inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

Warning: Spoilers ahead, since we are recapping all the moon blowing up madness.

In the future of 2049, Clara is on the Moon and she says they have 45 minutes to decide something. Clara confront the Doctor about Courtney Woods. He told her she's not special and it's sent her "off the rails." The Doctor, Clara, and Courtney head to the future, on the moon. They're on a space shuttle that has a ton of nuclear bombs on it.

The Doctor asks the crew of the ship what's wrong with the moon. They don't know. They plan to blow up the moon. The gravity is off and causing havoc on Earth. It's the greatest natural disaster in history.

They all step off the ship and find an old Mexican mining station. It has cobwebs all over it. It's been like this for ten years. No one from earth had gone into space. They discover one of the miners caught in the web. They're dead. The Doctor fins survey info of the moon and there's stress cracks all over it.

Meanwhile, one of the crew is outside and finds one of the spiders. Pretty sure he's dead.

Inside the base, they all hear a monstrous scream. The screams continue. Something is in the base with them. It's a space spider. The Doctor tells everyone that it senses movement so everyone has to move slowly. Courtney sneezes and the spider kills one of the crew. Everyone but Courtney escapes the room. A spider was about to kill her, but Courtney sprays it with Mr. Clean. The spider is dead.

The doctor and Clara take Courtney back to the TARDIS. The doctor tells Clara he needs to stay to see what's going on because there are some moments in time that he can't see. He says it's up to them. The last crew member says they're the last astronauts and she needs their help.

Clara, the Doctor, and the crew member walk around the moon and see more dead bodies. The spiders are reproducing and evolving. The Doctor jumps into a crater and leaves Clara and the woman behind.

Courtney is bored and wants to know when everyone is coming back. She posts moon pictures on Tumblr to pass the time. The landscape of the moon is changing. The Doctor rejoins them. He gets mad that Courtney posted pictures of him online. The doctor discovers that something is growing in the Moon and the spiders are bacteria. The moon is hatching. The astronaut lady wants to kill it.

Clara wants to know what to do. The Doctor says he's not going to do anything. He can't make this decision for the whole planet. Clara wants his help and advice, but he is not helping. The Doctor leaves in the TARDIS.

The bacteria-spiders are claiming onto the surface. Clara asks the astronaut what happens when the moon isn't there. The woman claims that the thing in the moon is parasite and she says they have to kill it to save the people on Earth. The astronaut presses the "kill everything countdown timer." Ground control calls up and says things are bad.

Clara uses the satellites to broadcast her asking Earth and says leave your lights on to let the creature live and to turn your lights off if you want to kill it. All the lights on Earth go off. Before the bomb goes off, the Doctor shows up and tells everyone to get in the TARDIS. They all head to Earth and get to watch the creature hatch.

The creature lays a new egg and replaces the moon. The Doctor tells them all that this is the moment of time where he people of earth begin looking at the stars again and start flying throughout the universe. The astronaut thanks Clara for stopping her from blowing up the moon.

Courtney is taken home. Clara asks the Doctor whether he knew about all of this. Clara shouts at the Doctor. Clara leaves the TARDIS in a huff. She bumps into Danny. Clara explains the whole story to Danny. Clara eventually heads home after venting and she stares out at the moon.

No Caption Provided

Doctor Who is usually pretty good when it comes to all things science. However, that creature sure made a lot noise... in space. In fact, the Spiders did the same, when they were on the surface. You need air or atmosphere for sound. Therefore, we shouldn't be hearing the creature, who is in space, especially not from Earth. This was my biggest problem with the episode.

The dialogue between Clara and Danny at the end of the episode is pointless. Danny offers piece of mind to Clara about why the Doctor does what he does; however, it's not very believable and the scene falls extremely flat. It could have been easily cut out and it wouldn't have affected the story at all.

Aside from those minor problems, the episode is pretty awesome. The spider-creatures are very cool looking and add a nice horror element to the episode. I love the overall idea of the moon being an egg as well. It's a cool take on creatures that live in space.

Courtney Woods is actually a nice addition to the crew. She's young and travelling is all very new to her, so it's fun watching her experience all these moments, which Clara and The Doctor have both experience numerous times.

"Kill the Moon" really surprised me. From the trailers, I wasn't too excited, but what we got was a fun episode that does add a little to the mythos of Earth and the Doctor. I loved the idea of the Doctor forcing others to make these large-scale decisions, which alter the course of industry. "Kill the Moon" the perfect mixture of science fiction and a mystery with a tiny bit of horror. It feels like this series has finally found its footing again.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By TheDandyMan

I guess it was alright, average at best. To be honest I don't know why everyone was making such a big deal about killing the creature, if I thought it was going to destroy the Earth then I would've used the nukes without much thought (that doesn't sound cruel does it?).

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

First the Watcher then they came back for the moon... you god damn murders.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By lagozzino

Honestly, this was probably one of the worst episodes of Doctor Who I've ever seen. Definitely one of the dumbest. There was not a single bit of the plot that made any sense. Pretty much every character seemed to be acting out of character. And that little girl! Oh my god why was she here? She had so little effect on the plot that for a while I actually thought they just brought her along as a redshirt. And her acting.... just.... yeeeesh!

