Miss the Doom Patrol?

#1 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio
Any chance that we’re going ot see the Doom Patrol again? John Byrne brought them back and then Geoff Johns helped refresh them for the modern-day DCU, and since then...not much. Anything on the horizon?

DD: You got it – Doom Patrol’s coming back.

18. Where? When? How? What?

DD: All of those can be answered in a question session later. [laughs] But it will be back in 2009.
#2 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

Good to know.

#3 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

would it be too much to ask to have Morrison as the writer?

caption
#4 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison's stuff was just weird.  Good, but weird.

I wouldn't really want him to take over the current team.

#5 Posted by Demitri_Nostrovich (22 posts) - - Show Bio

Hands down Morrisons take on DP was superb. Just finished it the other night and WOW.

#6 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

DiDio asked Giffen what his post-Reign in Hell comic will be. "Two words: Doom Patrol," said the veteran creator. Giffen then asked how many of the crowd were fans of the Grant Morrison Doom Patrol. Many cheered. "You're going to be really disappointed," said Giffen. "How about the original Doom Patrol?" Slightly less cheers, but still positive. "You guys are going to be really disappointed," said Giffen, playing the audience. He said that they were going to make the Doom Patrol accessible to people. 

#7 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

people liked the Doom Patrol? but the comic failed horribly the first time around...they just had to kill everyone off

though I do want to read the Vertigo version admittedly

#8 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio

The Doom Patrol when Erik Larsen was on the book.

#9 Posted by Djinn (778 posts) - - Show Bio

i just liked Crazy Jane

#10 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

Sat, February 7th, 2009 at 2:46PM PST

Text Size

Keith Giffen's "Doom Patrol" will be different than Grant Morisson's

If ever a writer was so perfectly suited to a project, this ink-stained wretch simply can’t recall.

It was announced today at New York Comic Con that legendary creator Keith Giffen (“Justice League International”) is bringing “Doom Patrol” back to the DCU in a very big way with a brand spanking new ongoing series.

The other big news regarding “Doom Patrol” was that his co-conspirator on “JLI” Kevin Maguire is drawing a 10-page “Metal Men” backup series in the title.

The artist was not named for the “Doom Patrol” lead story.

Giffen told CBR News, “I have been actively after ‘Doom Patrol’ for the last five years. The only book I mounted a like campaign to get was way, way back when I kept after Andy Helfer to give me a shot at ‘Justice League.’ And I guess that’s part of history now.”

“I don’t go into the DC offices and ask for Superman or Batman or Justice League books. Or whatever happens to be riding high,” said the DC exclusive writer. “I tend to like the books that either aren’t being published or aren’t doing too well but to my way of thinking have this enormous untapped potential. And Doom Patrol definitely falls into that category. I was actually thrilled when DC called and said I could have Doom Patrol.”

Doom Patrol was devised by writers Arnold Drake and Bob Haney, artist Bruno Premiani and editor Murray Boltinoff and the team made its first appearance in “My Greatest Adventure” #80 in June 1963. All told, Doom Patrol has been launched, rebooted and revisited a half dozen times by DCU, perhaps most notably by Grant Morrison in the late 1980s.

Considered by many within the industry as a touchstone for the original X-Men, the first incarnation of the super-powered freaks featured Robotman, Negative Man, Elasti-Girl and their leader, The Chief, the wheelchair-bound Dr. Niles Caulder.

Giffen is going back to the future and re-launching the franchise with the classic lineup.

“We’re not ignoring the other characters; it’s just that the focus will be on those three characters, and of course, the Chief. They’ll be the primary movers in the book. Characters like Mento or Bumblebee or the chick with the four-armed ape, they will play into the book as they play into the book, but not as the primary characters.”

There would be no Robotman if not for The Chief. After Dr. Caulder caused a car crash that destroyed Cliff Steele’s body, the super-genius built a super-powered cyborg shell for the surviving brain to reside. Elasti-Girl was originally Rita Farr, a Hollywood actress, who was exposed to bizarre volcanic gases while shooting a movie in Africa. The end result was that Farr could expand or shrink her body to any size she wished. Larry Trainor was a test pilot but when he flew through a radioactive field in the atmosphere, he not only became the radioactive Negative Man himself but he developed the ability to project a negatively-charged energy being from his body. While the Negative Spirit attacks, Trainor is weakened to near death.

