Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance Begins Filming

• 68 results
Posted by inferiorego (21239 posts) - - Show Bio
Coventry Telegraph recently reported on the newest developments of the new Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance film. Not only is the film in production, but there's a release date for the film, and it's going to be presented in three dimensions!

Columbia Pictures has officially announced the release date for the upcoming Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance film, starring Nicolas Cage returning as Johnny Blaze. The film will be released on February 17th, in 2012. Luckily, the film will also be in 3D. That's right, 2D is for chumps. 

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance has already started filming in Romania, but sadly, the love interest from the first film, Eva Mendes, will not be returning for this sequel. Considering this film takes place eight years after the first one. Who will Johnny Blaze eat jelly beans with? Who?
 == TEASER ==
If you've seen the first film, then you're probably not expecting too much from this sequel. So, bringing in the Crank directors and the writers of FlashForward could raise the bar for this film, especially when the script is based off of one originally written by David Goyer (Batman Begins, Dark Knight). Most people aren't expecting too much of this film. Hopefully we'll get something cool. But what cool things can a person do with a sequel to Ghost Rider? Is Nicolas Cage really right for the part? Sure, he was funny in the first film (unintentionally), but he wasn't great by any means. In my opinion, this character needs a reboot and it would work a little better with a "R rating." Sure, the production company would be losing money, but wouldn't this film work a little better as more of a horror/action film?

And while we're at it, 3D? Why? It's a gimmick, and a gimmick that misses the mark 90% of the time. How many times do you think we're going to see Ghost Rider's chain fly at the audience? I'm guessing four. I know a lot of people like 3D films, I'm not one of them, but I feel that when you focus on that, you lose site of something else, whether it be story, character, or even visual effects. Well, we'll all find out soon enough as Ghost Rider opens up in February, 2012.
Staff
#1 Posted by Duncan (11440 posts) - - Show Bio

Off course its in 3D. *sigh

#2 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Ah yes, 3D. Where sequels go to die!

#3 Posted by shawn87 (2095 posts) - - Show Bio

i really hope this movie will be good

#4 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (884 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:
" Ah yes, 3D. Where sequels go to die! "
Pretty sure this sequel didn't need 3D to help it die at all.
#5 Posted by Britt601 (456 posts) - - Show Bio

No More 3-D movies!!!! I get lost into the same repeating special effects rather than focus on the plot of the story.
 I still think that a better actor could have been cast rather than Cage. He just doesn't embody Johhny Blaze. Cage's character portrayal seems too laid-back and dopey to me.
#6 Posted by Tyler Starke (4410 posts) - - Show Bio

I also hate the ever living crap out of 3D, damn this day is filled with sad news, first i hear that cowboy bebop is dead and the next thing i read is that they are already filming a ghost rider sequel, WHY!!!!!!!!!!! is this happening?

#7 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@fenixREVOLUTION said:
" @Gambit1024 said:
Pretty sure this sequel didn't need 3D to help it die at all. "
True, but it certainly won't help it. I personally hope this movie fails more than both FF's combined. 
#8 Posted by the referee (2533 posts) - - Show Bio

3D is great for Disney animated films, but not for Ghost Rider, Too much of the story will be ruined with attempts to point and throw thing into the camera rather than adding to a story line.

Any words on a villain????

#9 Posted by countvontrey (419 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow! This is going to be the best thing since The Dark Knight! OMG! 

jk

#10 Posted by ateygheyev (93 posts) - - Show Bio

Aww, man.  See, this is why people don't like comic book movies.  The first one was so boring, I walked out of it to watch Reno 911: Miami.  Yeah.  That bad.

#11 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8895 posts) - - Show Bio

Every movie is in 3D these days. 

#12 Posted by GT-Man (4054 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG this is going to be sweet :D
#13 Posted by nowhereman1306 (39 posts) - - Show Bio

"Sure, the production company would be losing money, but wouldn't this film work a little better as more of a horror/action film?"

It WOULD. But unfortunately the movie industry isn't looking for the approval of fanboys as much as it is looking to make money.

#14 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

Yay! 3D! hits head in the wall

#15 Posted by countvontrey (419 posts) - - Show Bio
@nowhereman1306 said:
" "Sure, the production company would be losing money, but wouldn't this film work a little better as more of a horror/action film?"  It WOULD. But unfortunately the movie industry isn't looking for the approval of fanboys as much as it is looking to make money. "
my fanboy heart is crushed....
#16 Posted by roxamilli (184 posts) - - Show Bio

nick cage = immediate no
#17 Posted by Motorbreath (4 posts) - - Show Bio

The first one wasn't so big as I expected, so I hope this one will be better! However I liked the acting of Cage!

#18 Posted by The Impersonator (5054 posts) - - Show Bio

What's up with Hollywood these days? Always 3D. Geez. We don't need 3D ok. 3D only comes in animated movies like Avatar, which is fine. But seriously in live-action? 

I thought this movie will be a reboot and now it's a sequel? WTH? I think there should be a different actor who is right to play Johnny Blaze. Cage sucked as this character.
#19 Posted by spider-man 2996 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet

#20 Posted by blade hunter (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

Should of done a re-boot with danny ketch and used the story from the first 10-12 issues from the 90's.

#21 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Just no. 

Should have used Danny Ketch. 

#22 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

" Spirt of Vengance? "
Where Have I Heard that Before...

#23 Posted by Joshthetwinkie (32 posts) - - Show Bio
@blade hunter: Just what I was thinkin. 
These new movie is going to be on the  same stupidity as the spirit movie but in 3-d.
#24 Posted by Mizu_pl (60 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/
The first thing I thought after reading this...

