio

Venom was one of my favorite villains.I believe  Eddie having this new persona will help him with this new heroic duty and make him what he really wanted to be all along, a hero. 

Eddie will never go back to the symbiote or his villainous ways because he's tired of the lies and the results. Do you really believe he will go back after all the suffering it has caused him?

#3 Posted by Grendel (560 posts) - - Show Bio

This read like a bad 90's comic. I'll catch up with any changes on his Comic Vine page.

#4 Posted by Moose (12 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually think that Jennie the Junkie's make-up reminded me of Zuzha Yu (Puck II) 

#5 Posted by RaptorFratBoy (550 posts) - - Show Bio

I keep seeing this compared to "Lethal Protector", and I'm not sure how to take that..."Meh?"

Holding out hope, though. I've been a Brock fan since day-one, so it's hard for me to give-up on him...

#6 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate the name Anti-Venom.  Soooo weak.  He looks cool, but over the years Eddie Brock got annoying.  I prefer the original look of Venom being a built Spider-man with a crazy sharp toothed grin, then Eric Larson had to go and make the mouth bigger and have his tounge and now he's more monster then evil Spider-man .   Because of this I prefer Venom Manga style.  This is just white Venom, but it still has cry baby Eddie Brock.  Eddie needs a new angle.  Go join a team or something.  Get some new character development. 
#7 Edited by Mighty_Destroyer (72 posts) - - Show Bio

why is it that everytime P makes an appearance he is portrayed as some goonish muscle bound idiot. Im a fan of P but never a fan of his appearances. also something seems kinda weak in the story :/

#8 Posted by ryanwh (373 posts) - - Show Bio
@goldenkey said:
" I hate the name Anti-Venom.  Soooo weak.  He looks cool, but over the years Eddie Brock got annoying.  I prefer the original look of Venom being a built Spider-man with a crazy sharp toothed grin, then Eric Larson had to go and make the mouth bigger and have his tounge and now he's more monster then evil Spider-man .   Because of this I prefer Venom Manga style.  This is just white Venom, but it still has cry baby Eddie Brock.  Eddie needs a new angle.  Go join a team or something.  Get some new character development.  "
That's a good point. Venom was originally just anti-spiderman, then he went all Tod McFarlane and turned into some ridiculous demon thing, and now Anti-Venom is, uh, anti-new Venom, basically. Kind of a redundant character. Maybe a better name for him would be New Carnage.
#9 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the name. It's clever. Eddie Brock is better off as normal Venom. I hope he gets the symbiote back.
#10 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

Why? WHY can't we have a phsyco VILLAIN Venom as Eddie? He was SO close to becoming that during "Back in black"!! Remember that Spectacular Spider-man two-parter where he was following his dark side's orders?! SO CLOSE!!!! If only Dan Freakin Slott hadn't said "Hey, lets have a white Venom :D" AUGH!!!! -_-
#11 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

Enjoy the epicness also.
#12 Posted by FLStyle (368 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't accept this nicey nice Brock. As far as I'm going if he isn't going to be a villain then he has to be an anti-hero, who does what he wants when he wants but won't let innocents get killed in the process. Like Peter when the sniper shot Aunt May and he used to black suit to go straight after Kingpin taking down anyone who got in his way.

#13 Posted by KasadyCarnage (319 posts) - - Show Bio

Could this character Anti-Venom meets is Carnage, or Punisher (most likely punisher)
#14 Posted by FLStyle (368 posts) - - Show Bio
@KasadyCarnage said:
" Could this character Anti-Venom meets is Carnage, or Punisher (most likely punisher) "
What about Venom's grandson Toxin? I don't what he's up to these days.
#15 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio
@FLStyle:
Toxin is busy in Marvel Purgatory, meaning Marvel is basically sticking their fingers in their ears and shouting "LALALALALALLALALALAAAA" pretending he doesn't exist.
#16 Posted by ryanwh (373 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
" @FLStyle: Toxin is busy in Marvel Purgatory, meaning Marvel is basically sticking their fingers in their ears and shouting "LALALALALALLALALALAAAA" pretending he doesn't exist. "
I feel like Anti-Venom will probably be joining him real soon.
#17 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio
@ryanwh:
WOW that would suck, I really want Marvel to make Gargan Scorpion (give him a Brand New Day style revamp so he's maybe about HALF the joke he is) and make Brock Venom again (VIlLAIN PLEASE, Anti-hero MAYBE)
#18 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3554 posts) - - Show Bio

