What is the Sorcerer Supreme's area of responsibility?

#1 Edited by Brit (372 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok we know that the Sorcerer Supreme's task is to protect us from any mystical threat but where does he start and where does it end? In the mortal realm? Does this include other planets as well? For example, what if a mystical threat wreaks havoc in the Kree homeworld Hala or the Skrull Throneworld Tarnax IV must the Sorcerer Supreme intervene? I think he must because even though it is a different planet, it is still in the mortal realm. That's just my opinion. I need your help brothers and sisters.

#2 Posted by RaptorFratBoy (550 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe The Sorcerer Supreme has always been relegated to the Earth Realm, and so protects that sole planet from direct threats. Each separate Alien culture presumably have their own ways of dealing with inter-dimensional/magical attacks.

#3 Posted by Phorqe (2109 posts) - - Show Bio
@RaptorFratBoy: 
I agree that he's probably limited to the earth realm. Anything outside of earth would be too far to be a reasonable expectation of his powers since there aren't even other life forms within our solar system.
#4 Edited by rein (1330 posts) - - Show Bio

In the classic strange books, it is explained that their is a sorcerer supreme for each dimension and that he or she has to protect our entire dimension from magical attack , earth and all other planets included.  Although that explanation made sense for classic strange ( at his peak he has been shown to be able to hold his own and defeat the beyonder) the modern strange would barely be able to defend our own planet let alone the kree home-world.

#5 Edited by Brit (372 posts) - - Show Bio
@RaptorFratBoy said:

" I believe The Sorcerer Supreme has always been relegated to the Earth Realm, and so protects that sole planet from direct threats. Each separate Alien culture presumably have their own ways of dealing with inter-dimensional/magical attacks. "

you have a point, maybe other alien race have their own ways of dealing with it. but what about dimension? its confusing the hell out of me.
#6 Edited by Brit (372 posts) - - Show Bio
@Phorqe said:

" @RaptorFratBoy:  I agree that he's probably limited to the earth realm. Anything outside of earth would be too far to be a reasonable expectation of his powers since there aren't even other life forms within our solar system. "

in the Marvel universe they do have aliens :D but i see your point it is either to far away to be concerned and as RaptorFratBoy said they may have their won way of dealing with supernatural things.
#7 Posted by Kastiel (8919 posts) - - Show Bio
@Brit said:
" @Phorqe said:

" @RaptorFratBoy:  I agree that he's probably limited to the earth realm. Anything outside of earth would be too far to be a reasonable expectation of his powers since there aren't even other life forms within our solar system. "

in the Marvel they do have aliens :D but i see your point it is either to far away to be concerned and as RaptorFratBoy said they may have their won way of dealing with supernatural things. "

Of course Marvel has aliens, who doesn't?
#8 Posted by rein (1330 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kastiel said:
" @Brit said:
" @Phorqe said:

in the Marvel they do have aliens :D but i see your point it is either to far away to be concerned and as RaptorFratBoy said they may have their won way of dealing with supernatural things. "
Of course Marvel has aliens, who doesn't? "
The watchmen universe didn't have aliens
#9 Posted by Kastiel (8919 posts) - - Show Bio
@rein said:
" @Kastiel said:
" @Brit said:
" @Phorqe said:

The watchmen universe didn't have aliens "

Watchmen sucks, they're not of mainstream importance.
#10 Posted by rein (1330 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kastiel said:
" @rein said:
" @Kastiel said:
" @Brit said:
" @Phorqe said:

Watchmen sucks, they're not of mainstream importance. "
As much as they suck they still are a superhero universe xd
#11 Posted by Kastiel (8919 posts) - - Show Bio
@rein said:
" @Kastiel said:
" @rein said:
" @Kastiel said:
" @Brit said:
" @Phorqe said:

Watchmen sucks, they're not of mainstream importance. "
As much as they suck they still are a superhero universe xd "

I just pretend they don't exist especially since I watched the movie. It p!ssed me off and then I traded it in the very same night for Obsessed.
#12 Posted by rein (1330 posts) - - Show Bio
lol it was better then some other main stream superhero movies 
#13 Posted by Phorqe (2109 posts) - - Show Bio
@Brit said:
" @Phorqe said:

in the Marvel universe they do have aliens :D but i see your point it is either to far away to be concerned and as RaptorFratBoy said they may have their won way of dealing with supernatural things. "
Notice I said SOLAR SYSTEM. I'm well aware of there being aliens in Marvel, but they are inter-galactic. Even if there were aliens on Mars being attacked by mystical creatures, it wouldn't be reasonable for Sorcerer Supreme to deal with them as they are millions of miles away.
#14 Edited by Brit (372 posts) - - Show Bio
@Phorqe said:

" @Brit said:

