circularlogic's Earth 2 #1 - The Price of Victory review

Seconds the best

I don't know what I was expecting when I first heard of Earth 2. Actually, scratch that. I thought it would be basically the basic DCU with a few cast changes and a bit of creative liberty. What drew me in was where this creativity could go.

And man, did it go places.

Let;s compare it to the obvious: JLA. Now, I say this without an ounce of Hyperbole, this one issue delivered more than the first arc of Justice League of America. I am not joking.

One thing it had was weight, a feeling that stakes were high and a sense of drama about what could happen and what it could mean for this newly explored world, something JLA lacked. Obviously, this is done through no fault of JLA itself, but the liberty of a title free of continuity really allowed James Robinson to go hog wild, and helped deliver a truly emotional story, with characters we actually managed to care about in less than 20 pages, which gave the twist so much more impact, and let's face it, JLA trusted it's readers to care about it's iconic characters beforehand, and therefore didn't do too much to get us invested. Not only that, I found the art to be quite superior, which is hard to do when competing with Jim Lee.

But enough bashing JLA, let's look at what it does to set it apart.

First, the new superheros in the story, Alan Scott and Jay Garrick, are introduced in a way that doesn't expect you to just instinctively know who they are. there not in costume yet, they have yet to go through their origin. Giving them this chance to grow on us is smart, if nothing special, but it's really done quite well. They're already made into likable characters, so I'm immediately interested in their stories, but still obviously have room to grow.

I also love the little details. Wonder Woman seems to follow the Roman gods, not the Greeks, and it seems her mythology might tie into another hero, which is clever. Seeds for the future are also sown, though if I have one gripe at all with this issue is that I dislike the name Steppenwolf, it get's born to be wild stuck in my head.

I really liked this issue. It's basically JLA, but without the usual flaws and ticks and habits Geoff Johns has in his writing, and wonderfully helps set up, and set apart, this world. If it continues like this, I am going to be a happy comic fan.

Posted by AirDave817

If only Geoff Johns had had the kind of blank, clean slate that James Robinson seems to have had.

Posted by JonesDeini

Generally I've heard this book shat upon JLA and was how it should've been done. I disagree about Robinson having my freedom with continuity. I think his book more than most in the New 52 had a dedicated core of fans highly invested in the JSA continuity. Also Johns had the same opportunity to do something interesting and weighty with the JLA in their introduction...instead he did a comic version of the script for the first New 52 JLA film directed by Michael Bay.

Posted by CircularLogic

@JonesDeini: I'd argue about how people might feel about the JSA. besides the fact that it was removed from continuity for quite a few years after the crisis, then made a part of earth one, then again separated when the multiverse was brought back, etc. etc., it's hard to really say that fans will get too upset over another huge change like this after a reboot. Then again I'm sure some people did love these characters and might miss the chance to see the earth 2 incarnations of the big 3, but at least they went out in a dignified way.

Posted by The Mighty Monarch

@JonesDeini said:

I agree that Johns had the opportunity to reshape amazingly and shat out shit that only reshaped in stupid ways.... But I personally have very little history with the JSA. Alan Scott's decently interesting to me, Jay Garrick always seemed to have a stupid costume....

The thing is, this story starts out the same. Its Johns' first arc seen through a different lens. And overall it's SIGNIFICANTLY better written. It only gets compared so closely because it depicts events that match up (which works.) However, I don't think JL should've gone down like this; but it should've been WRITTEN THIS WELL.

Posted by Suprman

@JonesDeini: instead he did a comic version of the script for the first New 52 JLA film directed by Michael Bay.

I don't think the New 52 JLA film was directed by Michael Bay, I thought it was directed by J.J Abrams. Better than Bay but not as good as Joss Whedon.

Posted by JonesDeini

@Suprman said:

I'm not trying to step on your joke, but are you making one?

Posted by Suprman

@JonesDeini: I'm not trying to step on your joke, but are you making one?

Not trying to make a joke, I just disagree with your Michael Bay comment that's all.