Where are her fans? Do you like Echo/Maya Lopez?

#1 Posted by SC (12511 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh wow, I am sort of surprised her forum is so empty and un-used, I sort of figured she would be a character with a thriving fan base. I know Marvel ain't using her more often, is this way? I overestimated how many fans she has?  

So yeah, really just looking for numbers (can we do polls? Cause that would probably be the easiest way, but I totally suck at figuring stuff out)  

Anyway I have been fan, ever since she was introduced in Daredevil. I am annoyed she didn't end up in Spider-Woman either, who cares if it was cancelled, should have still happened lol 

Other fans please speak up! 

#2 Posted by Vance Astro (91071 posts) - - Show Bio

Her forum isn't used because there is nothing to really say about her.Most of the threads in forums for characters are questions about their powers or something like that.I'm a huge fan of Echo.The reasoning for her absence I can't fathom.The fact that the Avengers have spent no time actually trying to find her and she was only mentioned once since her "disappearance" angers me.She was supposed to appear in Spider-Woman as stated but she didn't due to it's cancellation..but the same writer, (Bendis) has\had plenty of time to reintroduce her in New Avengers or either of the two Avengers books he's writing.I'm going to assume the only reason she's only appeared for a cheap joke in recent New Avengers is because he (Bendis) is thinking up a way for the situation between Hawkeye & Echo to go down.I'm sure if she ever meets up with the Avengers again there will be some tension between her and Mockingbird over Clint..and there will be some tension with Clint seeing as how he blatantly didn't give a damn where she was despite their relationship.She was never properly used in New Avengers but once Secret Invasion arrived she got completely dirtbagged.They had Veranke knock her out so she was absent for some time and then afterwards she completely disappeared.Ridiculous.I miss Echo.

#3 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

I regret Bendis touching her...but at the same time I feel like if he hadn't she would've just been forgotten.

#4 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

i liked her character in new avengers, was rather pissed when they brought mockingbird back and she faded out of the picture. clint has sucked since mockingbird came back.

#5 Posted by SC (12511 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" Her forum isn't used because there is nothing to really say about her.Most of the threads in forums for characters are questions about their powers or something like that.I'm a huge fan of Echo.The reasoning for her absence I can't fathom.The fact that the Avengers have spent no time actually trying to find her and she was only mentioned once since her "disappearance" angers me.She was supposed to appear in Spider-Woman as stated but she didn't due to it's cancellation..but the same writer, (Bendis) has\had plenty of time to reintroduce her in New Avengers or either of the two Avengers books he's writing.I'm going to assume the only reason she's only appeared for a cheap joke in recent New Avengers is because he (Bendis) is thinking up a way for the situation between Hawkeye & Echo to go down.I'm sure if she ever meets up with the Avengers again there will be some tension between her and Mockingbird over Clint..and there will be some tension with Clint seeing as how he blatantly didn't give a damn where she was despite their relationship.She was never properly used in New Avengers but once Secret Invasion arrived she got completely dirtbagged.They had Veranke knock her out so she was absent for some time and then afterwards she completely disappeared.Ridiculous.I miss Echo. "

Thats cool man, it was actually your post somewhere else that reminded me to catch up with her and look for some threads to discuss with other fans of hers, so I looked for her forum and there where only 3 threads. lol Was a bit sad. Yeah, I didn't think writers (Bendis) handled that well at all, which is strange because he seemed to appreciate writing her.  

Oh thats right, that totally slipped my mind she appeared in that page with all the characters applying to be a nanny.  

Yeah I agree. Hopefully the future might bring us more positive news, I miss her too. Thanks for posting! 
#6 Posted by Lance Uppercut (23245 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed what I read from her time in New Avengers.

