Follow

Dream of the Endless (Morpheus)

Character » Dream of the Endless (Morpheus) appears in 339 issues.

Dream of the Endless (Morpheus) was the anthropomorphic personification of the concept of dreaming. He dwells in a realm called the Dreaming, from where he controlled the fundamental concept of fantasy and reality in the universe. He was the protagonist of Neil Gaiman's landmark Vertigo series "The Sandman".

'Kick-Ass' Director Matthew Vaughn Wants 'Sandman' Movie

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Could he be the guy to bring 'Sandman' to the big screen?

Kick-Ass #8
    Kick-Ass #8
    I am sure that when film director Matthew Vaughn approached movie companies with the idea to bring ' Kick-Ass' to the big screen in the most realistic way imaginable, he was met with groans and head-shakes from studio executives that did not think the movie would sit well with audiences. The fact that Vaughn (for the most part) managed to successfully round up the proper funds to make the most true-to-the graphic novel 'Kick-Ass' movie possible AND have three major movie studios (Paramount, Universal and Lionsgate) bidding to distribute the film; none of which wanted to touch the damn thing with a ten foot pole initially; is a true testament to his capabilities.  

The film was independently funded because none of the studios wanted to tackle the story which fused ultra-violence with children

No Caption Provided
    If the film is as good as people have been saying it will be, and is as successful as many are predicting, then I have a feeling that 'Kick-Ass' will only be the beginning and that any of the upcoming graphic novel adaptations Vaughn wants to bring to the big screen will be met with less reluctant studio-heads. The next question is, what other comic books does Vaughn want to bring to make into movies? In a recent interview the film director was asked exactly that.  

"You know what, I would love to do " Sandman," but I think it's stuck in development hell," Vaughn said, "But that could be like a 'Lord of the Rings' - just a huge movie...I think it's weird that hardly any Neil Gaiman stuff has been made. The idea that no one has made 'Sandman' yet is weird," said Vaughn. 

'Stardust'
     'Stardust'
    You know what, Matthew Vaughn? You're right. It really is kind of strange that Neil Gaiman's 'The Sandman,' who's first volume was published by Vertigo nearly twenty-one years ago, has yet to be optioned as a film. However, if anyone can pull it off, it's you! Afterall, it is not as though you are unfamiliar with Mr. Gaiman's work, having written the screenplay and held the title of producer for ' Stardust' back in 2007. What could be holding you back from taking another of Gaiman's masterpieces and bringing it to the big screen? Perhaps, Mr. Vaughn, you should consider attending Neil Gaiman's seminar at UCLA this Thursday, February 4th. Tickets are still available. Oh, and if you are reading this, Mr. Vaughn, I think that Comic Vine should get a cut of the proceeds since we gave you this great idea.  

If you are interested in seeing Mr. Gaiman speak this Thursday and happen to live in the Los Angeles area, you can purchase your tickets for the event here. If you go, let us know how it goes! 

Do you think that 'The Sandman' should be adapted into a film? Do you think Matthew Vaughn is the man to do it? Are you looking forward to the release of 'Kick-Ass' on April 16th?
    Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Darkchild

Sandman should DEFINATELY be adapted into a movie. Its an AWESOME comic and it should be allowed to become a movie

MrCipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MrCipher

Sandman rocks! A movie would be very cool.  
    I want a Constantine redo too. Keanu didn't cut it for me and the writers wussed out on the edginess of John Constantine.
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Seeing how there have been soooo many poor comic and anime based movies due to poor directors. Directors like Matthew Vaughn are a real joy. His dedication to really take the risk to really live up to the violence of the series is such a freshening sign.
    It reminds of of an interview I saw with Chris Columbus on the Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets DVD extras. In there he talked about how Warner Brothers was pressuring him to make the first Harry Potter movie a single film that included the first three books. That would of been a complete mess and made no sense. We need more directors who seem to care about the series they work on.

Is it too late for him to pull away the Cowboy Bebop movie from whoever is directing that? Also, where was this man when they were making the Catwoman movie? That needs a reboot.

I actually haven't read Sandman.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By Caligula

I would very Much Like to See Vaughn Direct Sandman, I think he should also do A Savage Dragon  movie, and a Re-Boot of Spawn
    JackAs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JackAs

Even if they turned the Sandman towards the big screen, the possibilities are less then stellar unless they grasp a very solid story to capture the audience. It's really hard for people to relate to a character who is basically an entity beyond anyone's comprehension. Superman Returns was proof of that. Anyway, I just hope this doesn't turn into a false hope.

