grifter78's DV8: Gods and Monsters #5 - The Beautiful People review

The goddess and the beast

We’re almost done with the re-introduction of the Dv8 gang.   It was apparent from the start that this was what Wood was going to do.   For the most part, I think he’s done a good job of it.   However, I’ve felt some of the re-introductions have been stronger than others.

Here we focus on Sublime and Evo.   It’s interesting that Wood decided to put these two in an issue together but if he hadn’t, all eight issues of this series would’ve been taken up by a character.   As it stands, it seems that only the last issue will focus on all of them (I realize issue 1 did, but it used Copycat as the main character to do it).   Fiona Staples’ beautiful cover is a perfect summary of this issue concerning these two characters.   I don’t remember too much about either character so it was nice to focus on them a little.   Although, I think ultimately Sublime gets more of a focus than Evo.

I don’t know why, but some of these issues seem to read really fast.   It’s true again with this one.   It’s got a similar structure to the others in that we see (these are not spoilers) how Sublime got hooked up with her tribe and Evo too.   We get a nice showcase and explanation of both of their powers.   And we get some good character moments during the majority of the issue.   It leads to a conflict at the end that I was expecting but I will say I’m glad it was not resolved by the end of the issue.   Instead, it leads us to a pretty good cliffhanger that I think will help Sublime and Evo’s story feel like it didn’t all get forced into this issue.

I can’t end this review without talking about Rebekah Isaac’s art.   She is such a solid artist.   She’s proven with each issue that she is not going to shortcut her way through any of this (except for her issues with The Carrier, we forgive you Rebekah :), for more on what I’m talking about see our interview with her in Episode 2).   I hardly ever mention any of the other people on this book but I think colorist Carrie Strachan deserves a big shout out too for helping bring Rebekah’s art to life.   I especially love the scenes at night we’ve seen so far.   They’ve got such a cool look to them.

Overall, I like the structure of this story but I’m starting to get the feeling that we might have benefited from a few more issues to this series.   Obviously I won’t know for sure until it’s over but so far, we are definitely focusing on Freestyle next issue (based on the cover image).   So regardless, I’m just happy that we’ve got these characters up on the stands again and that there are taking part in a great story.