#7 Posted by SC (12511 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy: @DH69:  Cool, more fans! There are some of us lol 

Yeah I know about Bendis and touching... ah that comes out wrong, never mind. Still, I liked her in New Avengers, she played off well against a few characters. I wonder where she will end up reappearing, hopefully she might be used in Fear Itself too... 
#8 Posted by Maya_Liafador (4277 posts) - - Show Bio

She's alright lol

#9 Posted by SC (12511 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lance Uppercut said:
" I enjoyed what I read from her time in New Avengers. "

She had some really cool moments in Daredevil, I might scan in some of the cooler parts later and post in this thread if you recheck in this thread now and then. 
#10 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC: She was cool in New Avengers, but to pick up a character like that then just drop her off into obscurity? Horrible management on his part, IMO. I mean at least he did something with the Sentry however unfavorable that was, and he's been sitting and babying Cage and Jessica Jones ever since Alias...even Spider-Woman got her own series out of what he did. And when you look at it, Echo popped up that initial Ronin arc and then disappeared until post-Civil War. There's a lot more usage and lost potential when it comes to Maya.
#11 Posted by Vance Astro (91071 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
 Thanks for posting!  "
Anytime ^_^ 
#12 Posted by Vance Astro (91071 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
" @Lance Uppercut said:
" I enjoyed what I read from her time in New Avengers. "
 She had some really cool moments in Daredevil, I might scan in some of the cooler parts later and post in this thread if you recheck in this thread now and then.  "
Her appearances in Daredevil seems to be the only thing that's relevant to her character.Her treatment in New Avengers is almost a mirror of what Bendis did with Moonstone in Dark Avengers...she did pretty much nothing the entire series.I really wish Echo would have reappeared in Shadowland..she is a DD character after all.Not that, that even was good or anything but at least she would have had some face time.
#13 Posted by SC (12511 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy said:
" @SC: She was cool in New Avengers, but to pick up a character like that then just drop her off into obscurity? Horrible management on his part, IMO. I mean at least he did something with the Sentry however unfavorable that was, and he's been sitting and babying Cage and Jessica Jones ever since Alias...even Spider-Woman got her own series out of what he did. And when you look at it, Echo popped up that initial Ronin arc and then disappeared until post-Civil War. There's a lot more usage and lost potential when it comes to Maya. "

I agree completely. She was actually a pretty unique character straight of the bat. Simple but very strong and distinguishable look (especially with the hand print) cool powers, the lack of hearing thing. Links to a few characters in MU.  

Maybe Bendis had a minor mental breakdown trying to consider how he was going to convey her understanding characters in situations she couldn't see them talk lol 

Its just good to know she has fans, if she has some, always a possibility Marvel will start using her more. 
#14 Posted by SC (12511 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" Her appearances in Daredevil seems to be the only thing that's relevant to her character.Her treatment in New Avengers is almost a mirror of what Bendis did with Moonstone in Dark Avengers...she did pretty much nothing the entire series.I really wish Echo would have reappeared in Shadowland..she is a DD character after all.Not that, that even was good or anything but at least she would have had some face time. "

Thats honestly where I was expecting to see her as well. After the Spider Woman disappointment, and news of Shadowland, I counted on seeing Elektra, Kingpin, Iron Fist, and Echo definitely playing a part, maybe small roles, but still being involved, would make a lot of sense. Nothing. Was just odd.  

Plus yeah, just reminding fans she is still around is good, I agree. Shadowland would have been a good opportunity. Now she is in limbo. I might hit up Tom Brevoort on his Formspring account and see if he knows anything. 
#15 Posted by Vance Astro (91071 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
" @iLLituracy said:
" @SC: She was cool in New Avengers, but to pick up a character like that then just drop her off into obscurity? Horrible management on his part, IMO. I mean at least he did something with the Sentry however unfavorable that was, and he's been sitting and babying Cage and Jessica Jones ever since Alias...even Spider-Woman got her own series out of what he did. And when you look at it, Echo popped up that initial Ronin arc and then disappeared until post-Civil War. There's a lot more usage and lost potential when it comes to Maya. "
 I agree completely. She was actually a pretty unique character straight of the bat. Simple but very strong and distinguishable look (especially with the hand print) cool powers, the lack of hearing thing. Links to a few characters in MU.   Maybe Bendis had a minor mental breakdown trying to consider how he was going to convey her understanding characters in situations she couldn't see them talk lol  Its just good to know she has fans, if she has some, always a possibility Marvel will start using her more.  "
Marvel doesn't care about female characters.There is no buzz around the She-Hulks book,Elektra doesn't have a comic,remember how popular Silver Sable was at one point? She's a background character now that appears once in a blue moon.They took away Arana's identity and made her "Spider-Girl" without her original powers and a less hispanic and gimmicky name, Ms.Marvels book was cancelled after those crappy Moonstone issues and that War of the Marvels arc (by far one of the worst things i've ever read). etc. etc. Echo is absent..meanwhile it seems Finesse (Member of the Avengers Academy) seems to be doing all the things Echo should have been doing. (Like having a rivalry with Taskmaster because they have the same powers). She's not even a good character she's basically Kate Bishop (Hawkeye) with photographic reflexes.
#16 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

