Follow

Doctor Strange

Character » Doctor Strange appears in 4912 issues.

Dr. Stephen Strange was once a gifted but egotistical surgeon who sought out the Ancient One to heal his hands after they were wounded in a car accident. Instead, the Ancient One trained him to become Master of the Mystic Arts and the Sorcerer Supreme of Earth.

Who will be the new sorcerer supreme? Bendis hints some things

• 100 results
    Chaos Agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Chaos Agent
    "New Avengers" #51 on sale in March

For years, one man stood vigilant and safeguarded the Marvel Universe from malevolent magical forces. His name is Doctor Strange, and he was Earth’s Sorcerer Supreme, but a series of unfortunate events and lapses in judgment caused him to lose the title. Fans are of course wondering who will be crowned the new Sorcerer Supreme of the Earth dimension and what Stephen Strange will have to say about it, and they'll get their answer in a new storyline that kicks off in “New Avengers” #51, written by Brian Michael Bendis and illustrated Billy Tan and Chris Bachalo.

When Doctor Strange lost the title of Sorcerer Supreme in last year's “New Avengers Annual,” Bendis thought he had finished chronicling the adventures of Stephen Strange and was ready to hand the story off to someone else. Some writers attempted to continue Strange’s odyssey, but nothing stuck to the wall.

“I was scared and a little bummed that this storyline about who Stephen Strange is now, what he’s doing now that he’s not the Sorcerer Supreme, and who the new Sorcerer Supreme is since there has to be one, would disappear or lose some of the oomph it had,” Bendis told CBR. “So I said, ‘If no one is going to do anything about this, then when I’m done with ‘Secret Invasion’ I’ll take it back. I waited until the last minute and no one got anything going, so I gleefully grabbed it back because I was really dying to do this story. I was just trying to not horde all the toys. I didn’t want to be the guy who says, ‘Don’t touch Doctor Strange till I get back.' I don’t like to do that. I also thought this would be a great arc for the character.”

To tide you over until March’s “New Avengers” #51, CBR gathered up a list of likely candidates and spoke with Bendis and his editor Tom Brevoort about whether these characters have what it takes to be the next Sorcerer Supreme. Place your bets!

CLEA

Throughout his career, Doctor Strange has ventured to the otherworldly Dark Dimension, usually to foil the schemes of two of his greatest foes, The Dread Dormammu and Umar. The Dark Dimension is also home to one of Strange’s greatest allies, the powerful sorceress known as Clea.

Bendis: Clea is the mistress of the Dark Dimension and she’s Strange’s ex-girlfriend/wife. She was trained by Strange, right there in his home. She was his prized pupil. She was to Strange what he was to the Ancient One [Strange’s instructor in the mystic arts]. But as Mistress of the Dark Dimension she hasn’t been on this plane of existence a lot lately. And who’s going to take her serious in those pants?

IAN MCKNEE

One of the reasons McKnee trained to become a wizard was that he wanted to claim the title of Sorcerer Supreme. At a young age, he challenged Doctor Strange for the title and lost, but that didn't discourage his further exploration of the mystic arts. In the recent “Mystic Arcana” miniseries, McKnee undertook a quest that saw him successfully protect the very nature of magic itself from the corrupting force of the Elder God Chthon.

Brevoort: Ian’s a dark horse candidate, to be sure. But he’s a young and vibrant character, and that would be kind of a cool change from the sort of Sorcerer Supreme we’ve seen for the past six-hundred years. What he’s got going against him is that virtually nobody knows who he is.

BARON MORDO

Stephen Strange was not the Ancient One’s only pupil. When Strange first encountered him, the Ancient One had another student, Karl Amadeus Mordo, who was exiled after Strange exposed his plot to kill the Ancient One. Mordo would go on to become one of Strange’s arch-enemies, and his skills in sorcery and black magic made him one of the good Doctor’s deadliest foes.

Bendis: Mordo is another fantastic candidate for Sorcerer Supreme because of his level of training, powers, and abilities. The negative thing about him would be his character! He’s not the nicest guy. He’s not a very pleasant, caring, or giving person. And he’s not as meditative as Stephen Strange was.

JENNIFER KALE

While most girls her age were out having fun, Jennifer had her mind on saving the world. She learned the mystic arts as a pupil of Dakimh the Enchanter, who had been a practicing sorcerer since before Atlantis sank beneath the waves. As Dakimh's student and a companion of the Man-Thing, Jennifer foiled several demonic plots to take over Earth. She was seen most recently in “Marvel Zombies 3” as a member of Florida's superteam, The Command.

Brevoort: She’d have to live down the metal bikini she sported for most of the ‘70s and ‘80s, but Jennifer’s got the background and the pedigree, she’d bring a different perspective to the role. And she’s a friend of the Man-Thing, so she’s got that going for her.

