Follow

Dr. Horrible

Character » Dr. Horrible appears in 7 issues.

"I have a PhD in horribleness." -Dr. Horrible

DR. Horrible #1 Review, Could There Be Singing In This Review?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

I've mentioned before that I really enjoyed Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog.  Neil Patrick Harris and Nathan Fillion were great.  It was a fun story but having the music thrown in is what separated it from other projects.  I have been wanting more since I watched the episodes.  Now Dark Horse has put out a Dr. Horrible comic.  Obviously there won't be singing involved.  How will the comic hold up if there isn't and music or singing?

Despite the lack of singing, it was an enjoyable comic.  It's nice seeing that moment that Dr. Horrible went from being a normal (intelligent) kid to deciding that evil is where it's at.  The story holds up and gives us a closer look at the characters.  We even get to see Dr. Horrible's first encounter with Captain Hammer.  Zack Whedon had a difficult task to make this work since we don't get the hook of having music.  I like seeing that Dr. Horrible is a brilliant guy, even if he believes being evil is the way to go.  If he's going to 'invent' a freeze ray, he'll need that intelligence.  

The combination of Joelle Jones' art and Dan Jackson's colors adds to separating this comic from the 'blog' as well.  The characters do resemble their real live counterparts yet retain an art style that is clearly Jones.'  It sometimes bothers me when artists try to change their style to look more like what the material is adapted from.  I say if an artist is working on a book, they should do so in their own style.

It would be interesting to see if we'll get more Dr. Horrible stories.  While this one works here, I'm not sure how well it would do long term without the musical hook of the Sing Along Blog.  Dark Horse accomplished what they set out to do with this title.  You get a nice entertaining self-contained story.  Fans of the Blog will enjoy this book.  If you've never watched the episodes, you can still come into this comic and follow along with the characters.
    Quest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Quest

nice review  i like the music idea and your singing 

iloverobots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By iloverobots

I loved the sing-along blog so I picked up the comic and I wasn't disappointed. I think the art was perfect for that kind of story and I really hope to see more of those in the future (and I wouldn't be surprised because I think the sales were pretty good too!)

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    That's a brilliant idea for the music in the comics, but that would skyrocket the cost. Ever compare those musical cards to a regular card? I wouldn't want to imagine what that would do to a comic price.

"Make it your Own, and OWN It!" You sounded like a motivational speaker there. lol

@Emperor Gonzo Noir: 
    That happened to me as well, but it started working after a while.
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

OWN IT!
    Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Jotham

So your one complaint about the comic is there's no music in it?

The Psyentist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The Psyentist

Must get this!!!

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

@The Psyentist:
    surprised you didn't know about this
    SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By SevanGrim

i already knew this comic would be bomb! Zach already has several co-writer credits under his belt, and the characters of DHSAB where strong without the singing. 
     This could easily become its own universe. The feel of the characters feels very much like the Tick.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Media_Master

Sounds a good, now to check out the sing-a-long blog.

Tainted-Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Tainted-Cell

Imagine if the comic was done AS a sing-along. Put in some floating notes and what not, but fix the dialogue to be lyrical. I love Dr Horrible, and just about anything with Neil Patrick Harris and Nathan Fillion. Gonna pick this one up for sure.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#11  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @Media_Master: If you click the link in the first sentence, it'll take you straight to the iTunes page.  I'm sure if more people 'support' it, we could possibly see a sequel sooner.
    Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

G-Man is gonna do a comicvine musical I can tell.  It's gonna happen.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.