Three issue mini series do seem a bit too small. It's basically introduction, climax, and conclusion. They lack levels, but perhaps there is a reason it's so short. Maybe they need this mini series to end, because they are going to use Anti-Venom in something. It could be Eddie will play a part in the battle at the end of Dark Reign.

#19 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

I dislike the whole Anti-Venom deal that they're doing. Like I DO like the design of Anti-Venom and his abilities , like him being able to withstand sonic & fire is pretty cool & all.  But I just don't like how Eddie isn't Venom AND Gargan is now Venom. I'm sorry but to me Gargan will always be Scorpion not Venom. I too dislike the name "Anti-Venom" it just sounds like you said too hokey and that they just couldn't think of a better nameto give him. So for me growing up with Eddie being my favorite Spidey villain and for him not to be Venom anymore I'm just not a fan of that decision.  I hope in the near future that Eddie will be Venom again and Gargan returns to his roots as Scorpion.
#20 Posted by Shockdingo (16 posts) - - Show Bio

I checked out the issue and enjoyed it, I hope that it continues to get better.  I have a few thoughts on Eddie and his current status:

1.) At first, I wanted Brock to get the symbiote back and kick Gargan out a window, but two things happened; first I read and loved the Caged Angels storyline with Thunderbolts and then later Brock was featured in some new Spider-man stories.  I'm ok with Gargan being Venom now and actually don't want Brock to get the old suit back.  He's not as strong as Brock and the symbiote has driven him to do really horrible, inhuman things. It works to me, though I do miss the Scorpion.

2.) I would probably name Anti-Venom something like Cure, Purge or something, look at my screen name, I'm not good with names heh.

3.) I don't want Brock getting the old suit back and here's why: Brock's moved forward and grown as a person. He regained his faith, made peace with himself in what he thought were his final days, looked at his life and choices and finally took responsibility for his actions, and finally was cleared of all previous wrongdoing by Matt Murdock. He even buried the hatchet with Spider-man.  I mean with all this, he's a blank slate and can go in many new directions.  If he got the symbiote back, what exactly would he do that he hasn't done already? The Spider-man hatred wouldn't work for motivation anymore, so where would that leave him? This drive to cure people may make for an interesting direction, and he may try and do other things than just pummel people into submission.  I can see it now, let's say in Marvel's next big event, there's a point in the story where the main bad guy is almost beaten, but unfortunately people across New York are infected with some form of Virus or corrupting force, an unlikely person *hint* hint* can step up and save the day at the last moment.  This could even lead Brock towards some team book or something where he's grouped with an ensemble cast.

4.) For the first time in years, he has a clear head.  The new "suit" he has is made from remnants of the symbiote and his immune system.  He's better than ever, he has none of the previous weaknesses, all the abilities of Venom and no influence of the symbiote. This new suit is all him, it's not even alive. Depending on the writer, the symbiote has been influencing Brock negatively for so long, without it, he can have a better shot at being a hero and not falling prey to intense emotion, though that may be canceled out since in this issue, he still has rage issues.

5.) Jenna Cole. Depending on what they do, she can be VERY important to Brock.  Him having someone to care about on his constant adventures can make him grow storywise and character-wise. One thing a comic book character needs is a supporting cast.  

Tl;dr version: I'm sticking with this and hope that this is a bold new direction for Brock. It needs to find its legs and continue doing new things with him. Going backwards can potentially stagnate the character and as a whole cause him damage.