DOCTOR DOOM

While Doctor Doom is known for his scientific acumen, he also possesses some mystical ability as well. Several years ago, Doom enlisted the aid of demons to attack the Fantastic Four, and he also accompanied Doctor Strange on a mission to the infernal realm of the demon Mephisto, where they rescued the trapped soul of Doom’s mother.

Bendis: Doom is another great one. He’s clearly learned in the Mystic Arts and as we’ve shown in ‘Mighty Avengers,’ he’s been traveling the timestream, picking up ancient secrets that even Doctor Strange may not know. Things that have disappeared during other time periods and civilizations. Bendis.

As for what’s counting against him -- well, he is Doctor Doom.

BROTHER VOODOO

Like Stephen Strange, Jericho Drumm – a.k.a. Brother Voodoo -- has a medical degree. After spending years as a practicing psychiatrist in the U.S., Drumm returned to his native Haiti, where he discovered his that twin brother Daniel was dying. Daniel was a Voodoo priest known as a Houngan who had been struck down by an evil sorcerer. His dying wish was that Jericho learn Voodoo from his mentor and take up his fight against evil and darkness. Jericho agreed and came to possess a greater knowledge of the Voodoo arts then even his brother. Upon finishing his training, a mystic rite was performed that summoned Daniel's spirit and joined it with Jericho's. Thus Brother Voodoo, a man who would go onto become Haiti's Houngan Supreme, was born.

Brevoort: Brother Voodoo has been something of a joke character for a long time now, but when you get past the goofy rep this guy’s had built up around him for so long, you find that he’s got some actual skills and an interesting background. And he comes from a cultural tradition of legitimate magic, which would be an interesting background to draw upon. What he’s got in the negative column is the fact that he’s been a joke character for so long that it might be a very tough sell.

ILLYANA RASPUTIN

As a young girl, Illyana was abducted by Belasco, the demonic lord of an infernal realm known as Limbo. While there, she was instructed in the arts of black magic by Belasco himself, but she was also taught the use of white magic by an alternate reality version of Storm of the X-Men. Consequently, Illyana's sorcery skills were always more powerful while in Limbo, but it's quite possible her recent resurrection by Belasco had an effect on her aptitude with the mystic arts.

Bendis: Illyana is also a really good candidate. She's a big part of the current “X-Infernus” miniseries and there's a lot going on with her this year. I also think at this point she's a pretty iconic mystical character in the Marvel Universe. Hurting her chances is probably the fact that “Illyana Rasputin: Master of the Mystic Arts” would make for the worst logo in comic book history.

SCARLET WITCH

Wanda Maximoff was one of the most powerful mutants on Earth. In “House of M,” her reality warping ability allowed her to create an entirely new reality and eliminate the abilities of most of Earth's mutant population. Wanda’s lived a very quiet life since that day, and it's unclear whether she even still possesses her mutant ability. But in “Mighty Avengers” #21, Wanda seemed to make a return to life as a costumed hero. She also appeared to be skilled in a number of mystical abilities, like astral projection and teleportation. Has the Scarlet Witch replaced her mutant abilities with mystical powers?

Brevoort: Wanda would seem to be the odds-on favorite to assume the mantle, given how large she's loomed since “Avengers Disassembled.” Going against her, of course, is the fact that her powers drove her crazy, which is hardly a qualification for becoming Sorcerer Supreme.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=20145
    Spinner Ocho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Spinner Ocho

Clea.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By pixelized

Sounds like Illy is out. Didn't know Jenny Kale was a candidate though.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By danhimself

i still think it's going to be the hood

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Whoever it is..it's not going to matter.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Darkchild

Seeing Mordo, or Voodoo back into the mainstream wouldnt be bad

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pixelized

What happens to the new SS, do they get their own book or something?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    pixelized said:
    "What happens to the new SS, do they get their own book or something?
     I don't see why they would..Strange didn't have one.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pixelized

just don't see why we would get a new SS and them not get more Screen time after being crowned the SS

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    pixelized said:
    "just don't see why we would get a new SS and them not get more Screen time after being crowned the SS
    Because nobody cares.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pixelized

or, it's someone who's already appearing regularly in something!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    pixelized said:
    "or, it's someone who's already appearing regularly in something!
    I don't see how it would be anyone but Clea....
    XRiskyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By XRiskyX
    Chaos Agent said:
    "

BROTHER VOODOO

Like Stephen Strange, Jericho Drumm – a.k.a. Brother Voodoo -- has a medical degree. After spending years as a practicing psychiatrist in the U.S., Drumm returned to his native Haiti, where he discovered his that twin brother Daniel was dying. Daniel was a Voodoo priest known as a Houngan who had been struck down by an evil sorcerer. His dying wish was that Jericho learn Voodoo from his mentor and take up his fight against evil and darkness. Jericho agreed and came to possess a greater knowledge of the Voodoo arts then even his brother. Upon finishing his training, a mystic rite was performed that summoned Daniel's spirit and joined it with Jericho's. Thus Brother Voodoo, a man who would go onto become Haiti's Houngan Supreme, was born.

