Dust's name....

#1 Posted by papad1992 (6793 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been reading Dust since she was first introduced back in New X-Men but I've always wondered about her name. So I'm not taking her name literally but why wasn't she called Sand instead of Dust? It only makes more sense. I'm mean she transforms into a cloud(s) of sand particles so my question is: Why is she named Dust? Can she transform into dust as well?

#2 Posted by Phylos (2675 posts) - - Show Bio

You know I've always wondered the same thing. Although, Marvel probably didn't want to doom her and give a predictable/common name that is associated with sand. Some examples:

• Sandman [sandwoman would of sounded horrible]
  • Quicksand
  • Sandstorm

etc etc. I suppose that 'Dust' sounds more subtle and less over the top.

#3 Posted by Outside_85 (10312 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasnt the background that it was the word she first spoke to the X-Men after she had been hiding in their base for sometime was: Turaab which means both sand and/or dust in arabic. Could also have something to do with how fine the particles are in her dust form or just a local distinction from her hometown between sand and dust.

This could also be why:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_Bowl

#4 Posted by papad1992 (6793 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85 said:

Wasnt the background that it was the word she first spoke to the X-Men after she had been hiding in their base for sometime was: Turaab which means both sand and/or dust in arabic. Could also have something to do with how fine the particles are in her dust form or just a local distinction from her hometown between sand and dust.

This could also be why:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_Bowl

Very citable information... :P

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.