Follow

Dynamite Entertainment

Publisher »

Indy publisher founded in 2005 of such comics as Red Sonja, Project SuperPowers, The Boys and Army of Darkness. Many of their titles are adaptations or revivals of prevously existing properties

Atari and Dynamite Ink Publishing Deal

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

Dynamite is very proud to announce a collaborative publishing agreement with Atari®, one of the world's most recognized publishers and producers of interactive entertainment. The deal includes rights for a comprehensive retrospective hardcover book, collecting game production and concept artwork, photos, behind-the-scenes info, marketing art, other details on the company and its games, and interviews with key people involved in Atari's rich history. The deal also includes the right to create original comics and graphic novels in all sizes, as well as reprint existing comic material.

"We are excited to be teaming up with Dynamite Entertainment to bring a modern twist to a classic series of comics and table top books that are rich with historic art," said Fred Chesnais, Chief Executive Officer, Atari, Inc. "Atari's roots in the comic book world and iconic art is a collector and video game enthusiast's dream. Our partnership is a fun way to expose our brand to a new generation and resonate with our long-time fans."

Atari was originally founded in 1972 and was a pioneer in arcade games and home video game consoles. The company's products, such as Pong® and the Atari 2600 helped define the electronic entertainment industry from the 1970s to the mid-1980s, and beyond.

"Atari is a touchstone for so many people," says Dynamite Director of Business Development Rich Young. "Their games and game system exposed a lot of folks to video games for the first time…and frankly, got them hooked! I have fond memories of playing games on the 2600 with friends growing up, and am quite happy that we have a chance to work with Atari on this publishing program."

No Caption Provided

In addition to the hardcover retrospective art book, Dynamite has plans to create new comics based on a select list of Atari properties that help reimagine games with new story and art from some of today's best creators. The list includes Asteroids®, Centipede®, Crystal Castles®, Missile Command®, Tempest®, Yar's Revenge®, and more. Dynamite also plans to reprint existing comics material, such as the Atari Force comics that were originally published from 1982-1986 and featured well known and impressive talent such as Gerry Conway, Roy Thomas, Ross Andru, Gil Kane, Dick Giordano, Mike DeCarlo, Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez, Eduardo Barreto, and Mike Baron.

Dynamite Entertainment's Atari's art book, comic books, and graphic novels will be available to consumers through the comic book specialty market, and the graphic novel collection will be available at major bookstore chains, online booksellers, and independent bookstores courtesy of Diamond Book Distributors. Atari comics will also be available for purchase through digital platforms courtesy of Comixology, Dynamite Digital, iVerse, and Dark Horse Digital. Fans and retailers are encouraged to follow Dynamite Entertainment and Atari's official social media channel for the latest updates regarding creative teams and release dates.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

Sure why not.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Atari force here we come!

Moufino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

This sounds like a good idea actually :I

mechwalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Oddly enough I have always wanted a Yar's Revenge comic.

Dredd_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was a huge fan of Atari Force back then. At the same time I was selling off all my Atari game cartridges at the flea market to buy comics at the LCS nearby.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

A comic about games like asteroid and missile command sounds sweet. I always wondered why you had to shoot all those asteroids and who exactly was bombing you. Although I can't imagine you could get too long of a series or of them.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah Dynamite, the publisher who loves to get rights to properties, make comics about them for a year, then forget them.

Avatar image for ramsillustrations
    RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfuzzynutz: Hey man, glad to see you are still around. haven't seen any new art from you. At least that I am aware of...

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@ramsillustrations: Yeah, still around. Things have been interesting since you last "seen" me. Had some medical and mental issues to address, but keep an eye out as I will be jumping back into the flow pretty soon

Avatar image for ramsillustrations
    RamsIllustrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfuzzynutz:

Yeah, I remember you where at a low point. Glad you bounced back, see u soon with some new art on the artists forum!

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#13  Edited By The Impersonator

Oh great. First, Hollywood makes movies out of games. Now this...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.