Ghost Rider sequel?

#1 Posted by Nighthunter (28578 posts) - - Show Bio
September 3, 2008 - IGN Movies participated in a conference call today with Nicolas Cage for his upcoming action-thriller
#2 Posted by G-Man (30304 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard about this a few days ago.  I know I should've maybe put it in the news but 1) I'm not sure if people read my news since there's not many comments and 2) I wasn't sure how many people would care.  I still haven't seen GR and wasn't sure what the general feeling about it was.  I wish they would've made an R rated version like they did with Blade.

Staff
#3 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

God no!.......

#4 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio

Is there anyway they can make this not suck with Nicolas Cage?

Regardless, I still plan on seeing it

#5 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio

Get it right this time!!!!

i enjoyed parts of the first but the storyline was weak.

#6 Posted by crazy spidey (3489 posts) - - Show Bio

nicolas cage hasnt been good since he worked with david Lynch, someone should just tell him its time to retire

#7 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio

lol

#8 Posted by Bio Guyver (6842 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still psyche if there will be a GR sequel. I enjoyed the first movie, in my opinion. I just think Blaze's "stupidity and knack of making  wrong decisions" should be more similar as in the comics.  Though it was pretty funny how Cage interperted the character in a different fashion, it was interesting.

#9 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed.

#10 Posted by Dormath (2398 posts) - - Show Bio
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
#11 Posted by crazy spidey (3489 posts) - - Show Bio
Bio Guyver said:
"I'm still psyche if there will be a GR sequel. I enjoyed the first movie, in my opinion. I just think Blaze's "stupidity and knack of making  wrong decisions" should be more similar as in the comics.  Though it was pretty funny how Cage interperted the character in a different fashion, it was interesting."
wat are you on. He didnt interpret anything, all he did was read the script. That was some really bad acting. specially wen he actually was ghost rider. Go see iron man or batman or something to see how to make a superhero believable
#12 Posted by Bio Guyver (6842 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah he did, he acted kinda dumb. Too dumb. Instead of playing the typical "tough guy" figure, he did something a bit different. And in all, it's just an opinion.

#13 Posted by crazy spidey (3489 posts) - - Show Bio
Bio Guyver said:
"Yeah he did, he acted kinda dumb. Too dumb. Instead of playing the typical "tough guy" figure, he did something a bit different. And in all, it's just an opinion."
yea, and it sucks
#14 Edited by Bio Guyver (6842 posts) - - Show Bio

Tough guy on the computer aren't we?

#15 Posted by crazy spidey (3489 posts) - - Show Bio

police of the internet

#16 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio

lol

#17 Posted by inferiorego (21112 posts) - - Show Bio
crazy spidey said:
"Bio Guyver said:
"I'm still psyche if there will be a GR sequel. I enjoyed the first movie, in my opinion. I just think Blaze's "stupidity and knack of making  wrong decisions" should be more similar as in the comics.  Though it was pretty funny how Cage interperted the character in a different fashion, it was interesting."
wat are you on. He didnt interpret anything, all he did was read the script. That was some really bad acting. specially wen he actually was ghost rider. Go see iron man or batman or something to see how to make a superhero believable"
And just what are you on sir? Cage's take, and yes it was his take, he made many suggestions during production that lead to changes for Blaze, was completely different than the comic book version. Don't talk about believability when the main character's head is on fire also, you have no argument
Staff
#18 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Marvel sure is bringing out the movies now!

#19 Posted by fesak (7029 posts) - - Show Bio

Ghost Rider had some of the cheesiest one-liners ever, and some the worst acting of Cage ever. I thought people was exaggerating when they said he was bad, but they are not.
And what's this about biking in Europe crap? People wants to see GR fight some classic villains.
It seems like nothing will save this movie now.

#20 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio
fesak said:
"Ghost Rider had some of the cheesiest one-liners ever, and some the worst acting of Cage ever. I thought people was exaggerating when they said he was bad, but they are not.
And what's this about biking in Europe crap? People wants to see GR fight some classic villains.
It seems like nothing will save this movie now."
He's biking in Europe?
#21 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio
Nighthunter said:
"Yes, actually we had a meeting with the studio [Columbia Pictures] about a month, maybe three months ago," said Cage, who played biker-turned-spirit of vengeance Johnny Blaze in the 2007 Marvel Comics screen adaptation. "And we had a nice talk about that character and maybe taking him international... maybe to Europe."

Cage continued, "Go on a motorcycle tour through Europe and he's connected with the Church, if you can believe that. So it sort of has elements to it that are very much in the zeitgeist, like Da Vinci Code and things like that."

