Check Out The Official 'DREDD' Movie Trailer

• 80 results
Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

After weeks of just seeing stills from the set of DREDD, we finally have a trailer. If you've been waiting to get a better idea of how this film will compare to the 'Judge Dredd' movie from the 90's, then you can start drawing those comparisons now. Premiering on Machinima, the DREDD trailer gives us a closer look at Karl Ubran as Judge Dredd, Lena Headey as the drug lord Ma-Ma, and Dredd's protege, Cassandra Anderson played by actress Olivia Thirlby. DREDD hits theaters on September, 21 2012.

What do you think of the trailer? How do you think it compared to the first film starring Sylvester Stalone? Are you looking forward to seeing the movie?

#1 Posted by Mucklefluga (2442 posts) - - Show Bio

WHOA!! TOO COOLIO!! :D I'm liking this new Dredd. Karl Ubran seems a good pick.

#2 Posted by ARMIV2 (7728 posts) - - Show Bio

Neato! Like a mix of a bit of Batman with Raid: Redemption and a little dash of Zack Snyder.

#3 Posted by Superguy0009e (2259 posts) - - Show Bio

I've only read a little Judge Dredd, but this seems good!!

#4 Posted by inferiorego (20604 posts) - - Show Bio

I still don't like the helmet, but it looks like a fun action film

Staff
#5 Posted by Inverno (12835 posts) - - Show Bio

I SEE A LANNISTER HERE! IS THAT YOU CERSEI?!?!

#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27716 posts) - - Show Bio

YAAAAASSSSSSSS

#7 Edited by wowylied (237 posts) - - Show Bio

No megacity one. It should have blocks much closer, of different size, colors...and not giant grey cube like that with miles between them.

The lawmaster bike seems like a normal bike with carbon glued to it.

Civilian in normal cloth, normal cars...no flying cars, giant mopad, giant highway and holo ads.

Slow motion every where.

Anderson is a rookie, i hope they will not put a love story with dredd...

Seriously, it crushed all my hope in this movie.

#8 Posted by TheGodofThunder (558 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never been a dredd fan, just cause I never read the comics, but this looks amazing. A role carl urban was born to play! Can't believe he used to be on Xena!!

#9 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

my god those were some of the cheesiest lines i ever heard. and his mouth doesnt even look half paralized when he says i am the lawn. but this is the guy from priest. so ehh... ill give it a shot on dvd. rental.

#10 Posted by CODYSF (2047 posts) - - Show Bio

What makes it more beautiful that it is rated R now Lobo should be rated R.

#11 Posted by CODYSF (2047 posts) - - Show Bio

Sylvester Stallone to me sound so much better then this new guy.

#12 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

I nearly wet myself laughing when he spoke. You couldn't parody that growly, macho voice without sounding less silly than that.

#13 Posted by ltbrd (552 posts) - - Show Bio

Compared to the last film, this looks far far better. I've never really been a fan of the comics (tried a few story arcs but it never really hooked me) and the last film can be fun to watch in parts (beginning is great and some of the scenes in the desert but that's about it), but this trailer was really cool. As I said in a thread before, I really like the fact this film is not going to have a story that encompasses the entire city (yes the drug is city wide but I'm taking about a city spanning adventure) or has such an overreaching effect on the world created that everything the film set-up for us over two hours now doesn't matter because of what Dredd does (yes the drugs are rampant through the city but at the end of the day if Dredd wins all that's happened is a drug and mob boss is off the street to be replaced by another). This feels much more like "a day in the life of Dredd" type of film and fits more into the idea of Dredd just doing his job and going about a bust more than being the savior of the city or some nonsense.

The lines are cheesy and I'm sure the action will be over the top...............but that's what I'm expecting from this film. I'm not going into this hoping to know what makes Dredd tick or what horrible thing happened in his past to make him the way he is. Sometimes I just want to sit in a movie and watch bad guys get mowed down and watch the hero (and heroine) come out on top through completely unrealistic odds. That sort of entertainment is needed sometimes and where Avengers delivered on much of that for the general audience, this film is definitely the one to deliver for a bit more mature audience ready to see some blood and guts vice fists and hammers.

#14 Posted by zombietag (1482 posts) - - Show Bio

i cant get over that helmet -____-

#15 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

it looks like a fun movie. just go with lower expectations and a couple of friends. you all will be fine i love movies like this :p

#16 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4639 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know what to think of this yet.

#17 Posted by spartan92 (2520 posts) - - Show Bio

His face of extreme disgust amuses me.

#18 Posted by 0n1zuka (3715 posts) - - Show Bio
@CaioTrubat: Yeah it's her.

I might go and see this when it comes out. Not totally sure though.
#19 Posted by Bull_iod (44 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks drokking great!!

I like the city scape, it looks like the early days of mega city 1. and Karl Urban is beginning to grow on me as Judge Dredd. I hope this will be great topper for a summer of comic books awesomeness

#20 Posted by BlackArmor (6121 posts) - - Show Bio

I know nothing about Judge Dredd but this looks cool, a little generic, but cool

#21 Posted by The Average Bear (2049 posts) - - Show Bio

Way awesome. Definitely like the costume.

#22 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27716 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bull_iod said:

Looks drokking great!!

I like the city scape, it looks like the early days of mega city 1. and Karl Urban is beginning to grow on me as Judge Dredd. I hope this will be great topper for a summer of comic books awesomeness

the fact that you said drokking gets you a follow 
#23 Posted by Trodorne (2569 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaioTrubat said:

I SEE A LANNISTER HERE! IS THAT YOU CERSEI?!?!

