Dr. Manhattan respect thread

#1 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

Normally i'm completely against respect threads, because too many people have been making one off threads and then letting them die with just dozens of pictures in them about the character which can easily been seen in the gallery...

this thread ISN'T for that, here i want to actually discuss the brilliant character Dr. Manhattan with people who are intrigued by the character as much as i am...

so come in, talk about the blue man with dubious ethics and amazing power... what makes him tick? lol

M

#2 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

he was awesome

#3 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

he was, one of the very few characters i was really intrigued by and found myself wanting to read more about once the series had finished.

it was a very ambiguous character, i really wish they'd give him his own series, show how he perceived the world...

M

#4 Posted by Assimilation2 (736 posts) - - Show Bio

Dr. manhattan was the biggest comic book example of the inevibility of fate, and he always reminded me of the aliens of Slaughterhouse Five and their ability to see all of time playing out in a moment, and even though he was al powerful, he was not a bland character, but one of the most rich in the series. I loved the big blue nudist
Post Edited:2008-03-26 17:54:53

#5 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

lol, yup, the blue guy is woefully understated on here...

time to give Manhattan some love :p

M

#6 Posted by Assimilation2 (736 posts) - - Show Bio

true, let us bask in his glory

and I know you said no pics, but this isn't in his gallery, so yay loopholes.

#7 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

lol, i don't mind a few pictures, i just don't want a respect thread full of them when there's such a diverse character to talk about

M

#8 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

While Dr Manhattan exists outside of time, and has pure knowledge of the past, present and future, he is unable to effect any events...

Fate is everything to him, if something is going to happen, then as much as he wants to, he literally cannot interfere...

he knows what's going to happen, when it's going to happen, and no matter what he does, it will always happen exactly the way he sees it... in that perspective i suppose he is the most lonely superhero ever

M

#9 Posted by Assimilation2 (736 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"lol, i don't mind a few pictures, i just don't want a respect thread full of them when there's such a diverse character to talk about M"

understandable, but unless you do some cencoring for manhattan anyways, it's kinda hard to put pics up.

Anywaya, serious question. If Dr. Manhatan, who, despite his ability to have stopped all that hapened in new york, probably could have stopped the cold war by himself, and could have even brought all the characters who died in New york, why didn't he? I mean, you couldsay that it was his inability to do so if it is against his fate, as he could not logically know it before hand, and therefore wouldn't be able to do so, even though he knew it was coming, but if he was such a good character, then wouldn't his fate have been to bring everyone in New York back to life?

#10 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah... when it's a character by Alan Moore you really have to look into every word spoken lol

M

#11 Posted by Assimilation2 (736 posts) - - Show Bio

true, and it makes you wonder, did he really mean by what he said at the end of the series, as in time would never end, or did he just mean for veidt, who would eventually die? If it is the latter, though, then that suggests that there is either an afterlife or rebirth. I might just be over tinking this, but when it comes to alan moore, everything needs to be questioned.

#12 Posted by Assimilation2 (736 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"yeah... when it's a character by Alan Moore you really have to look into every word spoken lol M"

best comic writer ever, in my opinion, which is one of the reasons i first ever got into Dr. manhattan.

#13 Posted by Nerx (15087 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite naked floating blue guy, he should be in the blue man group lol

#14 Posted by the creator (8577 posts) - - Show Bio
Methos said:
"

While Dr Manhattan exists outside of time, and has pure knowledge of the past, present and future, he is unable to effect any events...

Fate is everything to him, if something is going to happen, then as much as he wants to, he literally cannot interfere...

he knows what's going to happen, when it's going to happen, and no matter what he does, it will always happen exactly the way he sees it... in that perspective i suppose he is the most lonely superhero ever

M

"
If you mean by existing out of time, that he is experiencing all events throughout his own timeline simultanesouly (time is non linear for him) then I agree.
As all events are happening simultaneously for him, he cannot alter them because events that for us might be happening 20 years from now, have already happened for him.
In this, his fate is fixed as every decision and action has already been decided.
#15 Posted by TheDrifter (26563 posts) - - Show Bio
Nerx said:
"My favorite naked floating blue guy, he should be in the blue man group lol"
Agreed :P
#16 Edited by WELLDONE (12 posts) - - Show Bio

lol at there not being any feats here

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.