No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

The Good

One thing that Robinson is very good at is setting up a story and background that will engage his readers: he does that here very eloquently from the start of the issue, opening up the story with the background on Waton's character. Readers learn rely on that Waton has lived many lives, but that each reincarnation of himself (or rather, herself) has suffered and been punished. He has had to live with "a skin like no other" like the "mark of Cain."

There's a really great moment shared between the Flash and Khalid where Flash demonstrates just how courageous he has to be, not because he is, but because his Mother is in danger. It is a very touching moment that says a lot about Earth 2 Flash's character: it clearly depicts just what kind of person he is to the reader, and Robinson does this without getting too wordy. The issue is very cleverly organized. As soon as we see a climactic moment featuring Jay Garrick, Robinson shifts gears and takes us back to Steppenwolf. This was absolutely perfect. If there is any moment that will keep you at the edge of your seat, this is it.

One character that I have always adored has been Big Barda, and to see her here in this issue is such a wonderful surprise. The way that she and Mister Miracle are introduced into this Earth 2 universe is perfect: it is in passing, and Robinson lets the artist tell readers for him rather than spelling things out. Not only that, but he establishes a rivalry from the get-go and plants the seeds for more exciting moments in the future. This moment and the one prior give readers back to back excitement making this one of the most exciting issues in this series so far, simply because of Robinson's ability to set up an interesting story.

The dialogue between Fate and Khalid might very well be the highlight of this issue. The eloquence of Nabu's words just lure readers in, sucking them into the story. Robinson outlines the scene beautifully, but also hints at Khalid's motives for wanting the helmet at all. The result is a gradual climax leading up to a truly fantastic moment.

The Bad

Nothing really bad about this issue. I personally found this to be a nearly perfectly executed Superhero book.

The Verdict

Everything from Nicola Scott's art to Robinson's dialogue is magnificent in this issue. The story is organized in a way that will keep you turning pages, and leave you disappointed when you realize you've reached the end and have to wait another month for the next installment. Robinson does his best to ensure that he gives readers just a taste of all that is to come, and the result is pretty exciting. This is definitely one of the better issues in this series thanks to the way it is organized and the climactic moments that therein. I am definitely excited to see what Robinson has in store for us in the next issue.

mightypug78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

hooray, i had the comic book store put away ishes of each new earth 2 ish for me every month. cant wait to go back and pick it up!

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This review makes me very happy!

NaffyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NaffyDuck

Was really a great issue, seeing Mr. Miracle and Big Barda got me excited for where this book is going and Khalid finally accepting his fate was well done. This still continues to be one of the best New 52 titles.

Shipster360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i just dropped this series!! guess i have to pick it up again.

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Mr.Miracle REALLY needs a costume redesign!

JairamGanpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

James will be happy to hear you liked it. :)
    I'm enjoying the series as well.

Avatar image for avengers_4everxx
    Avengers_4everXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

L-O-V-E-D LOVED IT. I love this series so much. It never ceases to amaze me that in one book Robinson is crafting a more interesting and more compelling new universe than mainstream DC is managing in with 51 books.

I also really appreciated the wrap around cover not being spoiled. I loved the surprise of seeing the inside cover!

Avatar image for teamunitednerds
    TeamUnitedNerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By TeamUnitedNerds

Ah, this is written by James Robinson, isn't it? I should pick this up

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

I'm surprised you liked it. I usually love this book, but this arc just isn't doing it for me. Could just be my lack of interest in Nabu. This arc just feels like it isn't as worldly as the rest of the book. It is more contained. It is almost like this is a Doctor Fate book rather then an Earth-2 book and I haven't really felt that way throughout this entire series. That doesn't go to say I thought this was a bad issue. It was -- different. I don't know if I would have given this a five, but each of us our own.

bob808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Great issue

Power_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Power_Guy

This book continues to be my favorite every month. Robinson has rebooted his group of characters in the right way. Keeping the core elements and visibility while modernizing and freshening things up.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

IS James Coming to the podcast this friday?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the best series from DC right now

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

O_O I am now uber excited for this issue, I read the preview and was upset it was just a preview. I get this issue either next saturday or the following monday T___T

This series was probably my favorite thing to come out of the New 52.