I love her. She was a great character, ironic considering the "minds" behind her creation.

#17 Posted by daredevil21134 (10643 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
"Oh wow, I am sort of surprised her forum is so empty and un-used, I sort of figured she would be a character with a thriving fan base. I know Marvel ain't using her more often, is this way? I overestimated how many fans she has?   So yeah, really just looking for numbers (can we do polls? Cause that would probably be the easiest way, but I totally suck at figuring stuff out)   Anyway I have been fan, ever since she was introduced in Daredevil. I am annoyed she didn't end up in Spider-Woman either, who cares if it was cancelled, should have still happened lol  Other fans please speak up!  "

I didn't like the way Bendis made her sleep with Hawkeye,Echo is more complex then that and I didn't like him making her ronin or the whole party girl thing.David Mack made her a great powerful character and I think Bendis ruin her in someways
#18 Posted by Vance Astro (91071 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134 said:
" @SC said:
"Oh wow, I am sort of surprised her forum is so empty and un-used, I sort of figured she would be a character with a thriving fan base. I know Marvel ain't using her more often, is this way? I overestimated how many fans she has?   So yeah, really just looking for numbers (can we do polls? Cause that would probably be the easiest way, but I totally suck at figuring stuff out)   Anyway I have been fan, ever since she was introduced in Daredevil. I am annoyed she didn't end up in Spider-Woman either, who cares if it was cancelled, should have still happened lol  Other fans please speak up!  "
I didn't like the way Bendis made her sleep with Hawkeye,Echo is more complex then that and I didn't like him making her ronin or the whole party girl thing.David Mack made her a great powerful character and I think Bendis ruin her in someways "
She was only Ronin for like two issues and then Hawkeye took over.I think Echo sleeping with Hawkeye just proves my Moonstone theory though.The lesser used female character always ends up in bed with someone accept in Moonstone's case she slept with half the team.
#19 Posted by daredevil21134 (10643 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @daredevil21134 said:
" @SC said:
I didn't like the way Bendis made her sleep with Hawkeye,Echo is more complex then that and I didn't like him making her ronin or the whole party girl thing.David Mack made her a great powerful character and I think Bendis ruin her in someways "
She was only Ronin for like two issues and then Hawkeye took over.I think Echo sleeping with Hawkeye just proves my Moonstone theory though.The lesser used female character always ends up in bed with someone accept in Moonstone's case she slept with half the team. "

I agree,I was really interested in Moonstone until I heard that she slept with Daken Bullseye and Marvel boy.I don't know if thats how the character really is or is she just under the Bendis influence
#20 Posted by Vance Astro (91071 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134 said:
I agree,I was really interested in Moonstone until I heard that she slept with Daken Bullseye and Marvel boy.I don't know if thats how the character really is or is she just under the Bendis influence "
I would have thought Brian Reed would have written her better given my interest in his work for Ms.Marvel but once Moonstone took over that book went way downhill.Soooo boring and pointless.I liked Moonstone better before Zemo lost the Thunderbolts.
#21 Edited by daredevil21134 (10643 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @daredevil21134 said:
I agree,I was really interested in Moonstone until I heard that she slept with Daken Bullseye and Marvel boy.I don't know if thats how the character really is or is she just under the Bendis influence "
I would have thought Brian Reed would have written her better given my interest in his work for Ms.Marvel but once Moonstone took over that book went way downhill.Soooo boring and pointless.I liked Moonstone better before Zemo lost the Thunderbolts. "

