Follow

Dreadknight

Character » Dreadknight appears in 35 issues.

Bram Velsing was once a Latverian scientist, until he was disfigured by Doctor Doom. Declaring revenge, he became the Dreadknight.

Dreadknight - Underestimated Villain

Argantyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Argantyr

I don't know why, some of you might be willing to jump up and say "Why would anyone give two shats about this character?", However as for me I kinda love this character.  The only thing he really needs is formal hand to hand training, but really since his first publication in Iron-Man, I've just enjoyed him. He's used rarely, but it was a kick in the balls when I read Dark Reign Files and saw Dread as low in everything. He wouldn't be so low a threat if anyone bothered to write him or build him - we've seen Golden Age heroes come back with some degree of awesomeness like The Twelve, Blazing Skull in New Invaders, why can' they give Dreadknight an agenda, beef up his weaponry, why?

I'd personally liked to see him actually fight Dr. Doom [though he'd be ill prepared when it'd  happen likely], and fail. Sometimes he doesn't strike me as a pure villain, almost a heavy Anti-hero...without the hero, mostly just vengeful mercenary. Anyhow, the point is this character could be fun to write for and/or read if any writer took the time.

Can't see how Dreadknight ranks down with Mad Thinkerer and Stiltman.

Leliel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Leliel
    @Argantyr: It simply that other writers are not interested in doing stories with him, they like popularity. I personally would use him more, maybe to fight the Inititative now
    Argantyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Argantyr

That's true, but it seemed like the Dark Reign book on all those villains, merely put Dreadknight in there as some sort of joke. I think the problem with him lies in none of the writers wanting to modernize the character, too caught up in his 80's debut that they aren't seeing past that, they aren't seeing the possibilities he'd be capable of after all this time. Though I do really enjoy his mask, it's like a mix of Thor and Doctor Doom.

Also, Thank you for posting on my little thread. Decided to start a thread seeign as no one else had done so yet.

Leliel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Leliel
    @Argantyr: What you said made me realized that many of those old villains who actually quite good were powerful when characters like Vulcan, Sentry and Hyperion were not around now we need more powerful villains or at least them using better plans. I suggest then revamping Dreadknight and using knew armament for him and technology, that he could easily obtained during Secret Invasion 
    G Bird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By G Bird
    @Argantyr said:
    " I don't know why, some of you might be willing to jump up and say "Why would anyone give two shats about this character?", However as for me I kinda love this character.  The only thing he really needs is formal hand to hand training, but really since his first publication in Iron-Man, I've just enjoyed him. He's used rarely, but it was a kick in the balls when I read Dark Reign Files and saw Dread as low in everything. He wouldn't be so low a threat if anyone bothered to write him or build him - we've seen Golden Age heroes come back with some degree of awesomeness like The Twelve, Blazing Skull in New Invaders, why can' they give Dreadknight an agenda, beef up his weaponry, why?  I'd personally liked to see him actually fight Dr. Doom [though he'd be ill prepared when it'd  happen likely], and fail. Sometimes he doesn't strike me as a pure villain, almost a heavy Anti-hero...without the hero, mostly just vengeful mercenary. Anyhow, the point is this character could be fun to write for and/or read if any writer took the time.  Can't see how Dreadknight ranks down with Mad Thinkerer and Stiltman. "
    I never really heard of him until I saw a Super Hero Squad action figure of him and decided to look up his bio. He looks cool enough but I've never read anything with him in it. Do you have any suggestions for me?
    ForbushBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By ForbushBug

I've thought Dreadknight had a cool name, spiffy costume, and a really good backstory  but not much has ever been done with. Most the time he gets treated like a generic bad guy even though his motives aren't that villainous. He hates Doctor Doom and this makes heroes fight him because... why?

Argantyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Argantyr

Well the bulk of his background comes from his first appearance where he squares off against Iron Man.

http://www.comicvine.com/dreadknight/29-16084/iron-man/49-2407/

These two issues sum up his character briefly though there are other issues, which are all listed on his Comicvine page. I would stay away from his Ultimate version of himself, however, he isn't worth the bother to read about. He also appears in the Ironman: Legacy comoc, but I have no idea where that fits, I'm not even sure it's canon [Especially when Dreadknight is suddenly Dr.Doom's loyal little agent, as you know, he hates Dr. Dooms guts >>].

He has a good amount of potential to be a bigger player in the Marvel Universe and to become a big thorn in Dr. Doom's side.

@ForbushBug: Aha! finally someone agrees with me! I actually like Dreadknight as a Villain but I could see him as a grudging ally of certain heroes from time to time. But alas, Dreadknight is treated like a joke because writers won't elaborate on what exactly has changed with ole' bram since the got damned 80's. I say trick out the guys lance, use stolen repulsion fields in a new suit of armor on the Hellhorse, and to be honest I think Dreadknight shoulda created a 'roundtable' of Dreadknights consisting mostly of Mutants in a foray to attack Latvia in order to liberate it. I mean, this guy was able to create his own highly-advanced arsenal from scratch, no plans! So maybe there really was something to Bram trying to prove himself to be Doom's equal/superior.

infonation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By infonation

@Argantyr: He's no Dr. Doom but who is? (Besides Dr. Doom himself of course!) Dreadknight has what it takes to be awesome but writers seem to be obsessed with either making him a one-dimensional bloodthirsty villain or a JOKE! And not only is it lazy as all hell, it's just plain stupid! If it were up to ME, I'd have Dreadknight take on Dr. Doom lose, and be rescued by a superhero or two out of sheer pity forcing Dreadknight to re-think his life and realize that maybe he's been going about his life the wrong way all this time and either becomes a more powerful villain or an anti-hero looking for redemption!

Argantyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Argantyr

@infonation: I completely agree, I think it would be somewhat poetic if Dreadknight through his engineering intellect were to wage battle against the magically powerful Dr. Doom, Technology vs Mysticism, to find that his bid for revenge has almost cost him his own life [Though after a brutal battle] only to be saved by the Thunderbolts. He could have his wounds treated, and serve as a background character while recouperating within the prison. Perhaps, he could eventually be drafted onto the T-bolts as a tech expert, and forced to reflect on his choices without being in a coma or thrall to some sorceress.

I think that if there was a somewhat updated version of Dreadknight's old costume, it would look pretty damn good for an Anti-Hero angle, but I wouldn't suspect him going that way until atleast being in a solid story arc or two, or atleast 20 issues to develop up to it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.