Sweden's bizarre Xmas tradition of watching Donald Duck cartoons

#1 Posted by TerryMcC (307 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweden's bizarre tradition of watching Donald Duck cartoons on Christmas Eve. 

http://www.slate.com/id/2239252 

No doubt about it, the Duck & Mouse do better in Europe than here. 

And they do petty well here.

#2 Posted by fesak (6982 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome :)

#3 Posted by Knox (468 posts) - - Show Bio

Donald Duck is way popular in Europe. Donald Duck has his own Comic book with a new issue every week. Donald is way more popular than Marvel or DC comics in my country

#4 Edited by Croaker (296 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not just Sweden. Here (Finland) From All of Us to All of You is shown every Christmas with updated bits of upcoming Disney movies and recurring stories (like Donald doing gift wrapping in a factory). Also, he has his ongoing magazine which began in 1952. It is still hugely popular and it's considered kind of a tradition to subscribe to the magazine. Once one kid grows up, the subscription is transferred to the next one etc.

It is also kind of ironic that an American product would help ignite a colourful language: the translation of Donald Duck (Aku Ankka) is of high quality and the magazine has been often referred to as an outstanding example for kids to learn from.

#5 Posted by ~The Wanderer~ (34406 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not much for this tradition but I do love the Donald Duck universe.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.