Asked if he was simplifying the team to better manage the title at the outset, Giffen quipped, “Actually, I thought all the other characters were kind of lame, sorry. Keep in mind, opinions are like assholes. Everyone’s got one. And I’m no different. It’s just my opinion. I just didn’t care for a lot of the characters that were tacked on to the Doom Patrol. I like those three basic characters.

“Somewhere down the line, if we can come up with a good riff that will work within the dynamic of the team, we might bring in somebody else, but unlike Justice League where a lot of the time, you would have characters introduced and they would work within the framework of the group, I never thought any of the extra add-ons in Doom Patrol really worked.

“It was kind of like, well, we have nowhere else to put this guy, let’s put him in Doom Patrol. And I really wanted to get back to the core group. Look, people who are Doom Patrol fans always hearken back to the original Doom Patrol book for better or worse. They had some great moments and they have had some horrifying moments. And I think it’s time to recapture that – without going retro.”

Keith Giffen's "Doom Patrol" will be kind of similar to Arnold Drake's

While being tagged outcasts and misfits easily aligns Doom Patrol with the X-Men, Giffen said the team’s sense of family connects them with Stan Lee and Jack Kirby’s original run on “Fantastic Four,” as well.

“Doom Patrol has elements of a lot of other things in it. I know there is that argument of which came first, X-Men or Doom Patrol? It’s the classic chicken or the egg. And Grant Morrison showed the characters can embrace some really bizarre storylines. But while it has elements of those kinds of outcasts, it also focuses on family, like Fantastic Four,” explained Giffen.

“One of the things that [DCU Executive Editor] Dan DiDio and I talked about extensively about Doom Patrol was accessibility. And the way they use to do it way back when. If you think about ‘Fantastic Four,’ as a kid, I always thought it was ridiculous because in every issue, The Thing and Johnny would fight.

“And now I realize in one page, The Thing and Johnny would have a fight, Reed would get involved, Sue turned invisible so she didn’t get hit by debris and ba-da-boom, in that one page you knew the characters and their powers. Boom! Move onto the next story. Anybody could get into one of those old ‘Fantastic Four’ stories because you knew who they were.

“I’m not saying that the Doom Patrol is going to fight every issue. But I’m going to apply that paradigm to them. So even if you first pick it up with #8 or #9, you know what you are getting into, you know who the characters are and you can start enjoying the story. It’s not like you’re going to be walking in on the eighth or ninth installment of a complicated soap opera. We’re not doing ‘Twin Peaks.’”

Giffen said DC has lots of superheroes, who are in equal or worse circumstances than Doom Patrol, in terms of being outcasts. But those other heroes found a place in the superhero community.

“I wanted to try and explore that mindset as to why Doom Patrol isn’t a part of the superhero community,” offered Giffen. “They are odd outcasts. I think Geoff [Johns] did it real well in ‘Teen Titans’ where Doom Patrol appeared and the Titans were kind of uneasy around them because of their run-ins in the past. Between that and the stories that can be told when you have the name Doom Patrol. It’s like Suicide Squad. Those are two teams that would be really hard to get people to join. It’s like, do you want to join the You’re Going to Die Tomorrow Group? I think I’ll pass. I’d rather join the Happy Ponies Crew.”

Over the years, Robotman has been blown to bits with only his brain remaining, and Elasti-Girl and Negative Man have been killed off completely. The fact all are active once again in the Doom Patrol in and of itself, proves what a convoluted back story this team has. But that won’t stop Giffen from telling a good story that any Doom Patrol newcomer can enjoy.

“There is the opportunity to tell almost any kind of story that you want to tell within the framework of the Doom Patrol book, as long as you realize that you are dealing with characters that have been published for years,” said Giffen. “This isn’t one of those things where I am going to go in and do ‘Doom Patrol’ my way and erase everything that’s ever happened. Everything that Doom Patrol has been through is part of their history. I just want to take that and push the group not so much a different direction but just not in the direction that they have been bumping up against for a long time now. And one of the things I think Geoff Johns does better than anybody else in the comic book business right now is he can take a character and find a way of making all of these events from the past work within the context of the story that Geoff wants to tell.

