Interview: James Robinson Reveals DC's Latest LGBT Character

#301 Edited by DP812 (91 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmisanthrope said:

@DP812:

Did you seriously just assert that anyone who doesn't like this change "should not breed" as if opinions are passed on genetically?

The irony of every stupid word you just posted is hilarious.

The assertion that this is just completely normal, and every comic should have gay characters is completely illogical too. Homosexuals represent 2-4% of the population, yet in a cheap attempt to draw in the lowest, most base audience -not homosexuals themselves as again, only 2-4% of the population, but the female neckbeard autists who populate the social justice circlejerk communities on Tumblr posting two-frame gifs of Mass Effect, Doctor Who and actor interviews with the male cast of Avengers.

Congratulations, you''ve just managed to perfectly express irony.

#302 Posted by DP812 (91 posts) - - Show Bio

@GrandHarrier said:

@DP812: To be fair, DC claimed the new 52 was a relaunch, not a reboot. Which, we all know, was a pile of lies. But for many people they accepted this company line, so to suddenly have a character take a literal 180 from who and what he is, can be extremely disconcerting. I, personally, think its a stupid move. Rather than introduce a new character and make us like him (like Bunker, I've grown to enjoy him in Teen Titans), Mr. Robinson fundamentally changes an iconic character.

Would people be OK if DC suddenly changed Batwoman to be straight (again, like she was originally). Would it be accepted and celebrated, or decried? If people would take offense to it, why are we unable to take offense to this change?

You're arguing semantics in regards to the relaunch/reboot. Fact of the matter is, the majority of DC's characters HAVE been completely rebooted.

Is Alan Scott still a powerful guy? Yes.

Is he still a Green Lantern? Yes.

Is he still a great hero? Yes.

Is he still a leader the rest of the JSA looks up to? Yes.

Way I see it, the fact that he now sleeps with men instead of women is hardly a literal 180 from who and what he is. His sexuality is not nor has it ever been a defining character trait.

If Alan had been turned into a gay stereotype who spoke with a lisp and made bad jokes like, "I'm the biggest FLAMER around!" then you'd be justified in making the literal 180 shift claim. That's not what's happened, so your complaint seems to be based more on your own personal homophobia than anything else.

#303 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

Does a characters sexuality really matter? I applaud that DC is getting more diverse but it feels like they want praise for doing this. With the whole Northstar marriage thing you have a sense of progression to the next step (controversial or not). My real stance though is keep comics comics don't try to turn them into romantic novellas with pictures.

#304 Posted by THEBlaqueBasterd (384 posts) - - Show Bio

@DP812: bawwwwhahahahah..... this!!

-_-

#305 Posted by THEBlaqueBasterd (384 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the reason this "scares" some ppl (shitty choice of word..disgusts is more accurate if a little offensive).. is the commonality.. when we read comics we like to relate.. now as it happens the vast majority of comic readers are heterosexual 20 -25 yr old men with varying degrees of ignorance intelligence &tolerance.. who wether theyll admit it or not will have varying opinions on homosexuality ignorant or otherwise.. being forced fed a certain characters sexuality is bound to have an adverse effect if they then realise theyre nolonger comfortable imagining themselves in their heroes shoes... so to speak..

#306 Posted by AskaniSon295 (427 posts) - - Show Bio

Aren't all comicbook characters alternate reality characters. I mean if your primary exposure to Superman was the Smallville t.v. show would not new52 superman be an alternative reality character. Everyone has there own Earth-Prime or simply put the earth/univerese in which they currently enjoy the most, Right Now mines ImageComics90'sEarth/Universe Tommorrow it will Be Earth-1 of the Dc Universe.

#307 Posted by DP812 (91 posts) - - Show Bio

@gravitypress said:

Does a characters sexuality really matter? I applaud that DC is getting more diverse but it feels like they want praise for doing this. With the whole Northstar marriage thing you have a sense of progression to the next step (controversial or not). My real stance though is keep comics comics don't try to turn them into romantic novellas with pictures.

I doubt Robinson did this for praise. He's just trying to add more diversity in his cast. It seems to be that it's the media making more of an issue about this than DC.

#308 Posted by cbadalucco (3 posts) - - Show Bio

This is fucking lame! Alan was such a cool character and now they killed him!

#309 Posted by Vance Astro (91234 posts) - - Show Bio
@cbadalucco said:

This is fucking lame! Alan was such a cool character and now they killed him!

Please do not use profanity on these forums. Thank You.
#310 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbadalucco said:

This is f****ng lame! Alan was such a cool character and now they killed him!

How does this kill him?

#311 Posted by KidSupreme (829 posts) - - Show Bio

This was a good issue!

#312 Posted by sohanlon07 (51 posts) - - Show Bio

After listening to your podcast last week I picked up the first few issues of Earth 2 and it is one of the best of the New 52. Absolutely love it. Such depth of character and great to see new heroes taking centre stage. I can't wait until the next issue. Robinson is a great writer.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.