I keep seeing good reviews for this episode. Perfect reviews, even. I keep seeing quotes calling this a return to form and the best the show has been in years and I'm just over here like "Did the wrong episode get broadcast to my TV?"

IAmNotGroot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Capaldi's Doctor was the best in this episode.I haven't really liked this season so far, and though this episode isn't one of the best of the series, its one of the best of the season. Unfortunately, I hope this is Capaldi's only season. Next week looks interesting so I hope its good.

StarWatcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By StarWatcher

*SPOILERS THROUGHOUT MY POST*

Was a decent ep overall, I liked the thinking behind it and the difficult choices the characters had to make. Was happy to see Courtney back too! I think it's an episode that has to be re-watched because there's actually a lot to grab from the plot that can be easy to miss.

I felt the "spiders" were totally useless though and the giant moon space dragon creature thingy was a bit too skimmed over. I know it's probably a budget issue but I would have liked more budget on the creature hatching scene and less on the useless "spiders".

The whole "moon is actually an egg" thing I also figured out waaaay before they announced it, which was a bit disapointing.

Reminded me of Alien, and Saga to some extent, the whole planetoid hatching into a huge creature plot. I would only give it 3/5 stars.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Is is just me or did anyone else feel like this should have been a two-parter episode? Just felt like things happened way to fast, not giving viewers enough time to fully absorb everything that was happening.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedandyman: Nope, I felt the same way. lol But they have to put some giant morale dilemma to a simple situation. With that cop out ending where a baby/new born creature lays an egg.

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

jeez not even mentioning that the whole episode was a love letter to Alien

StarWatcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jeez not even mentioning that the whole episode was a love letter to Alien

I wouldn't say a love letter but the similarities were pretty entertaining!

TheDalek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great plot lovely episode, glad that Clara has left The Doctor as his companion, though I'm not sure how long that is going to last. I hate this Courtney kid... I wish she had never been introduced and imo she should be retconned and so should Clara and Pink.

Who carries a cleaning product to the moon? What is she giving the the toilets on the ship a good old clean?

@thedandyman: @thedandyman: Genocide, *tuts*

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By TheDandyMan
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The moral dilemma in this ep was just so dumb.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By timelord

This was done by a new writer and it showed his first episode of Doctor Who. Even the moon not being there for a second would have series consequences for Earth. Another thing why where they using 50 old space shuttle if the Mexicans had a more modern space craft they might not be using them after 10 years but I'd imagine there still around.

I really enjoyed Clara standing up to the Doctor with some of the stuff he pulls she is getting some development which is nice. Peter Capaldi is still the highlight of the show for me I hope he keeps it up.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedalek said:

Glad that Clara has left The Doctor as his companion, though I'm not sure how long that is going to last.

If she's not at least appearing in a sub plot by the next episode, then for sure she'll be back by the episode after that. As much as I'd like for them to just end her story at this fairly logical ending point, there's no way they'll let Clara's relationship with the Doctor end on that much of a bad note.

TheDalek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lagozzino: Yes that is true, but I don't want The Doctor returning to that school for all of them (Clara, Pink, and Courtney). I don't even like how they re-introduce Coal Hill to the series

gjohnston786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gjohnston786

@inferiorego was I reading too much into the episode thinking there were strong undertones of the debate on abortion?

rigormortis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seemingly a painfully obvious metaphor about abortion. The twist: it was actually a metaphor about a really bad boyfriend the whole time. A silly political message that gave way to excellent character parallels.

DoctorXander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

The episode was going fine until Clara threw that tantrum at the end

Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
    thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If that annoying kid is going to come back on the show, i'm done.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#21 inferiorego  Staff

@inferiorego was I reading too much into the episode thinking there were strong undertones of the debate on abortion?

way too much

TheDalek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctorxander: Yea, that was moronic to say the least. I mean Doctor had every right to say '' It is not in my place to judge humanity's fate '' . He once did that with his own people and still suffering from that.

He did the sensible thing and let the actual humans decide. And Clara goes '' Why do you make me do the decisions ! '' as if she NEVER done something like that ( including jumping into Doctor's timestream ! ) ... I don't know if they are trying to make her seem this annoying for things to come but it was a really poor showing for her.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctorxander: @wowlock: Its made worse when you remember that the end of the episode before this had Clara going on about how she trusts the Doctor's judgement completely and is willing to jump into any situation he puts her in because she knows he has it all figured out.

They just never gave Clara much of a personality besides "She's nice". Jenna Coleman tries her best with what she's been given, but really Clara is just this blank slate that behaves however the episode needs her to behave.

tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like I'm the only one who actually likes Capaldi as The Doctor.

I did like this episode although, as someone had pointed out in previous comments, this definetly should've been a two-part one.

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the episode overall. But I did feel it was a cop out to have the alien lay another egg moon just seconds after being born. Though it does explain why it's the only one of its kind if it can't hatch for thousands of years.

I have to disagree about the danny and clara scene being pointless. It helped Clara to calm down and if they had just skipped to the next scene of her looking at the moon I would actually believe she was done with the doctor. But danny's speech about how she only says shes done cause she's mad makes it easier to accept she'll come back.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the doctor said Courtney woods would grow up to be president right?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.