Brevoort: Brother Voodoo has been something of a joke character for a long time now, but when you get past the goofy rep this guy’s had built up around him for so long, you find that he’s got some actual skills and an interesting background. And he comes from a cultural tradition of legitimate magic, which would be an interesting background to draw upon. What he’s got in the negative column is the fact that he’s been a joke character for so long that it might be a very tough sell.

"
    Jericho Drumm is my first choice.And before I start demontaging all the other candidates I will start to justify my choice by a very good example:

In the "What  If" storyline where they asked what would have happened if Legion had killed Xavier AND Magneto Brother Voodoo was actually the sorcerer supreme although we could clearly see that the Scarlet witch was still alive. That alone (the real "fact" that he was in an universe where the characters were not much changed but where a time difference was the deciding point) should be sufficient to qualify him as the new Sorcerer Supreme. Now to the others...

Clea: She is the inhabitant of another dimension and already decided to live in that dimension. She could never let her responsibility for the Dark Dimension down with Dormammu still threatening it and all. And as the Sorcerer Supreme of Earth you have to BE ON EARTH MOST OF THE TIME and not just on visit. (And isn't she Sorcerer Supreme of the Dark Dimension already?)

Ian McKnee: I don't know that guy really well but he seems to be too young and reckless, too iresponsible. He might be the NEXT but not the NEW SS. Let him get some practice (and most of all followers, rep and popularity) then he could do it in the next twenty years.

Baron Mordo: He is a bad guy, they will never give that title to a bad guy. When they do it then only for the reason that a good guy can take that title away (like Strange did back then). he failed once, he will fail again.

Jennifer Kale: Well, the best candidate beside the good brother but something in me just says wrong. She is too likely.  Great teacher, good friend with the Swamp Thing, control over her powers, total lack of conflict potential. That would be too easy and cost the writers a lot of beginning story arcs.

Dr. Doom: Bad guy. Nuff saifd.

Illyana Rasputin: Bad girl. Too unstable. Rather likely that she will assume the SS mantle of Limbo once she vanquished Belasco.

Scarlet Witch: Her power are not really magic in nature. She is a powerful mutnat and I don't think her recent resurrection changed anything in that. Sure, she could do some minor tricks like Astral projection and stuff because of her training with Agatha Harkness but that is still not enough to be SS. A SS should do some real sorcery and not just use her (unreliable) mutant powers. And she already demonstrated that she is too unstable (that means lacks the willpower) to endure that task. Anyone remembers her snapping during House of M? Imagine how that would have looked if she had the Eye of Agamotto... No, no walking timebomb as the SS who is supposed to DEFEND the earth realm.
    Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Darkchild

I agree, Brother is a good choice. His power has been mocked for years and its bout damn time he is shown at his fullest. (ps that What If was awesome). Even in Gambit he was some fool with Voodoo powers when he is an actual character with his own characteristics and superbly powerful

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Brother Voodoo is the worst sorcerer in the running.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pixelized
    Risky said:
    Illyana Rasputin: Bad girl. Too unstable. Rather likely that she will assume the SS mantle of Limbo once she vanquished Belasco.
    Illy's not bad nor is she unstable, she's had a rough life.. and just recently sacrificed herself in order to save pixie. I think it would make since for her to become the SS seeing as how she comes with her own dimension.
    XRiskyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By XRiskyX
    Vance Astro said:
    "Brother Voodoo is the worst sorcerer in the running."
    Any reasons to this statement? Examples like my mentioning of that "What if" issue?
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By geraldthesloth
    Vance Astro said:
    "Brother Voodoo is the worst sorcerer in the running."
    seconded than magik

but its not like any of this is gonna matter strange will have the title back in a few months

though i would like wiccan to be it
    XRiskyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By XRiskyX
    pixelized said:
    "Risky said:
    Illy's not bad nor is she unstable, she's had a rough life.. and just recently sacrificed herself in order to save pixie. I think it would make since for her to become the SS seeing as how she comes with her own dimension.
    "
    Okay, maybe I was abit fast in judging her from her past but she's still very much absorbed by her ownn dimension. Once you are too busy with your own realm it's a bit hard to be SS (earth) and fulfill your duty. Therefore I say it's unlikely.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pixelized

That's true, but there's also Amanda Sefton, Amanda's Mom and Witchfire who would gladly take over Limbo while she was away.

XRiskyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By XRiskyX
    pixelized said:
    "That's true, but there's also Amanda Sefton, Amanda's Mom and Witchfire who would gladly take over Limbo while she was away.
    "
    If she lets them do it. By the example of Clea we can see how that can turn out.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pixelized

what happened with Clea?

XRiskyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By XRiskyX
    pixelized said:
    "what happened with Clea?
    "
    She was supposed to be the savior of her dimension but was given away at a quite young age and her uncle/cousin (not sure) Dormammu took over that dimension. Once you let the guy/girl who is supposed to watch over that dimension go everything goes ti hell (in that case quite litereally)
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pixelized

Gotcha.

Cobalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Cobalt

Ian is a good choice. Strange didn't even really defeat him. He tricked him to stop the fight. I would love to see him step up and inherit the mantle. He's not really as brash as people make him out to seem. He's just a really straight forward guy. He thinks in order to be the best you have to beat the best, and I see him as the type to try to beat anybody who tries to take the mantle. 

Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By Nahero

i say either clea or scarlet witch

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WARLOCK2792

WANDA!!!

Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By Strafe Prower

this will be interesting to say the least....

Dahlia Capello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dahlia Capello

His reason for disqualifying Illyana is a potential logo? Meeeh.

Jennifer, Illy or Wanda have my vote.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WARLOCK2792

I WANT SCARLET WITCH!!  Seriously, she should win.

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DEADPOOL

I see Ghost Rider in that picture, but there's no explanation?

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By pixelized

there isn't an explanation for half of that cover... surely more will follow sooner or later.

Meanstreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Meanstreak

What the hell is Wong doing now? lol

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By Erik
    aztek the lost said:
    "Doctor Doom was said to be second in line

It pisses me off when they throw stuff like that, though I admit Dr. Doom is personified by always being "second best" you can't just suddenly have someone else step in as being better than him
    "
    Doom would be awesome as the next Sorcerer Supreme but if say Wanda took the title for example, it would not be a stretch to explain it away as he is maybe better but her powers put her ahead of him. Or something similar to that. But I agree that Doom should get it because it was already said that he was second best.
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36  Edited By Zoom

Should be Mordo.

Everybody else on the list is either far below him or mentally unstable.  Doom is only slightly both of those things but he's got his own role in the universe to play, and it isn't as the Sorcerer Supreme.  The only one other than Mordo and Doom that should even be considered imo is Amanda Selfton.

Kinda surprised Modred wasn't mentioned, though he's also mentally unstable.

Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Precise

They should just keep Strange and write him more consistently.

Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Andferne

If they are going to change my vote goes to Doom, if not him then I want it to be Wanda.

Oh! or how about Amora?

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By pixelized

or Loki!

Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Andferne
    pixelized said:
    "or Loki!"
    Hey how are we going to get Amora more spotlight if you keep bringing up that guy..girl..you know what I mean. :P
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By pixelized

i wonder if Amora could beat Stephen.

Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Andferne

I'd like for her to at least be in the running. But it seems like everyone in Marvel leaves her alone. Even in the Thor 600 she was no where mentioned but was on the double cover. lol

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By pixelized

she was on the cover? i remember looking it up on cv and not seeing her, that was depressing ]= I'd like for her to be the new SS but i think wolverine has a better chance than her. Wiccan would get it before she does.

Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Andferne

The cover expands front and back, she and a few others were on the back.

I never really liked Wiccan and LOL @ Wolverine.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By pixelized

how can you not like Wiccan?!?! I think he's great!

Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Andferne

I guess for me it also has more to do with the entire Young Avengers group. I never really got into them and just found it blah. Though it has been a while since I have touched anything with them in it.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    pixelized said:
    "how can you not like Wiccan?!?! I think he's great!
    How can you not like Wiccan?

1.He's dressed like Thor but he has Wanda's powers.
    2.He's dainty
    3.He always finds reasons to talk about his relationship with Hulking
    4.He hasn't done anything interesting.
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48  Edited By Erik
    Vance Astro said:
    "pixelized said:

2.He's dainty
    "
    Lol.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By pixelized
    Vance Astro said:
    "pixelized said:

2.He's dainty
    "
    1. Lightning Powers.
    2. He's not the muscle of the group
    3. He totally paused for a second to say that Cassie needed help.
    4. that's up to the individual.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    pixelized said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "pixelized said:

2.He's dainty
    "
    1. Lightning Powers.
    2. He's not the muscle of the group
    3. He totally paused for a second to say that Cassie needed help.
    4. that's up to the individual.
    "
    1.That's 1 of like 8 powers.He also has Pyrokenesis...would it have been acceptable for him to dress like Firelord?
    2.I know..Neither is Hawkeye and she's less dainty.
    3.Doesn't make it better.They are like the perfect couple.There is nothing more boring than two people who actually love each other.
    4.He hasn't though.3 major events..nothing.He hasn't really done much period.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.