#21 Posted by Giuseppe Riccadonna (2071 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
"@FLStyle: Toxin is busy in Marvel Purgatory, meaning Marvel is basically sticking their fingers in their ears and shouting "LALALALALALLALALALAAAA" pretending he doesn't exist. "

They seriuosly said they don't want Toxin??? 

And I like the New Anti-Venom. I think this is really cool.
#22 Posted by Jamiracles (351 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shockdingo:  I agree, I like the idea of him sort of moving on and I would also like it if he didnt get the old suit back. At least permentently.
#23 Posted by skaarason (683 posts) - - Show Bio

i love the name and the suit , it would be a great on-going !!!!!!!!!!!

#24 Posted by wadey wilson (52 posts) - - Show Bio

eddie brock was the best venom and gargan isn't going to surpass him. (I mean even the symbiote realizes that, he wanted to come back with him during new ways to die). Then, he got this all wonderful new suit that doesn't try to control him at all, he's got no weaknesses, etc. Suming all up, he's now the perfect vigilante, except for that little detail: he's insane. As much as I love the character ever since Todd McFarlane and David Michelinie created him, he always had that internal struggle in his head about killing people. And now that he has the power again, the struggle is greater, and let's not forget that he's always been portrayed as a devoted catholic, so his sense of right and wrong is always influenced by that (in a very twisted way although  ). I remember thinking that when he kissed that guard's forehead after he killed him during his second appearance, I thought "well, we have a villain with a conscience".  
I think everyone wants him to come back as Venom, but I think that, as a character, it wouldn't suit him. He is happy now, and much stronger than Gargan. I guess Marvel could use him as a greater character now, but maybe all he just needs is a bit more of popularity (although he isn't going to get it with a name like anti-venom, which by the way, they kept the same font in this title as his old venom titles). I say we all enjoy this mini-series, and look out for the next appearances of the renewed lethal protector.
#25 Posted by wadey wilson (52 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shockdingo:
totally agree with you
#26 Posted by Agent Buttons (13479 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not too concerned with his name. his new abilities are interesting tho.

#27 Posted by Psyker star (3492 posts) - - Show Bio

Good review 
but i like the name sounds cool 

#28 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio
@Omega-Mekix:
Yes. Because Marvel has a solo "Venom" movie to promote, its all buisness when you get right down to it.
#29 Posted by crazed_h3ro (1000 posts) - - Show Bio

eddie turned good, yet he looks like he's going to kill someone...Great reveiw G-man, cant wait to pick this up. Now am off to play ultimate alliance 2 and beat venom senselessly...  ^_^
#30 Posted by GERALD (165 posts) - - Show Bio

I want Eddie to team up with someone. Back when Eddie was Venom, I always wanted he and Spidey to work together. Afterall, their relationship is like Tom and Jerry: Venom is always chasing Spiderman around etc etc. Now I'm waiting for the day when Eddie will stop chasing Spider-Man and join him, like when Tom and Jerry became friends lol.

#31 Posted by Shockdingo (16 posts) - - Show Bio
@GERALD:  Actually, in New Ways to Die, he and Spider-man teamed up against the Thunderbolts. It wasn't like one of their past team ups, Eddie saw the good in Spider-man and finally buried the hatred and rivalry.
#32 Posted by Dark Cell (447 posts) - - Show Bio

I find the whole Anti-Venom thing interesting.
#33 Posted by Pyro666 (26 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shockdingo:  
Im going to give this one a chance atleast and buy the 3 issues. But honestly I dont mind that they are taking the suit in another direction as much as they are taking the characters. I think its important for the development of other stories as well. Anyway the art looks smash up and im sure there will be some awsome fights and revalations, plus it would be nice to see a symboit on symboit  brawl so i have my fingers crossed for that.
#34 Posted by Omega-Mekix (594 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
" @Omega-Mekix: Yes. Because Marvel has a solo "Venom" movie to promote, its all buisness when you get right down to it. "
It is kinda sad that most comics now-a-days consider money to be higher then the comic's quality. We need a comic series that say "Forget business, forget quantity, this comic is going for quality and no amount of money is going to change that."
#35 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio
@Omega-Mekix:
True, but this is one case where I wouldn't mind buisness being over story, besides, at this point, I want--NEED Eddie as Venom, because Gargan just ain't cutting it... seriously... 

