Doctor Strange - New Avengers 2013

#1 Posted by MisterStrange (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey guys! 
I'm greek and i'm new here so forgive any spelling mistakes or context errors :p 

So I was wondering.. Doctor Strange is sorcerer supreme again, right?  
But what does that really mean? He got back his cloak of levitation and the eye of agamotto.. but how much of his own mystical power is trully recovered? 
His confidence has been down ever since the M-day and his hands got crushed by world war Hulk.. Magik even beat him with a trick in AvsX.. so it seemed that modern Strange was not much of a superhero.. 
But in New Avengers #34 he managed to defend himself from all kinds of attacks from the possessed avengers, even those of Thor and Red Hulk.. 
So what do you think? 
Do we have the good old all powerful Doctor Strange back?!  
I guess we are about to witness his current skills in New Avengers upcoming issues :)

#2 Posted by SoA (4772 posts) - - Show Bio

i like to think so (even though i wish someone else got the title and he stayed just dr strange) and that fight against all the new avengers was great !

also welcome to comicvine!

#3 Posted by MisterStrange (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah i agree. as long as Strange got his full power back though.. he's such an old character i don't like him being all powerless! 
But with his movie officially announced there might be a reason he returned to his supreme status

Thanks! :)

#4 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@MisterStrange: As far as I know, he still is not the Sorcerer Supreme although he is in possession of all the toys that come with the position... After Dr. Voodoo died, the eye and cloak just sort of 'went to Dr. Strange.'

But, it does make sense for him to become the Sorcerer Supreme again...

#5 Posted by chocobojam (288 posts) - - Show Bio

I just think that magic is really hard to write because magic is so broad and it has so many possibilities. maybe they just dont want to make doctor strange to become too much powerful.

#6 Posted by MisterStrange (6 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timandm said:

@MisterStrange: As far as I know, he still is not the Sorcerer Supreme although he is in possession of all the toys that come with the position... After Dr. Voodoo died, the eye and cloak just sort of 'went to Dr. Strange.'

But, it does make sense for him to become the Sorcerer Supreme again...

Actually the cloak and the eye kinda disappeared after Voodoo's death, and the Ancient one gave them back to Strange in New Avengers #34 naming him Sorcerer Supreme again.. but what you said seems logical as well.. hence the confusion :p 

@chocobojam said:

I just think that magic is really hard to write because magic is so broad and it has so many possibilities. maybe they just dont want to make doctor strange to become too much powerful.

You have a point here.. when Strange was too much powerful in the past it resulted in him not being able to take part in battles, like the Civil War ;)  

#7 Edited by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@MisterStrange: Huh... How the smurf did I miss that? Thank you!

edit --> I just dug through my stuff and I completely skipped that issue... never even read it... I'm glad you pointed this out.

#8 Posted by MisterStrange (6 posts) - - Show Bio

hehe you're welcome !

#9 Posted by JediXMan (30193 posts) - - Show Bio

I always preferred powerful Dr. Strange to weak Strange. He should be held to a higher standard than other Earth heroes. He's a multidimensional defender of Earth; he shouldn't be a part of the Avengers, where he'd be handling day-to-day stuff that they can do on their own. He should do his own thing in his own series, pop up every once in awhile in other books, and wait for the big events to take an active role with other heroes (and by "big even," I mean things like the Thanos Imperative, where it was multidimensional).

That is how Dr. Strange should be handled.

Also, this is my absolute favorite costume for Dr. Strange, and I wouldn't mind it becoming his current costume in 616.

#10 Posted by TheSecondOpinion (614 posts) - - Show Bio

@MisterStrange said:

So I was wondering.. Doctor Strange is sorcerer supreme again, right?

For the current Universe, yes.

But what does that really mean? He got back his cloak of levitation and the eye of agamotto.. but how much of his own mystical power is trully recovered?

Dr. Strange's "own" mystical power has always been recovered, in fact; it had never left him. The title Sorcerer Supreme basically means he is the sole protector of the Multiverse again. Being Sorcerer Supreme he has an additional power set. Beside his two personal power sets.

Dr. Strange: Master of the Mystic Arts =

1. Personal Power
  2. Drawing Power

Dr. Strange: Sorcerer Supreme =

1. Personal Power
  2. Drawing Power
  3. Conjuring Power
  • Personal Power means self generating energy of mind, body and spirit
  • Drawing Power means channeling from ambient energy around
  • Conjuring Power are loaned powers that are stackalbe. He uses it by invoking extradimensional deities.
His confidence has been down ever since the M-day and his hands got crushed by world war Hulk.. Magik even beat him with a trick in AvsX.. so it seemed that modern Strange was not much of a superhero..

Well those are three separate realities. And besides, Alanzo's vision of Marvel is different than Quasada's vision of Marvel.

But in New Avengers #34 he managed to defend himself from all kinds of attacks from the possessed avengers, even those of Thor and Red Hulk..
So what do you think?

Well the real Sorcerer Supreme (that is Stan Lee's up to DeFlanco's Dr. Strange) doesn't fight lower Earth bound heroes and Earth bound villain. A Sorcerer Supreme's real job is to protect the multiverse from malevolent entities that are beyond the multiverse. Protects extradimensional from comming inside the multiverse.

Do we have the good old all powerful Doctor Strange back?!

I doubt it. I don't think Alanzo's newly hired writers are competent of keeping consistency of Stan's and Defalco's dedicated writers.

#11 Posted by MisterStrange (6 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan: Amen to that!! 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.