The Dreaming Celestial, Sinister, and the Uncanny X-Men--really?

#1 Posted by Owie (3765 posts) - - Show Bio

So, I didn't read the arc that brought the Dreaming Celestial to San Francisco. So maybe I missed something and it was severely weakened.

But otherwise, does anyone else think it is completely and utterly absurd for Mr. Sinister to be able to essentially hijack a Celestial in the new Uncanny X-Men?

Or, that the X-Men, even Cyke's new "Extinction team," could fight a Celestial for even 5 minutes if it was really intent on fighting?

I just thought this whole idea was bananas. Maybe I'm missing something. What do you think?

#2 Edited by thveej (203 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm with you, havn't read the arc that brought the Dreaming Celestial to SF, so I would appreciate an explanation. I tried looking at the wiki page but it wasn't updated. Last time I saw Celestials in a Marvel book was during Thanos Imperative so I dunno if I missed out on stuff. I think the Dreaming Celestial was also in X-force recently, but I think it was still sleeping there.

#3 Posted by daak1212 (7901 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats virtually impossible. God damnit Marvel why dont you respect characters! I say this because Tiamut is currently out advenure seeking with Jack the Bartender aka Jack Kirby because Tiamut reached Ascension

#4 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@daak1212 said:

Thats virtually impossible. God damnit Marvel why dont you respect characters! I say this because Tiamut is currently out advenure seeking with Jack the Bartender aka Jack Kirby because Tiamut reached Ascension

Oh, yeah. I forgot about all that.
#5 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

@Owie said:

So, I didn't read the arc that brought the Dreaming Celestial to San Francisco. So maybe I missed something and it was severely weakened.

But otherwise, does anyone else think it is completely and utterly absurd for Mr. Sinister to be able to essentially hijack a Celestial in the new Uncanny X-Men?

Or, that the X-Men, even Cyke's new "Extinction team," could fight a Celestial for even 5 minutes if it was really intent on fighting?

I just thought this whole idea was bananas. Maybe I'm missing something. What do you think?

- There have been lesser versions of this in recent years, but I have to agree this is the one that convinces me the editors at Marvel either:

1 - Are the most useless people in their profession and do not see anything wrong with this

2 - Have lost all ability to overrule a popular writer and are forced to let them do whatever they want and hope a future writer is willing to clean up later.

- The quality control has gone down the tubes in the past decade, it's almost like they don't care how the books fit into the bigger picture of the Marvel U anymore.

#6 Posted by Owie (3765 posts) - - Show Bio

@WarMachineMarkV said:

@Owie said:

- There have been lesser versions of this in recent years, but I have to agree this is the one that convinces me the editors at Marvel either:

1 - Are the most useless people in their profession and do not see anything wrong with this

2 - Have lost all ability to overrule a popular writer and are forced to let them do whatever they want and hope a future writer is willing to clean up later.

- The quality control has gone down the tubes in the past decade, it's almost like they don't care how the books fit into the bigger picture of the Marvel U anymore.

I blame this whole "Marvel Architect" idea. To me that basically means that the writers now hold a position above the editors, which is definitely not a good thing. I don't think he's even one of the official architects, but I guess the disease is spreading.

#7 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

- There is not a lot to work with to develop an educated guess, 99% of what comes out in the interviews with Joe Q and Axel A is just promotional fluff where they answer softball questions. It's very rare to read anything from someone who would actually have hands on knowledge of what is really going on in there and who is pulling the strings creatively.

- I would really hope one of the recently laid off editors gives an in depth interview giving details on how things really are running in the comics division. This is not likely as they would risk getting themselves blackballed form work down the road, but again, one can hope.

#8 Posted by 244 (497 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's some justifications I can think of: Sinister is an omega level mutant (or mutate) and a genius with a knowledge on advance technology. Maybe he didn't intended to destroy the Extinction team but "play around" with them.

#9 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

@244 said:

Here's some justifications I can think of: Sinister is an omega level mutant (or mutate) and a genius with a knowledge on advance technology. Maybe he didn't intended to destroy the Extinction team but "play around" with them.

- An Omega may be big stuff in regards to mutants, but is nothing in comparison to a Celestial.

- It is possible Sinister was able to get some data on them from Apocalypse, but all of that knowledge is based out of Celestial technology that is thousands of years out of date. Even the limited amount of knowledge and tech Apocalypse was able to learn and reverse engineer is insanely powerful to just about everyone. But compared to what the Celestials developed and use since then it's probably next to useless. No amount of reverse engineering Windows 1.0 is going to help me hack Windows 7.

- The idea that they would allow the Dreaming Celestial to just stand around with any chance their old tech could be used to control it is very unlikely considering their level of their awareness and knowledge. I can not see any way Sinister or even Apocalypse could do this alone.

#10 Edited by Tiamut (93 posts) - - Show Bio

Total B.S...

#11 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

if doctor doom was able to get in into galactus' body, I'n not all that surprised that sinister was able to hijack the dreaming celestial.

#12 Posted by cosmiccuber (1 posts) - - Show Bio

i think Mr Sinister is a very underestimated character in the marvel universe and i thnk he is capable to do this IF IT WASN'T A CELESTIAL!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.