“So that’s definitely what we’re going to be doing with the Doom Patrol. We’re not going to just ignore what Grant did or what John Byrne did. They’ve got a history and that history will be acknowledged. But I am hoping if you pick up ‘Doom Patrol’ #1 and you’ve never heard of Doom Patrol before, you can get into the story.”

Asked if he considers Robotman, Negative Man and Elasti-Girl an alternative version of DC’s trinity, Giffen laughed and then laughed some more.

“They are nowhere near Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman and they have nowhere near the mythic impact of those characters. But when you have three characters in a room together, they are bound to play off each other. But come on, the Trinity? The Doom Patrol is a massively dysfunctional family.

“The true measure of devotion and love is not how you act when things are going good, but it’s how much you want to stay when things are going bad. And that’s the heart of Doom Patrol. What makes them stick around?

Keith Giffen's "Doom Patrol" will be different than the mid-80's version

“I’m a freak. You are a freak. OK, then why don’t you go live in a cave? If I thought I was a freak I wouldn’t put on a costume and go fight crime. There has got to be a rationale to that. It’s like the leap between superpowers and wearing spandex. I can’t cover it in my head.

“I’d probably do the Spider-Man thing and get my uncle killed. But he was wearing spandex. It’s trying to connect a couple of dots there from you think you are a freak and you are reclusive by nature. And because you are in Doom Patrol, you’re not necessarily going to all the superhero mixers. So why are you doing this at all?

“And the old saw, that the Chief makes them do it, isn’t cutting it for me. That was covered in an issue of ‘Teen Titans’ where Robin called out The Chief on his emotionally abusive behavior. And that’s not something I am going to ignore. It’s something I am going to pick up on. And explore.”

Giffen revealed the Four Horsemen of Apokolips will be featured in the book, but we’ll have to wait a while to see classic Doom Patrol villains like General Immortus, Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man and the Brotherhood of Evil.

“At least for the first year, I’m putting my promise out there that it will be 12 new characters in 12 issues – new villains, new threats,” said Giffen. “I want to build up the Doom Patrol’s rogues’ gallery.

“Down the road, who can tell, maybe we’ll see someone like Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man, but not for that first year. The first year, I think it’s time to populate the book and start contributing to the DC common pool. When did it stop being a good idea to create valid, villainous characters, who could then be used in other books?

“It’s a lot of fun to sit down and decide what kind of threat they will face next. And the Doom Patrol lends itself to odder villains. I don’t have to worry about the fact that Batman’s in Gotham and he’s rooted in quote, reality, unquote so you can’t really bring in an alien invasion. With Doom Patrol, anything goes. You can tell stories that have a wink-wink, nudge-nudge sense of humor. You can tell stories of outright horror, smaller personal stories. It has potential up the whazoo.”

Giffen has moved Doom Patrol’s base of operations to Oolong Island, giving the team an immediate supporting cast.

“You look at Doom Patrol and they are very interesting within the superhero world and the Chief is a super-scientific genius. Why would they live in the House of Secrets or whatever? So they operate out of Oolong Island, which means with Dr. Cale and the cadre of mad scientists, I have an immediate supporting cast.”

Dr. Veronica Cale was a member of the Science Squad, the team of scientists who worked on the Four Horsemen project on Oolong Island. But since the biogenetically-created entities destroyed Kahndaq – the sovereign nation ruled by Black Adam – in “52,” she has worked on putting an end to their reign of terror.

“It’s also establishing an M.O. for the Doom Patrol, where they are operating out of, how they operate, what threats they decide to take on, why do they take on those threats and what makes them different from every other superhero team out there.”

Giffen added that newcomers to Doom Patrol need not know anything about them heading into the new series and everything you need to know is told in the first issue.

“I am agonizing over the first issue to make sure it reads like a first issue. People that know Doom Patrol will recognize their characters and may learn one or two new things about them. But if you’ve never heard of them before in your entire life and have no idea what it’s about, then it’s a crapshoot.

