johnkmccubbin91's Dredd review

I am the Law

I went to see this film in 3D and I was presently surprised. Not at the film itself I always had a lot of faith that it would be good but I thought the 3D wouldn't work on this film and actually it's one of the best films I've seen in 3D. It is also the pound for pound best comic book film out this year as it only cost $45 million whereas The Amazing Spider-Man, The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers all cost over $200 million and this film about the same level of quality.

Plot

SPOILER FREE

Set in the futuristic city of Mega-City One the only form of law and order is in the Judges, a futuristic police force who possess the combined powers of judge, jury and executioner. Dredd one of the most feared and famed Judge's is assigned with assessing a rookie Judge called Cassandra Anderson who has psychic abilities due to her genetic mutation. Elsewhere in a tower block called Peach Tree's a drug lord called Ma-Ma has three men who have been given Slow-Mo (a drug which makes the user experience reality at a fraction of its normal speed) skinned and thrown of the top of the tower block. Whilst reporting to this Dredd and Anderson capture Kay (a henchman of Ma-Ma's) who Anderson believes is responsible for the murders. As they try to leave with Kay, Ma-Ma shuts down the tower block to prevent Kay from leaving and being interrogated and tortured into revealing her operation. The two Judges now have too fight through the gigantic tower block with all the residents are trying to kill them to get to Ma-Ma.

Review

The film itself was 100% better than the Stallone version. Although I didn't mind the Stallone version (it is better than a lot of other comics book films) this version surpasses it in every way. It has a lot more violence and is a lot more serious than the Stallone version which was trying to be too much of a comedy in my opinion. I also thought Karl Urban did a much better job as Dredd than Stallone did. Urban's Dredd was also a lot more moody and controlling than Stallone's was. I think it was a good choice getting an actor who has been in a lot of big films but isn't often the lead and isn't as big a name as Stallone was. I also liked how they went into a lot more detail with the Lawgiver showing off all the different capabilities it has. I was happy to find out in this film that (like stated in other reviews around the internet) Dredd never removes his helmet. Although I understood they had to show Stallone's face in the last one as that's where all the money would have went it just made the film feel less like Dredd. I was happy that we didn't see the council this time as it would have made the film feel too political.

Final Verdict

This was a brilliant film and sticks fairly close to the comic. It has a lot of action, a lot of blood and violence and above all else it has a great story. It doesn't try to be more than it is and with the story being in an enclosed environment it gives more chance to show the characteristics of both Dredd and Anderson. I would highly recommend this film and it isn't far behind the the other comic book films this year.

Rating: 4.5/5

Posted by Frozen

Nice review. Trying to figure out how to reccommend.

Posted by BumpyBoo

Nice write up! Watched this last night and was very impressed. Great performances from everyone (especially Olivia, she made this one for me :D).

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@bumpyboo: Thanks very much, this was one of my older reviews so not as well written as my current ones. Yeah I really enjoyed it as although I liked the Stallone film he wasn't Dredd in my opinion.

Posted by BumpyBoo

@johnkmccubbin91: Very welcome :)

And yes, I agree about the previous film. Right down to him removing his helmet...that was a Stallone movie, not a Dredd movie. Nice to see the character in focus, as opposed to the actor.

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@bumpyboo: I understand why they made him remove the helmet, but that's something Dredd shouldn't do. Yes it most certainly was and I so hope that they make a sequel (which looks a bit doubtful).

Posted by BumpyBoo

@johnkmccubbin91: Aw, well fingers crossed, I would love to see a follow up to this at some point.

Edited by johnkmccubbin91

@bumpyboo: So would I, and there's an online petition going to try and make it happen.

Posted by BumpyBoo

@johnkmccubbin91: There is? I will have to check that out. I was just reading now about how much money the movie lost at the box office, and was really shocked. I guess people haven't quite shaken the memory of the last one. Still, what a shame. This movie deserves so much more.

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@bumpyboo: Yes there is, the link is here. It didn't loose to much, but the DVD/Blu-ray sales have made it a profit. Still the lack of boxoffice profit has been what's hindered a sequel. I personally think it's also due to the fact that Dredd isn't as popular a character as most comic book film characters, along with the fact that non comic fans probably don't know who Dredd is, whereas they know who Batman, Superman, Avengers ect are.

Posted by BumpyBoo

@johnkmccubbin91: Thanks for the link :) I think you're right, it doesn't help that he is not the most well known character. Easy to forget that - as a comic book fan, it can be hard to gauge sometimes which characters are known outside of the medium. Considering how successful Dredd has become though - as you say, DVD sales helped immensely - I think a sequel could do really well. This time around, a lot more people would know what to expect and if they took the chance, it could really pay off. I know there is talk of a Dirty Laundry style short but...nah, that's not the same.

I am so signing this petition! ^__^

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@bumpyboo: Yeah plus also the fact that they planned on making a trilogy with the Origin story as the second part, and a film with Judge Death as the third really gave me hope for the future, and I hope that they at least manage to make another, even if it lands up being a merger of the two. Dirty Laundry was good, but it wouldn't work with Dredd as Dredd needs more time whereas that worked due to being a short.

Good to hear, I signed it a while ago and hope that it gets enough to make it a reality.