Doctor Strange is next to useless now

#1 Edited by Dumbseid (37 posts) - - Show Bio

Before the man was something of a plot device, could do any magic, fix everything like silver age superman. Today he can't stop Hulk even with Zom power, or couldnt do anything about Sentry (crap psycho version of superman), couldnt prevent Ironfists jet from crashing, has sex with his students, gets schooled in magic by the Xmen in Vs battles

Voodoo or Wanda should replace him...oh wait...they canceled Voodoo and messed up Wanda's character. Even in his 'Defenders' team he's a fifth wheel

New Stephen Strange is almost worthless

he should retire and teach yoga or something

#2 Posted by Danial79 (2347 posts) - - Show Bio

This is true. He used to be a deus ex machina device, but now they've swung him the other way and he does little more than provide background knowledge whenever they face a mystical threat. I miss the old Doctor Strange :(

#3 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

Really, REALLY wish they could find a way to write him as a balanced character. Before he was, indeed, too powerful to be a part of regular story lines because he was a story breaker. But this..this stuff you describe (and some of it I've read) was not the solution. Establish finite upper limits to his power, I mean hard and fast rules, possibly physical side effects to his use of his magic, etc. and you can make him viable again. It IS possible to do magical characters successfully just look at Hellblazer!!!

#4 Posted by JamDamage (1114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dumbseid: I never read Doctor Strange before. To.................magic(y) for me. I'll stick to Harry Potter. My question is tho. Now that he's not the Supreme magic man, what the hell can he do now. I see him with these funky ass arm bands, but what do they do?

#5 Posted by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dumbseid said:

Before the man was something of a plot device, could do any magic, fix everything like silver age superman. Today he can't stop Hulk even with Zom power, or couldnt do anything about Sentry (crap psycho version of superman), couldnt prevent Ironfists jet from crashing, has sex with his students, gets schooled in magic by the Xmen in Vs battles

Voodoo or Wanda should replace him...oh wait...they canceled Voodoo and messed up Wanda's character. Even in his 'Defenders' team he's a fifth wheel

New Stephen Strange is almost worthless

he should retire and teach yoga or something.

I've been reading the old Marvel Masterpiece collections of Doctor Strange and he has been quickly turning into my favorite magical character. Personally I've been enjoying the Defenders, I'm still wondering what he said to Betty that made her De-Hulk in issue 2 or 3. Technically though he's not supposed to be that powerful now right? He lost the Sorcerer Supreme title to Voodoo right?

#6 Posted by BlackPookie (640 posts) - - Show Bio

He will come back again as the sorcerer supreme...

i miss that!

#7 Posted by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

Please bring the good old Doctor Strange back!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.