“I hope I am telling a good story. You will understand all of the characters. It will read like a first issue. That doesn’t mean that I am ignoring all of the past. It just means that I’m not bringing the past in to muddy the issue.

“When you do the first issue of a comic book and somebody picks it up and says, ‘Oh boy! I’m getting in on the ground floor.’ And then there’s a footnote saying, see ‘Strange Adventures’ from 1963, you have pretty much defeated the purpose of doing the book. You’ve cut your own throat. You don’t have to go to Wikipedia and research Doom Patrol or go hunting around for past issues. Should you choose to when you find out the characters have a history, that is completely up to you. But you can start ‘Doom Patrol’ from #1 and run on, and I promise I will never throw out a footnote and expect you to do the work for me. It’s not going to happen.”

Giffen said putting “Doom Patrol” on the top of everybody’s comic book stack is a definite goal but realizes he is facing an up-hill battle.

So why not just ask Mr. DiDio for a plum assignment, something guaranteed to sell well?

“Could you possibly do an ‘X-Men’ book that’s not going to sell? It doesn’t matter. And where’s the fun in that.”

#11 Posted by Teen Manatee (359 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, I miss the Doom Patrol!! i hope their new series would be the orginal team plus bumblebee and vox. Just where they left off.

#12 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

Me too, hopefully Giffen will keep the series from getting cancelled...again

#13 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
aztek the lost said:
"people liked the Doom Patrol? 

#14 Posted by Graft (1812 posts) - - Show Bio

Dunno what Doom Patrol is

#15 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"aztek the lost said:

"
don't know about the older stuff, but Morrison' stories were awesome

Graft said:
"Dunno what Doom Patrol is"
Team ithat inspired the X-menf. Like Giffen pointed it out is like an amalgam between the fantastic four and the x-men
#16 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
Nighthunter said:
"Vance Astro said:
"aztek the lost said:

"
don't know about the older stuff, but Morrison' stories were awesome
Morrison is a great writer but even he can't make everything seem awesome.
#17 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

have you ever read the series?

#18 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio
18. I feel weird now. Moving on, let’s talk about something you can talk about officially – the upcoming Doom Patrol/Metal Men...

DD: Right – Keith Giffen is writing the Doom Patrol side, and he is co-writing Metal Men with J.M. DeMatteis. Matthew Clark is drawing Doom Patrol, and Kevin Maguire is drawing Metal Men. We want to make this as interesting and eclectic a combination of product as possible and Matthew’s grim and beautiful art style is an interesting pairing to Kevin’s lighter and clear style. Between the two, they have two completely different tonal approaches but I think it’s a wonderful pairing, and at he end of the day, it’s just a lot of fun and a great read.

Keith describes his Doom Patrol side as a horror comic, and Metal Men as character comedy – so there are two different approaches that are going on there, and they really blend very nicely under the same title. And just to cut to the next question, Keith will be starting with the Doom Patrol team as last seen in Teen Titans, and working from there.
#19 Posted by Teen Manatee (359 posts) - - Show Bio
Nighthunter said:
"18. I feel weird now. Moving on, let’s talk about something you can talk about officially – the upcoming Doom Patrol/Metal Men...

DD: Right – Keith Giffen is writing the Doom Patrol side, and he is co-writing Metal Men with J.M. DeMatteis. Matthew Clark is drawing Doom Patrol, and Kevin Maguire is drawing Metal Men. We want to make this as interesting and eclectic a combination of product as possible and Matthew’s grim and beautiful art style is an interesting pairing to Kevin’s lighter and clear style. Between the two, they have two completely different tonal approaches but I think it’s a wonderful pairing, and at he end of the day, it’s just a lot of fun and a great read.

Keith describes his Doom Patrol side as a horror comic, and Metal Men as character comedy – so there are two different approaches that are going on there, and they really blend very nicely under the same title. And just to cut to the next question, Keith will be starting with the Doom Patrol team as last seen in Teen Titans, and working from there."

That's awesome!
#20 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

The team may have been around since the 1960s, but when a new Doom Patrol series launches later this year, writer Keith Giffen is determined to make the comic a fresh, new take on the dysfunctional group of heroes.