They could build Eddie up again as Anti, then, since they have established that Osborn has a chemical that kills what Anti-Venom is made out of, make it so Eddie loses it, loses everything, Gargan gets beaten (somehow) and TA-DA! :D 
#36 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio
@Giuseppe Riccadonna:
They never SAID it, but they might as well have, I mean, come on, when you have a character who hasn't been used since 2005.....
#37 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

This Anti-Venom sounds kinda interesting, even more soo if it had nothing to do with Venom or Eddie.

#38 Posted by Om1kron (1170 posts) - - Show Bio

superman : red / blue - nuff said. 

#39 Posted by GERALD (165 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shockdingo said:
" @GERALD:  Actually, in New Ways to Die, he and Spider-man teamed up against the Thunderbolts. It wasn't like one of their past team ups, Eddie saw the good in Spider-man and finally buried the hatred and rivalry. "
I know, I should have clarified..

I want VENOM and Spiderman to team up, not this Anti-Venom crap.
#40 Posted by box turtle (1258 posts) - - Show Bio
@KasadyCarnage said:
"Could this character Anti-Venom meets is Carnage, or Punisher (most likely punisher) "

It says in the marvel preview for issue 2 that punisher shows up, so idon't think it spoils anything to say that he probably is in there. 

I MUST GET THIS ISSUE, but there are four more important ones coming out this week.  I don't know what to do.
#41 Posted by AlfredPMcLovely (22 posts) - - Show Bio

That comic seems pretty terrible.  If you ask me they should have left Brock alone after the McFarlane/Larson/Bagley era of Venom stories.  After Venom became big they tried to turn Eddie into something hes not.  Brock was never superhero material but they kept forcing him into these lame excuses of plots that involved him searching his soul or some nonsense.  He was a big bastard who ate people and whose reason for existence was to torment Spidey and that was awesome.  Hes a pointless pansy now.
#42 Posted by Kame789 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd prefer if he at least looked like Venom. I don't like the red eyes thing he has going on. It looks too much like the Gargan Venom, whom I am not a fan of. Just freaking flip the colors on the original Venom design and he'd look awesome.

As for the name? How about The Anti-Venom instead of just 'Anti-Venom'? I think it makes more sense.

#43 Posted by brandnewday and antivenom fan (76 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Anti-Vemon and Gargan as Venom, Bring back Carnage!!!!!!!
#44 Posted by mattydeNero (526 posts) - - Show Bio

What I'm wondering is exactly why Anti-Venom got a mini-seires?  Is this to make another new, legit good guy in the MARVEL U?  I like Brock as a villain.
#45 Posted by LJHalsall (6 posts) - - Show Bio

dont like the name, think the costume could do with a bit of tinkering but would look good then. think it has potential tho

#46 Posted by Shockdingo (16 posts) - - Show Bio

What would you guys change about the costume? I'm thinking since he's abandoned his old self, either midway through the mini or end, he should mod his look and change the logo a bit.

#47 Posted by REDPride88 (29 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, I feel like I'm looking at the polar opposite of Venom, Anti-Venom looks badass, because he still looks like Venom in a way. I thought that it was cool that they but Brock back into the mix, they finally showed him some respect after all he was the best host. Also, I couldn't think of a better arch enemy for Venom than a person who had the suite before. It could become similar to the relationship that Eddie Brock Venom and Spider-Man had. It has the stuff to become better. But in the end I will always prefer Eddie to be Venom. 

#48 Posted by DEADPOOL (2710 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like Anti-Venom's symbiote, of course I am bias to a white, black, and red combo. I also think this is a good character path for Eddie. He was established as the "Lethal Protector" before, but writers really had no idea how to handle Venom and he just kinda went in every direction. I think this is supposed to make Eddie like he was and why we liked him so much.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.