Dormammu?

#1 Posted by BlackWind (6496 posts) - - Show Bio

School me on Dormammu. Is he any good? He seems like a generic evil conqueror to me. What are his motivates? What's he like personality-wise?

#2 Edited by CosmicSpiral (5470 posts) - - Show Bio

Dormammu is an interdimensional sorcerer who is constantly seeking to conquer other dimensions and add them to the Dark Dimension. He serves as the main antagonist to Doctor Strange.

His ambition comes partially from his heritage (extra-dimensional energy being who hitchhiked into the material realms) and an inflated view of his personal ability. He's pretty goddamn dangerous and can make herald-level characters like Silver Surfer his personal bitches, but Dormammu is crazy enough to fight Eternity. A third explanation said by Dormammu himself is that he is bored of ruling the Dark Dimension and craves the excitement of (possible) conquest.

It's hard to pinpoint his personality since no one has really written him consistently as a whole. There are a few things that seem to carry over from series to series: extremely knowledgeable on the dark arts, arrogant towards "lower" creatures that only exist on the physical plane, malevolently patient when it comes to long-term plans, infinitely ambitious, and he likes to gloat over defeated enemies. Giffen's Defenders run emphasizes the brother-sister discord between Dorm and Umar, but it was never that harsh in previous or future comics. Dorm also has a weird moral code like Doctor Doom. Dorm will not break promises or fight "unfairly" and punishes minions who do so.

#3 Posted by BlackWind (6496 posts) - - Show Bio

@CosmicSpiral: Thanks, though Darkseid is still the only lord of evil in town for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.