Photographic Reflexes....Will it ever be done Justice?

Posted by RightScar (311 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel creates tons of martial arts related characters and why none are as ridiculous as DC's Karate Kid they do have some with outstanding Martial arts abilities and powers which enhance those abilities.As good as Echo is, I always wondered how much better she would be had she had the time to actually study characters like Wolverine,Iron Fist,Spider-Man,Luke Cage,maybe even some of the Immortal Weapons...but then again would that just lead to Marvel getting rid of her? I mean Taskmaster was big during Dark Reign in siege and he even got a mini and a spot in the new MVC3 but how many times have we seen Taskmaster go from team buster\high level villain to punching bag? What will happen to Finesse for that matter? It seems like she's replaced Echo with her abilities being kind of like photographic reflexes and her learning martial arts at a rapid rate? Will she be forgotten and end up like the members of the Initiative? I guess my big question here is..why does Marvel set outlandish standards for their martial artists and then frequently fail to keep up with? Why overpower a character if you can't maintain their abilities under the type of writing you want to project?     
#1 Posted by Mercy_ (91881 posts) - - Show Bio

When was the last time we actually saw Echo? I think Marvel has pretty much already gotten rid of her. : /

#2 Edited by RightScar (311 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:

" When was the last time we actually saw Echo? I think Marvel has pretty much already gotten rid of her. : / "

Secret Invasion.At the beginning of Dark Reign I believe it was Iron Fist who said where's Echo and Clint said something like..I called her and she didn't answer.I think that was a deaf joke though.You know Bendis enjoys his humor.
#3 Posted by Mercy_ (91881 posts) - - Show Bio
@RightScar said:
" @The Dark Huntress said:

" When was the last time we actually saw Echo? I think Marvel has pretty much already gotten rid of her. : / "

Secret Invasion.At the beginning of Dark Reign I believe it was Iron Fist who said where's Echo and Clint said something like..I called her and she didn't answer.I think that was a deaf joke though.You know Bendis enjoys his humor. "
Yeah....Bendis.  

Secret Invasion was what...three years ago? I think it's safe to say she's fallen into the unused category for the time being.
#4 Posted by RightScar (311 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @RightScar said:
" @The Dark Huntress said:

Secret Invasion.At the beginning of Dark Reign I believe it was Iron Fist who said where's Echo and Clint said something like..I called her and she didn't answer.I think that was a deaf joke though.You know Bendis enjoys his humor. "
Yeah....Bendis.   Secret Invasion was what...three years ago? I think it's safe to say she's fallen into the unused category for the time being. "
Oh wait she was in a issue of New Avengers recently.It was another joke but Cage and Jessica were looking for a baby sitter and one of them was Echo and when they got to her she said "You know I used to be on this #$$#%#$# team right?"
#5 Posted by Mercy_ (91881 posts) - - Show Bio
@RightScar: Yeah...that's not being used, though. That's a cameo and an insulting one at that. 
#6 Posted by RightScar (311 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @RightScar: Yeah...that's not being used, though. That's a cameo and an insulting one at that.  "
I know..it's pretty sad.Marvel is using Finesse,and Taskmaster though.They haven't corrupted Finesse yet but they had a character named Melee whose power was to be a master of all fighting styles or something like that and they forgot about her too...I mean they forgot about the entire Initiative but she didn't even get much face time even before the book ended.
#7 Posted by Shadowsnake89 (403 posts) - - Show Bio

And I really liked Echo she was my favorite members of the New Avengers. They always get rid of the good characters. On a good note The writers of Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes have said they plan on using Taskmaster in the show.

#8 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Photographic Reflexes is probably my favorite ability in all of comics.

#9 Posted by Iron_Lad (313 posts) - - Show Bio

Taskmaster has been doing justice to his photographic reflexes for a long time. Especially in his latest limited series. I thought they did a fantastic job of illustrating his abilities.

Spiderman/Shang-Chi/Swordsman

Captain America

Elektra

Daredevil

Black Knight
#10 Posted by RightScar (311 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't say for a long time.It wasn't to long ago that Moon Knight damn near made him cry.

#11 Posted by Omarpool (6760 posts) - - Show Bio
@RightScar: I didn't like that. Seemed kinda out of character.
#12 Posted by RightScar (311 posts) - - Show Bio
@Omarpool said:
" @RightScar: I didn't like that. Seemed kinda out of character. "
My point exactly...
#13 Posted by Degalon (743 posts) - - Show Bio

The issue is that they make team buster characters like Taskmaster, and Juggernaut as another example, who are meant to be "once in a while, terrifying big league threats", but then they just keep having them show up and get overexposed due to popularity.  And with so many appearances, they can't win every fight, or it'd look like the heroes have no hope.  So instead it looks like they are getting their butts kicked because the heroes defeat them so many times in a row.

#14 Posted by higher_evolutionary (2014 posts) - - Show Bio

the problem is the writers dont understand what this type of memory really is or arent creative enough to find a non pis way to beat him

#15 Posted by Rasarima (371 posts) - - Show Bio

@higher_evolutionary said:

the problem is the writers dont understand what this type of memory really is or arent creative enough to find a non pis way to beat him

I think they do, but we exagerate it.

He can´t create anything like the originals, he copy one existent movement that he think is useful in a moment, but that is that... It is a very cool power but the originality in the opponent always get to him...

#16 Posted by BloodTalon (443 posts) - - Show Bio

@Iron_Lad said: That story in Moon Knight was crap and I stopped getting Moon Knight after that. On a side note I blame Finch for why Taskmaster is now wearing his old outfit instead of his way cooler one he was wearing for a wile. Why, because I got a comic signed at a show by him and I asked him why he used the old one and he replied that he was unaware that Taskmaster had a different one this answer appalled me and I walked away with out an other word.

Taskmaster has been doing justice to his photographic reflexes for a long time. Especially in his latest limited series. I thought they did a fantastic job of illustrating his abilities.

Spiderman/Shang-Chi/Swordsman

Captain America

Elektra

Daredevil

Black Knight

I agree. I love how this artist drew Taskmaster's power in action to bad the story sucked most notably the whole memory loss BS there are not enough negative words to describe how bad that addition to Taskmaster's history is.@RightScar:

#17 Posted by blackair9 (96 posts) - - Show Bio

excellent observation. I hope her 'death" isn't final she makes for a great street level hero. she could be to the deaf what oracle was to the wheel chair bound.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.