Can He Die?????

#1 Posted by Crimson Clown (122 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay I was sitting in school the other day bored (Like most teens are in school) and was thinking, I know he can make it where bullets can go through him and all, but can he be hurt? it got me thinking and well I figured I ask the People of Comic Vine this, Can Dr. Manhattan be Hurt/Killed????

#2 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, Manhattan can un-do anything that is done to him.  Even Ozy managed to disassemble his intrinsic fields, but he was still able to reassemble himself.  I can't think of anything anyone else can do to him that he couldn't undo.

#3 Posted by gunswordfist (2669 posts) - - Show Bio

No, it's like saying can a lightbulb die.

#4 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
gunswordfist said:
"No, it's like saying can a lightbulb die."
In that sense, yes, he can die.
#5 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

There isn't enough empirical evidence to say whether he can die or not, IMO. Watchmen only ran 13 issues, and I don't think Alan Moore ever intended on answering questions like this.

#6 Posted by Attrition (319 posts) - - Show Bio

Well hes dead inside(emotions and junk)
so i guess he can die :P

#7 Posted by Crimson Clown (122 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for all the Awnsers Guys and Girls, and when did we start talking about a lightbulb?

#8 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

The real question is, is it a regular lightbulb.....or.....a fluorescent one....?

#9 Posted by Attrition (319 posts) - - Show Bio
Babs said:
"The real question is, is it a regular lightbulb.....or.....a fluorescent one....?"
is  it solar powered? or does it run on ethanol?
#10 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
Babs said:
"The real question is, is it a regular lightbulb.....or.....a fluorescent one....?"
Definitely CFL. Manhattan helped invent electric cars, remember?
#11 Edited by Crimson Clown (122 posts) - - Show Bio
Korg said:
"Babs said:
Definitely CFL. Manhattan helped invent electric cars, remember?"
This is Funny! First we go from a super-powered human to...get ready...a Lightbulb!
#12 Posted by Attrition (319 posts) - - Show Bio

We digress

#13 Posted by Crimson Clown (122 posts) - - Show Bio

I just learned something new...unplug the lamp before taking the bulb out! (Shocking!)

#14 Posted by gunswordfist (2669 posts) - - Show Bio
Babs said:
"gunswordfist said:
"No, it's like saying can a lightbulb die."
In that sense, yes, he can die."

Ohhhh...I see what you mean. I was about to say 'Dr. Manhattan can't die from being smashed into a million pieces.' lol I don't know if the energy that he's made of can ever fizzle out though. It's hard to say.
#15 Posted by Crimson Clown (122 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmmmmmmm...(Pulls out a book) "How To Kill a Super-Hero for Dummies"

#16 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

You'll need to get the follow-up book: "How To Kill a God-Like Being for People Who are Totally Screwed"

#17 Posted by Crimson Clown (122 posts) - - Show Bio
Korg said:
"You'll need to get the follow-up book: "How To Kill a God-Like Being for People Who are Totally Screwed""
Hahahaha, be then I'll already be dead, it's not like I can say "Wait! hang on Doc let me pull out my handy dandy, How to kill a super-person 101, book!" 
#18 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

Who writes these books anyway?

#19 Posted by Crimson Clown (122 posts) - - Show Bio
Korg said:
"Who writes these books anyway?"

...Dr. Manhattan
#20 Posted by gunswordfist (2669 posts) - - Show Bio
Korg said:

Hmmm...let me check. It says 'Written by Dr. Manhattan'...uh yeah we're screwed.
#21 Posted by Crimson Clown (122 posts) - - Show Bio
gunswordfist said:
"Korg said:
Hmmm...let me check. It says 'Written by Dr. Manhattan'...uh yeah we're screwed."
Weeeeeell, you know they say, if you can't beat them, join them (Or Be DESTROYED!!!)
#22 Posted by gunswordfist (2669 posts) - - Show Bio
Crimson Clown said:
"gunswordfist said:
"Korg said:
Hmmm...let me check. It says 'Written by Dr. Manhattan'...uh yeah we're screwed."
Weeeeeell, you know they say, if you can't beat them, join them (Or Be DESTROYED!!!)"

*applies for job to be Dr. Manhattan's new aide*
#23 Edited by Attrition (319 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol,
Its like when youre told to go into the feetle position(however you spell it) when youre getting attacked by a bear.
But bears are the ones who told people to do that. lol

#24 Edited by Crimson Clown (122 posts) - - Show Bio
gunswordfist said:
"Crimson Clown said:
"gunswordfist said:
"Korg said:
Weeeeeell, you know they say, if you can't beat them, join them (Or Be DESTROYED!!!)"
*applies for job to be Dr. Manhattan's new aide*"
Gets the job...But gets fired the next day!
#25 Posted by gunswordfist (2669 posts) - - Show Bio
Attrition said:
"Lol,Its like when youre told to go into the feetle position(however you spell it) when youre getting attacked by a bear.But bears are the ones who told people to do that. lol"

lol It sure is.Crimson Clown said:
"gunswordfist said:
"Crimson Clown said:
"gunswordfist said:
"Korg said:
Gets the job...But gets fired the next day!"

And by fired you mine I get turned into a bowl of flaming cheerios just because Dr. Manhattan can do that.
#26 Posted by Psychotime (623 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably only if he wants to.