#24 Edited by RScottH08 (249 posts) - - Show Bio

@ltbrd: I feel the same way, I'm not hoping for a masterpiece in cinema or anything, but just something to make Dredd seem awesome again and something better than the Stallone film.

As for the trailer, I liked it, seemed real good. I'm liking Karl Urban as Dredd, so for now....so far so good.

#25 Posted by cbishop (6319 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

I still don't like the helmet, but it looks like a fun action film

But the fact that he's keeping the helmet on the entire movie gives this big points in my book. Not knowing the JD comics, I loved the last movie, but even I knew that Stallone shouldn't be taking his helmet off every chance he got. :)

@CODYSF said:

Sylvester Stallone to me sound so much better then this new guy.

I'm so glad I'm not the only person thinking that. ;)

#26 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27716 posts) - - Show Bio

*sigh* You Americans dont appreciate Dredd as much as the Brits and actual fans of 2000AD 

#27 Posted by RandomAtom (48 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks...okay.

#28 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

looks okay.

#29 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

Where should I start reading if I want to read Judge Dredd...specifically trades please

#30 Posted by tensor (3525 posts) - - Show Bio

lame

#31 Posted by Savage_Hawkman (125 posts) - - Show Bio

Regardless if the films he's taken part in end up good or bad, Karl Urban always plays his part great.

#32 Posted by _Zombie_ (10226 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks so cool!

#33 Posted by NightFang (9649 posts) - - Show Bio

@zombietag said:

i cant get over that helmet -____-

would you rather like this version?

#34 Posted by jwalser3 (4492 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks okay, where are the flying cars? Some of the lines are very cheesy lol, but so was the older movie. I'll still go see it, but not expecting it to be all out amazing.

#35 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, in comparison to the 1996 film this looks quite phenomenal in my opinion. Definitely going to give this a try.

#36 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7118 posts) - - Show Bio

This look pretty damn awesome. Not expecting a huge blockbuster, but it looks like I'm getting what I want: a solid action flick, and Karl Urban not taking the helmet off.

#37 Posted by feebadger (1337 posts) - - Show Bio

It's so hard to gauge whether this one is going to work or not. It looks great, far more in line with the feel of the comics, but the Dredd stories (in the comics) have such a specific tone that it's hard to tell if the film gets it. Without that deeply cynical, satirical tone, i don't know if it's going to work. I love Karl Urban but his Batmanesque voice is a little off putting. Will have to wait and see, i guess, but the trailer is certainly promising.

@They Killed Cap! said:

Where should I start reading if I want to read Judge Dredd...specifically trades please

Rebellion (who publish Dredd) have systematically released the Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files series, which over the volumes collects ALL of Dredds tales (you have to remember that 2000AD, which Dredd appears in is released weekly in the UK so there's a loooot of Dredd out there, never mind his own magazine!). If you don't want to trawl through his entire history, i would recommend the Cursed Earth Saga trade, if you like politics, the America storyline was amazing, The Judge Child was classic Dredd and the Necropolis epic (and its prequels 'Dead Man' and 'Tale Of The Dead Man') was great too and features the hugely popular (and rightly so) Dark Judges. Hope this helps some..

#38 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7118 posts) - - Show Bio

Karl Urban does a good job of pulling off the Judge Dredd 'frown'.

#39 Posted by shrmntnk62 (250 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been a big Karl Urban fan for awhile. I got excited when he was cast. I don't know much of anything about Dredd, but that looks pretty damned cool!

#40 Posted by Dunners (36 posts) - - Show Bio

Going to look good on blue-ray i must say.

#41 Posted by warmonger163 (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Coooooooool!!! Is it just me or does Dredd look like Captain Falcon?

#42 Posted by SpidermanWins (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

@warmonger163 said:

Coooooooool!!! Is it just me or does Dredd look like Captain Falcon?

haha my thoughts exactly

#43 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

ya'll fools this is awesome.

#44 Posted by SexualLobster (995 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks kinda lame. Probably won't see this till it comes on demand.

#45 Posted by CaptainCockblock (3672 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow... that was the first time I ever heard Dredd say "I am the law" without cringing afterward.

#46 Posted by BatWatch (2332 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh. Looks like it might be a good guilty pleasure to me, but it seems so excessively "gritty" as to parody itself to me. Kind of like Robocop...only in Robocop the parody was intentional.

#47 Posted by Fantasgasmic (1065 posts) - - Show Bio

I was really worried about this movie for obvious Stalone/Assante based reasons. Unlike THAT shit-fest, the plot of this movie looks good. I DO think the cheesy one did a bit better with the giant shoulder-pads that looked like the comic and not sporting gear. But I'm looking forward to this now. I'd LOVE to see them work in Judge Death and the Dark Judges in a movie, although I don't think that would vibe with the somewhat realistic (in the Nolan-verse Batman movies sense of the word) they're going for.

#48 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8642 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems like nobody involved in this movie understand Judge Dredd

#49 Posted by Atary77 (75 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok from this trailer, I would expect this movie to do one thing ,not to be boring. And I really hope they don't over use the slow-mo effects during action scenes. Seriously, slow-mo makes action boring. Don't be boring!

#50 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2159 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not familiar with Judge Dredd enough to know, but it doesn't look any different from any other action movie. nothing about it, from the trailer, jumps out at me as Judge Dredd really.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.