The good and bad things of Dragon Ball Z discussion thread

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Nighthunter

Ok Dragon Ball Z is the most popular anime ever created, no one can deny that. I loved the show when I was a kid, but now that I see the episodes again I realize that the show wasn't as good as I thought it was.

Post here what you like and what you don't like about Dragon Ball Z and keep it positive

This will be a debate so no insults or attacks are need and that includes "Dragon Ball sucks" as well as "Goku is the greatest guy ever created, end of story" except of course if you can give reasons behind that statement

I repeat, keep it positive

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Nighthunter

ok the first thing I want to say that I dislike about Dragon Ball Z is that their characters have unlimited power.

People complain that guys like Superman are overpowered, while this is true at least he has a limit while Dragon Ball characters just do a few days months or one year of training and keep increasing their power levels.

There will come a time when they'll explode Earth with just showing their Ki lol

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Nighthunter

Second point, story is basically always the same

Steps:

1. Powerfull enemies and/or androids suddenly appear on Earth

2. Poor earthlings die and/or Earth is destroyed

3. Z-fighters fight back and a major character dies/is gravely injured

4. The heroes fight on and transform to the next level of Super Saiyan

5. Good guys win, but only after many episodes, long periods of charging up, much explanation, and hours of floating battles

6. Bad guy(s) die

7. The dead good guys are brought back to life via the power of the dragon balls

8. Brief period of happiness/celebration

9. Return to Step 1
      Post Edited:2008-05-11 03:56:10

Xeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Xeron

I seriously have no problem with the bad guys dying, I believe Batman should have slaughtered Joker many years ago. And you're missing the point that stronger and stronger people can appear. You can see it in competitions, this year's people are stronger than last year's people.

DragonGateAcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By DragonGateAcer

I think when your younger its a really cool show to watch because you dont care about its imperfections i mean who wouldnt want to shoot out a beam of energy that can destroy the planet or move at speeds that make you go WTF when your younger but as i grew older i noticed the things that are bad with it overly powerful characters way to much talking in battle and not a solid storyline. It had great fight sequences when they werent talking and some great moments for example Goku going super saiyan to this very day gives me goosebumps. The characters are way to powerful i admit but it kind of sends a message out that we should all work harder to achieve our goals. Finally i believe Dragonball should get respect on this site the show that kick started it all and to this day is one of the best animes ever created.

zero edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By zero edge

Things I liked:

from a story stand point, Goku's arrival to Namek through the Buu Saga.

I guess that's really the only positive I can say... things I dislike... too much to list.. DBZ used to be one of my favorite shows, and I even was about to buy a few of the complete sagas on DVD... but after being on CV and seeing those hardcore DBZ fans.. I'm done with it.

Danko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Danko

soul taker says:

"I think when your younger its a really cool show to watch because you dont care about its imperfections i mean who wouldnt want to shoot out a beam of energy that can destroy the planet or move at speeds that make you go WTF when your younger but as i grew older i noticed the things that are bad with it overly powerful characters way to much talking in battle and not a solid storyline. It had great fight sequences when they werent talking and some great moments for example Goku going super saiyan to this very day gives me goosebumps. The characters are way to powerful i admit but it kind of sends a message out that we should all work harder to achieve our goals. Finally i believe Dragonball should get respect on this site the show that kick started it all and to this day is one of the best animes ever created."

I wouldn't say best anime, but one of the most popular. Anyway, i used to like it as a kid. Imagine being able to do all that. But i have to say it irritates me a lot to see those characters get stronger so fast, and never having a limit to their power.

DragonGateAcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DragonGateAcer

Danko says:

"soul taker says:
    "I think when your younger its a really cool show to watch because you dont care about its imperfections i mean who wouldnt want to shoot out a beam of energy that can destroy the planet or move at speeds that make you go WTF when your younger but as i grew older i noticed the things that are bad with it overly powerful characters way to much talking in battle and not a solid storyline. It had great fight sequences when they werent talking and some great moments for example Goku going super saiyan to this very day gives me goosebumps. The characters are way to powerful i admit but it kind of sends a message out that we should all work harder to achieve our goals. Finally i believe Dragonball should get respect on this site the show that kick started it all and to this day is one of the best animes ever created."
    I wouldn't say best anime, but one of the most popular. Anyway, i used to like it as a kid. Imagine being able to do all that. But i have to say it irritates me a lot to see those characters get stronger so fast, and never having a limit to their power. "

I agree the characters became way to powerful they should have dealt with problems otherways but come on Dragonball Z is a million times better than GT now that show sucked but like i said Dragonball should get some respect and not just the whole franchise but each show inparticular for the good things they brought.

Beast_mode999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Bump

JohnCena69swag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol why

Avatar image for nemesisreloaded
    NemesisReloaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's less of a bump and more of a massive unadulterated necro-post LOL

But I disagree that the characters have unlimited power. I've found limits. In DBS they've been said to have limits. While its true that DBZ lovers tend to hate Superman for being over-powered and always having the power to win, that's basically what Goku does too (even in the Cell Games saga he could've just taken a senzu bean and whooped Cells ass like he did to get strong enough to take Frieza on after nearly dying from the Ginyu saga), but that doesn't mean they have unlimited power.

I like the bad guys dying, but if it suits the story I like them living too. But it does bring me onto what I don't like about DBZ - the wrong character development.

And who the hell am I to say what's right for the story? Well, I have no right, but Goku always had a pure heart (thats why he could ride the Flying Nimbus) and he'd kill the bad guys if he needed to like Demon King Piccolo (or so he thought), or a bunch of the Red Ribbon guys, Mercenary Tao (or so he thought). The point is, the willingness to kill was there, look what it took for Goku to finally kill off Frieza? Gohan's a different character I have no problem with Gohan not wanting to kill bad guys, he's always been that way. But Goku? Come on!

Aimless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love:Iconic transformations and designs.Some of the most intense fight scenes.High tension during arcs like Namek and Saiyan saga and a few interesting plot twists.Fairly unique world featuring characters with various sizes and colours.Certain non generic concepts and motivations (e.g Beerus).Some heart warming/breaking moments.Overall good music and dialogues.

Hate:Fairly one dimensional plot post Namek saga.Lack of character development for many important cast members.Most villans have poor motivations for being evil.Very few characters get a chance to shine later in the series.Protagonist's personality is borderline enraging.Some of the recent designs are very uninspiring.Tendency to repeat plot every arc is high.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.