" @Phorqe said:

in the Marvel universe they do have aliens :D but i see your point it is either to far away to be concerned and as RaptorFratBoy said they may have their won way of dealing with supernatural things. "
Notice I said SOLAR SYSTEM. I'm well aware of there being aliens in Marvel, but they are inter-galactic. Even if there were aliens on Mars being attacked by mystical creatures, it wouldn't be reasonable for Sorcerer Supreme to deal with them as they are millions of miles away. "
then he is tied to earth then which is more acceptable.
#15 Edited by rein (1330 posts) - - Show Bio
@Phorqe said:

" @Brit said:

" @Phorqe said:

Notice I said SOLAR SYSTEM. I'm well aware of there being aliens in Marvel, but they are inter-galactic. Even if there were aliens on Mars being attacked by mystical creatures, it wouldn't be reasonable for Sorcerer Supreme to deal with them as they are millions of miles away. "
if you read essentials he has gone to other planets and defended the inhabitants from beings of magical origin.
#16 Posted by Brit (372 posts) - - Show Bio
@rein said:
" @Phorqe said:

" @Brit said:

" @Phorqe said:

if you read essentials he has gone to other planets and defended the inhabitants from beings of magical origin. "
Really? Nope i haven't read them, but it does give premise as to protecting the mortal realm, aliens included. Plus he is friends with the Watcher ain't he?
#17 Posted by rein (1330 posts) - - Show Bio
@Brit said:
" @rein said:
" @Phorqe said:

" @Brit said:

" @Phorqe said:

if you read essentials he has gone to other planets and defended the inhabitants from beings of magical origin. "
Really? Nope i haven't read them, but it does give premise as to protecting the mortal realm, aliens included. Plus he is friends with the Watcher ain't he? "
Actually he is friends with alot of high level beings including the living tribunal, eternity and even galactus ( has saved his ass quite a few times actually) 
#18 Posted by rein (1330 posts) - - Show Bio
when i say friends with the living tribunal and eternity i mean they both owe him favors with eternity lending strange his powers whenever he needs them.
#19 Posted by Phorqe (2109 posts) - - Show Bio
@rein: 
I personally haven't seen him go to other planets. I'm not disagreeing with you, but it does seem unreasonable for his responsibilities to include defending the entire universe against mystical menaces. Earth has enough problems to require him being there full time. Surely other planets must encounter such problems. It wouldn't make any sense for earth to be the only place that is under attack. I'd think that him going to other planets would involve some massive threat and not just another day in the office.
#20 Edited by rein (1330 posts) - - Show Bio
@Phorqe said:

" @rein:  I personally haven't seen him go to other planets. I'm not disagreeing with you, but it does seem unreasonable for his responsibilities to include defending the entire universe against mystical menaces. Earth has enough problems to require him being there full time. Surely other planets must encounter such problems. It wouldn't make any sense for earth to be the only place that is under attack. I'd think that him going to other planets would involve some massive threat and not just another day in the office. "

actually his position of defending just the earth and the entire universe has differed from writer to writer,  at some points he is only earth's defender, at other points he has helped the  Kree, Skrull and Shi'ar Empires
#21 Posted by rein (1330 posts) - - Show Bio
his defense of the kree skrull and shi'ar empires were during his defender days though
#22 Edited by Brit (372 posts) - - Show Bio
@rein said:

" his defense of the kree skrull and shi'ar empires were during his defender days though "

Oh ok. So again, as with all the answers, it falls on the one who writes the stories.
#23 Posted by rein (1330 posts) - - Show Bio
@Brit: yep
#24 Edited by Lufie (19 posts) - - Show Bio

True Answer :  

1. Sorcerer Supreme should be the absolute best mystic of the realm they take part in.

2. Sorcerer Supreme should  protect the realm each Sorcerer Supreme  take part from blowing to pieces.   

Usually  a "realm' is not just a planet. It's a hall dimension, a small universe.

Very simple. If you keep those two rules, you're free to do whatever the heck you want.  

Like, killing off every humanoid in your realm or something.  

As long as you keep the dimension(a small universe) from being lets say.. totally erased, terminated.   

The structure & space and time itself is important. Doesn't really have to be nice to the inhabitants. 

On Doctor Strange's case, his realm is Earth - 616

holy shit.

So.. you get the idea. And he's not that kind to the  inhabitors... at all...  (See what he does to Skrulls and Foes...)

But Basically 

he's the Sorcerer Supreme of Earth Dimension (including Galaxys) 

Means unless you teleport to other realms, how far you may go, You are in the EARTH DIMENSION ㅇㅇ 

This is Earth Dimension's case, the range  can be variable in each dimentions.
Realm or dimension is way different concept from Galaxys or planets.    

A.

Doc already did his vast-universe-control-supreme thing many times, so, the  planet earth is never he's limit. 
   He keeps balence of as many realms as he can, he's always out there in outer-universes. that's what classic Doc is.  