I'm sure James is very happy with this review. ^____^

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#15 inferiorego  Staff

I'm surprised you liked it. I usually love this book, but this arc just isn't doing it for me. Could just be my lack of interest in Nabu. This arc just feels like it isn't as worldly as the rest of the book. It is more contained. It is almost like this is a Doctor Fate book rather then an Earth-2 book and I haven't really felt that way throughout this entire series. That doesn't go to say I thought this was a bad issue. It was -- different. I don't know if I would have given this a five, but each of us our own.

I really don't like this arc myself.

cobra88king8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised but it seems like all of the New Genesis characters aren't getting major costume redesigns thus far. I wonder if it's intentional. Other than my own personal dislike of both Mr. Miracle's and Barda's costumes fantastic issue

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Favorite issue this week really good.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By doordoor123

@doordoor123 said:

Is it me or does it seem like it is slower then this book usually is?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#19 inferiorego  Staff

@inferiorego said:

@doordoor123 said:

Is it me or does it seem like it is slower then this book usually is?

It's this storyline. There's a lot of newer concepts being tossed about that need explanation, so we're seeing a lot of people standing around talking.

LemmyCaution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5-Stars vs. The Bad of "Nearly Perfectly"

Sara, I have a feeling James will only be able to focus in on the word "nearly" on the next podcast. It'll be great!! :)

SolthesunGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I loved this. My personal highlight was the Wotan and Mrs Garrick conversation. I think conceptually Wotan is very interesting. I want to find out more about that character and Mrs Garrick is just in general awesome.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BR_Havoc

I was not really feeling this book when it started it was pretty slow moving and I found the first story to be rather underwhelming but Barda and Mr Miracle are some of my favorites so I might have to pick the book up again. Has it been getting better from the first storyline with Grundy?

SwampPing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 26

#23  Edited By SwampPing

This was such a f***ing great issue!

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

I was bummed how quickly this issue went by. It was awesome. I felt like Jay's mom would have been more afraid. But i realize that i'm basing that off of nothing considering we don't know much about her character.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Great issue, still keeps up the standard.

@babs hate to point it out, but it's Wotan :)

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great issue, still keeps up the standard.

@babs hate to point it out, but it's Wotan :)

this lol

but this issue is really great and that last page is awesome. also this book has made jay garrick one of my favorite characters.

ForeverMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ForeverMan

Can't wait to grab this! So stoked my two favorite characters are coming back in IMO DC's best book right now.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

Never really thought much of this series mainly because I don't like dealing with 2 DC universes and the new Alan Scott. However seeing this book as been praised by so many and Dr. Fate is on the cover I just might pick it up.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was fantastic!!! The story,the art,all incredible,the introduction of dr.fate!! That scene alonre was enough for me to give this 5 stars,JR really did it on this one. Hope he's here for the next podcast.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@babs It's Wotan Sara!

This series has been very up and down imo, the first arc was amazing the second was average-bad now its getting better again.

TitanTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I like what Robinson is doing with Earth 2. It feels like the world has a cohesive vision, unlike the main Earth has sometimes. I also like the characters that have been allowed in Earth 2, they feel like they all could have great future interactions. This is my favorite book, and the one I look forward too the most.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I like how Doctor Fate looks on the cover. I need to do some serious catching up with this title.

Avatar image for dontbelievethehyperion
    dontbelievethehyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing issue! I can't believe they're dropping Mister Miracle into Earth 2 but I love it.

I hope they can keep the Robinson/Scott team together for the long term.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

These last few issues have been a little heavy on the talky side. The Nabu stuff isn't really all that exciting for me but the other developments are cool.

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's great seeing Mr. Miracle back in the fold. A great idea to re-introduce him in this series. Robinson is doing a really good job at "world building" this universe. Some issues a little slow at times, but the execution of the stories is what keeps me coming back every month. And Scott's artwork is breathtaking as usual.

AWeekInGeekdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Earth 2 has made a fan of Dr. Fate, I absolutely cannot wait for the next issue :) !! That last page was badass btw, fantastic art.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.