RUMOR: JOHNNY DEPP LOOKING INTO PLAYING DR STRANGE

#1 Edited by JMG (224 posts) - - Show Bio

Could Pirates of the Caribbean and Alice in Wonderland star Johnny Depp soon add another quirky Disney-owned character to his filmography?

"A well-connected source informed me tonight that Johnny Depp has taken a meeting with Marvel to discuss taking on the role of Dr. Strange," claims Latino-Review.

They say Marvel's eager to land Depp despite the commercial failure of last summer's The Lone Ranger and that they would even rework the script's thirty-something Doctor Strange to better fit the 50-year-old actor.

However, as the site wisely cautions, "while Depp has met with Marvel, and both sides want this to work, it doesn’t mean it will."

Doctor Strange, a longtime favorite of Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige, is a Marvel Phase 3 project, meaning it likely wouldn't hit theaters until at least 2016. Depp currently has Pirates of the Caribbean 5 and Alice in Wonderland 2 on his docket of upcoming projects.

Johnny Depp Reportedly Eyed for Doctor Strange Movie - Source

#2 Posted by JMG (224 posts) - - Show Bio

God I hope this happens. That would be so bad ass!

#3 Posted by tikhunt (676 posts) - - Show Bio

No.No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no. Dr Strange needs to be portrayed by someone more mature. I could be wrong but I don't see it working.

#4 Posted by SmashBrawler (5748 posts) - - Show Bio

@tikhunt said:

No.No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no. Dr Strange needs to be portrayed by someone more mature. I could be wrong but I don't see it working.

Johnny Depp is 50. Seems about right to me.

#5 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11637 posts) - - Show Bio

This rumor was proven false.

#6 Posted by Perethorn (3401 posts) - - Show Bio

I just want Steven Seagal to play Wong.

#7 Posted by Transformers1024 (1959 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love it if he played Dr. strange!! Hope somehow it comes true!

#8 Edited by SonOfHellstorm (230 posts) - - Show Bio

This rumor was proven false.

Thank God! I don't want Johnny Depp playing Edward Scissorhands, who is playing Captain Jack Sparrow, who is playing Tonto playing my favorite comic book character. As talented as he is, all of his recent characters, had the same personality- Captain Jack. And that is NOT Doctor Strange's character.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.