Aspenite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Aspenite

Oh, how I want to see Kick-Ass. But I never read Sandman...so I don´t know if it would make a great film (well, you never know for sure until it hits the theaters).

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Decept-O

Wow, that really makes me wonder how a Sandman movie would be handled.  The series was eclectic, ethereal, and entertaining.  Amazing alliteration.   

I don't know.  If some things are expounded on it, I think it could do well, it is so full of visual and fantastic themes.  Along the lines of (forgive me) Alice In Wonderland, perhaps, in terms of an approach?   

Although I'd prefer Wesley Dodds but that's another story.........
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    Sandman cannot be done as one film. I honestly don't see how. It would only make sense in the context of a trilogy with a certain level of unison, much like Lord of the Rings.

That being said, I would love to see someone dedicated to the original material give it a try. Even though I cringe at the thought of a bad Sandman film, the possibility of such a film done correctly makes the temporary fear seem worthwhile.
    Lydian Sel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lydian Sel
    @MrCipher said:

" Sandman rocks! A movie would be very cool.  I want a Constantine redo too. Keanu didn't cut it for me and the writers wussed out on the edginess of John Constantine. "

Agreed! That movie fucking sucked & did nothing for any/all involved (viewers included). 
    Sock it to me Vaughn!!
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By NightFang3

Sandman would make a great movie and Matthew Vaughn is the man to do it!

Mattersuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mattersuit

Sandman ROCKS!!

Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

Well, since Mr. Vaughan actually enjoys the material, perhaps he should be given the opportunity. I have noticed in the past when a director/producer is a fan of the story, chances are good it will come across on the big screen.
    Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Vortex13

I really doubt that a Sandman film would transition well from the comics.

sylar615

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By sylar615

I don't want to see mediocre comic stories turned into movies, let alone one of the greatest comic stories in the history of comics.  I don't know what everyone on this site is so pumped about, the Kick-Ass movie looks HORRIBLE!!  I don't give a tuppeny fuck about whether or not the director is "into" the material or not, Zack Snyder was "into" the Watchmen when he made it into a movie, and it's a fricking two and a half hour abortion.  Give me a break already, how about actually making original movies **gasp** instead of picking over comics and continually pumping out crap movies one after the other.

MonicleMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MonicleMonkey

I personally dont think a movie would do the series justice, but maybe a series on HBO or Showtime would be nice, the series is just to big for one single movie or even a trilogy, but a series would at least be able to show all aspects of the world of Sandman

llagrok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By llagrok

Sandman is a great comic and trying to turn it into a movie would be a god damn disgrace. It would be a truly awful movie. 

It's a comic book. Not a movie, not a song and not a book. It's a comic book.

Graphicly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Graphicly

Sandman would be pretty awesome as a HBO/Showtime show.  There is so much to the story and so much material that a show based off of it could easily go for some time.  It will take some care by whoever ends up doing it, as fans want it done right. 

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19  Edited By Darkchild
    @aztek the lost said:
    " I just don't know how a Sandman film would work, I don't think anyone does, hence it being stuck in developmental hell for 20 years...would it be a bunch of flashbacks, would it only follow Morpheus or would arcs like A Game of You and World's End be included? how many movies would it have to be, etc.  but if it was ever done correctly, I would be ecstatic! "
    I agree with you their, it would need to be a set of movies. Containing all of the storylines, alot of the stories were kinda fractured and could be melded together. But Game of You and Worlds End must be their own movies because they are by far the best of the arcs
    JackAs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JackAs

And that's where the problem is. There is a huge possibilities that the story lines would greatly change in order to fit the standard audience and not just sandman fans. False hope is false hope.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Bruce Vain

I never got into this Sandman. I'm more of a Wesley Dodds Sandman.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Korg

Only people personally vetted and approved by Gaiman are acceptable.

