Doomsday on Smallville

#1 Posted by Venom=sickest (143 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, I admit, I haven't actively watched Smallville at all since season 4, or something like that.

But when I heard about the inclusion of Doomsday into the series, I was pretty disgusted.

My whole understanding with Smallville is that the show is basically leading up to Clark Kent's transformation into Superman. Am I wrong? So, with this said, obviously the show will allude to future characters and villains who will play major roles in Superman's story, like Lex Luthor, Lois Lane and Brainiac.

I can understand having Brainiac enter the show (as he is one of Superman's biggest rivals), but this Doomsday shit is  ridiculous. Doomsday is not a human. He's an alien created to be the ultimate fighter (and later, the creature who would kill Superman), and for him to have these dual personalities is silly.

Personally, I think, given that Superman and Doomsday don't encounter each other until YEARS after Superman becomes an established super hero, the creators of Smallville should not have included him into Smallville. It messes up the continuity of the series. What, so now it turns out Superman knew of Doomsday all these years but forgot to pursue him? He just forgot about him? Fuck that.

This is just an attempt to have a surprise character enter the show so people can say, "OH COOL DOOMSDAY IS IN IT NOW". But what it really does is make the show look like it doesn't give a fuck about cannon or continuity. It ruins the integrity of the show.

I think they're screwing up. I am all for an artist's interreptation on a well known character, but there's a limit for everything. The Doomsday I know doesn't have a "human form" or seem likable, he's a ruthless killer, and they should have left him out completely.

#2 Posted by Thunderstone (579 posts) - - Show Bio

I disagree with you because if you read up on the history of dooms day youll find out that originally he was a kryptonian baby that looked human but was killed over and over

#4 Posted by Venom=sickest (143 posts) - - Show Bio
Thunderstone said:
"I disagree with you because if you read up on the history of dooms day youll find out that originally he was a kryptonian baby that looked human but was killed over and over"
I know about that, but in no version of him was he an intelligent human named Louis who didn't know of his alter ego. He didn't have  an alter ego, that's the whole point.

Voidheart
said:
"http://www.comicvine.com/superman/29-1807/smallville-new-series-spoiler-warning/92-20240/?page=last#reply_form"
Yes, I am aware that he changes into Doomsday. Jesus, it's like talking to a wall with you people.

Doomsday and Superman, in my opinion, should not meet. At least, not in this series. For them to include Doomsday, they might as well include Batman, Mr. Mxyzptlk and the whole damn Justice Leauge. It's just showboating for the sake of ratings.
#5 Posted by SUNMAN (7228 posts) - - Show Bio
Venom=sickest said:
"Thunderstone said:
"I disagree with you because if you read up on the history of dooms day youll find out that originally he was a kryptonian baby that looked human but was killed over and over"
I know about that, but in no version of him was he an intelligent human named Louis who didn't know of his alter ego. He didn't have  an alter ego, that's the whole point.

Voidheart
said:
"http://www.comicvine.com/superman/29-1807/smallville-new-series-spoiler-warning/92-20240/?page=last#reply_form"
Yes, I am aware that he changes into Doomsday. Jesus, it's like talking to a wall with you people.

Doomsday and Superman, in my opinion, should not meet. At least, not in this series. For them to include Doomsday, they might as well include Batman, Mr. Mxyzptlk and the whole damn Justice Leauge. It's just showboating for the sake of ratings.
"
I mean if you have followed Smallville it is not completely true to the superman mythos. He should be able to fly by now, he never did over half his stuff or met half these people before he became Superman. This show is not telling the exact same story that people know, it is different. Of course it is about ratings what do you think the goal of the show is.
#6 Posted by Venom=sickest (143 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, Smallville is a new interpretation. I get that. I just don't like how they're taking it, and this Doomsday thing really irks me for some reason.

#7 Posted by Zadann MaRanna (87 posts) - - Show Bio

Smallville has nothing to do with the comics... Their continuity is up to them, if they want Luthor dead he's dead, it won't affect anyone else. You must remember as a TV SERIES it is entitled to write it's own history as well, not just follow what was written in decades of comic books.

#8 Posted by Constantine (16046 posts) - - Show Bio

they wouldnt kill Luthor

#9 Posted by SUNMAN (7228 posts) - - Show Bio
Venom=sickest said:
"Yes, Smallville is a new interpretation. I get that. I just don't like how they're taking it, and this Doomsday thing really irks me for some reason.
"
Thats the one thing that has irked you. A couple things have irked me about the show. Clark should be Superman right now. I hate how everyone in their mom has access to Kryptonite too. Besides that it is okay, and I got over it because I realized this is a tv series with no real obligation to the comics. Just like other comic shows.
#10 Posted by Venom=sickest (143 posts) - - Show Bio

You know, that whole damn show started to irk me, now that I think about it. Maybe that's why I stopped watching in 05, or whenever that was, lol.

#11 Posted by Zadann MaRanna (87 posts) - - Show Bio
Constantine said:
"they wouldnt kill Luthor
"
hypothetically speaking they can do whatever they want.... Their the ones that write the whole g#d da#m script.
#12 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
SUNMAN said:
"Venom=sickest said:
"Yes, Smallville is a new interpretation. I get that. I just don't like how they're taking it, and this Doomsday thing really irks me for some reason.
"
Thats the one thing that has irked you. A couple things have irked me about the show. Clark should be Superman right now. I hate how everyone in their mom has access to Kryptonite too. Besides that it is okay, and I got over it because I realized this is a tv series with no real obligation to the comics. Just like other comic shows.
"
back in the comics everyone and their mom had access to Kryptonite too...and it'd only make sense that the place where the meteor shower took place would be infested with it...
#13 Posted by cascadeking09 (6752 posts) - - Show Bio
@SUNMAN: Everybody has acces to kryptonite because the meteors hit in smallville and theirs lots of it around.
#14 Posted by cascadeking09 (6752 posts) - - Show Bio
@Venom=sickest said:
" Yes, Smallville is a new interpretation. I get that. I just don't like how they're taking it, and this Doomsday thing really irks me for some reason. "
In case you didnt know doomsday has been somethin different everytime they introduce him, origanally he was put together from clark's dna. After that they made him be a space creature from another planet, and now hes a kryptonian. it dont make no since to be mad about somethin that aint never been the same anyway. im just glade they aint make him put on a space suit to fly around in outer space.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.