#25 Posted by conformist21 (413 posts) - - Show Bio

i can't recall any movie that has been at least a little good released in february,
i know of some jan, some march and aprils, but never febrary,
got no hope

#26 Posted by BKole (497 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh Good. 

Nic Cage. As Ghost Rider. In 3D. 

Time to start punching myself in the genitals.

#27 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio
@BKole said:
" Oh Good.  Nic Cage. As Ghost Rider. In 3D.  Time to start punching myself in the genitals. "
Yeah, before Nic Cage's flamin' head starts, first.
#28 Posted by Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! (2569 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:
The first movie's already deader than my great-great-great grandfather.
#29 Posted by stimpy1208 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care what anyone else thinks I liked the first movie.  Seems like you can't please any of these guys all they do is find something whine about.  I'll  see the next one no matter what.  

#30 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!: I meant in general. The first one sucked, and I could only imagine just how horrible the next one's gonna be. 
#31 Posted by Grouchy224 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh, really? Nick Cage? Ugh...worst actor EVER.

#32 Posted by ckal (1097 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:
February, also where movies go to die.
#33 Posted by Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! (2569 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024: It might be better than the first. They've got the FF guys..........
If this isn't better than the first; we should all send hate mail to columbia/Fox or whatever and make them revert it to MS.
#34 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!: I'd love nothing more than to give FOX and Sony a piece of my mind, but all the hate mail in the world won't save the franchises. As long as they make money, they don't give a flyin f%ck about the fans. I vote that we just boycott it. No point in giving the "big studios" more money to kill our comic book characters. 
#35 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio
@ckal said:
" @Gambit1024 said:
February, also where movies go to die. "
quoted for truth...lol
#36 Posted by Secret Identity (223 posts) - - Show Bio

If they film it in 3D it could work. (There are only a very small number of 3D films actually filmed in 3D rather than 3D effects being added afterwards. (Avatar being the example of how 3D can look very nice(even though the film itself was sub-par (I thought)))). Not bothered if it's in 3D or not so long as the price of watching it isn't £10 ($15) like it is at the moment. I am boycotting 3D until the cost of watching it is more reasonable and I would like to see this as I'm sure it will be entertaining (even if it might be rubbish).

#37 Posted by Mumbles (846 posts) - - Show Bio

good grief...

#38 Posted by greenenvy (634 posts) - - Show Bio

I swear to god this better be better because ghost rider deserves so much bad assery you know. don't let me down  Nick,  dark and gritty like where watching a true biker from hell not a Halloween spoof. This kinda should of been rated R first of all but I liked spawn a lot and it was PG 13 so this still has hope plus the  first one was successful surprisingly. 

#39 Posted by Incredible Hulk-Prime (1466 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care what you people think, I like the first movie, and I'm ready to see this one. You guys are babies, always crying when you don't get your way. If you don't like the movie, don't go see it.

#40 Edited by NowSayPillow (22 posts) - - Show Bio
@Incredible Hulk-Prime:  Catch-22. How can you know whether or not you like the movie unless you go see it?
#41 Posted by Psycorvus (69 posts) - - Show Bio

The first one totally did suck... lets not get in to it... We need an R rating and we need a more action first, broody kind of character as Blaze is often depicted not odd ball slcaker... I mean seriously it was like Seth Rogen was playing Johnny Blaze in the last movie! Give me some cool fight scenes that last longer than a minute and a half, give me a bad ass character and give me whiskey instead of freeking jelly beans and we'll be on the right track at least. 

Totally not fussed about the 3D either... Have it, don't have it I don't care
#42 Posted by anarchcorp (44 posts) - - Show Bio

Not only is a sequel to Ghost Rider happening but..it's gonna be in 3D too. 

That's bad, that's bad in more than 3 dimensions, that's bad in all dimensions known to man and even those we don't know yet.

#43 Posted by skullduggery pleasant (54 posts) - - Show Bio

i get enough 3-D in a little thing called real life.

#44 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

Movies have been going crazy over 3D ever since Avatar.

#45 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

PLEASE GIVE THE MONSTERS A CHANCE TO FIGHT BACK!!!!!!!!!! 

Also!  Don't hug on the CGI just for Ghost Rider! 

THIS IS BLACKHEART!!!!!!!

Blackheart

#46 Posted by Overlander (430 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel's insistence to continue in the same run of GR is symptomatic of an inability to overcome what made past projects fail.

#47 Posted by Danial79 (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

Why so many 3D haters? Of course it's a gimmick at the moment, because it's new. Once it's an established film-making technique, no one will even be thinking about it, and then in the future we'll all be sitting there at the old-people's home telling our grandkids, "Back in my day, films were only in 2D", to which they'll respond with awe and disbelief!

#48 Posted by Grouchy224 (25 posts) - - Show Bio
@Danial79: But 3D's already BEEN popular. In the 80's. It disappeared for 20+ years for a reason.
#49 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, a Ghost Rider movie NEEDS to be rated R. Same goes for Wolverine. If you want to pander to the kids in the afternoon audience, make a freaking cartoon. 

Did you know that, back when The Sopranos was first being developed, they actually considered running it on TBS? Can you even imagine how horrible that would have been? That's how I feel when I see gritty comic characters getting "cleaned up" to make them more family friendly. 

I realize that it all comes down to the bottom line in Hollywood, but surely there's somebody who recognizes the value of making a movie that the true fans will love, as opposed to one that a "broader" audience will merely be ambivalent about.

#50 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@Danial79: 
from the people i've talked to around here, quite a few of us, myself included can't physically watch 
3-d movies. its kind of unfair. it would be like if public places got rid of their wheelchair accessible
ramps because they thought it made the building look better.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.