As announced at New York Comic Con, Giffen will not only launch a new Doom Patrol ongoing series with artist Matthew Clark in late 2009, but the writer is reuniting with his Justice League International co-horts, J.M. DeMatteis and Kevin Maguire, to create 10-page back-up adventures of the Metal Men each month.

Doom Patrol made its first appearance in 1963 but has been rebooted and revised several times since, most notably in the '80s by writer Grant Morrison. But despite all the stops and restarts, Giffen said this time around, DC Comics is dedicated to creating something "solid" that "epitomizes what Doom Patrol is supposed to be."

Newsarama talked to Giffen about what that means, why he's so dedicated to making this feel new and different, and when the various members of the Doom Patrol might show up.

Newsarama: First, Keith, let's assume there are Keith Giffen fans reading this article who have never read about the Doom Patrol before. Break down what you see the Doom Patrol representing.

Keith Giffen: The Doom Patrol are heroes in spite of themselves. They're heroes who gained their powers through tragic circumstances. They do not look at themselves as superheroes. They view themselves as freaks and outcasts. They're the ultimate superhero dysfunctional family. They didn't make the leap from, OK, I've got these powers so I'm going to be a superhero. They were kind of forced into making that leap. One of the hardest things for me is always to make that jump from, OK, Tim you've got superpowers and you can fly, so now you're going to spend all your time fighting crime. I wouldn't be out there fighting crime if I could fly. I'd be making millions, making personal appearances around the country. I'd do the Spider-Man route, or I might stop the burglar, but then I'd soak in the limelight.

The Doom Patrol are characters who look upon their powers as a curse rather than a blessing. With Blue Beetle, once he got used to the armor, he started to enjoy being a superhero. The Doom Patrol would like nothing better than to go back to their lives and their anonymity. Most superheroes are patterned on the questing Knights of the Round Table going out to do right. The Doom Patrol were more patterned on Frankenstein trying to hide from the public but being thrust into the public eye unwillingly, although I doubt Robotman would throw a little girl into the lake.

NRAMA: Let's get specific here. What characters from the Doom Patrol cast are going to show up in this series?

KG: The Doom Patrol has a rich cast, but at first, I'm going to focus on the core characters: Robotman, Elasti-Girl/Woman and Negative Man. And of course the Chief. Other characters will come in as the stories warrant. But I'm determined to make the Doom Patrol a book that traffics in new concepts. I told Dan DiDio already that if you want an old Doom Patrol villain or another character to appear in the book, you'll have to tell me. Somebody will have to say, OK, Keith, bring in the Joker. Other than that, I'm just going to keep using new characters as much as I can. I'm not going to be the guy who just pages through the DC Encyclopedia and chooses a villain of the month. I want the character to have some kind of resonance with the Doom Patrol.

NRAMA: Wait, what do you mean by resonance?

KG: Well, there's a reason that Dr. Doom is a great villain for the Fantastic Four. It's because he and Reed have back history. I think the best supervillains work in context of the character's relationship to the hero. And the relationship should be kind of unique. That's why they're a member of that character's rogues gallery. I think that's why the Joker doesn't work well with the Flash. That's why Captain Cold doesn't work well in Green Lantern. There's this history that the characters have. And I'm going to be building that for the Doom Patrol, and it's not always going to be some old villain -- it might be a new character, but with a backstory we can tell that provides the resonance. I've already got the first 12 new characters worked out. I joke with Dan that one of the taglines of the book should be "12 new characters in 12 months or your money back." I'm not going to stop. I've already got them worked out. I've been doing that for awhile in every project that I do. I've sort of seeded the DC Universe.

NRAMA: You've certainly done it with Blue Beetle. That kid seems to show up everywhere from TV to Teen Titans now.

KG: Well, I would hope the Doom Patrol series lasts a little longer than Blue Beetle's book did, but I would be satisfied if we could give these characters that kind of legitimacy. Aside from sales and fan reaction, I think one of the ways you can measure how successful you've been is if other writers want to feature them in their book. So I'm hoping there will be Doom Patrol mania, but we'll see.

NRAMA: What about some of the later characters like Mento, Beast Boy, Bumblebee or Vox? Are we going to see those characters showing up at all during the series?