B.

After eating up(??) Shuma, He refused to come back to Earth Dimension because he would destroy  Galaxys  by just the presense of  
    his powerful-chaos-god being. SO, Earth Realm definitely includes Galaxys. It's a small universe.  

C.

Yes, earth is not the only place open to attack. So Doc does his business trip on extra dimensional-or-universe-scale mumbo-jumbos.  
     And as i said before, Doc protects human-race because he loves them and he IS part of them. Not because he's the SS.  
     SS is no hero. 

Doc moves back and forth from almost a god or a cosmic being to Eath's mightiest Mystic, 
So being the SS of E-616 just can't be 46years all-the-time  
But that's the spot always ready for him, not for others.  

Honestly, how many mystic can blow-up a dimension by just waving his hand? 
(This was even before he became SS)

I openly welcome any  questions or debates about my opinion!

#25 Posted by Brit (372 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lufie said:
"

True Answer :  

1. Sorcerer Supreme should be the absolute best mystic of the realm they take part in.

2. Sorcerer Supreme should  protect the realm each Sorcerer Supreme  take part from blowing to pieces.   

Usually  a "realm' is not just a planet. It's a hall dimension, a small universe.

Very simple. If you keep those two rules, you're free to do whatever the heck you want.  

Like, killing off every humanoid in your realm or something.  

As long as you keep the dimension(a small universe) from being lets say.. totally erased, terminated.   

The structure & space and time itself is important. Doesn't really have to be nice to the inhabitants. 

On Doctor Strange's case, his realm is Earth - 616

holy shit.

So.. you get the idea. And he's not that kind to the  inhabitors... at all...  (See what he does to Skrulls and Foes...)

But Basically 

he's the Sorcerer Supreme of Earth Dimension (including Galaxys) 

Means unless you teleport to other realms, how far you may go, You are in the EARTH DIMENSION ㅇㅇ 

This is Earth Dimension's case, the range  can be variable in each dimentions.
Realm or dimension is way different concept from Galaxys or planets.    

A.

Doc already did his vast-universe-control-supreme thing many times, so, the  planet earth is never he's limit. 
   He keeps balence of as many realms as he can, he's always out there in outer-universes. that's what classic Doc is.  

B.

After eating up(??) Shuma, He refused to come back to Earth Dimension because he would destroy  Galaxys  by just the presense of  
    his powerful-chaos-god being. SO, Earth Realm definitely includes Galaxys. It's a small universe.  

C.

Yes, earth is not the only place open to attack. So Doc does his business trip on extra dimensional-or-universe-scale mumbo-jumbos.       And as i said before, Doc protects human-race because he loves them and he IS part of them. Not because he's the SS.       SS is no hero.      Doc moves back and forth from almost a god or a cosmic being to Eath's mightiest Mystic, So being the SS of E-616 just can't be 46years all-the-time  But that's the spot always ready for him, not for others.   Honestly, how many mystic can blow-up a dimension by just waving his hand? (This was even before he became SS)  I openly welcome any  questions or debates about my opinion!        "
are you saying that heaven and hell is not a part of the 616 universe?
#26 Posted by PrimeDirective (449 posts) - - Show Bio

It's done on a dimensional level. We know this because Clea is the Sorceress Supreme of the Dark Dimension and Illyana Rasputin has off and on held the title of Sorceress Supreme of Limbo. Their job is to safeguard their dimension's entirety just as it was Dr. Strange's responsibility (and now Brother Voodoo's) to safeguard Earth's dimension in its entirety. I'd imagine that the Negative Zone has a Sorcerer Supreme as well, and I think it'd be safe to assume Mojo is basically the equivalent of the Sorcerer Supreme of Mojoverse.

Now, alternate realities have been shown to have their own versions of places like Limbo and the Negative Zone (and with their own variations of their Sorcerer Supreme), so we can assume that Dr. Strange wasn't the Sorcerer Supreme of all the 616. I'd say that's where the limit of his jurisdiction ends, at the borders of the dimension earth resides in only. 

#27 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

He keeps are dimension/universe/reality safe

#28 Edited by Celunon (36 posts) - - Show Bio

The Sorcerer Supreme of the Earth dimension protects the entire universe. There are Sorcerers Supreme of individual planets, like Urthona of Gevaltu, in a distant galaxy, but of these, there is a "supreme Sorcerer Supreme", so to say. Certainly, some extradimensional mystical threats can have cosmic-level consequences; Dormammu once stated he would destroy the Celestials, and in another instance, his use of the Evil Eye threatened the Skrull and Kree empires.

Mystic Arcana also briefly commented on this, it mentioned that there seemed to be conflicting information on the issue; McNee theorized on possibly Sorcerers Supreme for every solar system, and one of them is chosen for the dimensional title.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.