undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

James Robinson left last issue on something of a cliffhanger after Green Lantern, the Flash, and Dr. Fate had the same idea as the World Army in attacking Dherain, seat of power of Steppenwolf and Apokolips’ forces on Earth 2. They were met by the (fantastically named) Hunger Dogs of Apokolips, a titanically powerful trio of villains, and it looked like a battle was to begin. That battle, as the issue opens, was a catastrophic defeat for the assembled force, leaving some dead, others completely incapacitated and only one still cogent enough to relay what was happening. The monumentally strong Brutaal, the mystically immune Beguiler and the insanity inducing Bedlam seemed to be more than a match for the heroes. Meanwhile, Hawkgirl continues her investigation in an effort to uncover the secret behind Alan Scott’s fiancee’s assassination, believing there is far, far more to it than a simple power play and Big Barda faces Fury with her husband Mr. Miracle while they search for the mysterious Batman of Earth 2. These three plotlines exist very independently, but they’re all absolutely fascinating, two of them containing mysteries that may not be solved by the time Robinson exits the title.

The battle that the issue opens with is one of the best in the series, and this is a series that has made enormous, brutal battles one of its hallmarks, as the Hunger Dogs display power that even Solomon Grundy would have flinched at. Robinson has an ability to take dialog that would sound awkward (“Making them all psycho crazy.” “His mask fired some kind of Apokolips death-beam.”) and making it sound completely organic. Both those lines are spoken by Flash, but thanks to his fantastic characterization, they actually sound like things the kind of person in his situation would say.

Let’s talk about Nicola and Trevor Scott, who handle artistic duties. These two have made this series an absolute joy to behold from the character designs right up to the action. There have been characters who’ve stood out more than others, but everything has a standard of excellence across the board, but this issue takes it to a whole other level, particularly with the action. There’s a true skill to taking an epic, grandiose battle and making it still feel powerful from moment to moment and, more importantly, intimate. A massive battle zoomed out might look great, but actually seeing people get their head torn off or their faces contort in pain and exertion makes drives the importance of what’s going on, both in a macro and micro sense. I’d also be remiss if I didn’t mention the absolutely fantastic Juan Doe cover. I have a soft spot for old school-style propaganda posters and this one is one of the best I’ve seen in awhile.

The Bad

My first complaint is about as fanboyish as I get and that’s that I need more Hawkgirl. She’s one of my favorite characters in the series and while she continuously appears, I need her in the spotlight. I need it SO BAD! This ties in to a more concrete complaint and that’s that, while I enjoy all three plot threads and think they’re all leading to something great, focusing on all of them leads to this issue feeling fractured and schizophrenic. It’s one thing to take a break from the action to let the audience catch their breath, but it’s quite another to momentarily focus on one plot thread only to throw us into a third, also action-packed one. It comes off more like a roller coaster that stops mid-drop for a second only to plummet the rest of the way. With a few more pages, this kind of thing could work, but it feels very rushed with how it appears. I’m also not sure how Robinson is going to tie up these issues with only one remaining in his run and which, if any, plot threads will be left dangling.

The Verdict

This remains one of the best action-oriented comics on the shelf. The amount of depth and nuance that has been brought to these stories, despite the focus on massive superhero brawls, is commendable and almost unreal. This issue, minor complaints aside, stays on that target, still developing the Flash as a complex and nuanced character, showing a great repartee, both verbally and physically, between Barda and Miracle and even showing how two type-As like Alan Scott and the Atom can work perfectly together when push comes to shove. Showing characterization through action is one of this book’s strongest suits and it’s something this issue does so subtly that you just may have missed it. Which is a great excuse to go back and read it again!

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By blkson

I pointed this out on another forum. The book started out with the reader believeing that Green Lantern, Flash, and Hawkgirl were major Wonders and possibly the Earth 2 new trinity. The book has heavenly departed from that feel. Hawkgirl barely does anything.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@blkson: Well, they are, but the thing is that the book is called Earth-2, so it's not supposed to be shackled to those three.

Catsnlynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm ok with there being less Hawkgirl.

Avatar image for avengers_4everxx
    Avengers_4everXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can someone remind me who's taking over with issue 17? And give an opinion on the writer? I'm still horribly depressed that James is leaving.

That said, excellent review, I agree on all points, and I am just so glad someone picked up reviewing this after Sara left. I was worried it would start getting ignored on the site like every other title I read

DoctorTrips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This is still my favorite series of the New 52, I'm a fan of each character and honestly can't wait till they finally unite to become the Justice Society. My only real complaint, which is minor, is that they introduced a new Batman for Earth-2 so soon.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

@avengers_4everxx: Tom Taylor is taking over the book. He's shown he can do fun things with alternate DC universes with the Injustice comic, so I'm confident the book is being left in good hands.

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By blkson

@outside_85 said:

@blkson: Well, they are, but the thing is that the book is called Earth-2, so it's not supposed to be shackled to those three.

I'm saying the book started that way. Now, out of those three (Hawkgirl, GL, Flash) only Green Lantern and Flash have been heavily featured. The story has progressed through them two for the last 3 issues.

mikeyar19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Juan Doe is a pseudonym, right? If so, it's hilarious!

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Cant wait to read this.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cant wait to read this.

ME TOO!

im actually fine with less Hawkgirl. shes cool but not that cool. I like Flash and Barda!

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Haven't been enjoying this book so much past few issues.

And yet again Hawkgirl is out of the spot light -_-

I feel like Robinson lost interest in writing this since he was leaving the book.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By nappystr8

I've been a big fan of Earth 2 since issue one, but I thought this issue was really poorly written. The story just jumps from one group of characters to the next, without actually doing anything meaningful with those characters that leaves me intrigued as to what happens next. Some of these threads really didn't even do anything but rehash scenes from the last issue. The dialogue felt very cliche and the text boxes were littered with unnecessary parenthesis and run on sentences.

It feels like either Robinson knew he would have to leave the book prematurely, and just kind of gave up on trying his best, or that his departure occurred before he was able to complete a final draft on this issue. Maybe I'm looking too much into it, even the best writers have off weeks sometimes.

MajorJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By MajorJay

I do not know about the rest of you, but this book felt over before it even started.. i doubt it was even a 5 min read...

I love the series... but feel let done by this issue..

FastestBlender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From IGN: "The story, dialogue, and character arcs of Earth 2 are all executed with the best intentions, yet every single one of those elements fall flat. But that’s nothing new for this beleaguered series. This chapter continues the downward spiral brought on by issue after issue of overstuffed word balloons, debuts of dull characters, and plot threads that go on for an eternity."

The man who wrote Starman is no longer with us. And I doubt you'll hear him on the podcast anytime soon

AWeekInGeekdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been loving Earth 2 since the first issue! Loved seeing Mr. Miracle/Barda vs Fury ... and off course my favorite Mystic hero, Dr. Fate! (Btw that costume looks badass)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Eh, not much happening again. I don't really feel like anything has happened since it was announced JR was leaving. The art is great, the Hunger Dogs are cool but I think this is headed to the drop list for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.