Maybe Brian Reed didn't like her,maybe he never wanted Carol to be replaced?
#22 Posted by Vance Astro (91071 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134 said:
Maybe Brian Reed didn't like her,maybe he never wanted Carol to be replaced? "
That was my theory too.I think he just had to do it because Bendis refused to use any characters besides Sentry,Vicki Hand,or Osborn in Dark Avengers so the other characters had to get a mini or take over someone elses book.Reed's Ms.Marvel from the beginning all the way up to Secret Invasion was very good.
#23 Posted by IrishX (2274 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
"Her forum isn't used because there is nothing to really say about her.Most of the threads in forums for characters are questions about their powers or something like that.I'm a huge fan of Echo.The reasoning for her absence I can't fathom.I miss Echo. "

Vance sums it up perfectly here for me. I'm a big fan of Echo as well.
#24 Posted by daredevil21134 (10643 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @daredevil21134 said:
Maybe Brian Reed didn't like her,maybe he never wanted Carol to be replaced? "
That was my theory too.I think he just had to do it because Bendis refused to use any characters besides Sentry,Vicki Hand,or Osborn in Dark Avengers so the other characters had to get a mini or take over someone elses book.Reed's Ms.Marvel from the beginning all the way up to Secret Invasion was very good. "

I agree
#25 Posted by Midnight Monk (225 posts) - - Show Bio

She did appear recently in New Avengers when Luke and Jessica were looking for a babysitter and she flat out said "I use to be on this f*cking team". And since Bendis is writing it I'm guessing he's aware of the injustice he did and doesn't really give a ratass which isn't very surprising considering he is a douche

#26 Posted by Shadowsnake89 (408 posts) - - Show Bio
@Midnight Monk: 
I loved the character.I am a huge fan of  Native  American characters and really wish they would put her on the New Avengers instead of Mockingbird.
#27 Posted by daredevil21134 (10643 posts) - - Show Bio
@Midnight Monk said:
"She did appear recently in New Avengers when Luke and Jessica were looking for a babysitter and she flat out said "I use to be on this f*cking team". And since Bendis is writing it I'm guessing he's aware of the injustice he did and doesn't really give a ratass which isn't very surprising considering he is a douche "

agreed
#28 Posted by xlizen (106 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard she might show up in the new Moon Knight series. She's a great character and I loved her in the New Avengers!

#29 Posted by daredevil21134 (10643 posts) - - Show Bio

I love her but only when David Mack writes her

#30 Posted by AntiHeroMofo (73 posts) - - Show Bio

I LOVE ECHO! and she's gonna be BIIIIIIGGGG....Just watch!
#31 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134 said:
@Midnight Monk said:
"She did appear recently in New Avengers when Luke and Jessica were looking for a babysitter and she flat out said "I use to be on this f*cking team". And since Bendis is writing it I'm guessing he's aware of the injustice he did and doesn't really give a ratass which isn't very surprising considering he is a douche "
agreed
lol nice. 
#32 Posted by JMLG (135 posts) - - Show Bio

very underrated character, lets see how what happened in Moon Knight #9 plays out...

#33 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

- The writers couldn't think of anything to do with her so they had her sleep with Hawkeye (how original) and then tossed into limbo. Such a dignified way to go off into the sunset..maybe it turns out she was a Doombot too.

- I thought she was one of the highlights of New Avengers during her run as Ronin, hard to believe no writer can find a use for her in a book other than another notch on the arrow for Clint.

- Instead she gets asked to be the nanny, I would rather they kept her and booted Luke Cage

#34 Posted by WildValentine (289 posts) - - Show Bio

I adored her as Ronin, and I was seriously pissed off when she gave the persona to Clint. As much as I don't like her being a supporting character in the Moon Knight series, at least she's getting attention.

#35 Posted by Purgy (419 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey there any new updates on Echo?

#36 Posted by Starleafgirl (1341 posts) - - Show Bio

Why did Bendis have to kill off this great character? It pisses me off to no end. There are very few Marvel characters I'm interested in to begin with. Ah well. Just another reason to hate Bendis.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.