Space Sector: 3550
Sector Partner: ?
Successor: Unknown, possibly unnamed reptiloid
Duel Eknham was first introduced while both halves of its conjoined body were simultaneously strangling two doctors of the Penal Institute of Mental Health on the planet Sedas located in Sector 3550.
Both personalities of this Siamese-like monster are killers; however the left side of Eknham is a brutal animal that relishes in carnage and gore. This barbarity stands in marked contrast to the right side, who favors a more delicate yet just as deadly approach to murder.
During their murderous rampage within the hospital, Duel Eknham is surprised when a Sinestro Corps ring arrives seeking a new bearer able to instill great fear in the universe. Eknham is selected and both sides of the monster bicker over what hand should bear the ring.
The left side immediately used the ring to blast apart inmates and staff with homicidal glee. Eknham's attack is cut short by the arrival of Mongul. Sporting a yellow ring on each finger, Mongul makes Eknham an ultimatum; follow him or suffer the same fate of those Sinestro Corps soldiers who refused him.
Shortly after Mongul's arrival, Green Lanterns Sodam Yat and Arisia arrive at the hospital while on mission to seek out and confiscate as many yellow rings as possible. Surveying the ghastly site of one thousand and twelve dead bodies, the Lanterns noticed both random and precise blast signatures, a sign that both sides of Eknham now possess a yellow ring to better serve Mongul's plans.
Enkham worked impatiently for Mongul, constantly frustrated by Mongul's careful execution of his plan to convert Black Mercy plants into a means of spreading fear throughout the galaxy. When Mongul ambushed and captured a team of Green Lanterns, Enkham tested his masters patience by constantly pleading for an opportunity to kill and torture their captives. Finally fed up with his minions homicidal whining, and needing someone to guard the captives, Mongul created a massive machete and cleaved the twin killers in half. Quickly using his ring to make each twin whole with a half of yellow energy, Mongul ordered the sadistic left side to watch over the Lanterns until they were fully swallowed and digested by the Black Mercy planet. The more reserved right side followed his master into space, where he would assist Mongul in the conquest of his first world.
What Enkham did not know was that Mother Mercy, the sentient master of the planet, had grown tired of Mongul's corruption of her children and allied herself with the captive Lanterns. Appearing to digest her captives, Mother Mercy freed the Lanterns. The left side of Enkham had little time to celebrate his seeming victory as Guy Gardner's arm suddenly emerged from the ground to blast off the lunatics head.
Deep in space, the right side of Duel Enkham was suddenly greeted by the Sinestro Corps ring he had once shared with his left half. The ring barely had time to mount his finger before the right side joined his more blood thirsty brother in death; cut apart by multiple blasts from the pursing Lanterns.
During the Blackest Night, Duel Eknham was ressurected by a black power ring along with many other Fallen Sinestros and became a Black Lantern. He was one of the Black Lanterns, who attacked both the Star Sapphire Corps and the Sinestro Corps , while they were fighting each other at the Battle of Zamaron.
Powers and Abilities
Duel is the wielder of a Sinestro Corps Power Ring. The Ring gives him the ability to do the following things:
- Animating: A Sinestro Lantern can will things to move how he wants. The object moved however is often covered in a yellow aura.
- Artificial Intelligence : Every ring has a connection to the Main Battery on Qward, which taps into Parallax. It acts as an "on-board computer," telling the wearer what they need to know. It can either respond out loud, or silently directly to the wearer's mind. The AI contains a large database of information that may be crucial to a "Sinestro's" success. The ring also translates nearly every language to and from the wearer, which is why the Corps can communicate with each other. When the bearer of a Sinestro Corps ring dies, the ring will seek out a suitable replacement for their sector, someone capable of instilling great fear.
- Communicator: The ring can act as a personal communicator between Sinestro Lanterns. They have also been seen connected to telephones. Weather
- Costumes: The wearer of the ring may create any costume they choose, based on their personal preferences, whenever they choose. The ring projects the costume over any clothes already worn at the time.
- Energy Projection: The rings can also project beams, form protective bubbles and force fields, and fire destructive blasts. Sometimes, depending on the wearer, the beams and blasts make sounds.
- Energy Constructs: The rings can construct anything the wearer can imagine from hard-light energy, as long as they are willing to make it. The more determined the wearer is, the more complex and intricate these things can be. The constructs can even be so complex as to form working machines, computers, and even people.
- Flight: The ring allows the wearer to fly in atmosphere or in space, and can achieve incredible speeds, moving from planet to planet in a matter of hours.
- Invisibility: The Sinestro Corps ring has the ability to make
- Mind Control: The wearer of the Ring can use it to plant post hypnotic commands or control a person.
- Mirages: The Ring can create mirages/illusions.
- Phasing: The ring allows the user to go through walls.
- Power Absorbing: In the JLA's first fight with Amazo, it was GL who defeated him by drawing out all of Amazo's powers. In Green Lantern/Silver Surfer: Unholy Alliances, Kyle defeated Parallax with SS' power and Thanos with Oa's energy by drawing out all that extra energy from them which made them unconscious. However he couldn't hold all that power nor could his Ring like Hal did with Amazo's powers, so that move isn't often used with so much power.
- Probing: The ring can probe the Lantern's or another person's mind, allowing him to uncover memories or the person's thoughts.
- Radiation: Besides light based radiation used to create the energy constructs associated with a Sinestro Corps member or a Green Lantern, the ring can simulate various forms of radiation. One example of this is the ability to simulate the radiation of Red solar radiation, which stunts or removes the powers of Kryptonians and Daxamites.
- Recharging: The rings need to be recharged by means of a Power Battery. Other large sources of power may be used to recharge a power ring, however effectiveness may vary. The internal power source of a Manhunter Android is, in effect, the same as a power battery, and can be used to recharge a power ring. During the JLA / Avengers crossover, a Cosmic Cube was used to recharge a depleted ring, although this is not an ideal solution and is available if there are no other options. Members of the Sinestro Corps they generally quote the Sinestro Corps oath while recharging their rings: "In blackest day, in brightest night, Beware your fears made into light! Let those who try to stop what's right, Burn like his power... Sinestro's might!” Unlike the Green Lantern Corps however each Sinestro Corps member seems to use a standard unaltered oath.
- Temperature Control: The Ring can increase or decrease the temperature of anything, even something as large as stars, or even create bubbles of intense heat or cold, even down to Absolute Zero..
- X-Ray: The Sinestro power ring has the ability to see through all objects without others around him/her being aware that the object has been made transparent. Not all material can be penetrated though.
WeaknessesMental Incapacitation: The ring cannot be wielded correctly if the wearer is under the influence of drugs or if there is an involvement of neural interference. Blue Lantern Corps
: The power of a Blue Lanterns Ring of Hope has the ability to disrupt the powers of a Yellow Lantern Ring.