KG: You'll see them show up sooner or later. You'll see some show up much sooner. There are a few characters other than the big three that show up in the first issue.

NRAMA: Does that mean the comic may feature more than just those three members and Chief eventually?

KG: Yeah, but I didn't want to start with a team that had, like, eight members right off the bat. I wanted to introduce the readers to the concept slowly. I'd like to think the people who are very familiar with Doom Patrol will see that we're honoring the basic concept of the Doom Patrol and what has gone before, but also showing that there are things you didn't know about these characters. There will be even more for you to learn about them. And for new readers, we're creating even more interesting characters so they'll want to come along for the ride.

NRAMA: We talked about the team of misfits, so to speak, but what's your take on their leader?

KG: The Chief calls the shots. He's not like Professor X who genuinely cares about his students and is trying to do something good for mutantkind. The Chief has his own agenda. He's one of these guys who believes in that saying that if you believe in your heart of hearts that what is good for you is good for the rest of the world, that is the true sign of genius. The Chief's not a nice guy. He's a manipulative, self-serving, borderline-sociopath megalomaniac. The fact that what he's doing happens to benefit mankind has nothing to do with any decision on his part to benefit mankind.

NRAMA: Let's back up and talk about why you're doing Doom Patrol, Keith. You wanted to do this comic pretty badly, didn't you?

KG: It's almost exactly like the Justice League story. It's no secret that I was pestering DC to give me Justice League. I think it was six years I was pestering them before they gave us the chance on that comic. And Doom Patrol was the same thing. I've wanted the book for years and I always thought I could do something with it. For about two or three years, I've been pestering Dan or anybody who would listen to me, 'I want Doom Patrol. Give me Doom Patrol.' And finally they got sick of hearing me.

DiDio said OK, let's see what you can do with it.

NRAMA: Why do you think it took awhile this time for Doom Patrol to come back with its own series?

KG: I think it had to get a little rest. They've been trying to do something with Doom Patrol for awhile. Doom Patrol keeps showing up. And I really think that if you keep shoving a product forward too many times -- OK, we'll do this version of Doom Patrol; that didn't work. OK, we'll do this version of Doom Patrol. That one worked, but now Grant's leaving so we'll do something else -- if you keep doing it back to back to back, you beat the book up too much. Eventually, the project has this stench of failure about it. And you don't want that to happen. So I think spacing a little bit of time between trying the project again, but keeping the characters in the public eye with guest shots in things like Teen Titans or other books like when I used them in the Four Horseman book, I think it's a good idea. You don't want to just keep beating these characters up too badly. Give them a little rest and let everyone take a good, long look at it.

NRAMA: What can you tell us about what you're bring to the Doom Patrol that makes it worth bringing back this time around?

KG: I can't say too much. I don't want to spoil it. But I went back and looked at the entire history of the Doom Patrol and cherry picked the things I wanted to emphasize this time around. I'm determined to keep as much of the Doom Patrol's past intact as possible, but the book is not about their past. It's about their future. So past adventures might be referred to, but never in a way that you feel that you've got to go back and buy a back issue. I want the book to be widely accessible.

An early 'Doom Patrol sketch from Matthew Clark

I think one of the mistakes comic books make is they put out a first issue of a book, and somewhere in the book, you get this footnote referencing a comic that's five or 10 years old, and it doesn't feel new. It doesn't feel like a book, then, that you can read that book and get everything you need out of it. So if we're going to go back and have Robotman say, "Remember when General Immortus blew up the island?" My job is to make sure that's explained.

It's almost a Watchmen approach, where you have events that never happened in the comic, but you go and flesh them out so you understand what's going on. None of this, "Oh no! It's Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man again!" without first introducing Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man almost as if no one had ever encountered the character before. And I want to make the comic so that it's just as accessible to someone picking it up on Issue #20 as someone picking it up with Issue #1, never assuming prior knowledge at any point in time.

I am determined that when you pick up Doom Patrol, by the time you're done with that issue, you know who the characters are, you know their shtick, you know their personalities and powers, what the book is about, and if you choose not to, you don't have to go back and buy the back issues. Every issue is potentially a springboard issue for a new reader. I'm going back to that idea that every issue of a comic is someone's first.