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dondasch

@Babs  
    You know what, Matthew Vaughn? You're right. It really is kind of strange that Neil Gaiman's 'The Sandman,' who's first volume was published by Vertigo nearly twenty-one years ago, has yet to be optioned as a film. However, if anyone can pull it off, it's you! Afterall, it is not as though you are unfamiliar with Mr. Gaiman's work, having written the screenplay and held the title of producer for ' Stardust' back in 2007. What could be holding you back from taking another of Gaiman's masterpieces and bringing it to the big screen? Perhaps, Mr. Vaughn, you should consider attending Neil Gaiman's seminar at UCLA this Thursday, February 4th. Tickets are still available. Oh, and if you are reading this, Mr. Vaughn, I think that Comic Vine should get a cut of the proceeds since we gave you this great idea. 

Dear Matthew Vaughn, 

Please, with all due consideration to your "abilities", stay away from Sandman.  If you think that you can make Sandman after the disaster you put Stardust through, then please take this opportunity to not ask Mr. Gaiman any questions at all.  Sandman is a cultural icon and should not in any way be touched (read brought) to the silver screen by anyone, particulary yourself.  You have proven yourself disingenuous and ill suited to bringing Mr. Gaiman's work its proper respect.  I think that it would be a good idea to consider bringing it to a medium like HBO, but even then, it frightens me after having seen the Watchmen debacle that something of this magnitude would be in any consideration to bring to the big screen.

Concerned ComicVine reader

Dr. Maxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24  Edited By Dr. Maxwell

in short No

in Long NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

BigChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BigChief

I've only just started reading Sandman, but it seems like a very hard story to adapt for the big screen. They would need someone who's really on the ball to get it done well. Maybe even the involvement of Gaiman himself - the guy does screenwriting work, right? Haven't seen Vaughn's work, so I can't pass judgment on him.

Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By ReverseNegative

OK idea, I guess. But when will he do it? Isn't he working on X-Men: First Class?

MyraMyraMyra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MyraMyraMyra

I have mixed feelings about Matthew Vaughn. I enjoyed X-Men: First Class (despite its flaws), but I wasn't too wild about his take on Stardust. It is by no means a disaster of a film, but I felt like the general tone of the movie didn't match the tone of the book. It was too innocent and sanitized compared to the book.

Gaiman's Stardust is essentially a tribute to the original fairytale. Once upon a time before Disney and even before Perrault, fairytales were not just children's entertainment. They were meant for all people, young and old, and that's why they often contained twists and turns that weren't what you'd call kid-friendly these days. Stardust is this kind of a fairytale - it's a dreamy adventure full of fantasy, but it also contains openly erotic moments, and even though the book is generally a high-spirited, there's also dark and melancholic parts in it that you would not find in a family film. That's basically the problem of the movie - it's a family film, and that's why the interesting undertones of the book have been left out of it. It's hardly erotic, the melancholic parts have been changed, and I think overall the story lost too much of its fresh appeal in transission from book to movie. It just became an okay but kind of generic and easily forgettable fantasy film. Personally, it really annoyed me how Victoria was portrayed as a shallow mean girl in the movie just because it's a Hollywood convention to have one as the third member of a love triangle. Also,the leads were horribly, horribly miscast, and so were Ricky Gervais and Robert De Niro.

Well, anyways. I'm not sure whether I'd be excited to see a Sandman movie done by Vaughn. He's competent, but if he misunderstands the world of Sandman as badly as he misunderstood Stardust, I'm not too keen on the idea.

Overall, I'm not really in desperate need of a Sandman the Movie to begin with. It's such a difficult comic to adapt because (at least to me) a part of its appeal is how the story stretched through time and space. It's not centred on Morpheus himself all the time since so many of the individual stories have someone entirely different for a main character. To me, that's what Sandman is all about - it's a spectrum of interesting stories tied loosely together my its own mythology.

Anyways. I've never really wanted a Sandman movie, even though it was the first comic book I got into. It's not like everything needs to be turned into a Hollywood movie before it can be properly appreciated. Still, I'm pretty sure this movie will be eventually made, even though the project has been caught in developement hell for so long. Right now, the superhero movie craze and well-received TV- and movie adaptations of other comics have pretty much paved the way for this project to finally take a leap forward. Also, Gaiman's American Gods is currently on its way to become an HBO series. If that project becomes a hit, Hollywood will surely be looking at Sandman again. I've heard about some of the proposed scripts for the movie, and so far they've all sounded pretty awful. I'm just hoping that it will be adapted by someone who gets where the appeal of the comics lies.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By moywar700

@Glitch_Spawn said:

It could either be outstanding or a huge disaster.

are they still planning the movie?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.