#22 Posted by Nighthunter (28578 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that the movie has potential, both DC and Marvel are now actually putting real effort in their movies, Nicolas Cage is a hit or miss actor, when he wants he can be really good but also has had some really bad acting, however I'm willing to give him the benefit of doubt as he seems to kinda understand the character of Ghost Rider and loves him, what this needs is  a better story

#23 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio
Nighthunter said:
"I think that the movie has potential, both DC and Marvel are now actually putting real effort in their movies, Nicolas Cage is a hit or miss actor, when he wants he can be really good but also has had some really bad acting, however I'm willing to give him the benefit of doubt as he seems to kinda understand the character of Ghost Rider and loves him, what this needs is  a better story"
Agreed
#24 Posted by Lady Nightmare (9103 posts) - - Show Bio

i would go see if cage was not playin GR

i dont  like this cage playing tough guys thing

#25 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio
TheDrifter said:
"Nighthunter said:
"Yes, actually we had a meeting with the studio [Columbia Pictures] about a month, maybe three months ago," said Cage, who played biker-turned-spirit of vengeance Johnny Blaze in the 2007 Marvel Comics screen adaptation. "And we had a nice talk about that character and maybe taking him international... maybe to Europe."

Cage continued, "Go on a motorcycle tour through Europe and he's connected with the Church, if you can believe that. So it sort of has elements to it that are very much in the zeitgeist, like Da Vinci Code and things like that."

"
Hopefully not.  Thanks Drift.
#26 Posted by Siphon (1911 posts) - - Show Bio

No this movie was horrible! Period. If they do make another they'd have to do alot of work.

#27 Posted by Nighthunter (28578 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I mean, we can't say that this will be bad or not until hearing more about it

I mean, I heard they are thinking of rebooting the Daredevil franchise, now that every movie Marvel (and for that matter DC) are developing seems to be quite good I don't think why people should close their minds and say that it will suck even before a scrypt is even done

#28 Posted by Siphon (1911 posts) - - Show Bio
Nighthunter said:
"Well I mean, we can't say that this will be bad or not until hearing more about it

I mean, I heard they are thinking of rebooting the Daredevil franchise, now that every movie Marvel (and for that matter DC) are developing seems to be quite good I don't think why people should close their minds and say that it will suck even before a scrypt is even done"
true I mean they did bring back the hulk and the first movie was bad.
#29 Posted by Nighthunter (28578 posts) - - Show Bio
Siphon said:
"Nighthunter said:
"Well I mean, we can't say that this will be bad or not until hearing more about it

I mean, I heard they are thinking of rebooting the Daredevil franchise, now that every movie Marvel (and for that matter DC) are developing seems to be quite good I don't think why people should close their minds and say that it will suck even before a scrypt is even done"
true I mean they did bring back the hulk and the first movie was bad."
correction, it was terrible

A slap in the face for both fans and haters alike
#30 Posted by Siphon (1911 posts) - - Show Bio

wait...are you saying the remake was terrible or the first?

#31 Posted by Nighthunter (28578 posts) - - Show Bio
Siphon said:
"wait...are you saying the remake was terrible or the first?"
the first one, the remake is one of my favorite comic movies, no matter how much I hate Hulk
#32 Posted by Siphon (1911 posts) - - Show Bio

oh okay lol 

#33 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
Nighthunter said:
"Siphon said:
"wait...are you saying the remake was terrible or the first?"
the first one, the remake is one of my favorite comic movies, no matter how much I hate Hulk"
that sounds like me with The Dark Knight :D
#34 Posted by Nighthunter (28578 posts) - - Show Bio
Not if actress Eva Mendes has anything to say about it.  She told MTV, "I think 'Ghost Rider' had its moment.  I don't know about a sequel, but I don't think it needs one.  I think it was a great experience, and I was so proud of it. It was fun ... but I think it's done.  But look, hey, if it's Nicolas Cage again -- I'll do anything with him." 
#35 Posted by The Black Wolf (118 posts) - - Show Bio
Mr. Wilson said:
"

Get it right this time!!!!

i enjoyed parts of the first but the storyline was weak.

"
I'm with the Merc with the mouth.
#36 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

As a direct result of this news, sometime, somewhere, a slumbering baby shuddered and died.

#37 Posted by The Black Wolf (118 posts) - - Show Bio
Nighthunter said:
"I think that the movie has potential, both DC and Marvel are now actually putting real effort in their movies, Nicolas Cage is a hit or miss actor, when he wants he can be really good but also has had some really bad acting, however I'm willing to give him the benefit of doubt as he seems to kinda understand the character of Ghost Rider and loves him, what this needs is  a better story"

DC is lacking the movie department as you know. It's all Batman and Superman. But, Marvel is really trying to bring their movie universe together. I even heard of a Black Panther movie. I forgot who they wanted to play him. But, for some reason that guy face doesn't fit.
#38 Posted by Nighthunter (28578 posts) - - Show Bio
The Black Wolf said:
"Nighthunter said:

DC is lacking the movie department as you know. It's all Batman and Superman. But, Marvel is really trying to bring their movie universe together. I even heard of a Black Panther movie. I forgot who they wanted to play him. But, for some reason that guy face doesn't fit."
someone hasn't been paying atention these last months :p

Spirit and  Watchmen are done

Captain Marvel, Green Arrow and Green Lantern are also in development
#39 Posted by Sheep-Kill (617 posts) - - Show Bio

I say just remake the series like they did with Hulk.  I say focus on the Daniel Ketch Ghost Rider and focus on his revenge on Deathwatch and Blackout like the first 3 issues.  They were the best

#40 Posted by Firestormnuclerman (2097 posts) - - Show Bio

I read a interview that Scarecrow could the main villain in the next movie. Although I think they would be more likely to do a reboot.

#41 Posted by DEADPOOL (2702 posts) - - Show Bio

The first movie had alot of problems, but hopefully they can fix those problems with a sequel.

#42 Posted by King Saturn (223729 posts) - - Show Bio
I would not mine seeing this... I like Ghost Rider ( the comics that is )... I thought the furst movie was actually decent... it could have been better of course... but a Ghost Rider 2 film could be cool
#43 Posted by Sheep-Kill (617 posts) - - Show Bio
King Saturn said:
"I would not mine seeing this... I like Ghost Rider ( the comics that is )... I thought the furst movie was actually decent... it could have been better of course... but a Ghost Rider 2 film could be cool
"
Yeah they should fix it up though.  I Think if they were to do a sequel it should be set up like Spirit of Vengeance and  Early Ghost Rider.
Johnny Blaze goes under another name and is running a circus like in SPV.  His life is somewhat normal at this point despite living with Ghost Rider. however he is having nightterrors of the demon inside of him,Zarathos.  Mephisto is still trying to get at him so he gets his old minion Centerous to go after him.  After a quick battle with him, Mephisto puts an eternal curse on his circus.  He later meets with Caretaker discussing the case about Zarathos, meanwhile his circus in falling in the hands of evil which lead to Ghost Rider fighting with fiends like the Orb and Steel Wind, but more evil like the cursed Werewolf by Night, Manticore, Taddermelon, and even the early Ghost Rider Villian Snake Dance.  After defeating them. He can no longer handle Zarathos trying to break threw and him and Caretaker go in search for the soul crystal to get rid of Zarathos. In order to do that, They must fight Centerous.  After one fail battle, Ghost Rider finds one of his circus friends killed by Steel Wind.  Ghost Rider ends up killing her.  He goes after Centerous again this time, centerous realeases Zarathos from Blaze's body.  Zarathos beats up both Centerous and Blaze.  All of a sudden Mephisto appears over Blaze handing him the soul Crystal. getting the soul crystal and ending up trapping both Zarathos and Centerous inside.  He then gives the crystal to Caretaker to get rid of it.  Blaze the ngoes back to Roxanne.  Years later he has a family with her and running a new circus.  At one point at the end Blaze says to Roxanne that if he ever sees Zarathos escape from the crystal he will kill him.  from a distance Mephisto watches and says "Be careful what you wish for Johnny Blaze, you just might get it."  Meanwhile in Brooklyn Cypress hill cemetary, gun shots are going off.  A teenage boy runs out with men chasing him.  He hides in a junk yard and finds a motorcycle.  He climbs on it to get away from the men but becomes stuck to the bike and his hair catches on fire.(Incase nobody got that, the kid is Danny Ketch.)
#44 Posted by The WeatherMan (3214 posts) - - Show Bio

If they added more action into the movie, then I wouldn't mind seeing it. The first one was like "Woah! Bike is on fire! Riding down the building.... Thats it?" Need more epic brawls. More Eva Mendes wouldn't hurt either :)

#45 Edited by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

The first movie was an abomination.  They butchered what made fans like Johnny Blaze and they butchered one of the most original origins in comics.  What made the origin so good was that Crash Simpson attempted a ridiculously dangerous jump because he had cancer.  He figured he'd either make history or go out in a blaze of glory.  Mephisto's trick was curing Crash's cancer but because Crash didn't realize what had happened, he jumped anyhow and died.  Cancer cured.  Mephisto upheld his end of the deal. 

But in the movie, Bart Blaze (I honestly don't have a huge problem with the Blaze/Simpson switch) shows up just before the jump and goes "Oh hey!  My cancer is cured!" and then commits suicide anyways. :-/

That wasn't the worst part of the movie but I'm just trying to make everyone perfectly aware that the Ghost Rider story has potential and that the makers decided to throw the good stuff out the window and then add bad stuff on top of it.  It was as bad as bad can be.  So bad it crossed into good and then came out the other end back into bad.

The only thing they could do to make a sequel that people would go see is to wait 8 years and do Ketch's story instead.  They have to do what the Hulk remake did: distance your movie from the original.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.