#27 Posted by Crimson Clown (122 posts) - - Show Bio
gunswordfist said:
"Attrition said:
"Lol,Its like when youre told to go into the feetle position(however you spell it) when youre getting attacked by a bear.But bears are the ones who told people to do that. lol"

"gunswordfist said:
"Crimson Clown said:
"gunswordfist said:
"Korg said:
And by fired you mine I get turned into a bowl of flaming cheerios just because Dr. Manhattan can do that."
Hmmmmmmm...I was thinking Froot Loops
#28 Posted by gunswordfist (2669 posts) - - Show Bio
Crimson Clown said:
"gunswordfist said:
"Attrition said:

"gunswordfist said:
"Crimson Clown said:
"gunswordfist said:
"Korg said:
And by fired you mine I get turned into a bowl of flaming cheerios just because Dr. Manhattan can do that."
Hmmmmmmm...I was thinking Froot Loops"
Nah, Dr. Manhattan is a cruel bastard so he'd turn me into something flavorless.
#29 Posted by Crimson Clown (122 posts) - - Show Bio
gunswordfist said:
"Crimson Clown said:
"gunswordfist said:
"Attrition said:

"gunswordfist said:
"Crimson Clown said:
"gunswordfist said:
"Korg said:
Hmmmmmmm...I was thinking Froot Loops"
Nah, Dr. Manhattan is a cruel bastard so he'd turn me into something flavorless."
HAHAHAHA...so sad
#30 Posted by gunswordfist (2669 posts) - - Show Bio

Sad?!!! Do you know how hard it is to try and have kids when you're cereal that tastes like cardboard box?

#31 Posted by Crimson Clown (122 posts) - - Show Bio
gunswordfist said:
"Sad?!!! Do you know how hard it is to try and have kids when you're cereal that tastes like cardboard box?"

Hmmmmm, one of the Big Questions of the Uinverse!
#32 Posted by Magnus/Murdock (428 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes he can be killed. A time traveler can go to the past and kill  Osterman, thus erasing Manhattan out of existence LOL

#33 Posted by BattleHeiz (642 posts) - - Show Bio

can't he be absorbed???

#34 Posted by kore (373 posts) - - Show Bio

Anything  or anybody that is alive can die.

#35 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4721 posts) - - Show Bio
@kore said:
" Anything  or anybody that is alive can die. "
but hes not alive technically... he has no human perception of Time... and doesnt meet some requirements to be referred as a being that is alive... he doesnt need to eat or sleep... he doesnt need energy to survive... i forgot the other requirements... but yea... its something like that

#36 Edited by Yung ANcient One (4721 posts) - - Show Bio

Aye i jus came up with a story... 

Dr.MAnhattan commits Suicide... he decides... that being/ or continuously creating a Physical Body for himself is useless... now that he has traveled threw out teh galaxy and has seen everything and experienced everything...  except death... or basically a END... a ending... plants die... suns blow up... water evaporates... Everything has a ending... so he decides.. to separate his  sub-atomic particles... in his body and scatters them and recycles them to be used for a different purpose... like Oxygen... Sun particles... etc... and his quantum mind... deteriorates and is  turned into another type of quantum matter or soemthing like that

#37 Posted by Mr. Miraculous (2 posts) - - Show Bio

I   hypothesis    since I don't have any evidence that he can die the same way a eternal can.
#38 Edited by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

Dr. Manhatten has become a man of pure matter, and we all know matter can't simply vanish into nothingness. water becomes gaseous, then becomes a cloud, then rains down to water again, and maybe even freezes.

Though i am sure Dr. Manhatten's awareness can be put to a flatline of sorts in the way a coma would work. Ozymandias' research in Tachyons (Tachions)  was already able to block his future awareness, if he'd projectile a concentrated proportion unto Manhatten it would have that very effect on the presence and maybe even past, could alter him to the point where he was before he became manhatten and therefore would make him human, and killable.

#39 Posted by DEGRAAF (7875 posts) - - Show Bio

what im curious about is that in the movie he states that it is impossible to create gold our of air or oxygen. In either case unless he can not tranmutate molecules (like when they state he can turn bullets in to something) he should be able to accomplish this task
#40 Posted by VIZION2011 (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure Elder god or time travler can go back in time and prevent him from ever being born, or whom ever can control creation can negate his exsistance. That would be the only ways I could think of to get rid of the big blue guy.

#41 Posted by alexander121793 (227 posts) - - Show Bio

He cannot die unless he want's to.

Dr. Manhattan is general immune to all damage in fact the only way he was ever harmed was when he was disentigrated by the removal of his intresic field(basicly the force that holds all of his being togethor) and even then he returned good as new in several minutes.

If disentration can't kill him and if the removal of the very forces that hold his very being togethor don't kill him I dout any physical harm would kill him.

Even if you attempt to go back in time and kill him before his accedent sense he sees his past, present, and future at once what is their that can stop him from preventing you from traveling back in time.

So in a physical sense he cannot die unless he he possibly wills himself to die.

Though he can be mentaly dieing after all ever sense gaining his powers he was becoming more and more distant from humanity.

So in a way before his talk with Lori on mars he was in fact dieing a mental sense.

Though that point is sort of mute now that he has started to regain some of his humanity.

In a physical sense unless he probally wills himself to die he most likely won't be dieing anytime soon.

#42 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

I can only think of abstracts...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.