NRAMA: But this isn't a reset or anything, right? You're not making the Doom Patrol characters themselves new. They have all their history in place when you begin, but you're just kind of reintroducing them?

KG: They have all their history in place. We're just introducing them to a new situation. We introduce them setting up what they do, and then we establish their base of operations. They operate on Oolong Island now, so Dr. Cale and all the mad scientists are there. In the first issue, you're going to meet the characters, you're going to see what they're capable of doing, you're going to get the basic tone of the book, meet a brand new villain, follow them home and see what's going on, and hopefully follow them to the next adventure.

NRAMA: And this is going to have Metal Men back-up stories?

KG: Yeah, the Metal Men are going to there. For some reason, DC decided to corral the "Bwa-ha-ha" bunch again, so it's me, Marc [J.M. DeMatteis] and Kevin [Maguire] back in the saddle, thrashing around and making no sense at all.

NRAMA: Will that cross over at all with the Doom Patrol?

KG: Not if I can help it. I mean, I'm sure eventually it could, but again, either my editor or Dan will have to say, hey, it's time for these to crossover. But the Metal Men falls under the exact same restrictions I placed on myself for Doom Patrol: New, new, new, new, new, new, new.

In other words, don't expect the Cobalt Man to be wandering through anytime soon. If I need an evil robot, let's come up with a new one! What's wrong with that? If you read a solicitation and it says, in this issue the Flash fights Two-Face? Well, we've seen Two-Face, we know the shtick, and we're going to have a basic idea of what the story's going to be about. But if it's the Flash vs. a brand new villain you've never seen before? You have no idea what to expect. And I think that's critical in comics right now. The old communal well has been plundered to the point of depletion. Time to start restock it.

NRAMA: Even for Metal Men?

KG: Everything I touch from now on. Every new character might not be a winner. But remember that for every Doctor Doom, they also came up with Molecule Man or whatever. So not every character is going to be a winner, but I'll certainly be trying.

And by the way, I just got some artwork from Matt Clark. I knew the guy was good, but he really must be into Doom Patrol because this stuff is beyond anything I've ever seen him do before because it's just stunning.

He wanted to do Doom Patrol and it shows. It really, really, really shows. When I saw those pages, again, I was familiar with Matt's work, but I've never seen him put this much into it. The artwork's worth the price of admission. Just buy it and if nothing else, look at the pictures.

NRAMA: Is it a little daunting to take on this team after begging for it for so long?

KG: Well, I was kind of forewarned that this time DC really, really wants it to work. They want something solid. They want something that epitomizes what Doom Patrol is supposed to be. And I threw a little something together that I think works. I really feel good about what we're doing here.

And it turned out that Matt Clark, who was going to be the artist on Reign in Hell but couldn't be for personal reasons -- and believe me, if I had those personal reasons, I wouldn't be doing it either -- it turns out that he is a huge, huge Doom Patrol fan as well and has been after the book as long as I have. So it was kind of serendipity. You've got a writer on the book who's dedicated to the book and loves the concept, and you've got an artist on the book who said openly, 'I could draw Doom Patrol for the rest of my life,' and an editor who understands Doom Patrol and wants the book to succeed, and a publisher that Doom Patrol and Metal Men are two of his favorite teams.

So yeah, it's a little daunting realizing that there are so many expectations on the part of the team going into the book. But I've never backed away from a challenge.
#21 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

Moving on to Doom Patrol Gehrlein said that the first pages of artists Matthew Clark’s are coming in and just look fantastic. Adding to that, Gehrlein said that writer Keith Giffen is working overtime to make the book accessible to both Doom Patrol fans and readers who have no idea who the Doom Patrol is. “This isn’t your daddy’s Doom Patrol,” she reiterated. The series starts in August.

Which version of the Doom Patrol is starring in the Giffen/Clark series? “There are acknowledgements of the previous versions,” Gehrlein said. “We’re not saying that never happened, but the goal is to make it immediately accessible.” And the Chief will be in it, she added.

#22 Posted by anthol (178 posts) - - Show Bio

Any news on the status of current doom patrol?

#23 Posted by AssertingValor (5386 posts) - - Show Bio

Doom Patrol is a great team, more respect needed.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.